• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
In short, suddenly it feels like too much is changing too fast! The world many of us have been accustomed to for so long is rapidly shifting. With the slow crawl of death for Gamestop, an ecosystem of physical trade-ins, rare finds and supporting future purchases is disapearing. E3 is becoming a shadow of the yearly gaming Christmas event that we looked forward to. Turn based games are no longer system sellers and series like Disgaea's future in doubt.
I feel much uncertainty right now. What about you Era? And how will you navigate this new world we are entering. Excited for change? Scared of what is lost?

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop dying is a a tragedy for the Industry.

Gamestop are bastards no doubt, and they crushed opposition out of existence, so no, it couldn't happened to a nicer company.

Regardless having a High Street presence for games is such a positive thing for visibility and tangibility.

Films and Music will always get attention in the media but games won't, for the size of gaming not that much of it slips into the public consiousness, the zeitgeist.

I'm not suggesting that gaming will disappear if game stop goes, I am saying that the world will be a fuller placer when brick and mortar game shops are extinct from the avarage high street, we won't realise it till there gone and that's despite GameStop being the cause of the death if the independent shops in the first place.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
It's most disappointing that we're losing E3. It has always been the peak of excitement for gaming.

Having the news more spread out could be nice as well, but damn was E3 always exciting.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to Disgaea? I've been hesitant to book up that series because while I love tactical RPGs, I found the characters very annoying based on the demo of D5.

Oct 27, 2017
That's natural selection for you.

I'll miss having a place to pick up nerd trinkets and those AA games for PS3 that never received much hype, but Gamestop priced itself out of the market and couldn't compete.

No opinion on E3, I'll be fine. Disgaea dying sucks for the fans, but nothing that makes me bat an eyelid.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Sad about E3 having less participation. E3 has always been gaming's Super Bowl. Sucks some do see it that way anymore.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
E3 dying - whatever, it was more of a "state of the industry" event more than anything. I'd rather have each of the big wigs do their own show when they're ready like PSX. E3 forces devs and companies to hit a certain timeline to be able to make certain announcements rather than whenever something is ready to be shown.

GameStop dying - with their archaic policies I'm surprised they didn't die out sooner. The lack of price-matching, overcharging for used titles, the ability to return used-games within 7 days (basically a practice that was not profitable in the first place), and the shifting focus to digital titles makes things a bit harder on them.

Disgaea - Disgaea died? When?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I maintain that as long as GS makes it to new hardware launches, they will be FINE. They need to own themselves though, badly.

E3 makes me really sad, as like...my one life goal I haven't really hit yet and even if I get to go now, will it matter by the time I do?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
disgaea is for people who buy their anime merch from hot topic, dood

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
E3 dying is relatively inconsequential. Game announcements will move elsewhere, publishers will hold their own announcements, platform holders will organize their own events, smaller events will grow to fill the space. It was expensive and stressful for a lot of game devs, too, in ways that weren't beneficial for most.

Gamestop dying is legitimately a bad thing for lower income people, and only furthers our descent into an all-digital future in which game preservation and ownership over products becomes more difficult to navigate and fight for, which is also a shame.

Disgaea, well, I won't lose sleep over it.

Some change is good, sometimes change is bad.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I wouldn't say E3 is dying. Most major companies are still there. Gamestop is more disappointing, I wish there were more video game stores in general.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
disgaea is for people who say they love curry but never eaten it or seen it before, dood

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Disgaea, more like Dis guy, eh. Ayy I'm walking here...

Anyway, for all its problems, I'd be disappointed if E3 went away. For all of its (many) problems, it's neat for games to have a time to show off and for everyone to come together and snark the shit out of it on Twitter.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
disgaea is for people who get their naruto headbands confiscated by the homeroom teacher, dood

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
disgaea was never alive to begin with, dood
disgaea is for people who say they love curry but never eaten it or seen it before, dood
disgaea is for people who get their naruto headbands confiscated by the homeroom teacher, dood
b7pOX75.jpg

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
That's fair.
I could see that.
HOW DARE YOU.
Disgaea is for people who forgot the cookies
YOU FORGOT THE COOKIES?!

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Gamestop - It's in trouble but if it dies, it'll be a slow death, I think. Pretty sure they'll make it to next year at least.

E3 - Sad in a way, but it's not the same as it was 10 years ago as far as information sharing goes. Games are outgrowing industry-only trade shows like this in favor of their own events. Still as someone who never worked in video games, I've always wanted to go to one of these just to see it.

Disgaea- Not sure on this one but I think Fire Emblem proves that turn-based strategy can sell. Disgaea may not be able to light up the charts though.