• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I grabbed some stuff from the store that my friends work at. Pretty sad stuff. They all taking advantage of the deals though, and lots of store managers from the area (who I also knew) also were in, so it was almost like a little reunion with everyone in the area.

5 for $5 was an amazing deal, got a late Christmas gift for a friend (Switch v2) and a Lite for myself (which they still had a ton of, but customers didn't seem to want).

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see no WV stores closing. The one I go to has some nice people.

I have over $200 in credit. I'm hoping a store stays open until new consoles release.
I was shocked to see none of the ones in the Charleston area are closing. Really hope they don't, of course, but I figured either the one in the town center or on the corridor would be closed for sure.

Guess this doesn't necessarily mean they're in the clear though.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope everyone lands on their feet OK. I hate that retail is becoming a thing of the past.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
More than likely culling the worst performing stores in the company. And with a company with as much bloat as Gamestop, there's probably a lot of em.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
None near me, sadly. On the other hand, I hope the employees losing their jobs land on their feet.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what T-shirt sales they'll have. That's really the only thing I buy from there and only when they're on sale.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed they haven't made a listing for the Switch Lite for trade ins, after all this time. Their website didn't list standard price cuts like the PS4 drop. So I guess I'm not that surprised that things appear to be in disarray at the moment.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I meant. I meant the company. The employees are just casualties. The trade values were laughable and the gutted game policy was ridiculous. Great people at my local stores that would always try to help. I heard the manager at my local store just got promoted to District Manager. He's a great guy so I hope the company survives a while.
You only have to blame game makers for not sending display cases. They're not going to let games be on shelves unprotected.
As for trading values those are there to offset their decline in value and unsold inventory since they will take all your games, regardless of condition.

Someone explained why the trade values are what they are at the old place and while you may believe (you not beeing the litteral you) that your copy of CoD Advanced Warfare is worth a ton, reality is different.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have two GameStop stores directly across the street from each other. One is in a mall and the other is across the street in a shopping center. I'm surprised they're still keeping both of them open. Why have two so damn close? The mall one sucks. Close that one.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, the list doesn't contain every store. The first gs I ever worked at is closing and is not on that list.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Well, shit. The Maine Mall GameStop is closing. That's the one I grew up with. Right in the childhood.

As a former Maine Mall Electronics Boutique worker, I can't feel super-sad about this. I am surprised, though, because of the three(!) in the area I would have thought it would be the one doing the best, especially in its prime location.

Having said that, all my physical gaming purchases in the last... forever have been at Bull Moose, either just up the street from the Maine Mall or in-town Portland.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
The three closest to me survived, including the one I've used for the last 20 years. Hope those affected are able land a new job quickly.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this greedy corporation exiting the video game retail scene so that independent game stores can once again be a thing.

(aside from the people losing their jobs)

ChillyBilly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't rely on that list being 100% accurate. I just checked and there are two stores near me (Belvedere and Schaumburg, Illinois) that are closing. Neither is on the list.

Also, there's another wave (wave 2) that'll be coming soon (a buddy of mine is the manager at the Belvedere, IL store that is closing who passed along the info) so that should be interesting...

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the employees but not the company. Although I'll say thanks for that trade in deal you had 3 or so years ago that was a b2g1 stacked with a trade 6 games in for 60% bonus that basically made me $1500+ with items and alot converted into amazon credit

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I wanna check the store in Manhattan. Im reading that theres a 5 for $5 for games under $20.
Thats a steal and Ive been meaning to try MH: World

I feel bad for the employees but not the company. Although I'll say thanks for that trade in deal you had 3 or so years ago that was a b2g1 stacked with a trade 6 games in for 60% bonus that basically made me $1500+ with items and alot converted into amazon credit
That trade in deal got me a free Switch Lol.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this was needed years ago. like i said before gamestop has too many locations in a short distance. they are just as bad as mcdonalds and walgreens. they messed up by keeping all the stores they acquired when they were buying out all of their competition and now its bitten them in the ass.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to this greedy corporation exiting the video game retail scene so that independent game stores can once again be a thing.

(aside from the people losing their jobs)

I mean, mom n pops can/are still be a thing without them. Independants also don't really stock a lot of new titles, for the most part, and "retro" was something that GS never really embraced, anyways. GS never really stopped them being a thing, from what I've seen.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
As a former Maine Mall Electronics Boutique worker, I can't feel super-sad about this. I am surprised, though, because of the three(!) in the area I would have thought it would be the one doing the best, especially in its prime location.

Having said that, all my physical gaming purchases in the last... forever have been at Bull Moose, either just up the street from the Maine Mall or in-town Portland.
I remember shopping at the EB occasionally too, up until the buyout / shutdown. Bull Moose was also a frequent stop in high school, but we went to the one down in Portsmouth since it was sales tax free :-) .

I'm also surprised that this was the Gamestop that got shut down, but maybe they had to pay too much for the location. Guess we'll see if this tides them over to the new systems launch at the end of the year.

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
Just called the Herndon VA store and they confirmed they're closing on the 26th. Gonna head there tonight and see what I can find.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
this was needed years ago. like i said before gamestop has too many locations in a short distance. they are just as bad as mcdonalds and walgreens. they messed up by keeping all the stores they acquired when they were buying out all of their competition and now its bitten them in the ass.

Franchises can getcreally bad. There used to be sooo many Subways near me, but now Subway really isn't a popular choice here. Now a ton have closed down, with only a few in the area (which is still plenty). I wish companies did a better job of "growth" without having a sheer amount of stores. Now it's getting them in ttouble with poor future planning. Franchises are different, but even those were allowed to open so close to each other.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I wonder how things would be if they handled their store more like Japan does. Where the quality of the game would impact the sales price on certain products and it was made a point to keep what is on the shelves in a good condition. Then again, I guess that's just a US thing where a lot of used goods just aren't treated very well.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how things would be if they handled their store more like Japan does. Where the quality of the game would impact the sales price on certain products and it was made a point to keep what is on the shelves in a good condition. Then again, I guess that's just a US thing where a lot of used goods just aren't treated very well.

I'd say the cultures are also very different, with standards in general. With the amount of people/trades that came in to stores, it would probably be harder on the workers to assess games from A-D rank or whatever, and even give a higher/lower price depending. Corporate is just like "eh send them back to refurb" and employees get paid low to really care, too.

Nov 27, 2017
California
The beginning of the end :(
Honestly they are probably closing stores that aren't doing well/ in malls since malls charge a lot for space, I see the ones closing in Massachusetts are in malls.
I think that thinkgeek will go first or get its products moved into GameStop, there are some thinkgeek stores around here.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
if only the staff wasn't so annoying. Like, stop trying to buy my new games for like 2 cents as if you were doing me a favor

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
if only the staff wasn't so annoying. Like, stop trying to buy my new games for like 2 cents as if you were doing me a favor
The worst part is that anyone can take their phone, go to Price Charting or GVN and know how much value they should be getting. There's almost no point when you can sell on Kijiji/Marketplace for almost the full value of your games. So when you go to GameStop and they offer you so little, it's insulting and only taking advantage of people who don't know better.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The worst part is that anyone can take their phone, go to Price Charting or GVN and know how much value they should be getting. There's almost no point when you can sell on Kijiji/Marketplace for almost the full value of your games. So when you go to GameStop and they offer you so little, it's insulting and only taking advantage of people who don't know better.

It's pawn shop convenience. Not everyone enjoys taking the time to sell directly, meet people up, eBay, etc.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised the ones close to me have survived. I got 2 10-15min from me another 2 around 20mins. I do think 3 of them are in a good position to stay profitable but there is definetly one in which I'm shocked it hasn't been closed since it's very hard to get to without a car. I hope they stick around until after the new consoles since I'd like to trade in my current gen consoles stress-free.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, mom n pops can/are still be a thing without them. Independants also don't really stock a lot of new titles, for the most part, and "retro" was something that GS never really embraced, anyways. GS never really stopped them being a thing, from what I've seen.
They were more of a thing before GS became the empire it was, and then they started going out of business, at least here in Los Angeles.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it's just a GameStop thing where they slap those huge residue-leaving stickers on used game cases and sell "new" games in opened cases.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on till PS5 GameStop....

HOLD!!!!!!!!!!

I share this wish. GS, you gotta make it..
I was there for this. I didn't go that crazy, but it did leave me with a cleaner closet (got rid of a lot of PS3 games), essential free Nintendo Switch Zelda Bundle (including Pro Controller), $50 steam gift card, and $120 in trade credit. I'm hoping to be able to use this on a PS5.