• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
3599766-complete-list-10of10-feature-thumb-nologo-1.jpg

The previous 3 games were BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Original Sin 2, a couple years ago.

[UPDATE: We've re-published this story today, November 4 2019, to include Disco Elysium.]

It's not every day that GameSpot gives a game a 10/10, so it's an understandably big deal. After all, since 1996, only sixteen games have earned that rare rank. However, a game needs to be essential to achieve a 10/10, and it needs to have something so meaningful to offer us that it simply cannot be ignored. Regardless, a 10/10 review score is always determined by the personal opinion of its respective writer and always reflects as such.
Disco Elysium
Review Date: November 4, 2019

"Disco Elysium is a mad, sprawling detective story where the real case you've got to crack isn't who killed the man strung up on a tree in the middle of town--though that in itself, replete with dozens of unexpected yet intertwined mysteries and wild excursions into the ridiculous, is engrossing enough to sustain the game. Rather, it's an investigation of ideas, of the way we think, of power and privilege, and of how all of us are shaped, with varying degrees of autonomy, by the society we find ourselves in." Read the full review.

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely deserved
I'm just grateful I had the opportunity to play this while it was new.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
The game is fantastic. Completely deserves its rating on right on this list.

On another note, I was surprised to see Chrono Cross on that Gamespot list. Glad i'm not the only one who thought CC deserves to be on that list.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very much deserved, it's a truly Incredible game.
Felt so wonderful to play on a whim without any personal hype and end up discovering an all time favorite.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
While I was enjoying it, I couldn't shake the feeling it was little more than a 'choose your own adventure'. I played 10 hours, not sure if I'll pick it back up. There just wasnt enough to the gameplay for it to really engage me.

If the story really grabbed me that would have been enough to see me through. In 10 hours, I didnt see much beyond corruption/capitalism and a murder that no one else was interested in so why I should I be?

I do admire the overall ambition of the project though

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I will absolutely get to it whenever there's less games and more money.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's a very cool game. And without wading into the specific merits of this or any other 10/10 rating, I think it's a sign of how much respect indies have (rightly) earned over the past decade that we're seeing games like Celeste and Hollow Knight compete for GOTY at major publications/awards shows and a game like Disco Elysium sit alongside mostly AAA-style releases in Gamespot's honor roll.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah. I mean this hyperbolically, but I kind of feel like this game has ruined other RPGs for me in a way that Dark Souls did almost a decade ago. It is to dialogue in RPGs in 2019 what Dark Souls was to combat in 2009. I feel like it should be the new standard in the same way.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have a feeling that by the time this comes to consoles and I finally play it, all the hype and high praise has put my expectations through the roof and it'll never live up to them. We'll see some day.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Literally bought it today at work, and am downloading it now. I hadn't even heard of this game unttil about a week ago - watched a review from IGN and read some Steam reviews and I was ridiculously interested. No idea if I'll enjoy it - favorite RPGs ever are KOTOR and FFIX, which are both pretty gameplay heavy. But I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

KLonso

Oct 27, 2017
Planning to play this after Outer Worlds since I'm told that it will ruin Outer Worlds for me if I do it the other way around

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, going to have to check this out. It seems to do the same thing The House In Fata Morgana does by simply blowing you away with it's story (and by that I mean taking it in directions that are a very rarely trodden in video games). I'm down for that. I love me a good story.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Best of luck dodging spoilers. Seems like my worst nightmare to have to wait that long and hope Youtube video titles from analysis videos don't fuck me over. Probably not an issue with Disco Elysium.
Nah, it depends on you, really.

I've never played MGS4 and I know nothing about the game besides the salute gif. I played Uncharted games and TLOU in 2017 and I wasn't spoiled at all.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
One or two more playthroughs of the Outer Worlds and I think I will be getting back to really digging into this game for a while.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to getting stuck into this. Hopefully before the end of the year!

Am I right in saying that it's exclusively for sale on Steam and GOG? Can't find it on any third party stores, Epic style. isthereanydeal suggests that its not available cheaper anywhere.

dagger

Nov 21, 2017
damn, congrats to the devs.

p.s. an interesting video where some of the writers discuss the games that were awarded a 10/10 (it's from 2014, so obviously it's outdated, but it's still worth watching):

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it depends on you, really.

I've never played MGS4 and I know nothing about the game besides the salute gif. I played Uncharted games and TLOU in 2017 and I wasn't spoiled at all.
I've played RDR2, took a break for a couple months, have not searched for anything relating to the game on Google or Youtube for months and then some random day Youtube just threw a thumbnail in my face that spoiled the ending. It's not always possible to avoid that.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm just hearing about this game now. Sounds incredible...my Razer should run this no problem. Time to look up pricing lol.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game and one of my top of the year for sure, but I do worry that the super high reviews might oversell it to some people once they get around it.

Especially since the game is not without issues.... like having a rather weak conclusion.

Still very much worth playing though, and I guess if it can get this gem in more people's hands in general though, it's worth it.