• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I think PC exclusives were rejected along with Switch.

It would explain why Disco Elysium and Crusader Kings III are no-shows (though I'm unsure if the latter is considered last-gen or current-gen).

Really solid, representative list otherwise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not just Wii U and Switch, but also Vita, 3DS, mobile, and other (VR/cloud/etc).
i think their thinking was probably using the launch of ps5/xbox series as an excuse to look back at the best games of the previous consoles from sony/MS, and then they mixed some pc-only games in there as well. definitely a unique approach...

I think PC exclusives were rejected along with Switch.

It would explain why Disco Elysium and Crusader Kings III are no-shows (though I'm unsure if the latter is considered last-gen or current-gen).

Really solid, representative list otherwise.
well, games like a short hike and hades are on there, which are only on PC as far as their qualified platforms are concerned.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Hollow Knight, Ghost of Tsushima, Life Is Strange, MGS V and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided would be way higher on my list (and RDR2 way lower) and Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Subnautica, Days Gone, Nioh and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are missing entirely.

Otherwise it's actually pretty solid. Special shoutout to Dishonored at #13, probably in my personal Top 5.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
It's a good list in general, but there are some weird additions/omissions. And yes, Disco Elysium should be included.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I should get around playing God of War eventually. Though the first few hours were good but they didn't captivate me that much, but I've been seeing a lot of praise for the game recently (feels like it's being more praised now than it was back 2018, tbh).

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Gone Home didn't make the cut.

Seemed like that one really kicked off the whole Narrative Walking Simulator thing. Also remains one of my absolute favorites of the sub-genre, only rivaled by Edith Finch.

Strange that The Walking Dead (Season 1) missing too.

Not complaining or anything (it's their list). Just kinda strange is all.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Looks like a pretty good list, some games missing but nothing major.

Excluding switch games are pretty weird tho.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Surprised Gone Home didn't make the cut.

Seemed like that one really kicked off the whole Narrative Walking Simulator thing. Also remains one of my absolute favorites of the sub-genre, only rivaled by Edith Finch.

Strange that The Walking Dead (Season 1) missing too.

Not complaining or anything (it's their list). Just kinda strange is all.
Weren't they both originally released before X1 and PS4 came out?

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly.... this is a great list.

Obviously a few games should have been included, but it's a solid list nonetheless.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what it says about either me or the list, but if I were to pick a slice of games from that list, it'd easily be 49-40.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
In a list like this I think you need to include either the switch or the Wiiu. Or considering how most of the big WiiU games have came out for the switch, go ahead and call the WiiU the switch's false start and combine them into one generation.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Where's botw, mario odyssey, smash ultimate, donkey Kong country returns tropical freeze.

Ignoring nintendo completely invalidates this list.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I normally don't complain about Best Of lists, but seeing Cyberpunk on the list just invalidates all of it for me. I get that they are referring to the PC version, but if they want to exclude Nintendo games to keep more of a focus on the PS4/XB1's life spans, they should factor in the completely broken PS4/XB1 versions of the game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's one per franchise and Bloodborne took the spot (in spite of not being in the franchise) but it's weird having that one so high yet no Dark Souls III.

My personal favorite not included is Sunset Overdrive. Gameplay and traversal was just so damn good.

And Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game. Switch should be excluded but not the Wii U. Maybe they only counted PS/Xbox/PC or something.

Pretty good list overall though.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I normally don't complain about Best Of lists, but seeing Cyberpunk on the list just invalidates all of it for me. I get that they are referring to the PC version, but if they want to exclude Nintendo games to keep more of a focus on the PS4/XB1's life spans, they should factor in the completely broken PS4/XB1 versions of the game.
It definitely feels like a having their cake and eating it too situation. They've also thrown Hades and A Short Hike in there too despite them appearing on neither the PS4 or XB1. Hard to complain about omissions on a list like this because opinions and all that but the fact that there's no PC-only games (e.g. Disco Elysium) is also a bit odd.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow didn't even see Cyberpunk on the list lmao

What an arbitrary list with arbitrary rules then.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've played 95 games on this list lol

Missing Gorgoa, Rock Band 4, A Short Hike, Thimble Weed Park and Kentucky Route Zero,

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Great top 10, except Fortinite and God of War should have been the first.
Its safe to say GameRadar goty 2020 is Part II.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems odd to completely omit Dark Souls III when Bloodborne comes in at #3 on the list.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Royal continues to get disrespected. The game is at the very top of MC but never in any top 10. How in the fck?

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Lack of Switch is whatever. Lack of Wii U is just...strange? The platform did exist, whether or not I want that to be true. Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, Mario Maker, 3D World, and Pikmin 3 definitely belong on this list.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Ignoring the absolutely fucking stupid premise of this list that excludes tons of games from the past 7 years and still pushing it as anything resembling a "Best Games of the Generation" list... It's fine I guess? Doesn't resemble mine much at all. I'd very easily place games like Hollow Knight and Celeste far above Horizon and God of War. God of War to me is the epitome of "good not great" where the only thing the game truly excelled in was its phenomenal art direction. Horizon is pretty similar, except I'm not sure I'd call it good. It was fine, I guess. In general, to me, it feels like the more "gameplay-focused" indie titles like Celeste, Hollow Knight, Hades, Spelunky, and whatever else placed lower than I feel they should have.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
P.T. the demo? Really? Might as well add the MGS2 Tanker mission demo to top PS2 game while they're at it.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Nice list, for me No.1 is Half Life Alyx but I totally get that it is on pretty niche hardware for the time being so not too many got to play it.

It's crazy to think that the only Bethesda open world style game we got this gen is Fallout 4 - and that we're coming up to a decade since Skyrim!

Also, regardless of what anyone's opinion is on Cyberpunk 2077, I think it's way too soon to be including it in any list covering a large time period (unless it's a standard game of the year one). Too much recency bias and with a hyped release like this I think you need to let the dust settle before ranking it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know there are too many great games to include but leaving out Monster Boy, Prey, and Streets of Rage 4 doesn't sit well at all when stuff like Oxenfree makes it in.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
Dishonored 1 was something totally new and great fun, Dishonored 2 was more of the same, it's maybe an objectively better game if you took the two as separate entities but saying 2 is better than 1 as a game of the generation is a stretch. Also Cuphead down in the 70s? Bullshit.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I mean, it is true that Nintendo does its own thing and has generational cycles of its own, but it is still strange to review the last 7-8 years and not include things like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and even Luigi's Mansion 3, just to name a few.

Still, it's a very good list despite the fact that I think Cyberpunk 2077 in its current state doesn't deserve any kind of recognition and should be replaced by something genuinely good and well built, like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission for example.