• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Chargeback exists for this type of scenario

he tried

he shouldn't waste another second with them on the phone

Then do what must be done. I can't help all of you follow the proper processes to get things done the correct way. All of you are so ultra aggressive in these scenarios for no reason what so ever. A charge back is meant to be for proper fraud or an absolute last resort, and it does not sound like OP has done enough to get to the last resort.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't try to bypass them with possible fraud.

Also try to find some legal advice eventually, sometimes just a letter to the hierarchy is enough.

While it's common for an exchange, for a refund it's clearly an awful practice.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
What a shitty thing to do. Chargeback via your card company. They were clearly not able to provide the item you bought and you have proof.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Then do what must be done. I can't help all of you follow the proper processes to get things done the correct way. All of you are so ultra aggressive in these scenarios for no reason what so ever. A charge back is meant to be for proper fraud or an absolute last resort, and it does not sound like OP has done enough to get to the last resort.

Whoa whoa whoa, no one's advocating being aggressive, but I don't understand why you keep insisting customer service will do what's right when OP already said they haven't. Are you operating under the assumption that that's a lie?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously
Couldn't possibly disagree any more

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Also, post politely on the GameStop subreddit and you'll get employees telling you what the best action to take would be.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Whoa whoa whoa, no one's advocating being aggressive, but I don't understand why you keep insisting customer service will do what's right when OP already said they haven't. Are you operating under the assumption that that's a lie?

I am. Again, no customer service will ever just "hang up" on somebody for no reason. EVER. It simply does not happen.

Maybe a one time phone disconnection? That happens. Especially with people working from home, if their home internet dips, it can lead to a phone disconnect.

Maybe the OP called and went straight to yelling and cursing? A CS Rep is never required to just sit there and take abuse from a customer. They are always allowed to hang up at that point.

But CS will never just "hang up" just because. So yes, I do believe the OP is not being completely truthful about the situation. The OP needs to call back. The OP needs to send an email request as well. It's not difficult to do. It takes little to no effort to make a phone call. Just call back. Twice if needed. Be calm. Be patient. OP will get taken care of.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
It is not a moral failing to use chargeback; it's a tool that exists and you should be able to use things that exist when needed. Gamestop are fuckers. Get your money back.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They were defrauded. Reporting that to the relevant authorities is the proper process and correct response. It doesn't matter if GS made a mistake or (worse) if their system is automated this way to defraud consumers, this is literal fraud. Not only should they alert their bank/card, they should file a report with their state's AG (many now have a web form for reporting fraud) and any consumer protection agencies they feel may help (BBB, etc).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
lmao a chargeback isn't some nuclear option. It exists for situations like this. I would consider me giving a company $600 for a product and them knowingly giving me a completely different product in return fraudulent. Let them deal with the bank. Not sure why the consumer in this scenario needs to bend over backwards to follow the protocol of the company that incompetently caused this problem in the first place. Nobody needs to be looking out for poor Gamestop.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't harass the staff at Gamestop. Its out of their control.
Time to do a chargeback. Putting it on a giftcard is shady as fuck.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
OP claims to have already tried and been hung up on. Not sure why you keep insisting that customer service will make everything better. Should he keep calling until someone actually listens to him?

Yes.

Much like HR, a lot of people are confused about the actual job of customer service. They are not there to help you. They are there to 'resolve disputes'. And, unfortunately, one of the most effective - both in terms of time and money - ways to resolve disputes is to tell customers nothing and hang up. Most people will assume, like many in this thread, that's the end of it - customer service can't do anything. This is incorrect. You literally just have to keep calling them until the amount of time and effort it's taking to ignore you is now costing them enough resources to actually fix your problem the right way.

It's extremely shitty, but that's how like 90% of corporate customer service is designed to work. And Gamestop is notoriously bad with this dynamic but ultimately will fix your problem with enough persistence.

That said, he should probably just chargeback in this situation.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the title pretty much says it all , I was trying to buy a PS5 a few weeks ago where I got to a confirmation screen. Saying my order was placed, but I never got a follow up Email; never once did I get an email confirming or denying that my order went through. So I thought oh, no biggie it just never went through I'll try my luck next time, my credit card was fine.

Until today when I got an email saying that i had a gift card FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT as a PS5 bundle I ordered, and they took the money out of my account, and now calling their shitty customer service keeps hanging up on me, To say I'm pissed is an understatement, I might drive down to the local store and harass the fuck out of them because this is not ok.

and before anyone asks no you can't return a gift card for cash

Dude, I feel you that sucks but for the love of god DO NOT harass the local staff. They have nothing to do with what happened won't be able to help you anyway and you'll just come off as a huge asshole.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Before reviewing a chargeback, my bank requires proof of having made an attempt to resolve it with the relevant party first. The quickest way is usually via e-mail logs.

If the party at fault hasn't responded within 10 days, the bank will attempt to contact them as well. From that point onwards, if the problem isn't resolved within 30 days, they'll do a chargeback.

So, in this scenario, I wouldn't feel at all scummy for requesting a chargeback. Gamestop would have ample time to resolve the issue at hand. If they don't even attempt to contact OP in such a scenario, fuck 'em.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
What kind of fucking dream world do you live in. I speak to representatives of various types all day, is it SUPER common? no, but it definitely happens.

I have worked customer service, with 4 different companies for the past 10 years, both over the phone, via email, and in person. And when I am not at work? I have to sit at the house and listen to my room mate answer customer service calls all damn day from home for his job. I have a pretty reasonable grasp of how it all works, and hang ups do not just happen for no reason.

You can claim that maybe a disgruntled employee may hang up on someone, then sure. Maybe that happens, and I am sure it has, but as a rule and part of the general process, it doesn't and likely happens so little that it's barely even worth mentioning that it happens.

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly feel like GameStop is on their last legs. They might not be able to refund you because they running out of money. This is really shitty BUT I do not shop there anymore simply because of shady business practices.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Dont listen to the chargeback and the "dont harass" people.

Harass them its 600$ money involved and not a petty thing like slow delivery etc.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
So it fits this case! Like how is changing a preorder without consent not proper fraud?!

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Why is one of your first instincts to go to a retail store and harass some minimum wage workers?

This. There's no doubt GameStop is in the wrong here, but do this and you instantly become the bad guy. I understand why you're upset, absolutely, but harassing innocent people who had literally nothing to do with this just makes you a dick. Harassing retail employees and customer support workers is indefensible, period.

Initiate a chargeback, (kindly) ask for advice from former GameStop employees, open a formal complaint, etc. There's plenty of good advice in this thread. But don't harass anyone, full stop.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I have worked customer service, with 4 different companies for the past 10 years, both over the phone, via email, and in person. And when I am not at work? I have to sit at the house and listen to my room mate answer customer service calls all damn day from home for his job. I have a pretty reasonable grasp of how it all works, and hang ups do not just happen for no reason.

You can claim that maybe a disgruntled employee may hang up on someone, then sure. Maybe that happens, and I am sure it has, but as a rule and part of the general process, it doesn't and likely happens so little that it's barely even worth mentioning that it happens.

I worked as a CSR in college and absolutely hung up on customers. Not a lot, but a couple times a month wouldn't even set off a red flag unless it happened to be one of the random calls my supervisor pulled to grade me on. You put the call on hold, then "accidentally" terminate it when coming back from hold. You then document the file that the customer ended the call, and say you got confused if anyone checks on that. Human error happens so it's rarely questioned.

And I wasn't disgruntled, I mostly only used it if I had to clean up somebody else's mess. Like, say, if they issued a gift card instead of a refund. Depending on the company fixing screw ups like that can be a bit of a process. A bunch of other CSRs I knew did the same thing. It certainly wasn't extremely rare. Not everyone takes their job that seriously.

Jun 20, 2019
I would expect a chargeback would take a while to resolve anyway. For $600 from an established merchant with the specifics of this case a little murky (OP received in-store credit, GS may be able to claim OP agreed to this arrangement) the credit card company is going to go through a formal dispute resolution process. I would guess this isn't just a "call CC company and get my money today" situation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's a mistake, or a glitch. Gamestop did not just wake up and decide to purposely steal the guys money and just give him a gift card instead. This is not fraud.
The why is almost irrelevant. The legal standard for fraud is reckless indifference iirc. Mistake, glitch, system design or mustache curling villain, it doesn't matter as the level for intent could cover all those, especially after an attempt (with CS) was already made to reconcile on the consumer's part.

This is legal fraud.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the title pretty much says it all , I was trying to buy a PS5 a few weeks ago where I got to a confirmation screen. Saying my order was placed, but I never got a follow up Email; never once did I get an email confirming or denying that my order went through. So I thought oh, no biggie it just never went through I'll try my luck next time, my credit card was fine.

Until today when I got an email saying that i had a gift card FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT as a PS5 bundle I ordered, and they took the money out of my account, and now calling their shitty customer service keeps hanging up on me, To say I'm pissed is an understatement, I might drive down to the local store and harass the fuck out of them because this is not ok.

and before anyone asks no you can't return a gift card for cash

Maybe don't harass people for something they have no responsibility on. Don't be an asshole to costumer service please.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I would check the GC balance, and if its really $600 then a chargeback is definitely in order. Shred the GC and don't use it in that case.

No need to leave the house or make any other calls (If your CC/bank allows chargeback requests online or via app)

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
I do not understand. Does that country have absolutely no intermediate solution besides credit card claim and justice? Escalating formally the issue at a higher level within the company is not an option?

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, how will OP be able to acquire the items that Gamestop sells except from every other place ever.

This is prime chargeback territory. If a dying company wants to ban one of their rapidly declining customer base, then that's on them.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Where are you OP? Companies often try to do that but it usually is illegal if you oppose it. It happened to me with Skip the Dishes in Canada and I forced them to return the money after a restaurant cancelled my order and they just gave me credit. There must be a consumer protection office in your country or province that can help you with that.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That's literal theft.

Keep trying to solve it properly. But if you see that there is absolutely no way of getting them to return the money they stole, file a chargeback as a last resort.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I'd say this has a lot less to do with what country someone lives in and more to do with what company they are dealing with
Not true at all. If you live in a country without customer protection, sure, but most rich countries have some customer protection office you can reach out to. Hence, the country matters a lot.

In my country, by law, any company has the obligation to provide you with a form for such a claim if you ask for it. You fill the form, keep a copy, they keep another, you submit yours to the government, they are supposed to submit theirs as well, (they break the law if they don't) and an arbitration process begins. In a case like this, they have no chance of winning, and companies will try to avoid at all costs having to go through this process. It's easy to get fired if you create a situation where a customer gets arbitration and wins against your company (not this case as it seems company policy to try to get away with not returning the money instead of a one employee fucking up, but still, they'd want to avoid this at all costs).

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Most of the times people recommend charge backs on here it's really bad advice, but if the situation really is what op is describing, this is the time to use one.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
first thing id do is hit Gamestop Reddit and post this situation asking for some help or a contact; and thats only after exhausting all attempts of phone calls/chats and emailing their CS team. if you get NOTHING from your efforts, chargeback. you did your due diligence. keep records of all attempts and let your CC company do their thing.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
A charge back is meant to be for proper fraud or an absolute last resort, and it does not sound like OP has done enough to get to the last resort.

But it is proper fraud. The OP ordered a PS5. They decided to send him a gift card instead. The OP didn't buy a gift card. What GameStop did is fraud by charging him money and then sending them something he didn't agree to pay for.

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
It's this simple

he never bought a gift card.
There is no AUTHORIZED purchase of a gift card.

if they're so incompetent to not nuke the card it's over.

they're not going back to the credit card and saying "you know that giftcard we illegally charged him for? He spent it"

they're also not going to illegally charge AGAIN for the card because he didn't buy it. They'll nuke it. This entire hypothetical is extremely unlikely.

the ethics are another debate
He did authorize a gift card. The bundle comes with a GameStop gift card. Anyone with a legal background will be able to fight that. Plus I had a GameStop bundle come in and do the same thing. The email shows the total of the bundle. But in actuality it has the gift card amount that he ordered. This means that OP will have a FedEx notification in less than 48 hours.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Not true at all. If you live in a country without customer protection, sure, but most rich countries have some customer protection office you can reach out to. Hence, the country matters a lot.

In my country, by law, any company has the obligation to provide you with a form for such a claim if you ask for it. You fill the form, keep a copy, they keep another, you submit yours to the government, they are supposed to submit theirs as well, (they break the law if they don't) and an arbitration process begins. In a case like this, they have no chance of winning, and companies will try to avoid at all costs having to go through this process. It's easy to get fired if you create a situation where a customer gets arbitration and wins against your company (not this case as it seems company policy to try to get away with not returning the money instead of a one employee fucking up, but still, they'd want to avoid this at all costs).
Unless he means something else than what he wrote he is talking about escalating the issue within the company (let me speak to your manager!) . You're talking about government protections , which we do have here with the FTC

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
He did authorize a gift card. The bundle comes with a GameStop gift card. Anyone with a legal background will be able to fight that. Plus I had a GameStop bundle come in and do the same thing. The email shows the total of the bundle. But in actuality it has the gift card amount that he ordered. This means that OP will have a FedEx notification in less than 48 hours.
ok well this entire thing is dumb

has he ever checked the balance?