• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
We have surely all heard the comparison made between these two but I was pretty surprised by just how close they are here. I mean, it's about as close as I've ever seen between two entirely different open world games. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, more games like BOTW I would view as a plus. But seeing it now, are they more or less alike than you first though?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for that sweet three way comparison between BotW, Immortals, and Genshin Impact to REALLY get this forum heated.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
BotW is one of my favorite games of all time, and there aren't many like it. The idea of a similar game to tide me over until the sequel comes out is honestly more of a positive to me than a negative. I can't wait to play Immortals, it looks fun as hell

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is more of a blatant copy than Genshin. Genshin at least has a different combat system and the whole service thing like dailies and battle pass.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is more of a blatant copy than Genshin. Genshin at least has a different combat system and the whole service thing like dailies and battle pass.

The combat system isn't much like Breath of the Wild at all.

This game also does have weird dailies too (not that that's a good thing in either game).

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it's so similar to BotW is the reason I'm getting it. Just need to decide on PS5 or Switch.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
in the press preview version, which I played this year over Parsec, the Fenyx stamina meter was still a BoTW-style circle. Its meter style change must've come at the last minute of development.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting it to be way more similar to Assassin's Creed with a light coating of BotW, but man. This is BotW if BotW recieved a huge QoL update. Not saying it's a better game, but it really improves the formula in my opinion. I have a harder time putting this down than I did with BotW.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft clearly took ideas from BOTW with Immortals. But then again, Nintendo clearly took ideas from Ubisoft's games with BOTW. It's Tomb Raider-Uncharted-Tomb Raider all over again. Who started what?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I didn't find Immortals visually repulsive because I really like the tone that it's going for.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
If you think about it, botw also took mechanics from ubisoft older games as well. The map system and towers. Exploration as well and the way the content is distributed. But there is no denying that immortals is a less creative project. Definitely took a lot more from botw then it ever took from ubisoft games. But does it matter? I don't think so.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
The magnesis one is just lol. They aint even trying to hide that. Whatever though im not getting paid to defend Nintendo so borrow all you want ubisoft

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very similar but the dorky looking run animations of immortals would keep me from ever playing it. Also the art style in general isn't as strong as Zelda, even though 60 fps is nice

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's a Switch game so it'll probably get a pass for blatantly copy pasting BotW. But let's be clear that if any other game company tried this they'd probably get shit on. It's honestly a good looking game both visually and gameplay-wise. Still, though...it's a fucking rip off. If I was counting the minutes for BotW2 then this game would make me cream my jeans.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
To bad it misses the mark on what makes BOTW so great. Exploration and a sense of adventure. Instead it clutters everything with the usual ubisoft game systems making it yet another ubi checklist game. It's, of course, bloated as well.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Combat comes across more as the old style God of War to me
I'll give the vid everything but that and the "map revealing towers" lol

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man, Zelda has a SO much better artstyle and inventive designs overall, to me this comparison makes Immortals look like the cheap knockoff it probably doesn't want to be. From map to characters to icons to animations. Even the mood/backgrounds of the puzzle rooms.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
The "terrain revealed by tower" part made me laugh. Have you heard about Ubisoft games ?
And you can slow down time when aiming with a bow ? Wow thank you BotW !

Haha but other than this video trying a bit too hard, yeah the inspiration is quite obvious.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's good that this game exists. More than 3 years after botw became the success we know it is, Nintendo hasn't released a single game scratching the same itch. The next one will be botw2 next year, but it's a shame that Nintendo wasn't bolder and didn't make another open world game with the same engine.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I agree it's a blatant copy but apparently the combat system in Immortals is quite different from BOTW. It's more like a simplified Devil May Cry and there's no weapon durability.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's good that this game exists. More than 3 years after botw became the success we know it is, Nintendo hasn't released a single game scratching the same itch. The next one will be botw2 next year, but it's a shame that Nintendo wasn't bolder and didn't make another open world game with the same engine.

What, do you think those games just appear by magic? BOTW was presumably Nintendo's biggest project in history, what do you think they're doing with BOTW2?

Making a quality product in the genre without cutting corners takes years.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
What, do you think those games just appear by magic? BOTW was presumably Nintendo's biggest project in history, what do you think they're doing with BOTW2?

Making a quality product in the genre without cutting corners takes years.

Calm down. You don't need to be aggressive because someone has a slight critical opinion about your favorite multinational company.

When From hit gold with Demon Souls, they started iterating on the formula with other games; dark souls, bloodborne, even Sekiro though it introduced other gameplay mechanics. I'm just disappointed that Nintendo isn't doing the same. Can you share a forum space with someone holding such heretic opinion? If not, feel free to blacklist me, your life will be improved.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
Mostly superficial things that most games have anyway. Towers have been in Ubisoft games for ages, timed dodges aren't unique to BOTW, and the parry in both games don't even work the same way. The only element that feels blatant is magnesis.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
It's clear you didn't play a single minute of the game lol

Why would I share an opinion on a game I did not play? Already on the first tower (the big statue) you realise what you're in for. Granted, the game doesn't unlock all points of interest for you like in asscreed, but you actually have to "scan" for them to show on the map. But effectively it's more or less the same thing and it ruins the fun for me. You don't even have to see the stuff you unlock on the map. Even if it's not actually visible from the viewpoint it unlocks. The game knows it's there and unlocks it for you even if you yourself have no possibility to actually see it.

Not saying the game is bad. But it doesn't capture what I like the most with BOTW.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Zelda has a SO much better artstyle and inventive designs overall, to me this comparison makes Immortals look like the cheap knockoff it probably doesn't want to be. From map to characters to icons to animations. Even the mood/backgrounds of the puzzle rooms.
Yup, Zelda does feel better to look at, has a visually appealing artstyle.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Calm down. You don't need to be aggressive because someone has a slight critical opinion about your favorite multinational company.

When From hit gold with Demon Souls, they started iterating on the formula with other games; dark souls, bloodborne, even Sekiro though it introduced other gameplay mechanics. I'm just disappointed that Nintendo isn't doing the same. Can you share a forum space with someone holding such heretic opinion? If not, feel free to blacklist me, your life will be improved.

From make exactly one type of game at the expense of everything else.

Nintendo immediately started making the sequel to BOTW on the engine of BOTW after finishing BOTW, like you're asking for. It takes longer than Fromsoft did because we're a decade removed from Demon souls, development time requirements since have increased massively, and the Fromsoft games are of a much smaller scale than BOTW to the point where they're not really comparable.

It's not heretical, it's just dumb to ignore the realities of how long game development takes, and I'm good with pointing that out to you, thanks.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game but the four flowers thing and the big bad lair in the middle of the map is crazy. I'd like to think Morrowind inspired BotW on that one.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out, not the same game! I, for one, am shocked. I don't know if this supposed to make Generic Game Name look bad, but I like what I'm seeing.

Last edited: