• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
They gave me a brand new PS4 Pro at 50€ by giving them my OG (D1) PS4, they are the only one to do this so yeah, I'm gonna miss them in therms of console swap.

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely don't want to see GameStop go anywhere. For me, place is awesome. Picked up DMC 5 last night at 9pm EST. Traded in Metro Exodus for $35 (im an Elite Pro member and wish I could renew it) and pre-ordered Sekiro for PS4 in which I used that $10 coupon I received for buying Far Cry New Dawn. Majority of my games are costing me under $30 day one which is great and something that digital or streaming for that matter will ever give me. Definitely have to support GameStop which im 100% invested into doing.

You could have sold Metro for $45 on eBay or Craigslist. Hurting yourself with those cash donations to Gamestop.

Oct 27, 2017
I like having them as an option for niche games that places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target don't carry, so I don't particularly want to see them go out of business. They probably need a complete overhaul, though.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could have sold Metro for $45 on eBay or Craigslist. Hurting yourself with those cash donations to Gamestop.

Not dealing with Craigslist and Ebay/Amazon charges fees plus I would have to charge for the shipping and go to the post office to ship it as well as buy a bubble wrap envelope. As someone who used to be a 500+ all positive feedback seller on ebay, I quit that shit six years ago. Just not worth it.

Prefer to trade in games to GameStop. Credit goes towards my next game and using Store Credit eliminates the sales tax so im automatically saving $5+ on every item. And when selling on ebay/amazon, you have to report all of it has income so it can be taxed again. Again, not worth it whatsoever.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not flawed really. No one has any idea how much revenue GameStop allocates to GI per subscription (if anything).

6 million print + web = plenty of ad revenue too.

It's folly to think that a big media company isn't looking at a magazine with 6 million circulation, the web presence and the prestige GI has, and isn't thinking they can find a way to monetize that. It could just as easily be bought by a media company who then strikes a deal with Best Buy to provide it to Their customers, etc

I'm not saying GI will stay as large as it is, but to think it's just going to vanish is insane.

GI is far too valuable and an actually successful part of their business

Agreed with all of this.

GI would have no issue surviving without GameStop. I'm sure their subscriber number would take a hit due to bundling it with PowerUp Rewards going away but they still have enough web presence as well as circulation to be worth investing in

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, after fees, shipping and potential bullshit, I wouldn't even bother. Wishy washy people from Craigslist aren't much fun either between no shows and folks trying to haggle after they've arrived despite me clarifying the price before they showed up. Just made like $38 off of Zelda BOTW a few days back, so I'll take the loss for the convenience.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, things will just go back to how they used to be when people bought their games from Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and some Brick and Mortar shops.

Ok sure, but the used game market is gonna take a hit for sure. Not everyone has the time to sell stuff on Amazon or eBay.

I suspect Gamestop closing would also affect new game sales since parents w/ their kids can't trade in old games for new ones.

Noctizs

Jan 5, 2019
TX
I only get games at GameStop lol there's just so many around me. I guess if they go down I'll go to Best Buy. I'll miss used games for cheap tho

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll see a resurgence in the mom and pop game store after gamestop inevitably collapses.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll see a resurgence in the mom and pop game store after gamestop inevitably collapses.
That feels doubtful. Without a major player like Gamestop, I expect to see a lot less physical games out in the wild than ever before. Mom and pop stores don't have the space to be a specialty game store, and places like Walmart already have reduced sections, nor do they carry many things beyond the biggest titles.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
They lost my customership as soon as they started to do this. Always thought this was BS, no matter the reason behind it.

This was one of the few things that it took to move me away from them, for the most part. I used to swing in and see if any used games could be picked up on the cheap, but there were enough sketchy interactions to keep me from spending money on any new games with them since 2011.

It was a shitty Kinect game (Rise of the Nightmares), and I had reserved it. When I arrived to pick it up on release day, the person running the register went to the shelf, took the display case down, and dug the disc out from a drawer behind the register. I told her that I wanted a new game, since that's what I paid for. She said it was new. So, I asked if there were any other copies in the store, ON RELEASE DAY, and she said there weren't.

That was the last time I bought anything new from them, and it was a few years before I went back. Prior to that, I had reserve bonuses that were taken away (literally 'sorry man, looks like they didn't send enough :wink:'), had items removed from them (CD in the Portrait of Ruin collectors edition, which I was able to get replaced by the store), and a number of used discs that had issues.

I'm sorry to the people that work there now. I'd say that I hope they have a fire sale, but I have doubts about whether or not anything I buy from them will work at all.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
The margins are too narrow on new releases. They can't afford to promote them (Gamestop has the luxury of corporate handling that). Some publishers aren't even shipping their games to independent stores until after release day, for fear of leaks.

Oct 28, 2017
Not dealing with Craigslist and Ebay/Amazon charges fees plus I would have to charge for the shipping and go to the post office to ship it as well as buy a bubble wrap envelope. As someone who used to be a 500+ all positive feedback seller on ebay, I quit that shit six years ago. Just not worth it.

Prefer to trade in games to GameStop. Credit goes towards my next game and using Store Credit eliminates the sales tax so im automatically saving $5+ on every item. And when selling on ebay/amazon, you have to report all of it has income so it can be taxed again. Again, not worth it whatsoever.

The $45 was after the fees and such. Granted, I rounded up, but still. Last time I sold a new release game a month after release, I made $43 on it after I bought the envelopes, shipping and ebay took their cut. The profit margins are far better for older games, and you can regularly sell things Gamestop will give $2 or less or even nothing at all for, for $7-15 after the charges. All you have to do is find a mailbox -- going to the post office is not necessary.

More importantly, you don't need to go to Gamestop this way. That's a benefit worth paying for.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I hope they survive.....

switch software and hardware sales in the upcoming months can help maybe

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The $45 was after the fees and such. Granted, I rounded up, but still. Last time I sold a new release game a month after release, I made $43 on it after I bought the envelopes, shipping and ebay took their cut. The profit margins are far better for older games, and you can regularly sell things Gamestop will give $2 or less or even nothing at all for, for $7-15 after the charges. All you have to do is find a mailbox -- going to the post office is not necessary.

More importantly, you don't need to go to Gamestop this way. That's a benefit worth paying for.

I don't have a printer so I can't just drop off the package in a mailbox as it would just be returned. Subtract the $5+ that im saving on sales tax and the difference is less than $3. Just not worth it. Been there, done that. Simply prefer GameStop. Never had a problem there and everyone is cool in the store I go to. It's also easier, faster and quicker. Plus, I don't have to wait for the buyer to receive the game and if they change their mind, I know that ebay never sides with the seller and if they do, it's rare. Just not worth it.

Not only that but im a physical disc gamer. If/when gaming goes all digital, im done unless the games cost $30 or less at launch. And I have zero interest in streaming games. Just not going to do it. It's also more about wanting options and not being forced to do what say for example Microsoft is trying to do yet again. Just no. Not supporting that because it's not to my benefit. Amazon and Best Buy already eliminated their 20% discounts and if GameStop goes under, it's just going to make it all worse, not better.

Anyone who believes that it's going to be better for us gamers is sadly mistaken. But hey, to each their own.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
I would shop at our local GameStop if the customer experience weren't so miserable. You're offered to be upsold on literally everything. Protection plans for everything. It's just a soul sucking experience.

Oct 25, 2017
We are witnessing one of the biggest collapses in the industry for some time. After news broke today that GameStop was unable to acquire investment to sell the business the stock price has completely collapsed. Nearing a 28% drop

Its traded as low as $11 today making it the lowest price since 2005. It is also on track to have the biggest sell off for the company since December 2002.

http:///Wced.jpg

Thoughts are with those that work for the company as there appear to be difficult times ahead

I took a look at GameStop stock and here's what I'm seeing:

6 month (shows bump up/down):
kPY0OHx.jpg

Looks like it went way up and then back down after the buyout collapsed. It's still trending down steadily, but not as dire as what the graphs you posted. Edit: took out the 5 day as I didn't realize it the OT was posted on 1/29.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Every time I walk into a Gamestop, I'm met with this overwhelming feeling of disappointment. Is this what getting old is?
Or is it just that the stores are now 60/40 toys/games

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame. Had some good times in those shops that are full of some very good people. I just don't think it's possible for them to adapt when digital is growing so quickly. Digital killed Music and Video stores gaming seemed inevitable. Those jobs will be missed.

Oct 29, 2017
I used to work there a while back.

Note that however badly you feel you have been treated as a customer within a Gamestop store, the employees are treated just as poorly if not worse. If a store's staff is lucky enough to have a Manager that cares about them, the experience of working there can be bearable. But my god...I would hate to inventory all of the kitschy crap they sell these days.

These days I usually just pop into Best Buy or buy digitally, even though I do hate the idea of brick and mortar shops going away.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol come on, no they don't. I worked for the company for over 5 years and I've been to dozens of different stores and none of them have smelled.

I worked for the company for 7+ years and I only encountered a few bad-smelling stores, but they were pretty good about getting remodels done when needed. However, the smell usually was contributed from employees not knowing proper hygiene, and customers who felt the same, I suppose.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's stopping them from just shutting down all the poor preforming stores?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
damn. better use up those gift cards.

I don't need anything though.

They gave me a coupon to get 50% extra trade in on a console so I traded in my pro for 375 credit. Like a year ago.

But I hate GameStop

Last edited:

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

What? In USA u have to report sales on the net as income? What?!?!!!

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? In USA u have to report sales on the net as income? What?!?!!!

Yeah. Just like people who make tips as waiters and waitresses. Vast majority don't but if you earn more than $600 in a year, you're legally obligated to do so. The main thing now is that within the last few years, tax laws are in place for stuff like ebay, amazon, etc. in which you have to report it. For me, it's simply not worth the hassle and potential trouble.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe GameStop should have invested more into publishing video games. Maybe slowly pivot more into a boutique indie brand like Devolver. Didn't they publish that one indie title from insomniac a few years back? iirc, I believe that was the extent of their publishing efforts.