• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
I've had no success on getting externals working in a stable fashion at all (not just rest mode; a lot of games hard crash) and have now bailed on it until I hear if there's any update on that.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Happy launch day to you guys! Hope everyone that has wanted to get a system, has had a chance. I was at gamestop today picking up my ps5 games. The guy cashing me out was saying NOT to put the ps5 in rest mode. That putting it in rest mode causes it to brick.......Now I am concerned so have been shutting it off when I am done. What do you guys think? Anyone bricked because of rest mode?
Sounds like a bored employee telling old wives tales to sound inciteful. You think this completely rando GameStop employee already figured out something that's gone unnoticed from the rest of the internet including other reviewers who've had weeks with the console?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
You better use it extensively to make sure that your PS5 is not lemon. If it's going to brick, make it brick when under warranty.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
That's idiotic. They've sold literally millions of these and rest mode is the default setting. If it's a problem we would know about it, or Sony would disable the feature.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Gamestop rep sold the guy in front of me on a warranty after telling him about all the "xbox's catching on fire" from those vape videos going around yesterday. Don't listen to these guys for everything.

"Xboxes catching fire"? From people blowing literal water vapor into them? I think I've found the problem.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm sure the guy at GameStop making $8 an hour REALLY KNOWS what will and won't brick a PS5.

What is this thread, even? How is it even still open? OP clearly baited everyone as they dipped out after the first post and never came back.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting tech advice from a Gamestop cashier is the same as getting a political opinion from your family's facebook posts. And yes that would include me if I were behind the register.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been using PS5 for a couple of weeks and have had it in Rest Mode pretty much the entire time. No issues. And yes, I also have an external HDD attached.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'd research it, but general rule for Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.

Yep.

I have known a few awesome Gamestop clerks that knew what they were talking about. And you know what? Gamestop fired them because they weren't selling enough snake oil.

I know it's not the employee's fault that they have to peddle Gamestop's bullshit, but trying to sell scratch protection warranties for blu ray discs? Really? I've always felt bad for parents going into a Gamestop that have no idea what they're being sold. I'm sure plenty of them have walked out of that store with dozens of pre-orders, 2 warranties they'll never need, a pro membership they'll never use, and of course a brand new subscription to Game Informer.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Actually never had a problem with rest mode before, but today my PS5 keeps crashing while trying to play the Spider-Man games and I did enable partial rest mode just to charge controllers then full rest mode while downloading them.

I saw this: https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1326383782254047232?s=21

So, now I'm going to see if a full system reset can make either game run for more than 30 seconds after the intro cutscene.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Never trust anecdotal evidence. This is all extremely anecdotal so don't worry and use your PS5 however you want.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Happy launch day to you guys! Hope everyone that has wanted to get a system, has had a chance. I was at gamestop today picking up my ps5 games. The guy cashing me out was saying NOT to put the ps5 in rest mode. That putting it in rest mode causes it to brick.......Now I am concerned so have been shutting it off when I am done. What do you guys think? Anyone bricked because of rest mode?

I just put my PS5 into rest mode for the first time half an hour ago. Oh man I'm scared to turn it back on. Quick question: So do we press the power button once to put the PS5 into rest mode and hold it to turn it off?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He read it happened to one person and assumes its some widespread issue that Sony's engineers didn't figure out. So ridiculous.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
Actually never had a problem with rest mode before, but today my PS5 keeps crashing while trying to play the Spider-Man games and I did enable partial rest mode just to charge controllers then full rest mode while downloading them.

I saw this: https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1326383782254047232?s=21

So, now I'm going to see if a full system reset can make either game run for more than 30 seconds after the intro cutscene.

This was the issue I was having that went away when I stopped using externals.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at acting like it's wise to avoid even putting a PS4 into rest mode, "just in case".

If rest mode bricks your console, you have a defective unit and need to get it replaced so you can enjoy it without babying the thing.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that this happened this year. I wouldn't exactly trust anything Gamestop has to say about a non Xbox console. https://www.resetera.com/threads/ga...-strategic-partnership-with-microsoft.302759/
Fuck gamestop and all, but this is just silly conjecture. There's absolutely no way a company tells their employees to make random lies that could alienate Sony. That email would have leaked immediately.

The clerk in question most likely just read a tweet or two and ran with it.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Use rest mode. You have a year warranty. A lot of retail employees, especially young ones, get their info from twitter, so like, you'll be fine lmao

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds fishy...
To be on the safe side. I'll just end whatever game I'm running and then go into reset mode.

Oct 27, 2017
you're going to want an official posting/response on that

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck gamestop and all, but this is just silly conjecture. There's absolutely no way a company tells their employees to make random lies that could alienate Sony. That email would have leaked immediately.

The clerk in question most likely just read a tweet or two and ran with it.

No way Gamestop actually told their employees to do it, but I can see how that kind of micro culture could be cultivated among some employees because of this.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yo a guy outside my GameStop said my Ps5 would brick unless I upgraded the membership I just signed up for to platinum which costs a fair amount but only amounts to 10% off used games that cost under a certain amount by the way do you want to preorder the third dlc for GAAS game you've only heard of but don't play and did you want a warranty on your new game it only costs 4.99 THREE 99 with a platinum membership and did you want a receipt emailed to you