• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
That is absolutely awful. As others have said try to be nice to the CSRs. If they can't do anything for you I'd say call your bank and see if you can do a chargeback, and report it to BBB and tweet about it.

do not harass staff at a store about it. That is really bad. I understand you're angry, justifiably so, but taking it out on random strangers is not the right thing to do

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Chargeback time methinks. I'd be pissed off if a company tried to force me to spend $600 with them after not being able to give me the thing I actually ordered...fuck that.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Don't harass them. Keep trying to get your money back the right way, it could make your situation way worse.

And $600 goes way quicker now with $70 games, if you were to be stuck with it
Why would they be stuck with it? GameStop haven't fulfilled their end of the transaction. He didn't buy a $600 gift voucher, he bought a PS5 that they couldn't provide, which was evident in their attempt to keep OP's money. OP is not in the wrong, GameStop are.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Chargeback. That's when you say and do anything to get your fucking money back. I don't think going down to a store is going to help at all. The poor fuck behind the register, manager or not, is just going to have to call their higher up and it'll be a long process. Just call your card company and explain that despite not receiving the product you were charged for it. And each time you reach out to them they hang up. That's already more than enough for them to issue a chargeback. Now, here's the fun part. GameStop is so unprofessional and probably in utter chaos right now that they'd probably forget to cancel the gift card after your chargeback. So if you really want to be an asshole back to them you can have them pay themselves for your own PS5. I know I know, don't steal it's bad. But someone should've told that to GameStop before they stole from you, right?

Jacobian360

Oct 28, 2017
Ouch, charge it back.

Had some issues with them over the holidays, ordered 2 framed posters, and never got any sort of shipping information or anything. Got in touch with Gamestop, and they asked me "Don't you have a tracking number?" lol which of course I didn't. They told me they had it and I requested it and typed it in. The package had already been delivered. To where? I really don't know.

I was told I would be sent replacements. Instead a week later a refund was put back into my account.

The framed posters aren't available anymore..

Fuck'em.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
wasn't the chargeback basically invented for situations like this?

even if GS agrees to give you your cash back, the mere fact that you have to escalate this is reason enough to never give them a single cent again

Jacobian360

Oct 28, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Nov 26, 2019
I'd heard GameStop horror stories until it happened to me one day. Bought a bunch of games online. They ran out of inventory after I had purchased them, so they didn't send them to me. Called to try and get either the games or my money back and they said, "tough luck, we're sold out, but your money's ours now." Took months of calls before I was able to get a refund. I literally had to keep begging for the games, credit, money or anything and it kept falling on deaf ears. Their standard line was, "Too bad. You shouldn't have bought games which we later sold out of." The process was infuriating. Hope you get your situation fixed too!

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I'd just do the chargeback.

You could end up on the phone with GameStop for hours and still not get anywhere. Your time is more valuable than that. Chargeback.

Unless you enjoy telling people off, which I'll admit I do enjoy from time to time.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting pissed just reading this to be honest. That's shady AF even for GameStop. there's no way that's legal unless you agree to it which of course you didn't.

Hopefully you get your money back If not do a chargeback then keep the card That's what I would do screw GameStop.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Your CC will do a chargeback almost no questions asked. If you have a good card and are a good customer, it'll take less than five minutes with your card CS :)

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I know this has become a meme but for once I'm serious: is this even legal? Lol. I've never heard of a bait and switch of this magnitude from a real retailer.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yup, chargeback time. You authorized a charge for a PS5, not a $600 Gamestop giftcard. This may cause issues with your GS account and/or using your current card at GS in the future FYI, but I'd assume you probably don't give much of a shit after this experience.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems like an easy fix?

at the POS, sell every item from the bundle whether you have it in stock or not. make up a serial number. use the gift card to pay for it. complete the transaction.
on a second translation, return everything you just "sold" using the credit card as the target for the refund.

i'm not saying they would do this for you.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems like an easy fix?

at the POS, sell every item from the bundle whether you have it in stock or not. make up a serial number. use the gift card to pay for it. complete the transaction.
on a second translation, return everything you just "sold" using the credit card as the target for the refund.

i'm not saying they would do this for you.
Uh... thats not how returns work or at least in the US, they give you back payment the way it was paid with. They'll check his receipt and saw it was purchased with a giftcard... so he gets credit back into a gift card. And no gamestop won't do a return without a receipt.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I know this has become a meme but for once I'm serious: is this even legal? Lol. I've never heard of a bait and switch of this magnitude from a real retailer.

No, this is a fraudulent charge. A gift card is not a refund, it's a purchase and the OP definitely didn't authorize that purchase.

The problem is that there's unlikely to be any repercussions for GameStop. The cops aren't showing up at their corporate HQ. Any legal action would cost far more than it's worth. But it's exactly what chargebacks are for. If OP calls their bank they'll most likely end up recommending that if the situation isn't resolved swiftly.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
OP, if I were you, I'd meet with a local lawyer that does free consultations, and see if you have any sort of legal remedy for this. If you don't want to do that, then tweet your story to them on Twitter and post it here so that the community can spread the word

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, don't harass people that have no control over the situation.

Contact corporate, and if relief is not offered, then contact your Credit Card company and initiate a chargeback.

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you guys telling him to do a chargeback? He'll likely be blacklisted when he could take this issue beyond and it's a serious issue. Someone turned his credit into "cash". Chargeback is when all else fails and you are penalized for it from company.

Don't do this. Continue to talk with support and see what can be done. Chargebacking is quick but there can be other possibly bigger issues that can arise due to chargebacking.
Take your time.

Chargeback is the best tool he has. Might as well use it. Not like it would be a huge deal to be blacklisted by Gamestop, though I also guarantee you they will do no such thing.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you guys telling him to do a chargeback? He'll likely be blacklisted when he could take this issue beyond and it's a serious issue. Someone turned his credit into "cash". Chargeback is when all else fails and you are penalized for it from company.
I've done a charge back before with Toys RUs and was never blacklisted. And even if he was, Gamestop ain't long for this world.

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck OP. I ran into the similar issue with Target. I paid for my preorder with PayPal (tied to my CC) and after 1.5 months weren't able to deliver my console.

Their "policy" is only to refund PayPal thru a gift card which I did not want. It took many calls to support and an escalation to finally get them to do a proper refund. Huge pita and makes me hesitant to ever preorder or buy a large item from Target ever again

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I think there's a rush to do a charge back in all cases of "grr, I'm displeased," but in this instance it's absolutely 100% justified. It's fraud.
Unless you're ok with the account being banned and card blacklisted, you should still try customer service route.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Just chargeback it. It's not like people should care about their gamestop customer status by now lol.

And when/if they dispute it, they'll 100% lose if you show the receipts of what they did. I sometimes deal with chargeback cases (I'm usually on the defense for my company though) and I cannot imagine any scenario where GS would win this.

Oh, and please do not harass the customer service staff, they're normal people too and would most likely be pissed off as well by this.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... thats not how returns work or at least in the US, they give you back payment the way it was paid with. They'll check his receipt and saw it was purchased with a giftcard... so he gets credit back into a gift card. And no gamestop won't do a return without a receipt.

this is incredibly ironic. there's also usually a "no receipt available" option for circumstances just like this.

like, why would the website refund as a gift card in the first place?

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any way you could get that credit put onto a physical gift card?

I'd do that and then charge back fuck em

*note: I'd never actually do that because I would 100% get caught and I don't have the balls