• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Which fund? If it only invests in aggressive stocks then you should have something safer too. Are you with vanguard?

I'm about 30/30/30 with painfully safe, medium, and aggressive, over 12 funds total. Possibly overkill but it's been over about 8 years. the final 10% of what I have invested was for following reddit and yolo options. I think I'm going to put all that to bed and wait for the dust to settle on this though, the party is going to be over soon.
It's just the SP500 index with fidelity. My take on it is that most of the time it beats the market or what any financial advisor could produce. I understand that it can dip like crazy during recessions and have seen it first hand but it doesn't bother me as it always goes back up. I'm only 33 anyway so it's going to be a long time before I tap into it anyway.

that being said I do feel like what I'm doing is overkill. My 401k is with the vanguard sp500 index and I'm maxing out those contributions annually. Ive set up another account with fidelity for the extra cash I can invest but just ended up throwing those into a sp500 index too. I get that bonds are safer but at my age I don't really see any reason in transitioning anything yet.

OP
OP
faint

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice of Robinhood and other brokerages to think of the children and force them to sell at a loss.

Also, would recommend e-Trade to anyone that wants a more robust trading platform. It's not as pretty as some of the more modern apps but it's far less gamified.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
At least the good thing come out of this is there is a billion dollar loss, a private bailout and a hedgefund company got shutdown. Thats a fucking win in anybody's book except for scum rich people.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halting trading is common, and often automated at the exchange when volatility is high.

Blocking specific trades one-way at the brokerage level is not.

It is if your risk management procedures are seen to be lax especially on option and margin trading.

The SEC has likely reached out to all the brokerages asking to see how they are complying with margin requirements, option disclosures etc. The brokerages are supposed to take certain steps to prevent non accredited investors from doing certain things.

Robinhood has like no compliance protocols so they are trying to limit risk and figure out what to do.

This isn't HFs saying block the trading abilities. This is the SEC breathing down the neck of the brokerages asking them to open up their books and procedures.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
These circuit breakers are completely automated, and you're correct it happens every single day.
Halting trading is common, and often automated at the exchange when volatility is high.
Understood.

Blocking specific trades one-way at the brokerage level is not.
Yeah, thats true. I thought he/she was only referring to the halt in the market itself, so i wanted to ask if this wasnt a common thing :) The blocking of being able to place new orders at the traders happened before the big drop (unless some trading platforms added this after the big drop? Then i see what he/she means).

EDIT: I read now that eToro said that there might be trading halts. I'm not sure if this message was posted right before or after the market opened or after the big drop started though, or if "trading halts" is referring to being able to place new orders through eToror, but it sucks big time if they halt new orders at this point in time for sure :\

Last edited:

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
The volume is pretty low. I put $500 in. I may lose it all but oh well, fuck these hedge funds. They're manipulation is out in the open now.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Who would have thought that the stock market would be the biggest thing in video games in 2021? I feel like so many crazy things have happened in the last 12 months that I'm not surprised but also, I sometimes feel like I've moved from one way of living my life to a completely new way because of the world around me changing so rapidly.

Existential gaming thoughts....

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Welp, I tried to buy the dip and lost $5k so far.

But I think there's going to be extreme pressure on these trading platforms, and expect the stock will rocket up once they reopen.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Boy am I glad I got in early. I'd be shitting bricks if I hopped on in the last few days. I'm holding through this but can completely understand why people late to the party would bounce.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This whole situation is so fucked.

Maybe on top of taking a couple of hedge funds down, this event can also take down some of these platforms currently engaging in blatant market manipulation.

Hope this hill was worth dying on for Robinhood.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
It's just the SP500 index with fidelity. My take on it is that most of the time it beats the market or what any financial advisor could produce. I understand that it can dip like crazy during recessions and have seen it first hand but it doesn't bother me as it always goes back up. I'm only 33 anyway so it's going to be a long time before I tap into it anyway.

that being said I do feel like what I'm doing is overkill. My 401k is with the vanguard sp500 index and I'm maxing out those contributions annually. Ive set up another account with fidelity for the extra cash I can invest but just ended up throwing those into a sp500 index too. I get that bonds are safer but at my age I don't really see any reason in transitioning anything yet.

i think saving is based entirely on your mindset, your risk aversion and your income

I agree in index funds, its the safe way. I try to put at least 23% of my gross into retirement, but i'm a way higher income earner than some. I like to be safe and sure and slow with retirement investment

but goddamn if there isn't something exhilarating with going in on meme stocks

i feel obligated everytime i meme stocks with friends IRL that this money is AFTER putting into retirement first.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I don't think the SEC would look kindly on that, but with the wide speculative margins, I can't say that isn't happening.

Hard to make any definitive claims, but that is what it appears to me.

If only I had a faster way to get money into my Fidelity account.... I want to buy the dips but it takes like 2 days for my money to clear.

Robin Hood

Oct 27, 2017
I went in on a few this morning with vanguard. Not a ton of money although no choice but to hold now. Still annoying. Hoping it pops back up once they actually open trading again.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's to protect themselves, mostly. These brokerages often aren't holding the shares you're buying and selling. They don't want to get stuck with a huge obligation they can't fill. It happens all the time with different securities, and at different brokerages.

Anyone claiming that THIS is what finally exposes the corruption on WS simply hasn't been paying attention. Yes, the game is rigged and always has been.

That being said, it is complete BS.

Correct. They are trying to manage risk. They will be on the hook for these huge losses and have to collect as people who shouldn't be in options or on margin are using both. Massive losses mean them having to collect.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Shit is rigged and anyone who was at least half paying attention has gotten all the proof they need.

I bounced out of GME at the high this morning though. I'm off this ride but rooting for anyone still fighting the good fight. I wasn't looking to make bank, but I far exceeded what I was hoping for. Can't cry over what you didn't have in the first place, so no FOMO here.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
They must be shorting GME harder now and forcing the price down while they halt the trade time and time again.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I really hope that Robinhood is absolutely ruined from this. I doubt it, but they deserve to fail after hurting the very people they advertised their product to.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Halted again for a meager $10 increase, so either there is some more crazy fuckery going on, or shit's about to get real when it reopens again

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
They're trying to scare everyone out, and breaking the law to do it. There's no reason to sell now.

This honestly is my thinking as well (although again I don't know nothing about any market stuff). I figure you don't go to this much trouble unless you've got something serious on the line, so what is coming that they're pushing so hard for this to happen? It just feels like a move to break spirits and have folks cut their losses.

Anyway, fascinating times. Very interested to see what the next few days hold.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hedges are prob coordinating with the halts in the market to drive the price down, most probably by shorting it even further so cover their losses.