• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I understand that this is more complex than just a bunch of memekids fighting against billionaires wall streeters and that HFT probably played a huge part of all of this, but you can see posts of people paying their student debt, their medical bills, etc... on reddit, so at least some kind of wealth redistribution happened and several billionaires were squezeed badly, so in the end is a pleasure to watch from the sidelines.

This is all so much fun to watch.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
i have a terrible FOMO on this, but i believe is too late to jump in, unless is for the memes to make history
GME is a ticking timebomb at this point.

If you're not in by now, I'd say it's probably too late. People can only hold for so long and even though people are claiming that they're holding till Friday, I have no doubt we're gonna see people liquidate en masse tomorrow.

The stock might go up to $500.00, but at some point somebody is going to be left holding the fucking bag.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So this is what they mean by trickle down
Is this man famous/rich so even if the stock drops it doesn't hurt him too bad?

He noticed the potential of a short squeeze and bet that GameStop wasn't completely dead because of the new consoles launch.

So he bought 50k worth of shares in 2019...That worth 43 millions today.

btw, he is NOT selling

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
He noticed the potential of a short squeeze and bet that GameStop wasn't completely dead because of the new consoles launch.

So he bought 50k worth of shares in 2019...That worth 43 millions today.

btw, he is NOT selling

To be fair, he sold a bit of his april call options (Which makes sense, the odds of this staying that high 2 months from now are near nothing), but he's kept all his stock, yeah.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wanted to get in on this, is it too late? I've never done anything with stocks before but it seems wild enough to at least try.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If someone wanted to get in on this, is it too late? I've never done anything with stocks before but it seems wild enough to at least try.
If you want to have some fun just put in something like $30 and enjoy the memes. But be prepared to lose them. I'd say it's late to profit from $GME, but who knows.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to have some fun just put in something like $30 and enjoy the memes. But be prepared to lose them. I'd say it's late to profit from $GME, but who knows.
No, don't, people are saying to bail before Friday. I dunno about the whole trading situation now.
Thank you. I wasn't sure so I figured I had to ask. Seems like it would've been fun to jump in on earlier.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Tomorrow is the big day. I wanted so bad to enter, but from where I live it's no possible...

But if you never touched stocks before, you won't have the guts to hold steady, so I would advise against.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What are the dangers of that $30 netting you a huge loss at the end of this all? Possible or impossible (because the lending amount is manageably low)?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
What are the dangers of that $30 netting you a huge loss at the end of this all? Possible or impossible (because the lending amount is manageably low)?
The most you can lose is $30. And that's only if the stock goes to 0. Assuming you're using your own money and not margin.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
None. If you just buy shares (a fraction even) you can just lose as much as you put in. You won't get your 30 back, maybe you could sell for 3 let's say.

For you to actually lose money, more than the 30 you put in, you'd have to short it and the price of the share price to go up for example.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been completely lost on this whole thong, would this be a decent analogy?

Pretty much, yeah. Add in to this analogy that the person on the other side of that contract can force K Rool to buy the bananas immediately if that person sees the price getting uncomfortably high, so K Rool can't just wait for the price of bananas to go back down, he would have to pay out.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
This true?

Edit: on the Reddit
At this time, we believe someone within Discord has hijacked our server and pointed it to another server not related to us.

The situation is still evolving and we apologize for the outage. As new information becomes available, we will update this thread.

In the meantime, here is the backup:

Edit: The backup discord is experiencing significant lag.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been completely lost on this whole thing, would this be a decent analogy?

The one correction is that Cranky doesn't buy the bananas at a higher price, he just buys them all at market price because he knows K. Rool is legally bound to buy all of them. Now that Cranky owns the entire stock of bananas he can extort K. Rool for whatever price he sets.

It's kind of flawed still though because in reality a whole group of people are buying the bananas, each with their own idea of what a proper price is, but that's generally what's happening.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
EswGpULWMAUfekW

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The 99%, if well organized, can bring down the entire system. This just shows how that system can be exploited and turned around.

Maybe from now on hedge funds stop shorting everything so hard, or they'll meet the same fate by the same peeps.