• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyress8

Avenger
Leaning towards a AAA survival game for me. The sleeping and pissing kind of pushed me towards a survival game.

We also have not seen all the mechanics the game has to offer, but I feel their will be some form of crafting and eating too.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, if we want games to be considered art we are going to need more than just games with violence as a selling point in the big budget side of gaming.
yikes because you dont shooty shooty bang bang every 3 seconds?
People really can't play stuff where they don't kill anything can they?
Not every game has to be constant murder
I'm intrigued as hell in this game but why does anyone that doesn't like the look of the game get characterized as a dudebro COD player? It feels like we're a few steps away from saying "Death Stranding is just too intelligent for you"

Oct 26, 2017
Traveling across the US feels very exciting concidering the vast amount of different terrains. I wonder how it's structred though because surely there will be events that makes the time skip forward, so that you don't actually have to walk the whole distance yourself.
I'm not sure the terrain is even meant to resemble the US, even though the shape of the map does.
Edit: there is an enormous chain of mountains that are where you'd find the Rockies, though.
The Gamescom video has corresponding markers on the local terrain map and the continent map it that imply it's something like 16km across.

Last edited:

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I will bet anything that I will fire a gun more times in this game than I do in a normal playthrough of MGS2. Y'all are weird.

My biggest worry was that it would be narratively incomprehensible or incomplete like MGSV. Looks like that wont be the case.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
"Game is about walking"

ERA: "Oh no the only thing you do is walking!"

What if i told you Breath of the Wild and God Of War are also a games about walking.

Guess this site can only take things literally lmao.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
"The thing that really stood out to me was just how simple this game is at its core. Metal Gear Solid is a game about walking very slowly and silently."

Maybe wait what the actual Gameplay is like.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I'll have to play this game with the same mindset as RDR2. Take it slow. Take in the scenery and the world by watching with patience. The slow pace of these games can be kinda meditative.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"Walking simulators" are one of my favorite genres. Unfortunately is pretty easy to these kind of games to become boring if they are too big or too long, which is exactly what death stranding looks like.
Maybe more than just a focus on walking would be good. Seems like walking is a key focus of the game and really, I don't find interest in moving a control stick around for large periods of time doing very little.
We've clearly seen that traversal involves figuring out how to cross terrain, using gear to overcome obstacles, avoiding enemies and BTs, and cargo management

Are you really just expecting this to be "hold left stick forward" based on the gameplay that's been shown in trailers?

The funny thing is that "walking simulators" is a silly misnomer because the games labeled as such are usually interactive theatre, heavily condensed narrative in a 3D space (ie Tacoma, Firewatch, etc) so the disparaging nickname really has nothing to do with the actual content.

This actually seems like the first game to actually suit that title, since it's actually turning traversal into a simulated gameplay system

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe more than just a focus on walking would be good. Seems like walking is a key focus of the game and really, I don't find interest in moving a control stick around for large periods of time doing very little.

But you can't seriously believe Sony is paying Kojima the big bucks to make a game where you "only" walk around and watch a few cutscenes?

The stuff you're doing while walking around or walking towards will make 99% of the games conent and we've seen nothing outside of the ending of a smal sidequest(fetchquest).

I can break nearly every game down like this.

Breath of the Wild is also only walking around to reach a destination (Zelda). Why is this ok for zelda and not for Death Stranding? Because there's shit to do you say? Well maybe, just maybe, there's stuff to do in Death Stranding aswell... But no, Death Stranding will have nothing to do for you except walking. Just pressing the stick forward for hours with nothing happening.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You could describe Uncharted 4 that way, with walls maybe giving the illusion of that not being the case, but a lot of people think it's great.

I wouldn't write Death Stranding off. There are ways to make a game engaging other than action.

Unfortunately, what we've seen of the story and of Sam so far does not paint the picture of a character who will be engaging to go on that journey with. Uncharted uses levity and character interaction to make the quieter, less combat-filled portions of the games bearable, but a near-mute protagonist wandering alone across a wasteland won't have much of that.

And modern Kojima dialogue is so bloody awful I don't think it would be good if there WAS a lot of character interaction in the overworld.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
There are gameplay mehanichs even on simple terrain in the gamescon gameplay. It's obvious that traversal in Death Stranding it's not simple like other open worlds.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this weren't a Hideo Kojima game and instead some small indie title with sad violin and E M O T I O N A L storytelling half of you dissenters would be wacking your dicks in GOTY anticipation.
its *because* its a Hideo Kojima game everyone convinced it'll be some subversive mad genius GOTY that people will always give the benefit of the doubt, instead of a poorly written walking game about civility and holding hands

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I can never tell if Kojima is a Thomas Pynchon-level lowbrow genius, or if he actually thinks these pun names are good. I'm inclined to say the former, because they routinely make me laugh. Die Hardman is still funny, months after it was revealed.
I wonder if they're less silly if you speak Japanese so the English names are a little less familiar, or if I'm giving him too much credit lol

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
For all of the worrying about spoilers that goes on nowadays, it seems like some people just want this game to be laid out for them with no mystery, or else they are not satisfied.

Edit: Also, I don't think he is saying that all this game entails is walking. Lol. That would be like saying "Basketball is one thing...buckets." Completely ignoring all of the aspects that surround that one goal. Sets, passing, dribbling, time management, fouls, etc.

Last edited:

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
"Death Stranding is a game about walking."

Yep, it's about me walking away from buying it.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
People going to focus on that single word and ignore all the rest again.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any game made by someone of this caliber that isn't just "shoot things" catches my attention. I have enough action games, I'm fine with something new.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Heck, it seems like it's different from most if not all AAA games out there, so that's a plus too.

Is being different for the sake of being different a plus? When AAA games don't satisfy me anymore I switch to A or AA games which are often more innovative. Death Stranding doesn't look like very interesting in terms of gameplay, different or not.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to be a walking postman. People will try to paint it as a "walking sim" but we've already seen that there's more to it than that. And not every open world needs to have points of interest every 5 feet. Sometimes that emptiness in an open world are the best parts of it.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with slow paced media. People are, I believe, failing to make a key distinction between games and films when it comes to the whole "arty stuff doesn't need to be violent" argument though.

Yes, there are plenty of very calm, arty films where very little really happens. They exist to make people think about concepts more than to enthrall and engross in the same way a big budget blockbuster does. HOWEVER, you need to ask yourself, "how long are these films?" because most are 2 hours or less. You sit down, you absorb yourself in them for a couple of hours then you think about them for a bit more. I highly doubt DS is going to be 2 hours long. It's probably going to be at least 25-30 and that is, I would say, a bare minimum. People have talked about beautiful, wonderful games like Journey in this thread. Again, though, that was only around 2-3 hours on a standard playthrough. Does anyone here really think DS is going to be a sub 10 hour experience?

"Walking simulators" can be beautiful and thought provoking pieces of interactive art, but can they really hold people's attention for 30 hours? BOTW was so much more than a walking simulator, and to call it one is to do it a gross injustice. I am still on the fence about DS. Not because I cannot play a game without killing something, but because I am yet to be convinced that the simple act of walking across a wilderness and restoring communications arrays, interspersed with some sneaking and some Kojima style weird shit, is going to be completely engrossing for 25-30 hours+. I would love it to be, but the writing and story being told would need to be absolutely first class for that to happen.

I won't be preordering it because I don't preorder games. I shall, however, be extremely interested in people's opinions of it when they finally get to play the whole thing. I have a feeling it could be extremely divisive.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
User Warned: Platform warring
The hostility this game is getting from some is...weird.I personally think it's a very intriguing game,but need to see more to be entirely convinced

Those with nintendo avatars aren't exactly trying to hide anything. Like samurais going to battle with flags strapped to their back.

My impression of the game is still at one raised eyebrow status. Needs to see more.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm sure the game will be great, but, once again, what a mess the communication is. Between the emphasis on story over gameplay, the embarassing cult of kojima personnality, is it exclusive or not, that's really weird.

And again, I'm sure the game will be good. But I really don't like how they're trying to sell as this ground breaking media defining definitive masterpiece of a visionnary genius.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They should cancel this and just make another shooter. You want games to be art? Well you need to support shit like this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So part of era thinks the man that invented "pacifist military game" won't be able to invent "engaging walking game".
Preposterous.

The only way Kojima could make a game about walking around a dead world interesting is if the walking parts are all automated so I can listen to a podcast or play another game while I wait for the dead air to be finished.