• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Ah here it was:

Epic called out Google's practices towards third party software sources[...]

IGN - Article

Feels like this might have a place in the OP? Not sure. I don't think the full picture is being painted by this article though.

They mention and comment on that statement in the article linked in the OP. The article also contains a link to another article with the statement from Epic.

That would explain why the company's statement on putting Fortnite in the Google Play store, effectively ceding one front in its crusade, comes across as quite bitter. There's a real sense that Epic feels Google has acted in an underhand way, even though from an outsider's perspective it's hard to see what Google has actually done wrong. It does give security warnings when side-loading software onto Android, but that's eminently reasonable, and not dissimilar to what many operating systems do with unsigned software from unrecognised sources. It still allows side-loading and even allows other companies to run their own software distribution stores on the Android platform; it just turns out that Google Play is the one users like, trust and use, even on devices which have other stores installed from the get-go.

Nov 4, 2017
Note that on PC, Epic had to pay developers/publishers huge sums of money upfront in order to get them to stop letting Valve take a 30% cut in exchange for everything Steam offers.
Preach. Steam must be offering a lot of value to justify some of those phat checks handed out.

I feel like a lot of pro-EGS sentiment just seems to be console users trying to catch PC users in a platform war "gotcha!" moment. Like "Look at the PC faboys upset over their pwecious Steam being attacked". As I've said since EGS started, only one platform gives me a native Linux client, has invested in making over 5600 games work flawlessly in Linux, offers streaming to other devices in my home, provides free cloud backups, features an excellent big screen mode for TV play, phenomenal controller support/management and mod management tools. I'll gladly use any other platforms that offer me that. All Sweeney has done is actively take games away from me while offering nothing in return except slightly lower prices. I'll gladly pay a slightly higher price for the features offered by Steam, and I'm sure others feel the same. It will be interesting to see what happens when the exclusivity handouts end.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hit the nail on the head, while it was good for devs but really mostly pubs, it was a worse experience in every way for the customer both on the pc and the phone and 95% of customers probably more dont even know about the percentage splits between the parties and even less care. Most people who play games, hell most people who do anything care only about price and user experience. Not everyone is Sweeney. They did nothing good in either of those places. Instead they actually made people like them less by taking stuff away from the choice of things they do like. They literally made it worse for people.

Yep. I think that many people correctly identified the issue with Epic's approach when their whole EGS push began. Instead of trying to offer more to both customers and developers, they chose to offer more money to developers and essentially force customers through exclusivity. They completely neglected the customer experience and that is they main reason they faceplanted on both PC and Android.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i feel like this seems like a EGS exclusive game that comes to Steam after a period of time. First, EGS places Fortnite outside of the Play Store, soaks up the revenue that it gets without any cut to others, then once they saturate the market and consumers who sideload it(its fucking Fortnite, one of the most successful and popular games in the world), they go to Play Store, take the 30% cut but gain whatever marketing or whatnot from there.

In that sense, it probably worked out fine for Epic. Same reasoning for the EGS exclusives maybe? It depends, does the money gained from the cut from ppl buying it override the financial incentives given to devs/publishers? Probably not, but who knows. We'll see if they keep up the EGS exclusives.
Yeah, for business sometimes growth is more important than profit.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
That is in reference to store cuts, not publisher contracts.

iOS, Google Play, PSN, Xbox Live, eShop and Steam all charge a 30% cut.
You don't think deals are made for certain games that reduce that cut from 30%?

I'd be surprised if Epic is paying 30% on the google store.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing other members, history of similar behaviour
It's the same 5 folks on their own anti-Epic crusade posting these types of threads. I'm glad to see the actual subsequent discussion is far less sensational and "hot-takey" these days. Coincidentally, the post counts in these crusades are shrinking as less and less numbers of people are truly bothered enough by Epic to care.

In any case, I'm sorry for the above snark and for being dickish. At the very least, thank you for posting the story. OP, you have tended to be one of the more reasonable when it comes to this stuff.

As to the article at hand, this whole endeavor has been about Epic trying to maximize profit, regardless of how "altruistic" they claim to be. Google Play, a product that is also about maximizing profit, told Epic to stuff it. Epic relents because it's worth more to them to get Fortnite mobile into as many hands as possible. Case closed.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's the same 5 folks on their own anti-Epic crusade posting these types of threads. I'm glad to see the actual subsequent discussion is far less sensational and "hot-takey" these days. Coincidentally, the post counts in these crusades are shrinking as less and less numbers of people are truly bothered enough by Epic to care.

Or they simply don't care about Epic itself.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

In any case, I'm sorry for the above snark and for being dickish. At the very least, thank you for posting the story. OP, you have tended to be one of the more reasonable when it comes to this stuff.

As to the article at hand, this whole endeavor has been about Epic trying to maximize profit, regardless of how "altruistic" they claim to be. Google Play, a product that is also about maximizing profit, told Epic to stuff it. Epic relents because it's worth more to them to get Fortnite mobile into as many hands as possible. Case closed.

Im not really sure if people posting news on Epic are on an "anti-Epic crusade". It seems a lot of people recognise the double standard coming out of Epic and what they say they want to achieve, vs their actual actions and the actual goal they chase, which is profit as anyone anticipates. As you close with, pretty straight forward.

It does seem like there is a change up in tact at least lately - getting on with being on Play Store, beginning work as a more involved publisher etc. One can only hope their efforts for EGS involve actually competing at a service level so people can consider them along with so many other providers.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's more about three things:
a) People care less about the EGS right now because it's buying less exclusives and by that creating less artificial obstructions
b) Epic is doing some good deeds as well like the MegaGrants project or funding new titles which counters some of the EGS negativity
c) People are sick of having to deal with posters on Era that join specific topics only to purposefully de-rail it with some hidden anti-epic-crusade conspiracy theories

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Regardless of what you think of Epic. Fortnight not being able to move the needle on the 30% revenue share on the play store. Pretty much seals the deal for the 30% going forward. If a game as big as fortnight couldn't do it. Nothing will on mobile

*because I know people will try to take this out of context and frame it as me talking about steam and egs. I'm talking purely about the 30% standard rate applied to purchases on mobile app stores.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The crusade is against steam. Framing it like they were trying to change the cut for the whole industry is absurd.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crusade is against steam. Framing it like they were trying to change the cut for the whole industry is absurd.
It's all that the pro egs people could muster for an argument and it was wrong from the start. None of this is surprising especially the lack of a foothold that epic made with their stores.