• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Not even in your top 100? Dang! You must play a lot of games. Fair enough.

I love it. It's one of if not my favorite game of all time. Great choice but I totally understand if people have other choices. So many great defining games the last decade.

I think I won't try to make a top 100 just because I'm afraid I didn't even play a hundred games this decade... So Perhaps it was an overstatement.
But the game and people who like it won't care. What's important is that this game is important to people, not my opinion on it.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
With the gameplay being as extremely derivative as it is, The Last of Us is an awful, awful choice as Game of the Decade

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
After replaying it last month, super well deserved.

I dare say this game had a bigger impact on me on the last playthrough compared to the first. It's a masterpiece.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
My favourite game of the last decade as well, probably ever. Never been a fan of the Uncharted games, they had awful gameplay but there was nothing I didn't like about TLOU.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption, Sekiro or Red Dead Redemption 2.

How unacceptable, how dare you.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think I won't try to make a top 100 just because I'm afraid I didn't even play a hundred games this decade... So Perhaps it was an overstatement.
But the game and people who like it won't care. What's important is that this game is important to people, not my opinion on it.
No it's cool don't worry. I can understand why people don't like it as much as I do. The controls aren't great and I think people were getting zombied out when it debuted.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I've finished this game 10 times, literally. It wasn't only the story that grabbed me, the gameplay was superb and I'm very excited for Part II, seeing as how they're iterating over an already solid gameplay base. TLoU deserves this, it was and still is a phenomenal title, one we rarely see in the industry.
With the gameplay being as extremely derivative as it is, The Last of Us is an awful, awful choice as Game of the Decade
I can use empty words to convey a baseless opinion too, it's not hard. TLoU delivers on gameplay greatly, I'd even argue that's not up for debate. People not finding its gameplay enjoyable is a different thing, I hardly play some genres (FPSs or shooters like Fortnite), yet I won't deny some of them have excellent gameplay that keeps people hooked.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
That's a pretty good pick. TLoU was the ultimate farewell to the previous generation. In terms of Sony first party games, I think it really unlocked potential for Sony's other studios to focus on delivering an impactful first person story experience. I guess you could say it started off the Sony first party Renaissance.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I find the whole spiel about how The Last of Us is influential for bringing "maturity" to the games industry particularly hyperbolic and, frankly, entirely unverifiable. That specific writer's line about this is particularly over the top. It just feels like something fans talk about amongst themselves without anyone ever really questioning it.

Which games did The Last of Us really influence? What is it about The Last of Us' "maturity" that's so innovative compared to everything that came before it - including games like Indigo Prophecy, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, Half-Life, Planescape: Torment...?

It's an alright, really well-made AAA game with some poignant moments. In a decade with games like Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and GTA V, though, it wouldn't even come close to the top of my list.

And besides, the decade's still got an entire year left in it.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've finished this game 10 times, literally. It wasn't only the story that grabbed me, the gameplay was superb and I'm very excited for Part II, seeing as how they're iterating over an already solid gameplay base. TLoU deserves this, it was and still is a phenomenal title, one we rarely see in the industry.

Yeah, people saying this game is lacking in the gameplay department either parrot other people's talking points or they haven't played the game in a long time. The gameplay and especially the feel of combat is second to none. I can't think of a more satisfying third person game in terms of gunplay and hit response.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I find the whole spiel about how The Last of Us is influential for bringing "maturity" to the games industry particularly hyperbolic and, frankly, entirely unverifiable. That specific writer's line about this is particularly over the top. It just feels like something fans talk about amongst themselves without anyone ever really questioning it.

Which games did The Last of Us really influence? What is it about The Last of Us' "maturity" that's so innovative compared to everything that came before it - including games like Indigo Prophecy, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, Half-Life, Planescape: Torment...?

It's an alright, really well-made AAA game with some poignant moments. In a decade with games like Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and GTA V, though, it wouldn't even come close to the top of my list.

Agree with everything except the very last sentence lol

TLOU story is very well told, but the story itself isn't that unique or groundbreaking

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England

pretty much agree with all of this

(except for the last sentence, but i presume it's now a meme)

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Good choice, honestly. I can't think of another game that elevated the industry more in terms of AAA production value and story.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can see for myself when I finally get to play it this holiday. Witcher 3 has my vote for now

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'd say 100% for being the first game to really push games into the ability to tell serious and compelling stories, one of the first games for me where the emotional resonance of your characters is shown through the performance and not just implied.

Definitely matured a big section of the game industry and how people view games, so for that I can't thank it enough.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
I disagree completely.

Is it a high quality product? Of course

Is it a good game? Yeah again, obvious (although I disliked it)

If those were the only metrics that designated a game to be the Generation, its been surpassed by a number of titles in those areas. Horizion Zero Dawn is an example where the gameplay and quality of the product is IMO significantly more impressive. Zelda:BOTW has taken open ended games and given them notice of the depth and interactivity those games can offer (lightning, rain, physics, etc)

But what impact or influence has it had on the bigger aspects of gaming? Games like COD:MW (2007) defined their generation and influenced games to come till this day. From controls, level design, "edgy" moments and multiplayer, woo.

Other than being a good game, what has it done to deserve this title?

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
I'd say 100% for being the first game to really push games into the ability to tell serious and compelling stories, one of the first games for me where the emotional resonance of your characters is shown through the performance and not just implied.

Definitely matured a big section of the game industry and how people view games, so for that I can't thank it enough.

The Walking Dead came the year RIGHT before, lol.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Great choice. It's on my top 10 all-timers list amongst the likes of Majora's Mask, Bloodborne, Super Mario Galaxy, Skies of Arcadia, and Shadow of the Colossus. Good company to be in.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

I can use empty words to convey a baseless opinion too, it's not hard. TLoU delivers on gameplay greatly, I'd even argue that's not up for debate. People not finding its gameplay enjoyable is a different thing, I hardly play some genres (FPSs or shooters like Fortnite), yet I won't deny some of them have excellent gameplay that keeps people hooked.

Just because it's not your opinion does not mean it's "baseless" or "empty".

Let the person have their opinion and quit with this nonsense. Stuff like this makes this community look bad.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Also we had a thread on their whole list already
People create a different thread to discuss a specific point of an NPD sales release, this isn't any different.
Just because it's not your opinion does not mean it's "baseless."

Let the person have their opinion and quit with this nonsense.
You could actually read my post, I elaborated unlike others who just post a silly rebuttal and never bother explaining.