• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's a massive BOTW knockoff. Ubisoft don't have a creative bone in their collective body.

But lets not pretend that BOTW isn't itself, a ripoff of Ubisoft's Open World Formula in many ways.

BOTW is not even really a Zelda game. It's basically Assassin's Creed and Minecraft slammed together.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Immortals' combat reminds me of AC Odyssey's combat.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
From make exactly one type of game at the expense of everything else.

Nintendo immediately started making the sequel to BOTW on the engine of BOTW after finishing BOTW, like you're asking for. It takes longer than Fromsoft did because we're a decade removed from Demon souls, development time requirements since have increased massively, and the Fromsoft games are of a much smaller scale than BOTW to the point where they're not really comparable.

It's not heretical, it's just dumb to ignore the realities of how long game development takes, and I'm good with pointing that out to you, thanks.

It really pains you that someone could have a different opinion than you on Nintendo.
From is much smaller than Nintendo. They have the resources to do soemthing else than Zelda, they just decide not to. Now, be kind and block me, it'll help you not veering towards being insulting.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy, between Immortals and Genshin Impact, two games have blatantly copied Breath of the Wild.

I know some older Nintendo games had their source code leaked, but did Breath of the Wild?

(Genshin Zelda comparison)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy, between Immortals and Genshin Impact, two games have blatantly copied Breath of the Wild.

I know some older Nintendo games had their source code leaked, but did Breath of the Wild?

(Genshin Zelda comparison)

That leak was like 4 months ago lol.

Devs don't use source code to imitate mechanics anyway.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That leak was like 4 months ago lol.

Devs don't use source code to imitate mechanics anyway.
I mean it came out then, but I wasn't sure if the actual leak was long before that. Yeah it's a bit conspiratorial to say they used the source code, but these are two of the most similar looking games to an existing game, and it's the same game they are similar to, my brain goes there.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
It really pains you that someone could have a different opinion than you on Nintendo.
From is much smaller than Nintendo. They have the resources to do soemthing else than Zelda, they just decide not to. Now, be kind and block me, it'll help you not veering towards being insulting.
As someone who used to be a dev, you're spouting some really bad takes.

Size has nothing to do with speed of development. Ubisoft has teams that number well over 1000 devs (much larger than any Nintendo dev team) and it still takes them well over 3 years to make games. I'd suggest looking into The Mythical Man Month to see why man-hours/throwing bodies at the problem is not the solution that you implied it is.

Additionally, having an engine doesn't mean that you can magically create a similarly good game of similar scope in 3 years. There are any number of reasons that games can take longer, it's not about cranking them out at some arbitrary year mark.

If they're making a new IP to "scratch that itch", it can easily take a long time to develop. Similarly, whatever BotW 2 is, I suspect that they're playing around with adding expanded elements to the systems already in play in the OG game. Everything they add or tweak will need to be tested to make sure it plays nice. The QA and bug fixes alone will likely be massive for everything they change and can easily eat into months and months of dev time.

TL;dr, this isn't about Nintendo somehow failing. It's about your expectations of game dev being stilted.

Oct 12, 2020
Stop victimizing yourself, because somebody tries to discuses with you, why your criticism isn't convincing.
Nintendo does other stuff and BotW is still selling extremely well. Their so point in cannibalise them self with a similar Open-World-Game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the video is just pointing out similarities, it doesn't say who invented what.

having said that, it's super obviously a shameless knock off of botw. as in, the game would be wildly different in most aspects if botw wasn't a thing.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Also comparison shows how smooth and clean Immortal looks compared to BOTW, its not even funny.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
To bad it misses the mark on what makes BOTW so great. Exploration and a sense of adventure. Instead it clutters everything with the usual ubisoft game systems making it yet another ubi checklist game. It's, of course, bloated as well.
....you haven't played the game, have you? I'm currently playing it and I'm getting the same exact vibes I got from BOTW in terms of exploration.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Ah, yes, the map reveal tower. The classic trope that BOTW created
I mean the way BOTW uses the tower is fundamentally different than an AC etc. by the nature that it's using the literal elevation to reveal spots on the terrain based on what you can see. It's not dotting your map with a multitude of icons. Otherwise, the horizon-line in most open world adventure games is utterly meaningless.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Honestly, I couldn't care less that this is a BOTW-clone (and it's not really a clone). BOTW is a damn good game. This is a damn good game. Both have their own strengths. So who gives a damn?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A-fucking-men. 🙌🏻
I remember watching Jim Sterlings BOTW video back when it released, and all the hate he got for his opinion. When I got a Switch for the kids last year and played it myself I totally understood him lol.

Also, all the outrage about a game copying another game. What a totally new concept :)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The entire chemistry system is hugely inspired by Minecraft; as is the crafting system (like it is in literally every single modern AAA game).

Fujibayashi (The director of Breath of the Wild) isn't shy about the Minecraft inspiration either...

Sure, I've read this interview before and I can't deny that there are areas of the game which share similar design principles, especially when it comes to player experimentation. That said, if someone who was a Minecraft fan asked me what BOTW was like because they wanted to try it, and I told them it's basically "Assassin's Creed and Minecraft", they'd probably end up being disappointed lol

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Breaking news: Games take inspiration and ideas from other successful games.

I'm personally glad they're taking inspiration from one of my favorite games of all time. It means more of the stuff I loved, so I'm in.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
BOTW copies Ubisoft open world formula = Revolutionary!

Ubisoft copies BOTW elements = Errrgh gross rip off!

Yeah that tracks.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's undeniable that Breath of the Wild took inspiration from contemporary open world games, including Ubisoft ones.

But if you're trying to equate that with how blatantly Immortals templates itself on Breath of the Wild you're being ridiculous.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's easy to cherry pick segments from similar games and make it look the same.

Fenx seems to be doing its own thing in lots of other areas as well. I mean, it's definitely heavily inspired by BotW but I don't really see that as a bad thing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I don't plan to play Immortal (ugly cartoon art style) but out of curiosity, does it have a sim' layer like botw (chemistry engine and all that)?

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
The animation of the camera when it spins behind the character, someone for sure sat down and analysed BOTW's behaviour frame by frame. The game's clearly very "inspired" but when BOTW came out there was a ton of talk about how it was going to be a blueprint for open world games going forward. It isn't surprising that 3 years later we're seeing the fruits of that.

Personally I'd like to see some mix between this style and that of Skyrim, with proper quest lines and having NPCs be more of a mechanic. But I definitely welcome more games in the mould of BOTW, me and my wife are replaying it and it's just so good, maybe my favourite game of all time.

Apr 9, 2019
The fact that we've got two "BotW-killers" out this year, but BotW still remains the point of comparison speaks volumes =P .

Something that catches my eye with both Genshin and Immortals is how much they copy the superficial elements of BotW, which makes me doubt how much they've understood the subtle ways that make BotW great.

On top of that, despite the other two copying so many visual cues *and* their higher rendering budgets, BotW looks like a piece of art and the others... don't.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting it to be way more similar to Assassin's Creed with a light coating of BotW, but man. This is BotW if BotW recieved a huge QoL update. Not saying it's a better game, but it really improves the formula in my opinion. I have a harder time putting this down than I did with BotW.

I thnk that it will become more boring, earlier
exactly because of those reasons

setting apart the bland character design too

but I'm liking it. simply, BOTW was a gen-defining game to me, this is fun to play
I have reviewed BotW very very high, in 2017
Fenyx on Switch to me is a 7.5/8 game (depending on how repetitive and oring will be in the later parts of the game)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thnk that it will become more boring, earlier
exactly because of those reasons

setting apart the bland character design too

but I'm liking it. simply, BOTW was a gen-defining game to me, this is fun to play
I have reviewed BotW very very high, in 2017
Fenyx on Switch to me is a 7.5/8 game (depending on how repetitive and oring will be in the later parts of the game)

7.5/8 is a great score, weird scale though.😉

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
....you haven't played the game, have you? I'm currently playing it and I'm getting the same exact vibes I got from BOTW in terms of exploration.

FFS, stop with these bullshit comments please. I've already explained why the exploration does does not really work for me. And I'm playing the game at this very moment thank you very much.

And anyone suggesting Zelda ripped of the ubisoft open world formula is baffling to me. Firstly, ubisoft did not invent open worlds, and secondly it's whats sets it apart from ubisoft games that makes it great. Even the towers works in a different and meaningful way.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BOTW copies Ubisoft open world formula = Revolutionary!

Ubisoft copies BOTW elements = Errrgh gross rip off!

Yeah that tracks.
there's a difference tho. i don't remember videos coming out after botw comparing the game to ubisoft games where it almost looks identical in animations and mechanics.
of course botw takes a lot from the ubi open-world formula (and other open-world games) but the comparison between immortals and genshin with botw is on another level and shows clearly that they set out to make a game that looks like and lifts as much as possible from botw.

Something that catches my eye with both Genshin and Immortals is how much they copy the superficial elements of BotW, which makes me doubt how much they've understood the subtle ways that make BotW great.
well said. i also think that's because copying the game on a deeper level isn't as easy as it sounds.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I've always wanted to play BOTW but didn't want to buy a Switch... and now I can it seems. Thanks Ubisoft.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
7.5/8 is a great score, weird scale though.😉

wait, I've never said Fenyx is a bad game
like, at all

it is very derivative, but starting from a great formula (the BotW one), that it isn't yet saturated AT ALL
it is fresh as new IP, compared to the aesthetich of Assassins creed, for example
it has humor, setting it apart from many serious open-world games
it has a fun combat system
it isn't bloated with hundreds of repetitive hours as many Ubisoft open world game neither

it simply is vastly inferior to BotW, in terms of artistic direction, soft and poetic OST, physic engine, almost-infinite hidden surprises, greatly fine-tuned animations

BotW was a game SO DEEP and fine tuned in so many aspects of its world (litle secrets, wonderful discoveries, litle touches, incredible physic engine) that is still worth to be played nowadays, after so many years and hundreds of meaninfgul hours of gameplay

Fenyx is a good game.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I get the similarities but after playing Fenyx for 4-5 hours yesterday I can say I don't really feel like it's a knockoff and it's actually one of the better Ubisoft games in a good while IMO. Fenyx is just a very fun game to enjoy and explore.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wait, I've never said Fenyx is a bad game
like, at all

it is very derivative, but starting from a great formula (the BotW one), that it isn't yet saturated AT ALL
it is fresh as new IP, compared to the aesthetich of Assassins creed, for example
it has humor, setting it apart from many serious open-world games
it has a fun combat system
it isn't bloated with hundreds of repetitive hours as many Ubisoft open world game neither

it simply is vastly inferior to BotW, in terms of artistic direction, soft and poetic OST, physic engine, almost-infinite hidden surprises, greatly fine-tuned animations

BotW was a game SO DEEP and fine tuned in so many aspects of its world (litle secrets, wonderful discoveries, litle touches, incredible physic engine) that is still worth to be played nowadays, after so many years and hundreds of meaninfgul hours of gameplay

Fenyx is a good game.

It's a joke about you saying 7.5/8 as in it's a 7.5 on a 8 point scale, rather than a 7.5 or 8 on a 10 point scale

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's pretty much the Gameloft approach but with an actual budget and production values to back it. It's not necessarily a bad thing but ymmv on how much you can tolerate.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
This isn't the first time a title has gone in with Zelda as its inspiration. There are countless who have near enough copied the 2D ones - there is a huge thread about Sega's ones on here - loads like Oceanhorn, who went for the 3D titles. Now BOTW is here and the same thing is happening. It is the leader in its field by quite some margin and people will always want to learn from the best.

I think the spotlight is really on here because this is the first time in a long while that other entities have gone in for the same level of production gloss, and we're in an era where comparison videos are a major thing.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Might be a new open world sub-genre. Similar to souls-like games and metroidvanias. Not that I'm complaining.

It's interesting though, that nobody can create a souls-like even as good as dark souls 2. This game looks better than Genshin Impact, at least, may even be better than BotW

Really excited for what Aunoma and EAD Tokyo team has in store for BotW 2. They need to bring back classic Zelda dungeons and puzzles, those are usually unmatched. It's what makes Zelda... Zelda.

Last edited:

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
What, that's not recent? Most words are really old, you know. "Ain't" is a recently made up word, relative to most, and it's like 50+ years old.

But no one answered my question. I thought "yeet" meant to make a noise? Why's it being used to mean "sucked up into the sky", or whatever? Yes, I'm old. Just trying to keep up.

"Yeet" is basically a verb. To throw or knock something away, usually aggressively. Like if someone makes you upset and you throw their coffee and say "yeet!"