• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 15, 2019
I'm surprised just how many people are saying the community is incredibly toxic. Maybe it's just a console thing but on PC it seems pretty normal, get the occasional toxic player but most matches are fine. If you can get a group of friends to play together regularly you don't have to deal with pubbies on your team.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
My friends and I have played fairly regularly for the last few years, and we are all amazed at how the game just keeps getting better and better.

we're usually a complete team, so don't deal with the bullshit, but it's out there and drags the community down.

multiple times a night, we'll see teams self destruct with team kills and just leave us hanging

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised just how many people are saying the community is incredibly toxic. Maybe it's just a console thing but on PC it seems pretty normal, get the occasional toxic player but most matches are fine. If you can get a group of friends to play together regularly you don't have to deal with pubbies on your team.

Yeah I don't know about NA servers or lower ranks but EU servers at platinum rank are chill and helpful most of the time. I made many friends from this game.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy Siege but I hate that they sell the Operators. Have a really hard time wanting to invest in competitive games that monetize non-cosmetic content (this, League, Apex Legends, modern fighting games).

Also, I'd argue CS:GO had the bigger turn around, going from being less popular than its also relatively unpopular successor, CS:Source, to being the biggest FPS in the world.

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoy Siege but I hate that they sell the Operators. Have a really hard time wanting to invest in competitive games that monetize non-cosmetic content (this, League, Apex Legends, modern fighting games).
It really doesn't take that much grinding to unlock the operators for free. I know people who play on multiple accounts with all the operators, without having paid an extra dime. Realistically you can't master an operator in the time it takes to unlock the next one.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How bad is PS4 unranked? Want to give it a try but no way in hell do I want to go back to another Dota community.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
seeing all the praise Siege has gotten makes me regret not diving into it in the past. Feel I'd be too late to the party

Oct 26, 2017
I knew this game was gonna be something special when it was first announced, I'm glad it was able to capitalize on its potential

Although some of the skins suck

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I don't like the premise of the game that much, played it at release for some 50 odd hours, returned to it years after only to drop it after three games, but I see why people like it and you gotta leave it to Ubisoft for their ongoing support.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
The community is so fucking bad though. Like, a special kind of septic.
It just feels that bad because of the griefing. I think if you gave something like the CoD community friendly fire and ways to destroy friendly gadgets, people can see how bad it can get. Nevermind all of the racial/homophobic slurs thrown around in that game.

One thing that can definitely be said is that R6 Ranked lobbies on console are a no man's land for legitimate players. The playlist is infested with MKB adapters and its to the point where legitimate players can't even get to diamond without it. Sadly, Ubisoft can't do anything about that and the discussion to have more in place to deny these adapters falls on Sony/MS.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Lots of people saying it's the best multi-player game of the generation - can anyone explain what makes it so good? I haven't played it, or even seen it being played. Is it a mp game I can play casually?

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
+1 to the people who said it has a toxic community. The few times I tried playing were absolutely miserable, moreso than any other multiplayer game I've ever played. The game seemed fun though

Thicc Enigma

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
Fuck yes.

1.2k hours on PC
300 hours on Xbox

My fav multiplayer game right next to Socom 2.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people saying it's the best multi-player game of the generation - can anyone explain what makes it so good? I haven't played it, or even seen it being played. Is it a mp game I can play casually?
There's a gamespot review written by someone with 850 hours in the game in the OP, that might be a good place to start

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
The turnaround from launch has been phenomenal. I've stopped playing it in the last year or so, but it's still my favourite MP this gen.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Rainbow 6 when I played but you definitely need a squad and can't solo. Even then, there's so much salt.

Ubisoft doesn't get enough credit for the way they stick with their games
100%....but on the other hand, why is it released so poorly every time that it needs to be heavily fixed?

Honestly, casually solo kinda sucks. It's a ton like Overwatch where if you aren't picking a "useful" character, or don't know what you are doing, or do your own thing, It can be frustrating for other users and vice versa if you see a guy on your team who wants to do his own thing (cause you could get stomped)

That being said its pretty unique in that the time to kill is so low.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. But for newbies seeing all the operators available and some of the map knowledge needed is hella intimidating.

Game's toxic playerbase is no more toxic than any other popular shooter but a shit experience in Siege is amplified by things such as team kills and vote kicks.

*Been playing since Black Ice and originally wrote the game off in its closed beta.

EDIT: Recommend new players start off playing with a group or more experienced friends.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
This game is super fun but the learning curve is very steep. I've been playing this game for 20 hours and still have no idea what I'm doing most of the time.

I've been playing for over 1000 hours and I still don't have any idea what I'm doing half of the time :D

Easily one of the best games ever made.

Pro-tip for people intimidated by the steep learning curve and/or the admittedly-on-occasion awful playerbase: play with friends. Going solo has never been fun in Siege - I never solo queue - but having a full squad of people in discord makes it such a fulfilling experience.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd say it's more of an 8.5 overall. It's a fun series but still gets boring after 2 months or so of playing. It doesn't have the same constant pull some other competitive series always had.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I still play it on PC pretty often and i also play Area F2 on iPhone, but this game needs a sequel now, with operators reboot and new engine with RTX support, the new generation seems like a great opportunity for that

Oct 20, 2018
I've been playing since it came out on PS4. The only multiplayer game that I have played consistently besides Counter Strike. I love the game, but I sometimes have to leave for five months because of how toxic the players are. Like they are vindictive on casual. They'll kill you fora better score, for picking their fave operator, hell they'll kill you for losing a round.

There is so much more than just those examples, including the indulgence of adolescent racism. You just have kids saying some insanely disgusting racist things. I just don't know sometimes on how to get past these things to not have to quit for extended periods of time.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's more of an 8.5 overall. It's a fun series but still gets boring after 2 months or so of playing. It doesn't have the same constant pull some other competitive series always had.
counterpoint: siege is the ONLY game that I don't get bored of. The onyl reason I stop playing at any time is variety or just tilt where you need a week off

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
You just get one fragile life and what you do matters. No round is ever the same - just so many ways to approach each situation. Fast rounds so you need to make quick decisions but you can't just rush in. Pulling off something clutch releases more endorphins than any other game I've ever played.

Imo you can't really play it casually.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Siege is seen as a huge comeback story where persistent development turns the game around over the months and years but I don't really agree*. I think the game has remained pretty much the same since early alpha and beta tests. There's obviously way more content (to its detriment one might say) and less bugs but the core gameplay is pretty much the same as it ever was. Is this just a case of people actually giving it a try instead of ignoring it at launch?

*Obviously it has completely turned around in terms of success.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Easily the best MP game on console since the mid 2000's. It's such a shame that it's so consistently ruined by smurfs and KBM users.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In its 5th year and still has zero competition as there's no other game like it.
Easily my game of the generation.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I played the beta I think and liked it a bunch but didn't love it. Then played it about two years ago and loved it, but honestly didn't have the time or heart to try become great at it.

I'm super happy the game is at such a great state for those who do love it, especially after the backlash, probably not the right word, before release about it being multiplayer only and not being Patriots.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved Siege even just a few months into its lifecycle. I can't remember the name of the update but I remember it was the one that added the Frozen Ship map. I played from 2 weeks after launch until about a month after that Frozen Ship map came out and it was a great game. Back then, the community was pretty friendly on PSN too and it's the only game that I have felt comfortable and welcome using a microphone in all generation long (admittedly the only other one I tried was Overwatch but that got really nasty, really fast), but I hear that's had its massive up and downs since.

I keep wondering if I should rebuy the game on Xbox since that's kind of where I've landed as primary platform as this generation closes up. I just keep getting worried that I'm far too behind on operator unlocks and operator knowledge, nevermind the type of precision the game tends to demand. Still, that early time was fantastic, and I easily count it as one of the best FPS games this generation — in a generation chock-full of fantastic FPS releases.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just as it gets added to PS Now. Great.

Does the game have a similar feel to the original Rainbow Six on PC?

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The community is so toxic towards new players, I've never experienced anything like it. Like I bought the game last week and I'm actively avoiding it due to the ridiculous amount of harassment I experienced 80% of games.

Oct 27, 2017
What I would like to know is how the newcomer experience is with all the new operators. Even with the price reductions it must take ages to unlock new operators, making the whole variety kind of moot if you can't use them.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game, but I'm not sure I can abide a game with such widespread problems around: Toxicity, team Killing, throwing, quitting and smurfing being a '10'. It suffers from those issues worse than any game I've ever played and their countermeasures are so poor.

The game also just doesn't feel that polished still. The monetisation systems are a clusterfuck and, operators aside, aren't remotely interesting. Content has been added too slowly and too much of it isn't featured in Ranked. It feels like a game that Ubisoft don't invest in that much despite it presumably being one of if not their most profitable games ever. I can't even imagine how good the game could be if it were worked on by more than a skeleton crew.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
If only Uplay servers wouldnt keep being bad and multiple bugs stay unfixed.

Cant count the amount of times I and a few friends had server problems or sound bugs or drones falling under the map. Multiple times the same behaviour for different people too.

If it works, its fun.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What I would like to know is how the newcomer experience is with all the new operators. Even with the price reductions it must take ages to unlock new operators, making the whole variety kind of moot if you can't use them.
It really doesn't take that long to unlock ops, and that's only the newcomer experience if you literally buy the 7 dollar version of the game- if you spend even 9.90 you get the deluxe edition or something which comes with 20% of the DLC ops.

As fun as new ops are, Siege is a game with so much variety in the simple gameplay mechanics that you will never run out of compelling gameplay experiences with your current ones before you've unlocked more.
It's a great game, but I'm not sure I can abide a game with such widespread problems around: Toxicity, team Killing, throwing, quitting and smurfing being a '10'. It suffers from those issues worse than any game I've ever played and their countermeasures are so poor.

The game also just doesn't feel that polished still. The monetisation systems are a clusterfuck and, operators aside, aren't remotely interesting. Content has been added too slowly and too much of it isn't featured in Ranked. It feels like a game that Ubisoft don't invest in that much despite it presumably being one of if not their most profitable games ever. I can't even imagine how good the game could be if it were worked on by more than a skeleton crew.
Most of the things you just mentioned literally HAVE been dealt with. There's no way to remove toxicity from online games completely, but Siege does a better job of it than any other online game I've played. No, that doesn't mean I think it's close to perfect, but for example team killing is pretty fucking uncommon since they put in reverse friendly fire,and that was a year ago. It has automatic language bans, which you can get past but they still exist, it doesn't even have vote kicking in any mode but quick play, and similarly you basically never encounter people throwing or quitting in ranked or unranked modes. In QP yeah people leave, but they get replaced who cares, quick play is for quick giggles.

If you think the stuff you can buy isn't interesting...don't buy it? It's a strength of the game that you don't need to spend real money on that shit, MOSt of the cosmetics you can buy with in game currency too. Not sure in what world you think siege us run by a skeleton crew lol. They change the UI/UX stuff every year very significantly and it has the most new actual gameplay affecting shit of any MP shooter on a consistent basis imo. And that's all free.

The biggestissue with siege is when it has bugs, which was mentioned in the review. Shit sucks, but they HAVE gotten better at least at just turning Clash off when it happens, for instance. It's a complicated game, bugs will happen.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I just played one free weekend trial. I enjoyed the game but still not buy it. Because any of my friends have it.

Maybe they will do a R6S part 2 on next gen console ?

Oct 29, 2017
The community is so toxic towards new players, I've never experienced anything like it. Like I bought the game last week and I'm actively avoiding it due to the ridiculous amount of harassment I experienced 80% of games.

I just got back into it this year on XB after playing for almost a year at launch on PS4, and despite that I lean towards online multiplayer when I actually come across free time, this game somehow triggers hate from others that I personally dont get from any other game. Half the mail I have gotten this gen has been from R6. And for the most part, I know what to do on offense and defense.

Another thing - griefers. Some days are better than others, but if I make it through 4-5 games without a teammate very purposely killing me, its a wonderful day.

The game itself though - one of the best this gen, IMO. Ubi has supported it like crazy. I recently also redipped my toes into For Honor, and they have done a lot there as well.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I just played one free weekend trial. I enjoyed the game but still not buy it. Because any of my friends have it.

Maybe they will do a R6S part 2 on next gen console ?

Yeah I'm very intrigued by that question. From what they've said I think it's pretty clear there won't be a sequel in the classic sense for a long time, but you've got to imagine they'd want to give it a next-gen overhaul at some point, perhaps like they are with Overwatch 2. R6S isn't a graphically impressive game by any means at this stage.