• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Persona has started to go multiplatform with some Steam releases recently, so it's only a matter of time before P5 makes the jump too. So no, there really aren't any exclusive JRPGs for either ecosystem. FFXVI is on PC too.

Nintendo has a couple, though. Disgaea appaears to have gone from PS to Switch as well.
I actually grabbed P4G on Steam when it dropped there. I'm actually invested in both ecosystems, but I was just thinking of the conversation from a broader perspective and while I felt that there wasn't a big JRPG domination anywhere, I wanted to confirm that hunch. It sounds like Switch (in the console realm) is leading that with Xenoblade, Octopath, and Fire Emblem.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Those are huge gets but I don't think it changes much for the current XBOX consumer, like, everyone was going to play TESVI, Fallout 5 and other pre-existing IPs anyway.
Stuff like Avowed and the next InXile game are way more exciting since it wouldn't exist without MS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I actually grabbed P4G on Steam when it dropped there. I'm actually invested in both ecosystems, but I was just thinking of the conversation from a broader perspective and while I felt that there wasn't a big JRPG domination anywhere, I wanted to confirm that hunch. It sounds like Switch (in the console realm) is leading that with Xenoblade, Octopath, and Fire Emblem.

Pretty much. Switch is the only platform that seems to have the Japanese market penetration to justify exclusive Japanese RPGs.

And let's be real, the JRPG genre is basically bleeding out on the HD Twins. There's very little left unless you want to play a Tales game every couple of years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair - and no PC option as a result too reckon? The digital story is cheaper but yeah, some real drawbacks for some.

Getting my PC to a point where it could play recent games would basically necessitate completely starting over with an entirely new machine. Just not really financially smart during a pandemic.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Pretty much. Switch is the only platform that seems to have the Japanese market penetration to justify exclusive Japanese RPGs.

And let's be real, the JRPG genre is basically bleeding out on the HD Twins. There's very little left unless you want to play a Tales game every couple of years.
...yup. Which is pretty disappointing. And I don't care really care for people trying to convince that the modern, amorphous definition of an "RPG" justifies calling certain games "JRPGs" because they're made in Japan and also feature skill trees and the ability to make a "class" or "build" of sorts. Like I want a true JRPG, and you know what I mean by that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
...yup. Which is pretty disappointing. And I don't care really care for people trying to convince that the modern, amorphous definition of an "RPG" justifies calling certain games "JRPGs" because they're made in Japan and also feature skill trees and the ability to make a "class" or "build" of sorts. Like I want a true JRPG, and you know what I mean by that.

Oh well. Just one more reason I'm running completely empty on interest in next-gen.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What becomes of Avowed? Can Avowed and Elder Scrolls 6 happily coexist?

I don't see why not.

Long AAA RPGs with alot of content, and then DLC expansions make a lot of sense for Game Pass. Drop Avowed one year, Fable another year, Starfield another year, Outer Worlds 2 another year, Elder Scrolls 6 another year, whatever inXile is working on another year, and Fallout 5 another year.

Ultimately Microsoft is going for engagement - and I would think a big WRPG each year would be amazing.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It would be great to see someone with deep pockets funding more WRPGs - so long as they're actually good games. If it's more like Fallout 4, The Outer Worlds, and PoE 2 I will have a really hard time getting excited about the lineup. Each of them held some promise but none came close to living up to their potential. Getting the best out of a studio is not easy, and it's something Microsoft needs to demonstrate they have a knack for. If that happens and it all comes together? Nirvana.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What I mean is that Sony can functionally achieve exclusivity by doing deals for every game of their choosing. It would be cheaper, Square is willing to do it, and by the time that title drops on Xbox, the vast majority have already played it. No sense in spending an absurd amount on Square when the desired result is achieved by a different avenue.

Microsoft will never buy Square. I keep reading how hard it is to take over a company in Japan, and I'm pretty sure the rumored first attempt to buy Square went sideways. Doubt both sides come to the table for that purpose again.

I disagree. Timed exclusivity is very different from complete exclusivity. Not many people are going buy an extra console or switch to the other side just to play it maybe 6-12 months earlier, especially when there is so much game overlap between PlayStation and Xbox.

Besides, later releases (on the other console) are usually a lot better because by then a lot of bugs are fixed, extra things added, and they are usually released as complete editions with DLC included. See FFXII:ZA and DQXI.

Rather than just timed exclusives, it's console/complete exlcusives that will get people to buy your machine and stay loyal to the brand. People bought the PS4 to play games like God of War and Bloodborne which aren't even available on PC. Timed exclusives only give one company a slight edge over the other because most consumers aren't going to shell out $69.99 on a Day 1 release on every game they own anyway. If Sony aren't cautious and Microsoft snaps up a few more big Japanese companies, Sony will definitely be in trouble. Whether that be Sony buy Square outright to create some kind of long-term exclusivity deal I don't know, but Microsoft really dropped the bomb here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the new Fable game is good, it's a franchise I've loved since the start and deserves a second chance. The series kind of went dormant after a weak/flawed bit still enjoyable Fable 3 and a disappointing Kinect game. Was honestly looking forward to Fable legends but it was cancelled.

Will be interesting to see MS's output of RPG's going forward.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Obsidian is going to have more freedom in their design now, because the reveal screamed "Elder Scrolls Killer." Maybe now they pivot a little to something more distinct.
I think it depends on what Starfield looks like, but I think BGS is moving in a direction towards simulation while Obsidian is focused on character interactions, writing, and quest design.

I vastly prefer how Obsidian approaches things, and we'll have to see if BGS addresses any of the F4 criticism in their next games.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for Kotor 3

SilentVioletFruitbat-size_restricted.gif

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
We're headed to an ultimate RPG showdown - Sony with JRPGs on lockdown, and Microsoft the official home for WRPGs. The potential exclusivity of games like Elder Scrolls VI sucks for PS5 owners, but the way this shakes up the console market will be interesting to say the least.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As an RPG-first gamer this shit really hurts. I can't justify two consoles from a financial perspective OR a "space in my fucking house" perspective, and I also can't just throw away all the money I invested in PS4 games and switch ecosystems. And the JRPG side of things is almost completely dead at this point.

Oh well. Really starting to think this gen is just where I get off for good.

Can't you just keep your PS4 and buy an Xbox? It sounds like that should cover most of your bases. PC would be ideal but it doesn't seem like you're interested in that.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I was already thinking of getting an XSX down the road, now I definitely am. Like 2-3 years out, not any time soon unless some games appear out of nowhere before that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you just keep your PS4 and buy an Xbox? It sounds like that should cover most of your bases. PC would be ideal but it doesn't seem like you're interested in that.

Given the amount of catastrophic noise my PS4 makes trying to do basically anything, it's not long for this world. If it lasts until Christmas I'll be amazed.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean even before the Bethesda acquisition they were in a great position for western RPGs. Part of the reason I wanted to get a Series X. Now with Bethesda it's kind of a no brained for fans of that genre.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
Japanese cartoons rpgs on Sony systems isn't that bad there's a lot of gamers who prefer rpgs Japanese style

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Given the amount of catastrophic noise my PS4 makes trying to do basically anything, it's not long for this world. If it lasts until Christmas I'll be amazed.

You can always get a new one down the line if it breaks, it's not like they'll stop making them. You've expressed your dissatisfaction at Sony's first-party output so many times, it seems like you should change something if you're not happy with it. It is very clear by your posts that you don't enjoy the current situation and gaming should be bringing you joy. So shake things up. Try to focus on what you do enjoy and start from there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can always get a new one down the line if it breaks, it's not like they'll stop making them. You've expressed your dissatisfaction at Sony's first-party output so many times, it seems like you should change something if you're not happy with it. It is very clear by your posts that you don't enjoy the current situation and gaming should be bringing you joy. So shake things up. Try to focus on what you do enjoy and start from there.

Provided this quarantine ever ends, i'll probably just quit gaming entirely and get a hobby that doesn't make me so miserable. I'm not paying $500 to throw away my entire PS4 game library and lose access to my FFXIV account.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
Problem is most of these JRPG are generic anime style games which put off a lot of Westerners.
Yeah that's right to more than not, in my view it would be to "reborn" go for megaton like going on a square-enix dormant franchises reviving spree, and use the more obscure one to reshape better to western.
but I'm talking from the ass, I don't know what "reshape" would be needed

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
potential is there definitely. i'm skeptical but there's massive potential for some amazing things to come out on xbox

microsoft has to make at least one ARPG from their list of studios now. can't all just be CRPGs/WRPGs

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Provided this quarantine ever ends, i'll probably just quit gaming entirely and get a hobby that doesn't make me so miserable. I'm not paying $500 to throw away my entire PS4 game library and lose access to my FFXIV account.

I wish you the best of luck in finding something else that makes you happy. Gaming should be a fun hobby but the business side of it is anything but.