• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do not sell a single one... I really hope nobody is stupid enough to waste money on this.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
anyone wanna buy an NFT that fell off the back of a truck

x8OvmwH.png

five bucks and I'll let you right-click

Creator has as bunch at $82 a pop and is selling them left and right. Who is their right mind buys this shite.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've held one share since late 2019 and it has given me more fun value than any horror thriller comedy game out there.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"Can I interest you in getting this game used? You'll save $0.72! Or you can by a Pro membership and save $0.84!"

"No? Are you sure? It also comes with a subscription to a magazine!"

"Okay, I'll give you a new copy. Let me just grab the disc that one of our employees took home for a week and plop it in this open case and then I'll charge you for a brand new copy!"

"Would you like to buy a scratch protection warranty for this blu-ray disc? I'm hoping that you don't realize how unnecessary that would be!"

"No, okay, well do you want to preorder 15 games while you're in here? How about a guide or some Batman bobbleheads?"

"You just want the game? Okay, sure. But have you heard about NFTs? You could have this game AND become a millionaire overnight if you buy this one of a kind jpeg. You'll own it and everyone will want it!"

Gee, how could GameStop possibly be failing as a company. Who wouldn't want this kind of experience every time they try to buy a game? And now we get to add NFTs to the game of 20 questions at checkout? Sign me up!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the killing trees argument? which doesn't apply to all NFT's .. but lets ignore that fact .. bad in terms of rug pulls ate .. ok valid case, but if say getting some free GOW NFT, for eg, why does that hurt me? i can keep it, look at it, be satisfied in owning it just like i do some token placis item (that im sure the production of killed some trees too btw) ..and being an NFT , instead of some image i get emailed .. yes .. i have the option to sell down the track if i want to .. and if someone else assigns value to that item, being i imagine a some what limited set of god of war art ... well great. if not .. big woop.

if you're instead against the idea of free markets and people assiging value on things .. well .. thats another thing ..

but yeh .. i get the toxic state of some of these nft projects ... but .. esp in light of some of these "limited edition" items we are all so happy to pay for .. i really struggle to see the difefrence. i mean the collector mindset in the gaming community is quite strong .... its interesting to em at least how this seems fine when talking physical items, but digital ... evil.

but then again lots on here are seriously anti digital in general, look at the push back the digital version of PS5 got ..
I mean if you're buying an NFT you aren't buying a picture. What you're buying is a receipt on the blockchain ledger that contains a link to a webpage with that image. But that webpage could also contain literally anything. It could be a link that changes images depending on where it's being viewed from so it appears as a shit emoji if you open it from your wallet (this is a thing that has already been done). It could be a dead link that goes literally nowhere. It could be a link that goes to the piece of art you wanted for a few days, and then the link's contents are changed to something else entirely. And none of this is illegal, because you were never purchasing a picture in the first place, you were purchasing a fancy receipt.

Because the difference between digital goods and physical goods is that you really can't have unique digital images and the like by nature. It's actually impossible. That's why they don't sell you that, they sell you a fancy certificate.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I buy that awful artwork they use on used game boxes as my profile pic?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Man, some day in the near future I'm going to be able to be chillin on my couch, Polium 1 controller in hand browsing the dank new nfts on GameStop's site. If I could go back in time to my younger self and told him about this, he would have said you're dumb.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you're buying an NFT you aren't buying a picture. What you're buying is a receipt on the blockchain ledger that contains a link to a webpage with that image. But that webpage could also contain literally anything. It could be a link that changes images depending on where it's being viewed from so it appears as a shit emoji if you open it from your wallet (this is a thing that has already been done). It could be a dead link that goes literally nowhere. It could be a link that goes to the piece of art you wanted for a few days, and then the link's contents are changed to something else entirely. And none of this is illegal, because you were never purchasing a picture in the first place, you were purchasing a fancy receipt.

Because the difference between digital goods and physical goods is that you really can't have unique digital images and the like by nature. It's actually impossible. That's why they don't sell you that, they sell you a fancy certificate.
Fucking thank you so much, this explained it better than anything else I've tried to read and understand from any article or even when someone here tries to explain it. I could never wrap my head around it but this is perfect for me to understand. Always knew they sucked ass, but this articulates it greatly.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Gamestop was too established to ever really die but I guess after this bombs, it might be time.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the worst time to launch any NFT after seeing cryptocurrency tank by more than 50%, but hey, what do I know.

AndrewPL

Oct 27, 2017
Crypto marketplaces have been locking funds as people liquidate what little value is left...

This is going to be a fun ride!

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Nothing short of a miracle will save GameStop long-term, which kinda explains why they are guzzling the snake-oil- they don't have any realistic options to survive and grow, or even reach stability, so they'd reached for a scam instead.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Imagine receiving an NFT for Christmas. An empty stocking, but you get told you own an ugly JPEG. What a sad state of affairs.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Crypto marketplaces have been locking funds as people liquidate what little value is left...

This is going to be a fun ride!

Yeah, this thing is going to die before Gamestop does. Probably one of their last actions before they go under is to shut this down and pocket whatever money is in those wallets.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Oh god, the staff are going to have to try and explain NFTs to the "my daughter wants a Nintendo" crowd, aren't they? Good luck...

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
This is so on brand for Gamestop. Next is probably a Gamestop cryptocurrency that you can buy from them but you can't actually use in their stores.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, the staff are going to have to try and explain NFTs to the "my daughter wants a Nintendo" crowd, aren't they? Good luck...

Actually, NFTs are a gift to companies trying to sell junk to clueless parents and grandparents. Once you frame it as a Fortnite skin that can be used in hundreds of games and all over your social media, you've got a heck of a selling point. And when that selling point is being made by a trusted bricks and mortar store rather than some cryptobro on Twitter, you've got a powerful recipe for some ripped-off grandmas and disappointed kids.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tbf at least GS are in dire enough straits to actually consider NFTs (along with, well, anything) unlike most big companies that are

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
The only way NFTs would reach my grandparents' radar as potential Christmas presents is if they start selling them on QVC and HSN.