• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME) announced that it has entered into a multi-year strategic partnership agreement with Microsoft Corp., further advancing its strategy to expand its physical and digital video game offerings, as well as enhance the Company's retail technology infrastructure. With over 5,000+ retail stores worldwide and its world-class eCommerce platform, GameStop leverages its vast customer network, PowerUp Rewards, and omni-channel capabilities to deliver enhanced gaming solutions to its customers. Through this partnership, GameStop will standardize the Company's business operations on Microsoft's cloud solutions and hardware products to deliver rich new digital experiences to customers, creating the "ultimate gaming destination" for gamers in its vision to be the premier omni-channel customer access point for video game products.

Basically, they're going full Microsoft with their back end and retail technology, and selling Xbox All Access packages.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
So... They're basically making their own Gamestop webstore, for Xbox stuff? I wonder how big this'll be

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A pretty unwise investment from Microsoft IMO.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The Xbox All Access thing was already known, the rest just seems to be backend, nothing really that interesting here

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if GameStop will have their own store like EGS and Steam in PC. Good stuff for them

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's really smart. I'm guessing they'll push GamePass heavy and have incentive to push used products of Sony and Nintendo over Microsoft

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Gamestop is a well-known store brand. Worst thing that happens is Gamestop goes under, and Microsoft shrug and keep doing what they are doing.

Now, if Microsoft BOUGHT Gamestop or something - THAT would be an unwise investment.

Oct 29, 2017
It makes you wonder how much money they will lose .
Gamestop is a well-known store brand. Worst thing that happens is Gamestop goes under, and Microsoft shrug and keep doing what they are doing.

Now, if Microsoft BOUGHT Gamestop or something - THAT would be an unwise investment.
pretty much . Still surprised how fast ppl ger worried about MS investments

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well here is the lifeline Gamestop needed.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Trade in incentives to get people into next gen and the Xbox ecosystem is a smart investment.

Oct 27, 2017
This...is actually really smart for both companies.

Microsoft closed down (I believe) the last of its stores due to declining sales + the pandemic, so this gives them a dedicated retailer to work with once more.

And Gamestop...can use all the support it can get in order to stay around. Gamestop's actually been pretty great lately w/ their sales, Deals of the Day, and even getting quality merch like nendoroids.

If they can keep it up and continue to improve upon these aspects, I'm fine if they ask me at check-out if I want the Series S or X.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'll be honest, I'm amazed how Gamestop is still around. Best of luck to them I guess, here's hoping helping with Xbox All Access because a catalyst for a comeback or something.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It would be interesting if Gamestop along with Microsoft developed a method for digital trade in's. Not sure what the benefit to Microsoft is or how the business plan would work would be but hey it would definitely save Gamestop. It would allow on the fence buyers to find possibly reduce priced "licenses" as long as they are available, but I would be doubtful 3rd parties would go along with it.

Let me turn in my discs to GameStop and have them converted to digital titles added to my account. GameStop gets their used games to sell and MS gets more people locked into an all digital ecosystem.

This would also be an interesting partnership idea, though only buys Gamestop time since it would be moving to an all digital future by next generation.

Nov 2, 2019
Let me turn in my discs to GameStop and have them converted to digital titles added to my account. GameStop gets their used games to sell and MS gets more people locked into an all digital ecosystem.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So does this mean that you'll get only 5 dollars when you self a used XBox game and only $2 with non-Xbox games

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit they may actually aid with going all digital now. Imagine exclusive game loading in Gamestop stores where they load up a hard drive or your console with the games (that you've paid for or gamepass games) that would really help people with crappy internet.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guess instead of harassing you to buy warranty and magazines they will now ask you to buy a series x with payments. wonder how much they will be getting for every person that buys a seriex x/s with a payment plan.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They've been making a lot of investments, they were bound to make a dumb one eventually

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like this is as much of an Xbox/GameStop partnership as a Microsoft one, right? It's basically them switching to Azure, not them saying "we're going to dedicate more real estate to Xbos."

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I predicted something like this could happen... though I was thinking as far out as a total takeover

Protect the retail side and expand your own exposure.