• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
While Last of Us is a brilliant game, I have a hard time trying to figure out how that game did something new that impacted other games that came after it. I think the Game of the Decade pick should be something that had a profound impact and raised the bar in the industry.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Not mad at the pick.

I was going to say the Uncharted series is definitely Naughty Dog's most influential franchise but I remembered that it debuted in 2007.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I find the whole spiel about how The Last of Us is influential for bringing "maturity" to the games industry particularly hyperbolic and, frankly, entirely unverifiable. That specific writer's line about this is particularly over the top. It just feels like something fans talk about amongst themselves without anyone ever really questioning it.

Which games did The Last of Us really influence? What is it about The Last of Us' "maturity" that's so innovative compared to everything that came before it - including games like Indigo Prophecy, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, Half-Life, Planescape: Torment...?

It's an alright, really well-made AAA game with some poignant moments. In a decade with games like Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and GTA V, though, it wouldn't even come close to the top of my list.

And besides, the decade's still got an entire year left in it.

Could not agree more with this, btw

Sep 21, 2019
Of course it is. Here we are, 6 and a half years later, and nothing else has come close.

TLOU is in a fucking league of its own.

My games of the decade:
1) The Last of Us
2) Dark Souls
3) Skyrim
4) Red Dead Redemption 2
5) The Witcher 3
6) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
7) Bayonetta 2
8) Inside
9) Mass Effect 2
10) Super Mario Galaxy 2

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's certainly a solid AAA game I guess. It's probably not even on my top 100, but I do understand that choice. It has spectacle, the controls feel nice, and the writing is okay most of the time. Even if I think most of the characters are bland and uninteresting, they still managed to make a great ending.

All of their choices are pretty obvious ones though. All of us would have guessed more or less what the top 10 would have been. So, yeah, sure.

EDIT : "counter-cultural" holy cow hahaha
It was exacly everything that every AAA tried to make that year (like Tomb Raider), only made better.
They have every right to choose whatever game they want for "game of the decade".

But "counter-cultural"? Can I laugh out loud?

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn right!

giphy.gif

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
100% agreed! The Last Of Us has impacted me in ways I thought was extremely improbable, in ways I thought I was to old, I've seen and experienced and felt to much to have this type of feeling again. I was clearly wrong.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I did a quick list earlier today and it was one of the top 5 games for me this decade. I couldn't make a decision about the best though. They're all 10s for me.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Remastered
Halo Reach, RDR2, BoTW, GTA V.
Every other Sony AAA game this decade and numerous other non-Sony ones

Prey.

Ehhh... It's good, but Game of the Decade? Nah.

Breath of the Wild.

I don't think any of these games have the total package of 10/10 single player and 10/10 multiplayer like TLoU. I know this forum likes to play alone for some reason but multiplayer is like the most popular and prominent way people experience games so the game of the decade can't be without it.

For some specifics, Halo Reach wasn't even that well-regarded when it came out and I haven't seen a swelling of positivist recently except that PC people can finally play it. It's a good Halo but a letdown after the trilogy.

Rockstar's narratives and characters are great but the gameplay just doesn't line up imo. You can't invest us in this world and then also have us kill hundreds, if not thousands, of civilians, police, and rival gang members. Just how big is the O'Driscoll gang? a million strong? They haven't evolved their mission design and it's hurting the stellar work they are putting into the story, characters, and setting.

Breath of the Wild is missing multiplayer so while it may be a 10/10 game, it is also missing a vital component for game of the decade. You need the complete package. I know this forum doesn't care for MP for some reason but it's a really important aspect of gaming for most people and we shouldn't discount it.

I will say I love Prey though.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Well deserved. An Incredible experience than has stuck with me for more that 6 years now. Cannot wait for Part II!

As someone who thinks Breath of the Wild (a game that I have complicated feelings towards) is going to be at the top of most of these lists, it's nice to see games that I actually think deserve the spot. TLOU isn't my choice (that's either going to Bloodborne or the first season of The Walking Dead) but it's certainly up there!

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Like a lot of others here, I enjoyed it, but it's not my favourite game. It's a respectable choice though - in the 2020's, 30's and maybe even 40's I expect this game will still be remembered when other games I enjoyed more are long forgotten.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some specifics, Halo Reach wasn't even that well-regarded when it came out and I haven't seen a swelling of positivist recently except that PC people can finally play it. It's a good Halo but a letdown after the trilogy.

And critics disagree with that take given that Halo: Reach has a 91 on metacritic for the 360 and an 82 for the PC.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I disagree. I don't think it brought anything new to the table and I found it's mechanics lacking. For me, a game of the decade has to wow me with it's gameplay above all else.

But, they are free to name whichever game they like of course.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The easiest award for me to give out would be TLOU for any "best of" that it qualifies for. I've never felt so comfortable with calling something a "masterpiece."

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's right behind The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 for me but really can't disagree with it being anyone's top for sure.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Blows me away how much love this game gets. Good story and setting but beyond that it did nothing for me. Gameplay felt bland, can't remember anything soundtrack wise.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Simply because the game was too human, didn't rely in shock value and how the relationship between Ellie and Joel is developed was unseen. And that ending? No one expected that. If anything, tlou made people (that are not casual gamers) accept games can deliver a good well written story.
The Walking Dead came the year RIGHT before, lol.
Yeah but it doesn't hold a candle to tlou popularity. Everybody knows tlou.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's not your opinion does not mean it's "baseless" or "empty".

Let the person have their opinion and quit with this nonsense. Stuff like this makes this community look bad.
Not being their opinion isn't what makes an opinion baseless or empty. The argument or criticism proposed by the other opinion is what makes it baseless/empty