• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
xELYFTy.jpg

AppleSautts

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I'm no expert, but giving you a giftcard instead of fulfilling or cancelling your order sounds illegal. Do a chargeback and throw away the giftcard ASAP.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Don't harass them. Keep trying to get your money back the right way, it could make your situation way worse.

And $600 goes way quicker now with $70 games, if you were to be stuck with it

Yeah, I'm sure the OP will be delighted to know they now have to buy 9 full priced games from GameStop, especially after being treated like this.

I'm no expert, but giving you a giftcard instead of fulfilling or cancelling your order sounds illegal. Do a chargeback and throw away the giftcard ASAP.

What does throwing away the giftcard accomplish exactly?

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
I'm pretty sure what Gamestop did here is illegal, even in the US.

Yeah, I don't think GS has even a hint of legality here.

They took money for a specific product, didn't deliver said product, and then locked that money down as store credit. Had the item been purchased with store credit they'd be in the clear but I've personally never even heard of something like this.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This is one of the times where you should do a charge back. Gamestop has not delivered what you ordered and you shouldn't be stuck having to use their services. Did they even ask if you wanted a gift card?
Charge Back now.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I had to do a chargeback a while back . After preordering Darksiders 3 they literally refused to send me a code . After 2 weeks of calling , getting hung up on and being lied to (I'm sending one out now!) I said fuck it and did my chargeback . I explained everything that happened and asking should I do this the rep from my bank said this is exactly what chargebacks are for . She said they take a hit to credit or rep or something plus they have to eat a $40~ charge. Funny thing is they finally sent me the code a week later so 3 weeks in total from release ...fuck this company .

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, chargeback time. You authorized a charge for a PS5, not a $600 Gamestop giftcard. This may cause issues with your GS account and/or using your current card at GS in the future FYI, but I'd assume you probably don't give much of a shit after this experience.
But after they fuck you over like this it's time to leave them in the dust anyway

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Why are you guys telling him to do a chargeback? He'll likely be blacklisted when he could take this issue beyond and it's a serious issue. Someone turned his credit into "cash". Chargeback is when all else fails and you are penalized for it from company.

'Blacklisted from Gamestop' is not a punishment. Nobody should be buying from them anyway.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please please please do not go to the store and harass the staff. They have very little power to do anything. Ask to speak to a manager and KINDLY see if they can get you in contact with the district or regional manager to have your issue pushed up to corporate.

Again, please do not harass the store staff.

Tweet at GameStop on Twitter. Email their support. Report them through the BBB. You can even do a chargeback through your bank.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's not even a guarantee that they will blacklist you and even if they do they are a dying company anyways it's no loss on your end. OP.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
'Blacklisted from Gamestop' is not a punishment. Nobody should be buying from them anyway.
Even then op could just use a different card or different account if they ever want to make a purchase from GameStop. It's not like this is Sony or Microsoft where you have a huge digital library of game to lose.

Robin Friday

Oct 28, 2017
Chargeback. If you've still got the credit after your cards refunded spend it, if they say anything send them a couple of scented candles with $300 stickers on as credit.

Jun 23, 2019
If I were OP I wouldn't mind being blacklisted by the shitty store that I most likely will never do business with ever again.

This happened to me too when I returned the game to the store. They gave me gift card instead of refunding my card. Fkc them.

Like I don't get this kind of attitude. It's almost childish. Is there an issue that needs to be resolved? Yes. Is it a shitty situation? Yes. Does that mean acting like a child throwing a tantrum and doing everything from going down to the store and harassing the customers to do an automatic chargeback when that should be the last step? No.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is incredibly ironic. there's also usually a "no receipt available" option for circumstances just like this.

like, why would the website refund as a gift card in the first place?
Yeah it's why I'm fine with being banned from trade ins due to what I did to them some years back during one of their b2g1 and 6 games =60% bonus or some shit that I used to basically make more money than what the games costed to buy used. Gamestop is not customer friendly, hell when walmart has better practices than you its time to close up shop.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the title pretty much says it all , I was trying to buy a PS5 a few weeks ago where I got to a confirmation screen. Saying my order was placed, but I never got a follow up Email; never once did I get an email confirming or denying that my order went through. So I thought oh, no biggie it just never went through I'll try my luck next time, my credit card was fine.

Until today when I got an email saying that i had a gift card FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT as a PS5 bundle I ordered, and they took the money out of my account, and now calling their shitty customer service keeps hanging up on me, To say I'm pissed is an understatement, I might drive down to the local store and harass the fuck out of them because this is not ok.

and before anyone asks no you can't return a gift card for cash
OP Post this on GAMESTOP TWITTER! EVERYONE ELSE UPVOTE TO GET VISABILITY. Might as well give them shitty PR.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if their system is even sophisticated enough to flag it. Honestly, I'd try to get my revenge here and use that gift card they were dumb enough to send me after the charge back goes through.
They could resend the charge. Using the card will screw the OP eventually. Gamestop could reprocess the charge and will have proof the item was used..

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the title pretty much says it all , I was trying to buy a PS5 a few weeks ago where I got to a confirmation screen. Saying my order was placed, but I never got a follow up Email; never once did I get an email confirming or denying that my order went through. So I thought oh, no biggie it just never went through I'll try my luck next time, my credit card was fine.

Until today when I got an email saying that i had a gift card FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT as a PS5 bundle I ordered, and they took the money out of my account, and now calling their shitty customer service keeps hanging up on me, To say I'm pissed is an understatement, I might drive down to the local store and harass the fuck out of them because this is not ok.

and before anyone asks no you can't return a gift card for cash
dude you have to be stern with these ppl.... I would have SAID FUCK NO! Full refund and go somewhere else. gamestop online... yikes! Fuck that dude just wear a mask and go to a local store and see if you can get the refund there... lol no wonder they will out of business in a few more years!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Like I don't get this kind of attitude. It's almost childish. Is there an issue that needs to be resolved? Yes. Is it a shitty situation? Yes. Does that mean acting like a child throwing a tantrum and doing everything from going down to the store and harassing the customers to do an automatic chargeback when that should be the last step? No.
The person you quoted doesn't say anything about acting like a child. There's nothing wrong with doing a chargeback. That would have been my second move after their CS hung up on me.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Why waste so much time to try and get it resolved when there's no idea of how many calls or people you'll have to talk to over what duration of time though? The chargeback is a quick phone call and you're done. If the OP gets blacklisted, they probably don't care. Most people who get screwed over $600 from a company aren't likely to go back and do more business with them so being blacklisted really isn't an issue. It's not childish; it's the best use of their time over a significant amount of money.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not so sure they could. At any rate, do the chargeback and wait a few weeks, then see if they deactivated it.
It's 600

I think they will kill the card once they get a chargeback

but my god would you be surprised how dumb some companies are

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
sure they can. The preauth is for the open transaction. it can go back and forth for months and month. Chargeback is not the end all be all. gamestop can dispute and the op would be on the line.

OP never purchased a gift card. I dunno, I think this is more of a grey area...like, if Amazon sends you 2 copies of any game on accident, they can't just turn around and charge you for it if you don't send it back.

It's 600

I think they will kill the card once they get a chargeback

but my god would you be surprised how dumb some companies are

Totally agree. But I could totally see GS being incompetent enough to let this slip through the cracks.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I just had an issue with Walmart where I bought a laptop on store pickup. They canceled it, and the refund took days. Then I went to the store itself and they had like 5 of the model I bought in there!

So for like five days I had paid for the same laptop twice, for no good reason. If I got that refund as a gift card I would've been livid. Like... what if you find a PS5 somewhere else? Is this shit even legal?

it's wild how shady GameStop has always been. I don't know why people bother going there unless they're the only ones carrying something.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
If there is 600 on it after your card has refunded you go for it. Don't dare spend a dime until credit card says it's over. But once the card tells you it's over spend it.

that's what I'd do

if they're so incompetent to nuke the card you're probably good to go. They're not sitting in a room just waiting for you to spend it so they can charge you again.

but like I said before.....they're gonna eliminate the funds

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
For a charge back, you're going to want to cover your ass.

If legal in your state, record a call with customer support who can explain the case back to you. Print reciepts for your original purchase. I don't imagine it'd be tough for the charge back to go through. They're not going to be able to argue in keeping your money when they'd admit to, I imagine, doing something illegal. It sounds like a lose/lose for gamestpp, who is hoping you'd lay back and take it.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They would 100% lose.

OP paid for a PS5, not a gift card.

yes but using the gift card after GameStop said "we cool right?" Basically means you said "we cool". At that point if you do the chargeback you're actually *stealing* from GameStop which is why you absolutely should not use the gift card.

Do I care about the financial woes of GameStop? No. But what a lot of people are suggesting is saying that the OP should do fraud back, which would only cause more headache down the road.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Lose what? If gift card used used you think the op would not have to pay for it if they did a charge back? its all a matter of whats on the receipt attached to gift card there is probably no mention of a ps5 anywhere.

If the OP does a chargeback, and say 6 weeks later he checks the card's balance and it's still good, I'm sorry, but he's free to use it. The idea that GS at that point could turnaround and charge him is a bit outlandish. And again, if they're sophisticated enough to catch that, why wouldn't they nuke it in the first place? But InRainbows is right, wait for the chargeback to fully clear first.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
yes but using the gift card after GameStop said "we cool right?" Basically means you said "we cool". At that point if you do the chargeback you're actually *stealing* from GameStop which is why you absolutely should not use the gift card.

Do I care about the financial woes of GameStop? No. But what a lot of people are suggesting is saying that the OP should do fraud back, which would only cause more headache down the road.
I didn't say they should spend the gift card

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can you do chargebacks on things like this if you can't resolve the issue with EB? Ive always been so confused about what can and can't be charged back through a credit card. TBH ive alwaysa been too afraid to consider chargebacks, most of my credit card purchases are digital things, like through the xbox or playstation stores, and i wouldn't ever want to do anything to endanger those accounts; but with that being said, if doing a chargeback in this scenario is possible, id have 0 problems burning that bridge with EB.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
they won't charge for the giftcard

it's up to them to nuke it
and they will

But if they don't nuke it after your credit card closes the dispute......use the fucker and dont look back. But they're gonna nuke it so stop getting your hopes up