• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 13, 2018
Happy launch day to you guys! Hope everyone that has wanted to get a system, has had a chance. I was at gamestop today picking up my ps5 games. The guy cashing me out was saying NOT to put the ps5 in rest mode. That putting it in rest mode causes it to brick.......Now I am concerned so have been shutting it off when I am done. What do you guys think? Anyone bricked because of rest mode?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Have been using mine in and out of rest mode all day today. Seems fine so far but I'm just one user

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I never use rest mode because it has been known to cause some (minor) performance issues in the past. Obviously not bricking the console. But I can happily wait a few extra seconds to turn on the console and save a bit of money.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
One streamer has had their brick after they said there were issues with external storage and rest mode.

But that could very well be a million other things.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
Don't listen to the GameStop guy. I too have been using my PS5 for three weeks, and putting it in rest mode every time I shut it down. It's fine.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
That's absurd.. if there was a bug this huge, we would have heard by now.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
If it bricks from rest mode that means it's defective and should be sent back. It doesn't mean "just never use this key feature and you'll be fine."

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Some guys had issues with the rest mode being involved. But you gotta see the big picture and it only happened to a few people out there. But yeah, if you want to be sure, pretend that rest mode doesn't exist for now (although i think the chance of bricking the console is very small),

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm not sure about it bricking but I will say when I leave my PS5 in standby mode it gets kinda sluggish in the menus until I restart

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like an old wives' tale that has quickly spread through fear of bricked consoles.

I very much doubt that putting your PS5 into rest mode will brick it.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Yeah, I would not take a random Gamestop Andy's advice. He probably just read anecdotes of bricked PS5 on reddit.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, also Xbox Series X will catch on fire and spew smoke.

Just because it has happened to someone does not mean it is a systemic problem.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
it's almost impossible that putting it in rest mode alone can cause problems
Rest mode + some other thing sounds more reasonable

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Reading the PS5 OT here and reddit sub it seems there is definitely something up with rest mode and/or external drives. there are too many people having problems with this by now.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm going to use my LAN port, back USB and PS5 rest mode until there is evidence not to 🤷‍♂️

R2RD

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 6, 2018
There seems to be some issues with rest mode and spiderman MM but nothing about the getting brick because of it.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I've been seeing a lot of talk about rest mode issues. Would be insane if true.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If it does brick, you can always trade it in for store credit, minus a small refurbishing fee!

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The guy at my local GameStop said they had more single ps5 controls to sell because the consoles were blowing up lol I don't ever go to them for news. He's a good guy though, never pushes any thing on me.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
One guy in one gamestop saying not to put it in rest mode is not gamestop telling customers in general not to put it in rest mode.

Man these kind of titles are so misleading.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Weighing two things here:

- hardware problems not uncommon with new hardware

- Gamestop/etc. employees not knowing crap but pretending to be experts to customers is also not uncommon.

Either way its shady - like buying a new car and the dealer telling you never to put it in neutral.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Does the PS5 scold you like a child that did something bad if the power gets cut unexpectedly like the PS4 would?

I'm sorry I don't control when momentary power outages occur, Sony. Please stop throwing up warning screens and beeping at me.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Never used rest mode besides downloading overnight so yeah I'll keep doing that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes you put your PS5 to rest .. sometimes it never comes out of rest.

eab21713056973a72abc6ca4bff951d6.gif

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the issues people are having with rest mode have been specifically when having an external hard drive connected. At least from what I've seen (Jeff gerstmann, yongyea, ACG). Of those three ACG's ps5 died.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Afaik the problems have all been rest mode + external storage. So if you really wanna be cautious unhook the external storage when you put the thing in rest mode. But rest mode on it's own should be fine.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Never trust Gamestop staff. They always seem to be the weird, ill-informed conspiracy theorists of the gaming world.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Funny that people go like "gamestop employee talking BS" when there are users even here in the OT with problems regarding rest mode and external drives. subreddit there are also posts from people which had their consoles brick.

Karak(ACG) had his console dying when coming out of rest mode and Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb also had his console crashing after rest mode.