• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
link
"The Indoctrination Theory is a really interesting theory, but it's entirely created by the fans..."

'We weren't that smart. By all means, make mods and write fanfic about it, and enjoy whatever floats your boat, because it's a cool way to interpret the game. But it wasn't our intention. We didn't write that'

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's been a while since I finished the series and read up on the theory, but I remember thinking it was even dumber than the actual ending tbh.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
If that's the final word from the devs, I'll accept it...

But nobody can tell me the true hero of the game isn't Marauder Shields.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
At least they understand it's brilliant.

Either it was fantastic writing and the IT was intended all along, or they just weren't very good writers. At least now we know for certain.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No AAA game would dare to be subtle with its ending.

It would've been shouted from the rooftops if that was the case.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
BioWare games have such detailed lore that it makes it so easy to create theories that make sense. Dragon Age has a ton of those too.

I think IT is pretty great and I would've loved to see Shepard actually have to fight indoctrination during ME3. There was more than enough information in the trilogy to support the theory.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The dumb thing is they drilled into people's heads that exposure to Reaper tech leads to Indoctrination in three games and the comics, and then proceed to have us control the one character who spent the most time around Indoctrinating Reaper tech that wasn't turned into a Husk.

I mean shit, Shepard was knocked unconscious right next to a beacon that Indoctrinated an entire space station! For hours!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It should be a retcon then, because it's the only way the ending makes sense.

Fans made for you an interpretation of an ending for you that was way more in line with the rest of the trilogy and redeemed an ending no one liked, just use it.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't like indoctrination theory because it is just as destructive to the theme of the game, has nothing to do with the choices you took previously, and just as stupid overall.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed a while ago that the Indoctrination Theory is just that - a theory, but it's interesting to know that the devs love it.

I thought the IT was great and wish that was the writers' intent even though I figured it probably wasn't.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the first draft only writing that went into Mass Effect where you accidentally convince a swath of your playerbase that your main character's been brainwashed into acting against their own will.

"Squall is dead" was something that happened because of someone deliberately looking for it, but Mass Effect 3 landed on the exact descriptor of "oily shadows" that the Rachni Queen spoke about their indoctrination seemingly by accident, and then filled Shepard's dream sequences with them.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The dumb thing is they drilled into people's heads that exposure to Reaper tech leads to Indoctrination in three games and the comics, and then proceed to have us control the one character who spent the most time around Indoctrinating Reaper tech that wasn't turned into a Husk.

I mean shit, Shepard was knocked unconscious right next to a beacon that Indoctrinated an entire space station! For hours!
Saren rode around in a literal reaper for... days? Weeks? Months? And was still mostly cogent. Just twisted af. You could even reach him just by talking to him. Shepard was not the most exposed non-husk.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It's a bad theory that basically exists because people couldn't accept Bioware had written a terrible ending, even though the writing was on the wall ever since ME2. Basically reality caught up with ME fans to the point they went in denial lol.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its the most cliched fanfic trope, "everything is a dream", for example the ff8 squall coma fan theory.
its not that clever but the person that created made a good work to tie dialog and stuff

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a good fan theory... it's like saying that character was deal all along.

Fans wanted an alternate explanation for the nonsense in the ending, even if this one provides no emotional closure to the story.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I believed in this theory back then and it made the ending more palatable.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
its the most cliched fanfic trope, "everything is a dream", for example the ff8 squall coma fan theory.
its not that clever but the person that created made a good work to tie dialog and stuff
The "theory" more about everything after the Harbinger run being psychological manipulation in order to get Shepard to use the Crucible to achieve Reaper victory, not so much that everything was a dream.

And then the faux-DLC would then give you a way to beat the mind games and nuke the Reapers.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saren rode around in a literal reaper for... days? Weeks? Months? And was still mostly cogent. Just twisted af. You could even reach him just by talking to him. Shepard was not the most exposed non-husk.

Mass Effect 1 kinda rolls with different "levels" of Indoctrination. Saren's under their thrall, but he's cognizant and can act independently and is nominally working against their goals by proving the worth of organic life. The idea here is that Saren took a while to turn, and this was done in such a way that he didn't even realize it and nothing about him changed. He still thinks he's acting completely under his own will, but then you see the Salarians he captured and exposed to rapid Indoctrination, and they've become uncontrollably violent. I don't remember if this comes up anywhere else save for Rana Thanoptis, the Asari scientist on Virmire, who's also been under Saren's employ for a long time but seems normal, and then ME3 reveals in a news bulletin she was Indoctrinated all along and killed a bunch of people.

Oh doy the Illusive Man in ME3. You know he's Indoctrinated but he's still acting like himself up until the end.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
It's not really a good fan theory... it's like saying that character was deal all along.

Fans wanted an alternate explanation for the nonsense in the ending, even if this one provides no emotional closure to the story.
One of the main complaints about the ending is that your choices throughout the series weren't taken into account for the ending. Indoctrination Theory takes away all agency from Shepard and the player and makes everything you did even more pointless.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saren is literally a Husk. His final form is even more of a Husk.
EDIT: Spoilering my posts about this because people who haven't played the games may soon what with the remaster coming out.
You ever meet any Husks in game that aren't just charging mindless zombies? Nope. Saren was a walking talking thinking reasoning feeling Turian right up til the moment he puts a gun to his head and pulls the trigger. He wasn't a husk until he was already dead. The sheer amount of Reaper tech in his body, despite his not having completely lost touch with reality, only strengthens my point.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad theory that basically exists because people couldn't accept Bioware had written a terrible ending, even though the writing was on the wall ever since ME2. Basically reality caught up with ME fans to the point they went in denial lol.
It has Darth Jar Jar vibes. Fans twisting themselves into knots to try to explain why a shitty part of the series is secretly good. That being said, I have fun reading these theories and seeing how people try to connect the dots.

Nov 8, 2017
Ah yes the theory about how they had control over your brain but still offered you three choices on a silver platter they didn't need to, directly after they teleported you to the top of a tower they didn't need to, and then one of them was correct (destroy) but they still let you pick that one anyway if you really want to.

As opposed to just, tricking your senses into making you walk off a cliff or whatever. Or making you stay fucking asleep until the reaper forces could come in and kill you.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You ever meet any Husks in game that aren't just charging mindless zombies? Nope. Saren was a walking talking thinking reasoning feeling Turian right up til the moment he puts a gun to his head and pulls the trigger. He wasn't a husk until he was already dead. The sheer amount of Reaper tech in his body, despite his not having completely lost touch with reality, only strengthens my point.
Saren is a Husk, semantics be damned. He's a Husk just like Birkin is a zombie.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Indoctrination isn't just turning living beings into literal mindless husks. There are many cases of the indoctrination being very subtle, because its usefulness is proportionally opposite to the level of control. The more control a Reaper has over its host, the biggest the cognitive damage to the host, thus rendering them less useful.

Which is why Saren isn't a full on husk, Sovereign needed him to still be useful, so Sovereign's indoctrination was more subtle: his beliefs, how he trusted Sovereign, how he thought he had it all under control, it's all part of the indoctrination, indirectly guiding his actions. Which is why he could still be reasoned with, despite leaning heavily towards the goals and beliefs programmed into his mind.

Saren only becomes a husk when Sovereign decides to assume direct control of his body, by which point a sentient Saren was no longer needed.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the main complaints about the ending is that your choices throughout the series weren't taken into account for the ending. Indoctrination Theory takes away all agency from Shepard and the player and makes everything you did even more pointless.

I think the idea is more that they wanted to believe it was all according to Bioware's grand plan.

"See? Indoctrination Theory proves it's a good ending! Shepard was being controlled and had no other options!"

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saren is a Husk, semantics be damned. He's a Husk just like Birkin is a zombie.
The original point was that Shepard MUST have lost their mind because they were so exposed. If your argument is actually that Saren is a husk then his exposure is only the greater for it. Fine, he's a husk. And still not fully indoctrinated. "Shepard was around the tech the most of anybody" isn't true.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Ah yes the theory about how they had control over your brain but still offered you three choices on a silver platter they didn't need to, directly after they teleported you to the top of a tower they didn't need to, and then one of them was correct (destroy) but they still let you pick that one anyway if you really want to.
Ah_yes_reapers.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original point was that Shepard MUST have lost their mind because they were so exposed. If your argument is actually that Saren is a husk then his exposure is only the greater for it. Fine, he's a husk. And still not fully indoctrinated. "Shepard was around the tech the most of anybody" isn't true.

"Full indocrination" doesn't mean gibbering madness, it means the characters are acting against their own will and don't even know it.

Indoctrination Theory isn't real but Saren was straight up slowly manipulated into servitude while believing he was acting according to plan.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The point was not that Shepard lost their mind, but that Shepard was vulnerable to Indoctrination.

The second point was that Shepard was around the tech longer than anyone who wasn't a Husk; and I'm still adamant about Saren being a Husk even though he's not 100% zombified. He's already enthralled by Indoctrination and is only autonomous because he's useful autonomous.

My point stands!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The "theory" more about everything after the Harbinger run being psychological manipulation in order to get Shepard to use the Crucible to achieve Reaper victory, not so much that everything was a dream.

And then the faux-DLC would then give you a way to beat the mind games and nuke the Reapers.
Go online, learn about this trick, wait until the secret ending is downloadable, that would take me out and kill the story momentum lol.