• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
GameStop Conference Notes
Ever thought…I could do that TikTok challenge! Well the Event Team is launching a TikTok Dance Challenge sponsored by Incisiv.

Check out the dance here: https://youtu.be/qsaWwr4EPTQ

Be creative, rope in your team, and have fun with it! Don't worry, you can't look as bad as the event team does!

November 2-4: Upload your video here at https://woobox.com/mn8chx.
November 5: Return to https://woobox.com/mn8chx and cast your vote!
November 6: Winner will be announced!

Instructions
• Open TikTok and click the + at the bottom of the screen.
• Search for "redwinechallenge" and find a video with this song/challenge
• Click the song turn-table on the bottom right corner
• Click the record "Use this sound" button at the bottom
• Record your video!
• Click the red check mark to start editing your video.
• Once done editing your video click next.
• Either upload your video to YouTube or Instagram. This is the link you'll need to submit to woobox.

Prizes
The winner of the challenge will receive an Echo 8, Echo Auto, $100 VISA gift card and 10 additional labor hours to use during Black Friday week!
Imagine what you could do with all those prizes!

TikTok Post
You can hashtag your video on TikTok too #redwinechallenge #gamestop #incisiv (you can also find our event team video on TikTok)

EDIT: It sounds like it's ten extra hours allocated to payroll that week to get extra help, but you shouldn't have to do a social media challenge to get an extra hand during one of the busiest retail weeks of the year

Last edited:

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Lmao. I literally laughed out loud. What on earth.... this is brilliant in its own way. Gamestop not ceases to amaze me

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Thats worded weird. They get 10 hours bonus vacation time, 10 hours of extra pay, or the ability to work 10 extra hours? Because that last one if a fucking joke. Who thought that was a good idea lol.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thought there would be a twist but...nah, it's literally what you said it was. They fucking wildin' 😂

Jun 23, 2019
giphy-downsized-large.gif

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of an embarrassing contest but at least they get 100 dollars and some Amazon products. Do you just get paid the 10 hours or do you have to work them lmao

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Thats worded weird. They get 10 hours bonus vacation time, 10 hours of extra pay, or the ability to work 10 extra hours?

The contest is for managers. They get ten extra hours of payroll allotted to their store.

It's an odd contest, since of course the official fiction is that HQ always gives stores the optimal amount of payroll and this is sort of an admission that they...don't. But it's not quite "okay peon, we'll allow you to work ten extra hours!"

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand if that means "10 extra hours at time-and-a-half" or "10 hours vacation"

The contest is for managers. They get ten extra hours of payroll allotted to their store.

It's an odd contest, since of course the official fiction is that HQ always gives stores the optimal amount of payroll and this is sort of an admission that they...don't. But it's not quite "okay peon, we'll allow you to work ten extra hours!"

OK, this makes a lot more sense now.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I generally give the benefit of the doubt..."there must be some misunderstanding. This is just someone saying that they'll get 10 extra hours of pay that week, not that they'd have to work an extra 10 hours."

Nope. JFC.

Edit: Ok, the explanation seems better...

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
So the price is basically an extra employee for a full day during BF week? That seems decent.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Let's not jump to conclusions. That wording is not very clear.

However, doing a silly dance for social media to gain the opportunity to do some labor sounds like the beginning of a plot for a Black Mirror episode.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

It's an odd contest, since of course the official fiction is that HQ always gives stores the optimal amount of payroll and this is sort of an admission that they...don't.
That's basically how I read it. I mean, it's great if a manager has 10 extra hours to hand out, there are always people looking for extra hours during the holidays. But they really should be getting the hours they need to properly staff the store in the first place.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wow....

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me they are just going to give stores an extra 10 hours if they win this contest instead of just giving stores in general these hours because it's going to be a very busy weekend???? Wtf

OP
OP
Cheddahz

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017

This is how I read it, but having to do something on social media to get extra help during one of the busiest retail weeks of the year doesn't seem right

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017

Okay, now I get the context of this, thanks.

Michael

Oct 28, 2017

Well that's important.
reading the headline I assumed it meant the winner was allowed to work an extra 10 hours if they wanted extra overtime. This is totally different.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

So, the team has to embarrass themselves so their manager can win some Alexas? lol

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
Having worked retail, and Gamestop in the past specifically, this actually is not a bad competition. One of the hardest things to deal with is making sure that you don't overspend labor during peak/busy hours. At the same time, think about how frustrating it is as customers going to Gamestop on Black Friday weekend and they don't have enough staff to help. Or worse, the store is a wreck from ahole shoppers and you dont have the staff to have people clean. If this is able to be used as a floating balance for potential overtime, I'd love this as a manager.

Man, I do not miss retail.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This, it's admitting that they undercut stores on payroll hours, requiring more work for the staff that is scheduled. Lots of retail operates this way and it is ALWAYS shit

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It sounds like this came from the Managers Conference, so this literally means "you get 10 more hours on your payroll to schedule people during Black Friday week".
That reminds me of when I worked at Hollywood Video years ago. It was when they were spinning up their new MVP promotion. We got constantly reminded to sell those damn things. The store that sold the most, the manager got a trip to Vegas. The district manager? He got a Chrysler 300.

Us regular working plebs? We got to get a free coke and candy from the concessions. Yayyyyy.

We made it a point to sell as few as possible.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Every time shit like this pops up I'm reminded about how god awful GS was/is to employees while 100% incentivizing store managers regardless of how shit they were at their job. Ponying up plane tickets and hotel stays for store managers to go to their shitty con while everyone else had to work.

Real shame they're still doing BS like this.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well that's important.
reading the headline I assumed it meant the winner was allowed to work an extra 10 hours if they wanted extra overtime. This is totally different.

Yeah, if the thread title was "GameStop is holding a TikTok Dance Challenge for their managers and one of the prizes is....ten extra payroll hours the week of Black Friday" I don't think this thread would be as poppin'.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this shit sounds about right. They always used payroll hours as some kind of incentive for the store. Which actually means the store manager (the only salaried employee) doesn't need to stay super late to finish something like shipments because they'll be able to pay hourlies to do it. (they often ship used games from store to store).

It's a fucking scumbag company and always was. Don't shop there.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Labor hours to use is for the managers to give to their employees, not 'lol you get to work 10 more hours'.
Each store has a weekly budget, this prize is giving that store extra budget for the week.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

That can be arguably worse. "Hey your boss won a dance contest! That means you have to work extra hours!"

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this shit sounds about right. They always used payroll hours as some kind of incentive for the store. Which actually means the store manager (the only salaried employee) doesn't need to stay super late to finish something like shipments because they'll be able to pay hourlies to do it. (they often ship used games from store to store).

It's a fucking scumbag company and always was. Don't shop there.
Store Leaders aren't salaried anymore and haven't been for a short while now.

OP
OP
Cheddahz

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
Labor hours to use is for the managers to give to their employees, not 'lol you get to work 10 more hours'.
Each store has a weekly budget, this prize is giving that store extra budget for the week.
With the way GameStop uses extra allocated hours as a treat to stores, it still doesn't make it right

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's our gift to you, managers, for dancing the bestest online: you get ten more hours to make someone who is not you work more on Black Friday