• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
It's about traversal for sure but the full context of how the disparate elements we've seen in prior footage fit together hasn't been shown, likely by design.

I'm certain it's going to be a "oh I get it now" situation when we get our hands on it or it gets detailed previews. Whether people will like it though I have no idea. Launch is going to be wild.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Let me put it this way: I thought the Witcher 3 looked dumb before it came out and it's one of my favorite RPGs of the past decade. So yes, if the game actually manages to be mechanically fun to play I would change my mind. I just don't see that being possible with what we've been shown thus far.
Fair enough - and with that being said, it's probably a great thing that the entire game hasn't been shown thus far. I didn't follow Witcher 3 pre-release and haven't played the game as it's not a genre I'm interested in, but if they showed a lot pre-release which I imagine they did, then it didn't benefit you either way.

In Kojima's case, many people including myself felt burned by MGSV showing waaaaay too much pre-release and then actually playing the game and feeling like "that's it?" So now when it comes to Death Stranding, at least for me, the less they show the better.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The writer didn't see anything that we haven't, and if people are frustrated they can wait till November.
Ok so then back to the point, the game is primarily a walking simulator which is why it will turn people off OR theyre refusing to show more of the actual gameplay which is turning people off who want to be informed. Yes they can wait until the game is out but that does nothing to mitigate the criticisms about how the game is being advertised as it is right now.

Lol there are way too many people on Era who just can't handle the roll out of this game. I'm embarrassed for many of you. Even a couple of the mods here take every chance they can to shit on Kojima and this game. Of course you won't just be walking around for hours. So many gamers have zero patience for anything, and I'm glad that Kojima doesn't give a FUCK about your concerns right now.
Imagine actually praising a company for not allowing consumers to make informed choices.

Moby

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this sounds very interesting, cannot wait to play it. Only Kojima could pull something like this off. My problem is I no longer have a ps4, would love to play on PC but such is life. Really sucks for the people that will miss out on this game.

Deleted member 59401

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts and Threads
"The thing that really stood out to me was just how simple this game is at its core. Death Stranding is a game about walking."

Yikes.

Mah shooting. waaah.

So kojima wasn't trolling or being mysterious, that is the game. Walking in a box of nothing delivering boxes of nothing

Only in the eyes of nothings.

So it's literally a game about fetch quests and activating Ubisoftian waypoints. Fantastic.

Literally.

I mean, that's the problem. MGSV's previews had a lot of explorations of the kinds of dumb shit you could do in gameplay and that extended into the final game by several orders of magnitude. That freedom was what MADE MGSV so damn good in the first place, because the story definitely couldn't hold it up.

By comparison all we've really seen Sam do in gameplay demonstrations for this game is walk around, fall off a cliff, put down a ladder and pee. Oh, and do a dumb QTE to shut up an annoying baby that definitely won't get old the first time it happens.

You're right. Not shooting with a gun, not riding a bike, not using stealth to evade monsters and people, not fighting hand to hand with enemies and trying to escape them, not descending mountains with ropes, not managing stuff like drinking water, sleeping, and weight management, not fighting a huge monster in a boss battle, nope, just walking, fall of cliffs, ladders, and pee.

sigh.... How can this blatant trolling driven by a dislike of someone's character fueled by jealousy of someone's accomplishments be allowed in a forum that supposedly celebrates the medium?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it was a $10 game that was short and to the point. I thoroughly enjoyed Journey because it was unique, beautiful, and didn't overstay its welcome. I think it will be very tough to compare these two games.
The point is not to say that they are the same game. The point is to say that a short, literal description of a game will usually fail at encompassing the true impact of the game.

Deleted member 59401

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I haven't been following Death Stranding at all really, I'm just confident the gameplay loop will be satisfying because it's the one thing Kojima never screws up as a director/hands on producer. Maybe this is the first but his track record is flawless in this area*.

* I'm stretching to give Portable Ops a pass, he fixed it with Peace Walker at least...

Thankfully Kojima had no creative input on Portable Ops, outside of some advice here and there when his team couldn't move forward and finish it.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
i mean, if we want games to be considered art we are going to need more than just games with violence as a selling point in the big budget side of gaming.

There are plenty of games that do so already. Puzzle games, for example. You can create engaging gameplay without violence but also without the game being a walking simulator. I can't be sure because I haven't played the game yet, but it seems like Kojima wanted to make a movie and couldn't come up with an engaging gameplay mechanic to go with it.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Can't wait for the game even more now. How often do we get a triple AAA production whose focus is traversal? I really hope combat/stealth is not a big part of the game tbh, but I get the feeling as the game progresses it will become more action centric

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Ok so then back to the point, the game is primarily a walking simulator which is why it will turn people off OR theyre refusing to show more of the actual gameplay which is turning people off who want to be informed. Yes they can wait until the game is out but that does nothing to mitigate the criticisms about how the game is being advertised as it is right now.
We barley saw anything from GOW and Rdr2 until like 2 months before they launched, there is nothing wrong with Kojima choosing to drip feed us with gameplay snippets.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Imagine actually praising a company for not allowing consumers to make informed choices.

you must be new to kojima games releases

MGSV was announced with a fake game name by a fake game dev studio lmao

"refusing to show more gameplay" is the exact opposite of what you are describing. Theres been like 10+ trailers for the game and were at a point where half of them have show gameplay

Its coming clear that the marketing for the game was to continually get people to ask questions about what it really is. Now that we are getting closer to release media is going to start bringing the articles like this getting to explain it for the people having a hard time understanding....

even then its still getting reduced to a "walking simulator" have any of you played a walking simulator before? lol

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kojima: It's a game about nothing.
Jerry: What's the premise?
Kojima: Nothing happens in the game. You see, it's just like life. You know, you eat, you urinate, you walk
Jerry: Well I don't know about urinating in the game. We didn't discuss the urinating.
Kojima: That's the game!
Jerry: Well, why am I playing a game about nothing?
Kojima: Because my name is on it!

You've always had a pretty bad track record with posting quality, but really, this is what you took from the OP and from all the trailers? That you do nothing in this game and that the only draw is Kojima's name being on the box?

Presumably you think games like What Remains of Edith Finch, Journey, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Firewatch, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture etc are all also just games about doing nothing?

I think the point I'm making is that even walking sims can actually be super engaging dependant on the systems, tools, story, pacing, characters, atmosphere, puzzles, environments, abilities, strategies, discoveries etc. Hence several of them have been so well recieved in the past.

Now I'm not sure if Death Stranding will be for me personally. I'd imagine I'll get somewhat bored of the copious amounts of traversal and exploration the way I did with both BotW and Skyrim, but it's obviously too soon for me to know that yet, especially without having seen or read a single review or played the game myself.

Last edited:

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Kojima: this is a game about love, hope, and connection

Other people: fuck you this sounds boring

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
We barley saw anything from GOW and Rdr2 until like 2 months before they launched, there is nothing wrong with Kojima choosing to drip feed us with gameplay snippets.

The only difference here though is that this is a new IP, and Kojima has often said it's a 'new type of game', so naturally people want more details.
It's not a continuation of a popular series like your other examples.
I think a drip feed of info is fine, but people are starting to get anxious after literal years of drip feed when we are now so close

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I guess it's pretty clear that the gameplay will not be the thing that holds Death Stranding up structurally, then. I kept hoping that there would be some engaging gameplay on display, but this is a game that is, without question, going to be almost entirely defined by its plot, characters, and setting in tandem. If any of those pieces ends up being anything less than great, the entire game will likely fall apart really fast.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
I am attracted to the oddness of this title. A walking simulator with some bog standard open world underpinnings may not sound appealing to the fare I think most people are used to from the triple AAA space, but I think that is what is so attractive about it. Playing Koima's games over the years I know there is going to be some kind of twist to it, some thematic craziness, and some really clever and memorable gameplay. I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt over his body of work.

Though, I really hope he does better with his characterization and treatment of women in his games. Quiet was just plain bad and I do not know which way its going in Death Stranding, but the Mama character trailer was... I don't know. What was the intent with that character and her background? And still mothers? Am I to understand that these are actual women who are brain dead and used as artificial wombs? Did I hear that part of the trailer right? Because that is going way too far if so.

Oct 25, 2017
Once again an oddly large collective of people are incapable of any critical thinking and take everything literally.

And yeah, "walking" generally is the most uninteresting part of any game. But that's only because it's the part of the game that has zero thought or work put into to to make it engaging in the first place. It's not inconceivable that someone could make a game that makes the act of "walking" (though in this case the term "hiking" would fit better) interesting. In theory it should be pretty easy honestly. Just apply the same rules you often apply to other actions like fighting/shooting. Risk/reward, meaningful choices, resource management, dexterity/timing/adaption challenges, etc.

Also, other games already do this so it's not some unheard of thing. It's just rarely applied to realistic, AAA budget games, or rarely all put together in one package. We've all played games where we have to balance while walking across a tightrope or small bridge. We've all played games where we have to slide down hills without bumping into trees and other obstacles. We've all played games where we have to move the analogue stick very slowly to sneak around. We've all played games where ice on the floor makes it easier to slip.

I don't know if this game is gonna be amazing or horrible. The only Kojima game I've played to any great extent was MGSV and half of that was amazing and the other half was horrible. So who freakin knows with this game. But the reactions against it just because of "lol walking??" are pretty ridiculous and show a clear lack of critical thinking skills. And no, I'm not saying "You don't understand his genius!" like I know some of you are going to say I'm saying. I'm saying it is literally not difficult to understand the concept and how it could possible work in an interesting way that could carry a 30 hour game, and I believe most of you understand this and are just being purposefully obtuse, so whatever.

Basically, quit acting like hiking is some inconceivable gameplay concept that couldn't possibly be fun or interesting.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once again an oddly large collective of people are incapable of any critical thinking and take everything literally.

And yeah, "walking" generally is the most uninteresting part of any game. But that's only because it's the part of the game that has zero thought or work put into to to make it engaging in the first place. It's not inconceivable that someone could make a game that makes the act of "walking" (though in this case the term "hiking" would fit better) interesting. In theory it should be pretty easy honestly. Just apply the same rules you often apply to other actions like fighting/shooting. Risk/reward, meaningful choices, resource management, dexterity/timing/adaption challenges, etc.

Also, other games already do this so it's not some unheard of thing. It's just rarely applied to realistic, AAA budget games, or rarely all put together in one package. We've all played games where we have to balance while walking across a tightrope or small bridge. We've all played games where we have to slide down hills without bumping into trees and other obstacles. We've all played games where we have to move the analogue stick very slowly to sneak around. We've all played games where ice on the floor makes it easier to slip.

I don't know if this game is gonna be amazing or horrible. The only Kojima game I've played to any great extent was MGSV and half of that was amazing and the other half was horrible. So who freakin knows with this game. But the reactions against it just because of "lol walking??" are pretty ridiculous and show a clear lack of critical thinking skills. And no, I'm not saying "You don't understand his genius!" like I know some of you are going to say I'm saying. I'm saying it is literally not difficult to understand the concept and how it could possible work in an interesting way that could carry a 30 hour game, and I believe most of you understand this and are just being purposefully obtuse, so whatever.

Basically, quit acting like hiking is some inconceivable gameplay concept that couldn't possibly be fun or interesting.

Good post.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're right. Not shooting with a gun, not riding a bike, not using stealth to evade monsters and people, not fighting hand to hand with enemies and trying to escape them, not descending mountains with ropes, not managing stuff like drinking water, sleeping, and weight management, not fighting a huge monster in a boss battle, nope, just walking, fall of cliffs, ladders, and pee.

sigh.... How can this blatant trolling driven by a dislike of someone's character fueled by jealousy of someone's accomplishments be allowed in a forum that supposedly celebrates the medium?

Jealousy? Did you not see me gushing over how I think MGSV's gameplay mechanics are fantastic? I'm disappointed because this game seems to possess almost none of that.

Also, "managing things like water meters" are a net negative in my mind. Survival mechanics make games worse to me, not better.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
My concern isn't about the gameplay, but the world. So far from what we've seen, while beautiful, the environments look mostly barren with little to nothing sparking an interest of "ooo i want to explore that". Look at the most recent gamescon footage, that particular environment had no landmarks really to pull the player towards them. Hopefully we can see more unique world design soon from the game to ease my doubts.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You've always had a pretty bad track record with posting quality, but really, this is what you took from the OP and from all the trailers? That you do nothing in this game and that the only draw is Kojima's name being on the box?

Presumably you think games like What Remains of Edith Finch, Journey, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Firewatch, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture etc are all also just games about doing nothing?

I think the point I'm making is that even walking sims can actually be super engaging dependant on the systems, tools, story, pacing, characters, atmosphere, puzzles, environments, abilities, strategies, discoveries etc. Hence several of them have been so well recieved in the past.

Now I'm not sure if Death Stranding will be for me personally. I'd imagine I'll get somewhat bored of the copious amounts of traversal and exploration the way I did with both BotW and Skyrim, but it's obviously too soon for me to know that yet, especially without having seen or read a single review or played the game myself.
It's a joke, mate. I was replying to a guy that brought up Seinfeld. It's not that serious.

Deleted member 59401

Banned
Aug 21, 2019

I wish I could give some internet rep.
Negative people generally do not let themselves get to the place that critical thinking is turned on. They dismiss stuff before they reach that place.
Who knows if this game is going to work out? But the notion of "what bo you bo?" and of outright labeling potential gameplay concepts as not possible to be engaging is unacceptable especially in a forum like this that celebrates the medium.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I love traversal in games so a game built around that is always going to get my attention.I'm sure there will be many challenges that present themselves as we make our journey and that's where all the other gameplay elements will come to the fore.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's an order of magnitude of things you can do between "walking around" and "killing shit".

Part of the problem here is that walking around open worlds is always the worst part of open world games. It's fucking dull, and if this is really all there is it's basically just Kojima wasting everyone's time on a dumb metaphor.

Hands down the best part of BotW is traversing/exploring the open world and discovering shit. If this games reaches
a fraction of what that game did with movement and environments (we've already seen stuff with ladders and rappelling, so it's not JUST walking) then I'm in.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The only difference here though is that this is a new IP, and Kojima has often said it's a 'new type of game', so naturally people want more details.
It's not a continuation of a popular series like your other examples.
I think a drip feed of info is fine, but people are starting to get anxious after literal years of drip feed when we are now so close
I like going to a game not knowing everything that it has, sometimes devs just spoil too much unknowingly.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My concern isn't about the gameplay, but the world. So far from what we've seen, while beautiful, the environments look mostly barren with little to nothing sparking an interest of "ooo i want to explore that". Look at the most recent gamescon footage, that particular environment had no landmarks really to pull the player towards them. Hopefully we can see more unique world design soon from the game to ease my doubts.
This is my biggest concern as well. The rest of the game looks pretty awesome to me, but all we've seen are barren landscapes for the most part. There were dilapidated buildings, forests, and some Mars desert looking landscapes so there is hope, but I personally want some more weird and kooky environments.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Most ambient exploration games that have succeeded in my mind did so off of the back of the environments and setpieces. Notable ones being journey and Outer Wilds. That's pretty much what's left to see in the game which won't happen until release.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Nice post. Its basicly this. Most of the gameplay we saw was not just walking by pressing the stick forward. It was about traversing a dificult terrain. We saw Sam fully loaded crossing a ravine while balancing on top of a stairs, we saw him trying to cross a river and slipping being dragged by the current and losing some of his cargo, we saw him rappelling down a hill, and climbing up a hill using the rope. We also saw some other action, stealth, melee, boss fights scenes.

If this is boring to you, thats fine, you dont have to play it. Thers lots of other games that ppl enjoy and its boring to me. But the Death Stranding concept is not one of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, DUH, I knew this was going to be a Post-Apocalyptic Mailman simulator for years, I just wanna Experience the story and see all the crazy Kojima stuff on top :)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The good part about gaming is, as a consumer, you don't have to put down a single dollar until the game is released and you're informed on whether you'd like to make the purchase or not.
Thats true of any product. Doesnt change the fact that people who would like to be informed at release have no way of being such.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's strange that people saying they'll cancel pre-order because it's a walking simulator!
Walking is only a part of this game. Is this a walking simulator to you?!

nq4o_r34h_xxxx.jpg

Asking this forum to read is a bit hard to say the least. They just believe everything in the OP.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018

Now that is a well written post