• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamesRadar: Will Sony Dominate The Next Generation Or Can Microsoft Stage A Huge Comeback

• Yes

Votes: 853 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 250 20.8%
  • Stadia will

Votes: 101 8.4%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has fucked up royally in the past, it's entirely possible they could fuck up again. Especially considering they're in full Arrogant Sony mode at the moment.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
The PS3 sold around 90 million units. The Wii did about 100. Nintendo was in NO WAY dominant over Sony that generation and Sony kept selling systems easily long after interest in the Wii died and did so at a much higher price point. Have you ever seen a $99 PS3? Because I haven't.

Outsold, yes. But not the "Outsold you by 70-130 million units" margins that the Playstation had consistently been pulling off. And keep in mind Sony killed the PS3 VERY early compared to the PS1 and 2, because the thing was very expensive for them and very hard to cost reduce. Had they kept it on the market as they did the PS1 and 2, they would have outsold the Wii easily. Nintendo has never had those kinds of margins over the competition in the console space.

The PSP sold about 75 million units, and was the first attempt by Sony in that space. Hell, it was the first viable attempt ANY company had ever made in handheld land in 16 years. Nintendo had a monopoly in that space with no other competition since 1989 when the PSP launched. The fact it sold as well as it did was incredible.

The NES, SNES, and possibly N64 being cartridge based systems had a completely different business model than current consoles do. Because of the way making and ordering games worked, third parties could not afford to produce carts on the level that Nintendo themselves could, and Nintendo's first party titles had an unfair advantage. It's one of the reasons third parties ran from the cart based model as soon as a viable CD competitor became available. Apples and oranges here, my guy.
I see you are not commenting Vita at all. Why is that?

How about PlayStation Classic? That piece of shit is probably buried deep already.

Sony branded Classic console should have easily beaten Nintendo Classics, right?

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
They have a serious shot at taking back NA but they aren't making up the difference globally.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Sony will dominate next gen unless they start out the gate terribly. They're still pumping out fantastic games at the end of PS4s run and it'll lead to a great start for the PS5 for sure.

With sequels from Spider-Man and God of War coming too there's no way those who played em wouldn't get a PS5 knowing they're coming.
I haven't plugged in my Xbone in probably a year, just nothing that really catches my eye and I'm a guy that never played the big Sony exclusives. God of War was my first in the series and I started the Uncharted games late.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I see, that's actually quite shocking to me honestly, especially when during the 360 era MS seemed to have a huge lead in terms of sales.

They didn't. The PS3 and 360 ended up in pretty much a tie- the last numbers were have for either are "about 84 million" for the 360 and "about" 87 million for the PS3.

The PS3 arrived a year later than the 360, but both were discontinued the same year. The PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide every single year they were both on the market, despite launching at a completely absurd price point. Again the PS3 if launched tomorrow at the same price would be $760. There is no one Sony included that could get away with launching a console right now at damned near $800 and go on to sell nearly 90 million of them.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The PS3 sold around 90 million units. The Wii did about 100. Nintendo was in NO WAY dominant over Sony that generation. Outsold, yes. But not the "Outsold you by 70-130 million units" margins that the Playstation had consistently been pulling off. Nintendo has never had those kinds of margins over the competition in the console space.

With that big wins i was referring to handhelds (which are consoles too), where Nintendo has always had those huge margins over Sony. I mentioned Wii cause it is still the best selling home console of gen 7 after all.

The PSP sold about 75 million units, and was the first viable attempt by Sony in that space. Hell, it was the first viable attempt ANY company had ever made in handheld land in 16 years. Nintendo had a monopoly in that space with no other competition since 1989 when the PSP launched. The fact it sold as well as it did was incredible.

It's still only half of Nintendo DS sales (154.02 mln units)

Sony had some good ideas with PSP but in the long run you could totally see their lack of commitment, with PS Vita you could have seen that lack of commitment right from the start. Nintendo has always been extremely committed on their portables (not as much with the home consoles)

The point is back to your original post, there is really not a brand universally better than the others in the console industry: Sony and Nintendo had their big wins and their failures, SEGA mostly failures, Microsoft has always been in the mix.

The NES, SNES, and possibly N64 being cartridge based systems had a completely different business model than current consoles do. Because of the way making and ordering games worked, third parties could not afford to produce carts on the level that Nintendo themselves could, and Nintendo's first party titles had an unfair advantage. It's one of the reasons third parties ran from the cart based model as soon as a viable CD competitor became available. Apples and oranges here, my guy.

I'm merely talking about the contents, you talk about third party relations now which is a complete different topic.

Nintendo built a first production during those first three gens, with internal studios and partnerships with external ones, and most of those partnerships are still in place today after 20-30 years.

What Sony in the PS3-PS4 (building that first party production) and what Microsoft is doing now is similar to that except it started much much later and they are still keeping all the good third party relations that as you mentioned Nintendo lost at some point.

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I see, that's actually quite shocking to me honestly, especially when during the 360 era MS seemed to have a huge lead in terms of sales.

Are Microsoft even concerned with hardware sales numbers these days though? Especially considering they are putting all of their games on PC and even Steam now.

Seems to be that their model is more about the software/subscription side of things.
Of course they're concerned. It'd be stupid not to be concerned when you lost over 40m units compared to last gen.

They've simply chose to not show it and instead focused on their subscription model. It's a growing market but it'd be ignorant to not notice that those subscriptions are tied to the unit sales even if only partially.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I don't trust Google, period.
No one does
052e33f7-0118-4dfe-be4k9v.jpeg

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Worldwide Sony will dominate but Microsoft will make a big come back in US and UK with near equal sales there.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I see you are not commenting Vita at all. Why is that?

the handheld market entered a SEVERE contraction the following generation. The 3DS didn't come close to the sales of the DS, and the Vita failed compared to the PSP. Sony drastically scaled back support for the Vita when this became apparent.

This is the reason you have a hybrid console in the Switch now instead of a dedicated handheld.

How about PlayStation Classic? That piece of shit is probably buried deep already.

Pretty sure we're talking console systems, of which the PS classic isn't one?

Sony branded Classic console should have easily beaten Nintendo Classics, right?

Sony has allowed PS1 games to remain in circulation and be playable for next to nothing on every system up to the PS3 and Vita. You could buy a PS1 game digitally on PSP (75 million units sold), and use that same PS1 title on the PS3 (90m), Vita (15m), and PSTV (negligible). Nintendo did not allow this.

Physical copies of playstation games also had a circulation easily TEN TIMES that of cart based games, because production was cheaper.

A PS Classic was a bad idea from the start, because demand would not be the same as it would be for a system based on cart based titles that were less common and harder to come by.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will probably sell more as it's a global brand. Microsoft will close the gap somewhat though. If reports are true that the PS5 is more powerful, Xbox has to launch at a cheaper price point as it did with the 360 to be competitive.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Things will continue as they are now, I think, with Microsoft looking like a more and more attractive option by the day because I doubt Sony will go all in on features like Microsoft did, as they won't feel they have to. This will put Microsoft in a better and better position as time goes on. I haven't bought a PS4 game since Spiderman, and I have no plans whatsoever to get a PS5 at any point, something I couldn't have said two years ago. And I hope Sony continues to dominate, as that's what made Xbox into the monster platform it's become over the last three years.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
the handheld market entered a SEVERE contraction the following generation. The 3DS didn't come close to the sales of the DS, and the Vita failed compared to the PSP.

This is the reason you have a hybrid console in the Switch now instead of a dedicated handheld.

Pretty sure we're talking console systems, of which the PS classic isn't one?

Sony has allowed PS1 games to remain in circulation and be playable for next to nothing on every system up to the PS3 and Vita. You could buy a PS1 game digitally on PSP, and use that same PS1 title on the PS3, Vita, and PSTV. Nintendo did not allow this.

Physical copies of playstation games also had a circulation easily TEN TIMES that of cart based games, because production was cheaper.

A PS Classic was a bad idea from the start, because demand would not be the same as it would be for a system based on cart based titles that were less common and harder to come by.
Haha all the excuses.

When Sony wins, it's because they always win because they're perfect and the brand is so amazingly strong.

When Sony loses, it doesn't count because of made up excuses.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Pricing is everything, MS launch XB1 $100 more than PS4, Sony will win again but the gap going to be smaller if consoles are the same price day 1..

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I am not alone then at least haha.

Of course they're concerned. It'd be stupid not to be concerned when you lost over 40m units compared to last gen.

They've simply chose to not show it and instead focused on their subscription model. It's a growing market but it'd be ignorant to not notice that those subscriptions are tied to the unit sales even if only partially.

That's true, whatever they are doing seems to be working for them though I suppose.

They didn't. The PS3 and 360 ended up in pretty much a tie- the last numbers were have for either are "about 84 million" for the 360 and "about" 87 million for the PS3.

The PS3 arrived a year later than the 360, but both were discontinued the same year. The PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide every single year they were both on the market, despite launching at a completely absurd price point. Again the PS3 if launched tomorrow at the same price would be $760. There is no one Sony included that could get away with launching a console right now at damned near $800 and go on to sell nearly 90 million of them.

I see, I wasn't aware of any of this, that's pretty incredible in regards to the numbers Sony did with the PS3.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of hardware it's over. With Lockhart dead ps5 has it in the bag. I don't care who has the most subscribers that's its own separate thing in my opinion.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I see, I wasn't aware of any of this, that's pretty incredible in regards to the numbers Sony did with the PS3.

Sony put in some serious work to keep the PS3 viable that generation- tons of revisions to cost cut the system down, a lot of investment in first party software, literally giving away games for free with PS+.

but even with all that, The PS3 would have been a WiiU esque sales disaster had the PS2 not been a complete and total juggernaut in the console space the generation prior. As strong as the Sony brand is now, it was MUCH stronger during the PS2 era.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
They will both be successful, sure, but I don't see a change in the situation in terms of hardware sold.

Sony managed to reinvent God of War, has Last of Us, Horizon, etc. MS is still pushing Halo, a title that has lost relevancy in the MP space. I don't see anything reinvented with Halo, so the same Halo fans will be happy, while I doubt most newcomers will be enticed. I wonder how soon MS can show off actual new big IPs for the studios they bought.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy victory again for Sony.

When, are these game sites going to realize that the world is not America. The Xbox brand is dead in most countries.

There are places in the world that they couldn't give an Xbox console away.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Sony. But the industry is so big everyone can be successful and profitable. Holiday 2020 is going to be insane though. PS5, Nextbox, Switch Pro, and huge games to sell all 3.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
the handheld market entered a SEVERE contraction the following generation. The 3DS didn't come close to the sales of the DS, and the Vita failed compared to the PSP. Sony drastically scaled back support for the Vita when this became apparent.

Wrong, Switch is an hybrid because Nintendo needed a Wii U successor but they couldn't afford another home console only, this is their way to keep a presence in the living room with a successful product.

Much like the PS3 for Sony, 3DS was a flawed product a launch and yet they managed to make it successful anyway.

The home console future was a question mark for Nintendo, not portables, in fact initially they thought about making a 3DS successor for a while then realized they can do that with Switch.

PS Vita was never a success even in its first year, you could tell the whole thing was a wait and see, they invested a lot on the hardware but never on software.

Last edited:

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe MS will convert to a major third party publisher by the end of next gen.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
360 couldn't even maintain their huge advantage last gen at Sony's worst with a year head start, a console that was way easier to develop for,and was way cheaper while having actual exclusives that couldn't be played anywhere else. Scarlet won't have any of those advantages going for them. It would take a huge colossal fuck up from Sony for PS5 not to dominate yet again next-gen.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like Sony will have PS3 generation again, not bad but PS4 levels of awesome.

Microsoft seems to going all out, and they said they want the most powerful console.

I'll get both though, as usual.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is in a good position to dominate again in hardware sales, software sales, and network services revenue, if they can do the following:

- continue to associate the PS brand with the best selling games like COD and GTA (rumored 1-month exclusivity for GTA6 on PS5)
- the next Fortnite and gaming phenomenon will come from third-party, they just need to complement those games with their high-quality first-party content that appeal to the very top Youtube/Twitter influencers

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Wrong, Switch is an hybrid because Nintendo needed a Wii U successor but they couldn't afford another home console only, this is their way to keep a presence in the living room with a successful product.

If Nintendo could have gotten away with releasing another handheld that could reliably sell 100m units or so they would have. They didn't, because the dedicated handheld market was being obliterated by mobile. The GC failing at 20m units or so (and it sold that 20m from 2001-2007, compared to the WiiU selling 13m from 2012-2016ish) didn't cause nintendo to exit the home console space because the GBA and DS provided sufficient revenue to sustain a home console business no matter how bad it was.

That's no longer true, and will become less true as smartphones get cheaper.

The home console future was a question mark for Nintendo, not portables, in fact initially they thought about making a 3DS successor for a while then realized they can do that with Switch.

It's both, but the inevitable erosion of the portable market was the bigger issue. The home console market was and is healthy overall- the right console could succeed easily. The handheld space on the other hand is in a state of freefall and Nintendo has no way to compete with cheap mobile phones.

PS Vita was never a success even in its first year, you could tell the whole thing was a wait and see, they invested a lot on the hardware but never on software.

It was REALLY obvious VERY quickly that there was no real market for the PSVita. the thing was sent to die from the start. The hardware investment was a sunk cost- it was better to release what was developed than not at all, but there is a reason there was no significant software development on that platform. It was DOA and the launch sales numbers show this pretty definitively.

DrFt9AJU4AAKwPZ.jpg

From the PS Vita thread a while ago.

LTD through 2018, Uncharted is barely over 400K. Unit 13 is just over 200k. The Vita was DOA in the west as soon as it hit, and Sony knew this- thus the lack of software support. Smartphones had eaten the market for that kind of system alive.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I agree with all of this. Sony did a VERY good job of building the kind of relationships with third parties, and building the kind of internal studios they needed to get to where they are. This didn't happen overnight, Sony's first party was extremely weak in the PS1/2 era outside of maybe what...Gran Turismo?

Vendor lock in is a thing for both platforms. No one wants to "lose" access to the games and digital content they bought, and both systems are promising drastic improvements to prior generation titles via BC. I don't see ANY significant movement from PS to Xbox or vice versa because of this.

The Xbox isn't going to die. The brand is clearly well liked and profitable, but there is no realistic way that microsoft's gaming revenue exceeds everyone else in a single generation. They don't have the brand strength or marketshare outside of the US to do this, and that's something that must be built over time.
Word

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
One day US media will discover how unpopular Xbox is outside of the US/UK. In Europe and Japan, no matter how poorly PlayStation does, it still outperforms Xbox with ease (See: PS3 vs 360)

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
Agreed. It will be Xbox, PC and whatever other devices they want to appear on.
I remain unconvinced that xcloud will take off anytime soon and I don't believe they will make the type of games that appeal to Sony and Nintendo fans, further more if these gamers look at both xcloud and stadia I think they'll choose stadia, assuming they haven't already committed to a stronger ps now that will come eventually.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think Sony has realized this gen that the most important thing is games games games quality games.Its gonna have plenty of power with ryzen CPU,navi gpu and ssd.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has allowed PS1 games to remain in circulation and be playable for next to nothing on every system up to the PS3 and Vita. You could buy a PS1 game digitally on PSP (75 million units sold), and use that same PS1 title on the PS3 (90m), Vita (15m), and PSTV (negligible). Nintendo did not allow this.

Lol.

Dude. It flopped because Sony put no fucking effort in and pushed out a bad product.

A proper PS1 Classic or PS2 Classic and I would buy it instantly.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Lol.

Dude. It flopped because Sony put no fucking effort in and pushed out a bad product.

A proper PS1 Classic or PS2 Classic and I would buy it instantly.

Who exactly is the market for a PS classic? someone that loves old Sony games but mysteriously never bought any titles digitally and doesn't own a PSP, PS3, or Vita?

That market is tiny as hell.