• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
There needs to be a Metroid version of this GIF:

tenor.gif

wish granted

z8u0VW0.gif

Oct 26, 2017
If this is a good indication of more Metroid games in the future so I can see less envy from Metroid fans, I'll take it

Regarding the whole "parents pre-ordering games for their kids", how many parents have you guys heard of that do that? Because I've never seen that in my entire life. It's dedicated gamers who'll actually pre-order games

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
That's cool and all but the NPD for Switch has looked identical for over 4 years at this point. Seems like it's the same old shit selling over and over. This pre order chart following E3 does nothing for me.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is still killing it. I lol at Madden despite it not even being at E3, and just being announced normally and getting a fuck-ton of pre-orders.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah if you're just talking about questionable practices in general, I think all 3 companies get called out quite often (more than necessary in my opinion) for anti-consumer whatever. The term is totally overused here regarding all companies, so I think Nintendo gets their fair share of heat. I often see Nintendo fans attacked for 'accepting' or buying things like the Mario Collection or a full priced port, so people who buy them will often defend their purchase. Personally I'd like it if Nintendo charged less for some stuff, but if it's still worth the value to me (like the Mario Collection) then I'll buy it. Full priced remastered of games I already have I'll definitely pass on.

With that said, I do think Nintendo has put out plenty of brand new games on the Switch. The last 18 months might have been a tad rough due to the pandemic but there is plenty to buy aside ports. This year is looking solid on that front and next year could be amazing. Hopefully you find some stuff you like.
They get called out often, but it feels like for every callout there is a defendant for the company, which just rubs me the wrong way, multi billion dollar companies should not need defence.

And "accepting"... i literally se begings, like "just give me WW for 60, ill buy that in a heartbeat" or stuff like that all the time, especially before big directs.
Another one is the OoA/OoS Zelda games. Released on GB for 35$ each. If they now release them for 60-70 each, you would have (since i have argued with those already..) that the price is okay, even if its a remake of an existing game, with existing dungeon design, using the last remake engine...There are enough apologists here that argue that this is a reasonable price for the product.

It it also clear, that there are a lot of people that are not happy with that tactics, are anoyed, buy it since they still want to play the game and get attacked for "supporting" the tactics, which is stupid and should not happen, you are totally right in that.

As someone who had every nintendo platform, and could play most of those old games in a few minutes, all the Wii U ports and the amount of remakes was dishartening.
I made a list over a year ago somewhere here, comparing nintendo published games over the eras, and this one had the most ports and remakes compared to original games.

Mind you, not by much to the N64 and 3DS/Wii U eras, but more. Way more compared to the Wii / 3DS era, but if you look back at what pace they released new games (so not remakes or ports or remasters) that was insane and it would be ridiculous to expect that output again.

So yeah, they are statistically depending somewhat more on ports, remakes and remasters. The Wii U made it to easy to go back and port it, and as someone who had one, its rather boring. And the last 24 months had the problem that it was already planed as a low, and most games im interested in where expected for this year, but covid kinda probably pushed a lot of them back. At least now we have a NEW Metroid and Wario Ware for the coming months =D

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Another one is the OoA/OoS Zelda games. Released on GB for 35$ each. If they now release them for 60-70 each, you would have (since i have argued with those already..) that the price is okay, even if its a remake of an existing game, with existing dungeon design, using the last remake engine...There are enough apologists here that argue that this is a reasonable price for the product.

It it also clear, that there are a lot of people that are not happy with that tactics, are anoyed, buy it since they still want to play the game and get attacked for "supporting" the tactics, which is stupid and should not happen, you are totally right in that.

As someone who had every nintendo platform, and could play most of those old games in a few minutes, all the Wii U ports and the amount of remakes was dishartening.
I made a list over a year ago somewhere here, comparing nintendo published games over the eras, and this one had the most ports and remakes compared to original games.

Mind you, not by much to the N64 and 3DS/Wii U eras, but more. Way more compared to the Wii / 3DS era, but if you look back at what pace they released new games (so not remakes or ports or remasters) that was insane and it would be ridiculous to expect that output again.

So yeah, they are statistically depending somewhat more on ports, remakes and remasters. The Wii U made it to easy to go back and port it, and as someone who had one, its rather boring. And the last 24 months had the problem that it was already planed as a low, and most games im interested in where expected for this year, but covid kinda probably pushed a lot of them back. At least now we have a NEW Metroid and Wario Ware for the coming months =D

I agree that ports should not be full priced, but I think you're discounting games being remade from sprite to 3D.

This is the staff list for the original Link's Awakening.

This is the staff list for Link's Awakening on the Switch:

The price tag for it is more understandable, although $50 seems more reasonable given it's short length. I do think it's solid the entire time, though, so it depends on whether you think length should factor into price.

As far as Oracle remakes, I admittedly want that, but I don't know that I would actually purchase two $60 games if that's the route they went. I'd much rather they combine it into a single package and have an item that lets you swap between games once you've beaten one instead of needing to enter codes. The two of those for $60 would be worth it to me.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'm so out of touch with the average gamer. At least the ones who pre-order at Gamestop. Elden Ring probably has more pre-order by the older group from their respective digital stores.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
They get called out often, but it feels like for every callout there is a defendant for the company, which just rubs me the wrong way, multi billion dollar companies should not need defence.

And "accepting"... i literally se begings, like "just give me WW for 60, ill buy that in a heartbeat" or stuff like that all the time, especially before big directs.

Yeah, I'm gonna say that full remakes are way different from ports. While I'd not prefer they cost 60, I think I'd pay that for a full 3D remake. Doesn't make me an apologist, it just means I think it's worth the money. My concern is always about getting my moneys worth, rather that worrying about how much it costs Nintendo/Sony/MS/whoever.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Elden Ring, Metroid, and Battlefield, all of my most anticipated games coming out of E3 are digital only or Game Pass. Don't see myself setting foot in a GameStop this gen unless it's hardware related and my last resort.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The fact Halo is 11th blows my mind when you can play the MP for free and you are essentially buying the single player campaign ONLY instead of just playing it on Game Pass.

Outside of Elden Ring, Metroid, and Battlefield, all of my most anticipated games coming out of E3 are digital only or Game Pass. Don't see myself setting foot in a GameStop this gen unless it's hardware related and my last resort.
Yeah, I haven't been in a game store of any kind in over a decade tbh. All digital.

EDIT: I take that back. I bought Borderlands 2 disc version on September 18, 2012.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
No Battlefield is interesting.

Edit: I am alittle surprised to see Halo since it will be on Gamepass but cool to see that its still being preordered. I plan on picking up a copy around release too even though I have Gamepass. Pokemon legends, Mario Golf, and Mario party have me hype. Here comes the yearly Madden pre-orders smh. #Bringback NFL2K.

I think Battlefield isn't on this list for the same reason Halo is in 11th.

Entrenched digital audience, heavily leaning towards PC.

This list is dominated by console franchises, particularly ones on consoles with lacking digital infrastructure and an audience that still largely buys physical.

May 25, 2019
London
I think Battlefield isn't on this list for the same reason Halo is in 11th.

Entrenched digital audience, heavily leaning towards PC.

This list is dominated by console franchises, particularly ones on consoles with lacking digital infrastructure and an audience that still largely buys physical.

Exactly. I find it hard to put too much stock in this list as the majority of the audience for titles not on is likely to buy those games digitally anyway

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Metroid at no 1 even among Nintendo games, with no Battlefield, should probably be a flag that this isn't a representative cross section of NA consumers.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'm glad Metroid is on top. This chart shows the effect a platform with mediocre and inconvenient digital service have on physical media.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that in-person shopping would lean towards parents buying for children, so it may give some lean towards Nintendo games.
Yes, it's parents buying kids the super popular Metroid game that explains it being on top.

I'm glad Metroid is on top. This chart shows the effect a platform with mediocre and inconvenient digital service have on physical media.

Yeah, no. Nothing mediocre or inconvenient about buying digital on the Switch

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the "don't count Xbox games cuz gamepass". How many Xbox consoles are out there in the US? how many US Game pass subs are there? Majority of owners DO NOT have gamepass.
anyway I'm so happy to see Metroid on top. I know I have it preorderd!

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Regarding the whole "parents pre-ordering games for their kids", how many parents have you guys heard of that do that?

I do this for my kids all the time. Many parents these days are gamers themselves and understand their kids' enthusiasm regarding games. Times are changing.

That said, the number of parents of gamers pre-ordering games far in advance for their kids is probably not very high.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Can you elaborate on how it is inconvenient and mediocre? Because that hasn't been my experience.
Besides eshop being slower than molasses and a mess? Games data (not save files) getting corrupted out of the blue or after an update. For the amount of Switch games I buy in a year I rather just get cartridges and avoid the eshop at this point.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is doomed I tell you.........

Any day now

Oct 26, 2017
Besides eshop being slower than molasses and a mess? Games data (not save files) getting corrupted out of the blue or after an update. For the amount of Switch games I buy in a year I rather just get cartridges and avoid the eshop at this point.
I don't see how it's any slower or more buggy than any of the other consoles digital store. Like that games data problem you're describing is something I haven't experienced, despite mostly being digital, and not exactly different than the sort of problems I've heard of on other systems

Never mind that the digital share on the Switch is more in line with the other systems than previous Nintendo ones

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I've never ever had this happen to me? Is this a common issue because it might be your Switch?

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I've never ever had this happen to me? Is this a common issue because it might be your Switch?
It's a day 1 Switch so maybe? I just don't care enough at this point since the cartridges work just fine.

I don't see how it's any slower or more buggy than any of the other consoles digital store. Like that games data problem you're describing is something I haven't experienced, despite mostly being digital, and not exactly different than the sort of problems I've heard of on other systems

Never mind that the digital share on the Switch is more in line with the other systems than previous Nintendo ones

From all the consoles + PC I have the Switch is the slowest by far even with a wired connection. I'm 100% digital on all my systems and have never encounter a similar problem with my console games.

Oct 26, 2017
From all the consoles + PC I have the Switch is the slowest by far even with a wired connection. I'm 100% digital on all my systems and have never encounter a similar problem with my console games.
Well, from my experience, I've had no more or less issues with the Switch when it comes to buying digital games and, seeing as the digital attach rate has increased a lot on the Switch from previous systems, I think your experience is more of an outlier than anything else

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It's a day 1 Switch so maybe? I just don't care enough at this point since the cartridges work just fine.

Yeah I think it's your console.

But the real reason Switch probably has lower digital sales are for the reason you stated, the carts work just fine. There is an actual benefit to buying physical copies on Switch in that it saves storage space. Switch reads directly from the carts while the other consoles do not. I buy more physical copies on Switch for this reason. If I had this option on PS5 I'd definitely be buying way more physical copies cause I've been out of space on that in the first week.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Yeah I think it's your console.

But the real reason Switch probably has lower digital sales are for the reason you stated, the carts work just fine. There is an actual benefit to buying physical copies on Switch in that it saves storage space. Switch reads directly from the carts while the other consoles do not. I buy more physical copies on Switch for this reason. If I had this option on PS5 I'd definitely be buying way more physical copies cause I've been out of space on that in the first week.
Right. And no need to buy a potentially expensive MicroSD card when the cartiges save space and just works.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's your Switch. I don't have any of those issues.

Right. And no need to buy a potentially expensive MicroSD card when the cartiges save space and just works.

MocroSD cards aren't really "potentially expensive" anymore. They've reduced in price yearly. A 400GB MicroSD is $40 now

Oct 26, 2017
Mine lol

But tbf, it was usually a birthday/Christmas gift.

I do this for my kids all the time. Many parents these days are gamers themselves and understand their kids' enthusiasm regarding games. Times are changing.

That said, the number of parents of gamers pre-ordering games far in advance for their kids is probably not very high.
Well that's kinda what I mean right? It may happen with a few but most wouldn't really be doing this often. It's generally the more dedicated gamers that do this