• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 23, 2019
These takes are so bad. A company that was shorted 100% does not have it's market cap doubled and lost in two hours during an actual squeeze. It's extremely tiring reading these posts when it's evident the people posting them don't have any idea what's going on.

People on the internet giving opinions on things they don't understand? Why I never! 😬

OP
OP
faint

faint

Oct 27, 2017
People on the internet giving opinions on things they don't understand? Why I never! 😬

lol I know, just kinda regretting posting this thread after folks like you and Chronos post verifiable, legitimate information only for InvestingGenius37 to explain why this is a scam manufactured by Big Reddit and the hedge fund known as WallStreetBets.

Like just read my dudes!

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These takes are so bad. A company that was shorted 100% does not have it's market cap doubled and lost in two hours during an actual squeeze. It's extremely tiring reading these posts when it's evident the people posting them don't have any idea what's going on.

D4OyIsvW0AE0fZl.jpg

I remember the first time I got caught in a dump

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I believe this is the case as well. The good news about the short term volatility is that it'll shake the tree of the people that were never going to hold to begin with. You just gotta hope the majority are holding with you. Set some stop losses at whatever profits you'd be happy with and good luck. I think it has a good chance of breaking $250 and beyond.

And for the "pump and dump" crowd...
1ubfvqedmjd61.png

He's still in.
In the 2nd row, what is the $0.3125 referring to?

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
Me this morning dumping GME buying it back up thinking I would double up versus what happened by the end of the day.

36qher.jpg

Feb 1, 2018
If you missed the GME train don't worry everyones piling into other heavily shorted zombie "I can't believe they're still in business" companies like Tootsie Roll (lol), AMC, BlackBerry, Nokia, and Bed Bath and Beyond

Let's make an ETF that tracks whatever is on the top 10 of shortinterest.net 😂 Ticker can be $MEME

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
The fact that GME has closed at +18% while going from +150% all the way down to -10% throughout the day should tell everyone it's not a simple pump and dump.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that GME has closed at +18% while going from +150% all the way down to -10% throughout the day should tell everyone it's not a simple pump and dump.

It's highly volatile right now because the shorters are fighting back. But uninformed people will see that as a pump and dump.

OP
OP
faint

faint

Oct 27, 2017
In the 2nd row, what is the $0.3125 referring to?

I asked my buddy who can explain options far better than I can:

- He paid $0.3125*100 ($30) per contract and bought 800 contracts ($24,000)
- They're now worth 100*65 ($6,500)

Worth noting he sold 200 contracts this morning when the price was around $112 for $2m.

edit: guy above me answered as well

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think GameStop might be the last time I invest more than 50 dollars on a single stock, at least for awhile. I know it's chump change compared to what could possibly happen if you score big. But for now, I think until I learn the ropes I'll be sticking to investments that are 30 and under lol. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Based off my current value right now I could make out with more than what I put in but obviously shit is gonna change overnight and in the AM.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So are people still holding onto their shares or have they cut their losses? Feels like the people on Reddit who pulled out during the dips are also newbs that bit off more than they can chew. But then again I'm of the notion where I thought 60 dollars was a decent amount of money to bet for the first time from me. Any profit higher than that I'll take. Lol.

Holding but I didn't get in today so I'm doing fine. It's just play money I'm using so it's not like I've got a huge position or anything though. I was following options trading on WSB around this time last year and lost... more than I'd like, and I've got to say that this holding shares thing is waaaay less stressful.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holding but I didn't get in today so I'm doing fine. It's just play money I'm using so it's not like I've got a huge position or anything though. I was following options trading on WSB around this time last year and lost... more than I'd like, and I've got to say that this holding shares thing is waaaay less stressful.

Yeah I'm the same. I threw in what I could afford to lose but I still want the best bang for my buck. Got in on Friday when it dipped to the 60s and it's just been chilling. Watching the line go up and down today. It even dipped below what I bought it for, but it went back up. I know WSB are all about holding, but if it actually doubles my share again tomorrow, I'm definitely taking it this time. But damn that dopamine rush of seeing it increase in the AM was an issue. Lol.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
User Banned (2 Months): Ableist rhetoric, using autism as a pejorative; long history of infractions
/r/wallstreetbets autists going crazy now i bet.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Reading uninformed takes 24/7 and getting it at work too is getting really old really fast

Trading is one of my hobbies and a bunch of get-rich-quick FOMO has made the last week or so especially unbearable. Please let this squeeze soon so we can move on

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Wish I saw this on wallstreetbets last week. Knew it when I saw this morning that it was too high and missed the boat. Don't think it is worth it anymore prob will slide back to its normal value next month but not sure.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading uninformed takes 24/7 and getting it at work too is getting really old really fast

Trading is one of my hobbies and a bunch of get-rich-quick FOMO has made the last week or so especially unbearable. Please let this squeeze soon so we can move on
I played around with $BB for a bit, but I kind of miss how quiet trading was years ago. Robinhood and WSB has made it mainstream. Even RH is advertising trading as an easy way to make money... more like an easy way to waste your paycheck if you don't know what you're doing.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
A surefire sign that we are nearing a significant top in the market, is when everyone decides to get involved because it's "easy money".

All these newly minted traders are in for a rude awakening.

Icelight

Feb 18, 2018
A surefire sign that we are nearing a significant top in the market, is when everyone decides to get involved because it's "easy money".

All these newly minted traders are in for a rude awakening.
"It's different this time"

(And ironically it might be - the Fed will never raise rates or stop throwing out trillions so who knows what will happen)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So blackberry is partnering with Baidu for autonomous vehicles

Pretty big news, they may have been right on this one

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Hoeg's law took a look at all the fun

I laughed my ass off at the guy trying to imply foreign powers is behind WSB pumping gamestop lol

guy on the bottom left looked like he shorted a bunch of GME and couldnt get out in time

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
So is GME still supposed to rise? Cause after today...I am definitely wary. But the buy price isn't bad at all right now.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is GME still supposed to rise? Cause after today...I am definitely wary. But the buy price isn't bad at all right now.

You're just straight gambling if you get in in the morning, this is slightly above correct valuation now imo but it could swing wildly again since people are still fighting shorts.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I feel like a lot of the takes coming out of WSB are pretty disingenuous.

They're playing it like "what? We just think the company is undervalued. There's some interesting ecommerce plays here!" But like, the current market cap is 20% higher than GameStop's all-time high, when they were a retail powerhouse. There's no "play" here that justifies that valuation. (I understand that there's an inflation element here that means we're probably not really at the ATH right now, but the point remains.)

A lot of these Masters of the Universe types are going to lose billions of dollars, and sure, that's nice. I don't give a fuck. But the reality is that a lot of these memers and self-proclaimed "autists" are going to be left holding the bag when this thing goes pop. And it's going to be fucking ugly. Remember the days in 2017 when r/bitcoin had to pin suicide prevention info to the top of the sub? Yeah, it's going to be that all over again in WSB when this thing busts. It's going to be brutal.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I feel like a lot of the takes coming out of WSB are pretty disingenuous.

They're playing it like "what? We just think the company is undervalued. There's some interesting ecommerce plays here!" But like, the current market cap is 20% higher than GameStop's all-time high, when they were a retail powerhouse. There's no "play" here that justifies that valuation. (I understand that there's an inflation element here that means we're probably not really at the ATH right now, but the point remains.)

A lot of these Masters of the Universe types are going to lose billions of dollars, and sure, that's nice. I don't give a fuck. But the reality is that a lot of these memers and self-proclaimed "autists" are going to be left holding the bag when this thing goes pop. And it's going to be fucking ugly. Remember the days in 2017 when r/bitcoin had to pin suicide prevention info to the top of the sub? Yeah, it's going to be that all over again in WSB when this thing busts. It's going to be brutal.

bingo. these ppl are just straight up gambling and speculating on the open market right now. I'm not sure when's gamestop next earning call but when that happened, the whole thing will just crash unto them. Gamestop as a business does not justify its current price.....let alone all the wild $100+ price that ppl are pushing up.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
bingo. these ppl are just straight up gambling and speculating on the open market right now. I'm not sure when's gamestop next earning call but when that happened, the whole thing will just crash unto them. Gamestop as a business does not justify its current price.....let alone all the wild $100+ price that ppl are pushing up.

WSB really makes no pretense that it's not a degenerate gambling sub, but I think this price activity has caused a lot of new users to join and for some reason think that GME should be hundreds of dollars because the guy from Chewy joined the board of directors or something.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
WSB really makes no pretense that it's not a degenerate gambling sub, but I think this price activity has caused a lot of new users to join and for some reason think that GME should be hundreds of dollars because the guy from Chewy joined the board of directors or something.

even warren buffer joining Gamestop's board of directors will not make it worth more than $50...a company needs to have some concrete plans and investments for the future emerging markets & business before it can be determined as a 'sound investment'.

Gamestop is a traditional retailer. It has nothing in regards to the 'future' and with covid going on, it's retail business is basically in tatters. Even if it pivots to pure online, i pales in comparison to amazon in terms of coverage.

It has literally nothing that justify the current stock frenzy.

This is truly mass hysteria that i am observing here. well, this makes for a good case study i guess for posterity's sakes....unfortunately at the expense of a few thousand people going broke.

this is like the same 'toilet paper frenzy' again...huh?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
even warren buffer joining Gamestop's board of directors will not make it worth more than $50...a company needs to have some concrete plans and investments for the future emerging markets & business before it can be determined as a 'sound investment'.

Gamestop is a traditional retailer. It has nothing in regards to the 'future' and with covid going on, it's retail business is basically in tatters. Even if it pivots to pure online, i pales in comparison to amazon in terms of coverage.

It has literally nothing that justify the current stock frenzy.

This is truly mass hysteria that i am observing here. well, this makes for a good case study i guess for posterity's sakes....unfortunately at the expense of a few thousand people going broke.

this is like the same 'toilet paper frenzy' again...huh?
uhhhhh
yeah lots of folks can shop Amazon but GS is still a much larger piece of market for many publishers and titles (and does a much better job of selling DLC than anyone)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It was bad enough when friends or family ask if they should invest in x because they saw an article about it (usually implying already LTTP) but my sister just asked me about WSB 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
uhhhhh
yeah lots of folks can shop Amazon but GS is still a much larger piece of market for many publishers and titles (and does a much better job of selling DLC than anyone)

you are buying shares of the company from the POV of an investor, not a customer..

The quarterly earning calls and numbers don't lie, Gamestop is not a growing business and it's basically a dodo bird in the making.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
you are buying shares of the company from the POV of an investor, not a customer..

The quarterly earning calls and numbers don't lie, Gamestop is not a growing business and it's basically a dodo bird in the making.
GS is a cyclical retail business which the market has never really understood. Revisit this thought a year (or two!) from now when the new consoles have stock available to sell and games people want, plus the company comparing those sales to their leanest years before they cut bait on a ton of storefronts.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was bad enough when friends or family ask if they should invest in x because they say an article about it (usually implying already LTTP) but my sister just asked me about WSB 🤦‍♂️

I don't understand how people have been members of that community longer than a day. KanyeToThe had its own language with the memery, but the cuckoldry comments on WSB along with the silly comments about autism in addition to other slurs makes me wonder how anybody communicates. Maybe it was a bad first impression but they just seemed way too insufferable. Although they know their shit. Apparently.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I don't understand how people have been members of that community longer than a day. KanyeToThe had its own language with the memery, but the cuckoldry comments on WSB along with the silly comments about autism in addition to other slurs makes me wonder how anybody communicates. Maybe it was a bad first impression but they just seemed way too insufferable. Although they know their shit. Apparently.
"Like if 4chan found a Bloomberg terminal"

They are true to their mission statement, if nothing else.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I was reading the daily thread on GME and I barely understand anything. Like this post has me blown away:

Is this kinda thing even possible? Trawling robinhood data to trigger sell-offs? If so, why am I even surprised?

Man reading that sub just reinforces, to me, that I should definitely stick to index funds. I don't have what it takes to trade individual stocks.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I was reading the daily thread on GME and I barely understand anything. Like this post has me blown away:

Is this kinda thing even possible? Trawling robinhood data to trigger sell-offs? If so, why am I even surprised?

Man reading that sub just reinforces, to me, that I should definitely stick to index funds. I don't have what it takes to trade individual stocks.

Selling your trade data is how Robinhood actually makes money, so it's at least plausible.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
A call option. Simply stated: 100x leverage with an expiration date and price to pay for shares at time of expiration.

Mind you this individual opened their original position in 2019 and held through a ~60% drawdown.
I asked my buddy who can explain options far better than I can:

- He paid $0.3125*100 ($30) per contract and bought 800 contracts ($24,000)
- They're now worth 100*65 ($6,500)

Worth noting he sold 200 contracts this morning when the price was around $112 for $2m.

edit: guy above me answered as well
Ah ok, i see. Thanks for the info to the both of you! :)

up 20+% already... lol
Yeah, the stock is swining a lot today. Its been up to almost $100, then down to $80, then up to $95 etc., hehe.