• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
PostNord failed 1 of 2 deliveries to my home last week. While Posten and Helthjem delivered several packages without a problem. Online stores like coolshop and cdon has good enough selection for me. But I wish the 350 NOK import limit fee wasn't changed. I'm used to importing quite a few japanese version switch games like Okami, I am Setsuna, Sushi Striker, ect.
PostNord in Norway is a tad more reliable than in Sweden are they not? I know in Norway they deliver to drop off point unless you specify otherwise.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't bought anything from them in years. But there is something a bit sad about all the gaming stores dissapearing. The end of an era.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
There goes my cheap PS5 upgrade plan. Haven't bought a game from them in a decade.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
They're gradually closing down next year so I wouldnt worry about pre-orders in the near future.

I like my local gamestop, they are very good to work with. While they generally have quite high prices they also have a ton of great trade-in deals and sales from time to time. I'm gonna miss them.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
A friend of mine quit his job in security to work at GameStop. His dream is working with games. Hopefully he lands on his feet. Bummer though. (Can't say their business model was anything but flawed, as a consumer of video games and merchandise I've spent a total of 0kr at GameStop total.)

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for TV-Spelsbörsen to make a return to Nordstan in Gothenburg.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Worked for Gamestop in Denmark. The management had fuck all clue about marketing. District management were basically long-time sales assistants, who knew nothing of strategic management, but would just relish in their illusory power. Upper management was no better. They held on to the notion that being unreasonably more expensive than the competition could be justified by the service. Like, what service? That I, some nerd, could point the occasional parent towards a game better suited for their kid? I wish... Most of the time I loved doing exactly that, but the problem was that management didn't care about the very service they justified their prices with. Nah, it all came down to sales numbers of stupid, gimmick services like 'game protection' and pushing CoD on kids.

On multiple occasions I had the same customers come back and buy stuff because I gave them good service, but because I couldn't sell 50 game protection in a month, they lifted a finger. It didn't actually matter that I was standing there from 9 am to 16 pm, where literally nobody comes to buy anything; it wasn't about the statistics, but the numbers themselves. I remember this one guy who came in and bought like 20 games. Wanted game protection on everything. He wanted the expensive sort. Great. My numbers rose to the sky, and I was a hero. But even then I thought it was ridiculous; it was chance, nothing else.

There was even a store that was reknown for their ability to make pre-orders. They had so many pre-orders, that the rest of the chain couldn't understand how they did it. One of the sales assistants in that store wasn't a good talker, and in fact he seemed rather arrogant at times. He would visit my store and act bossy, because he had that reputation for creating a multitude of pre-orders. Turned out the fucker was abusing the system. I can't recall exactly what the method was, but I believe he made up some story about how things worked, manipulating customers into believing it was factored into the existing price. Some people had hundreds of pre-orders, and basically hundreds of deposits they weren't aware of. Their money was banked in Gamestop pre-orders.

Even worse, I remember when I found another job later on. Turned out a colleague of mine had also worked at Gamestop 2-3 years prior to me. They owed him 5 grand, which had just been settled in court.

Look, I sympathize with the people who are going to lose their job. That sucks. I had a lot of fun working there because of my colleagues. Really fun times. But fuck man... Gamestop management is horrendeous. On all levels. They had seemingly no authority to do anything, and they acted more as supervisors than management. I was there 5 years ago, and the ship was already sinking back then. This was inevitable, and when they pushed for a makeover, I couldn't fathom why they didn't just focus on their e-commerce. Honestly, read their annual report from '17-'18. It's scary how naive it is.

Last edited:

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that people have to lose their jobs, but this was always going to happen sooner or later. We have very fast Internet here, and also reliable 24 hour shipping from various other stores where games are cheaper.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised. If anything, I'm more surprised Gamestop in other countries is still alive. They generally charge more for certain games, systems and even merchandise. For example, in most Austrian stores and on Amazon, amiibos cost 14.99 to 15.99€, but at Gamestop they charge 19.99€ for em.

Anyway, NordicEra, if you lot are looking for Totaku figurines, I'd be happy to help getting them for you.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yesterday I went to a Gamestop to get Death Stranding 1 day early. They clearly had it. The dude was like "If you preorder...we can give you a call and you can pick it up in the afternoon".
I said No Thanks and left. They clearly had it, and I was ready to give them cash. But dont start with that pre-order shit.
Went home, waited a little bit more and bought the digital version instead. That was Gamestop Germany. I wonder how long till they close down too.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I went to a Gamestop to get Death Stranding 1 day early. They clearly had it. The dude was like "If you preorder...we can give you a call and you can pick it up in the afternoon".
I said No Thanks and left. They clearly had it, and I was ready to give them cash. But dont start with that pre-order shit.
Went home, waited a little bit more and bought the digital version instead. That was Gamestop Germany. I wonder how long till they close down too.

I mean. That is understandable. Breaking the street date can have serious repercussions, especially for the employee who sold it to you. Nobody is going to risk their job so you can play a game a day early.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No wonder. At least in Finland their prices per game have usually been like 10€ and up higher than in other game stores. Even the used game prices are pretty ridiculous. They also don't (as far as I know) have any online stores in here, which seems like a horrible idea in this day and age.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The Gamestop stores have always been quite shitty, so no wonder. Aside from their ridiculous pricing, the biggest issue BY FAR is that you pretty much never get an actual plastic-sealed copy from them; they grab a battered plastic case from their stupid stalls, dig out the disc from the lockers behind the register and stuff everything in. Not really something I'd pay extra for compared to Webhallen, Coolshop, Elgiganten, Mediamarkt or any other much superior retailer.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
So I visit Sweden quite a lot and they always seemed like the worst places to go for games. It seemed like they were more interested in selling merchandise than games and the stores look really run down.
Same in germany. Most gamestops have been stocking up on merchandise for a while, some are closing down. It´s a slow death for them.

I sometimes preorder a game because the store is on my way home, but they keep asking if I want to buy a insurance.

Nov 3, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Oh no! What about all the insurances I bought for all the "new" (well it was new according to them, even though it was opened and the case was on display in the store) games I bought from them?!

Good riddance!
Konsolinet is gonna get all my loving from now on.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
So sad to hear, so many feelings also for the people that I know and working here in Italy...at this time will be inevitable one day to close all store...

L176

Jan 10, 2019
This was completely predictable. Here in Finland they put a +10€ price tag on new games compared to other retailers. I only ever bought few used games and accesories from them.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Don't forget Stockholm still has a mom and pop brick and mortar: GameShop. I always pop in when I walk by (which is once every two years or so). Oh and Spel & Sånt in Norrtälje. Support them, not the shitty GAMEs and GameStops.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I have credit at the local GameStop but I can't even be arsed to use it.

Oct 26, 2017
The writing was on the wall. I haven't bought a game from them since... Fire Emblem Awakening, I believe. In the rare cases I want a physical copy nowadays, Webhallen or Spelbutiken are usually good. But you'd have to provide something really special to remain as a retail chain and stuffing the store with Funkos and other random merch can't be it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The closest Gamestop/EB Games is about 40kms away, so I wouldn't have been a frequent customer anyway, but yeah, their strategy of charging more for everything was not a compelling one.

The last time I did business there was probably like a decade ago. They used to have pretty good trade-in deals.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
As everyone else has said, they were not good. Still, sorry for all employees, and I find it somewhat disconcerting that there won't be any specialized game stores left on the high street in Sweden. (Well, I guess even Gamestop were only nominally a specialized game store the last couple of years considering all the funkos and shit, but still..)

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
They were probably allowed to do an early launch. I used to work at US GameStop, and some early launches started at like 6pm. We absolutely could not sell before that time.
It was like this with Black Ops 4 as well due to the huge patch required. They wanted people to download it for the game to be ready to play at the actual release date :)

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Swedish, and the only game store in my hometown, closed like 8 years ago (Game).

The shitty part is that I knew the owners, and they told us that they were one of the few successful stores in all of scandinavia, but they still had to shut down. They thought about ditching the franchise and just re-opening with a different name, but it was too much of a hassle.

I was in Stockholm last week, and couldn't find any proper gamestores. Your only options are the big electronic retailers, and they have a pretty limited selection.

Shit sucks, but I didn't really notice when it happened as I had gone full PC.
Coolt. Jag visste inte att du var Svensk. Jag är från Umeå själv.

Well it's hardly a surprise. I was actually saving som money from previous paycheck to buy " the outer worlds " when I suddenly discovered that the game was on gamepass. Better prices, sales and availability, and the fact that we are starting to have some storage issues at home , there is simply no reason to not go all digital. For me at least.

But I'm going to miss a fysical store :(

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I just went here in Finland to the Kamppi store and used all my store credit to pre order the PS5. I don't maintain high hopes that I will actually get it from them but they said they will call me in any case.
Also told me that they have entered the YTE negotiations.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Huh, missed this the first time around.

I was going to worry about where I'd get my games from, but it kind of hit me that I've bought two things from GameStop this year. A charging grip for my Switch and Fire Emblem: Three Houses Limited Edition. Everything else has been digital.

I suppose I'll need to find out where to get Limited Editions in Denmark now, or start shopping online, probably at Coolshop or something. But for standard games, I'll probably just go all digital then. Not like that'll be much of a change.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
So i hade some store credit, due to campaigns and stuff. I hade xbox scarlet and ps5 pre booked and threw in some games now and then. Went there with my kids and just spended it. The kids got a keyboard respective and a steam code for 50 euros.
I just bought shit that I sort of wanted but never got around buing. Luigis mansion, youshi, death stranding etc. They alsa hade a huge sale on mortal kombat collectors edition.
IMG-20191108-183115.jpg

I'm not really sure what I'm feeling right now actually. Trade in was my bread and butter back in the days when the kids where small and I hade a shitty jobb. Now I don't have to , it actually feels good. It became some sort of mentaly constraint.

On the other hand I'm feeling kind of sad because time is passing. My favorite have been shut down, all gamingstores also. Feels like an end of an era.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the people losing their jobs, but this wasn't unexpected. They've been good for nerd merch and such, but they generally weren't competitive for game prices. Like, my nearest GS in Oslo, I could go across the street and find a new copy of a game for cheaper than what GS was asking for a used copy.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm scared that one day I won't be able to impulse buy a new console for a new game from a store.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance, they suck. I would never go there to buy a game over all other options. Guess it's kinda sad that there are no dedicated gaming stores anymore, but eh.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, I love visiting GameStop's here in Malmö Sweden from time to time. But I understand why they are closing down. The prices sucks and are super high compared to other stores
Any idea what they usually do when people have money in their accounts ? I have like 3000kr in my account saved up for PS5 and I don't want to be forced to buy things with that money. I would rather take it and put it on another PS5 order

Why would you do such a thing? Do you get interest on that money or something, or are you just lending them your money for free?

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
PostNord in Norway is a tad more reliable than in Sweden are they not? I know in Norway they deliver to drop off point unless you specify otherwise.

Do NOT order anything they are delivering, if:
- You live in an apartment complex in a city, and
- They don't provide an alternative drop off point.
The package will get lost in the mail.

PostNord ship packages to Norway, and then outsource the delivery of small packages that fit into mail boxes to another company. That company is normally responsible for delivering news papers to subscribers, and they don't have keys to mail boxes or, apperently, apartment complexes. That is what I was told in one of my many calls to customer support.

Picking up larger packages at drop off points inside supermarkets is usually not a problem. I was unaware that small packages could be delivered to stores, hope that's true.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Do NOT order anything they are delivering, if:
- You live in an apartment complex in a city, and
- They don't provide an alternative drop off point.
The package will get lost in the mail.

PostNord ship packages to Norway, and then outsource the delivery of small packages that fit into mail boxes to another company. That company is normally responsible for delivering news papers to subscribers, and they don't have keys to mail boxes or, apperently, apartment complexes. That is what I was told in one of my many calls to customer support.

Picking up larger packages at drop off points inside supermarkets is usually not a problem. I was unaware that small packages could be delivered to stores, hope that's true.
Yes. My letterbox does not have keys or a lock and my house number is seen on it however I always get issues for small packages that can fit in letterboxes. Once I get the email I always contact their live chat thing and say please deliver to my drop off point. Takes an extra day but always works