• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
We decided to ask the gamers themselves. GamesIndustry.biz has a panel of elite gamers, attendees of shows such as EGX and PAX, who own multiple platforms and are frequent gamers. We spoke to them last year to ask them why they didn't buy the new Call of Duty. And now they're back to share some ideas as to why Elden Ring was such a breakthrough success.

Over 200 gamers responded to this survey, and out of those, 35% said they purchased Elden Ring. 24% said they were entirely new to the genre and had never played a 'Souls-like' game before.

When we asked this group of new players why they were interested in Elden Ring (they could select multiple responses), 80% said it was the open world setting that attracted them this time. 67% said it was the critical reception that won them over, while 28% said it was the result of influencer recommendation (whether via YouTube or social media).

Friend recommendation accounted for 40% of new Elden Ring customers, while 27% were drawn in by George RR Martin's involvement. Other cited reasons included advertising (20%), looking for a new action game to play (6%) and looking for something more challenging (6%).

The majority of respondents didn't buy Elden Ring, and the biggest reason for that is the lack of time to devote to it (32%), followed by the game looked too hard (22%). The title's theme and setting put off 13% of respondents.

Just over 10% of respondents said that the game was too expensive for them, and a few commented that they will be looking to acquire it once it goes on sale.

Finally, we asked both groups (Elden Ring players and non-Elden Ring players) what their most anticipated game of the year is. The game that came out top by a big margin was the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. 24% of the all participants picked this game, with Elden Ring players (27%) marginally more interested than non-Elden Ring players (21%).

However, this survey was conducted before Zelda was delayed until 2023. Therefore, the most anticipated games amongst this group is Bethesda's Starfield, which is due to launch on Xbox and PC this November. 17% of respondents opted for this, with both Elden Ring and non-Elden Ring players similiarly excited.

The next big game was PlayStation's Horizon Forbidden West (13%). This title was released before Elden Ring, but it's clear players are eager to return to it once they've finished with their current game.

Rounding out the Top Five is God of War Ragnarok (11%) and then Pokémon Violet/Scarlett (5%).

5% of respondents said there was nothing coming this year that excited them

www.gamesindustry.biz

Why did so many people buy Elden Ring? | GI Asks

FromSoftware and Bandai Namco has a monster hit on its hands with Elden Ring.The game is within the'Souls-like' genre, …

Oct 30, 2017
Survey only 200 people.

70 of them say they actually bought the game
130 of them did not buy the game

Why did so many people buy Elden Ring?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see Starfield as the most highly anticipated game of 2022!

Game is going to be huge and is going to add a ton of Game Pass subscriptions.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm curious if the high sales result in the opposite effect they wanted for the Completion Rate (As the goal was to have this with the most completions)

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i wish i could be a gamesindustry.biz elite gamer panelist

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

It's not that surprising to me. It's Bethesda's first big ass game from Bethesda proper since what, Fallout 4? New IP, interest piqued by many with Game Pass becoming such a big thing...and Zelda shuffled off the board. It's gonna do very well.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Over 200 gamers responded to this survey, and out of those, 35% said they purchased Elden Ring. 24% said they were entirely new to the genre and had never played a 'Souls-like' game before.

I'm a bit confused.

24% of those 35%? Or 24% total?

Either 1 in 4 players who bought the game were new to the series, or 2 in 3 in case it's the latter, which would be very impressive and it'd make more sense considering the huge commercial success.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Survey only 200 people.

70 of them say they actually bought the game
130 of them did not buy the game

Why did so many people buy Elden Ring?
200 is a pretty insignificant sample size.
200 is laughably small sample size for any conclusion.

This is profoundly incorrect.

You can survey ~800-1000 people in the US and end up with a very accurate predictor of Presidential election results. It is safe to say that 200 gamers are enough to gain insights into gamer sentiment around Elden Ring.

Oct 30, 2017

You can survey ~800-1000 people in the US and end up with a very accurate predictor of Presidential election results. It is safe to say that 200 gamers are enough to gain insights into gamer sentiment around Elden Ring.
Not when the topic of the survey is, "why did you buy Elden Ring"

Survey 200 people that actually purchased the game.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

You mean an election where you vote for 1 of two parties or abstain?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if the high sales result in the opposite effect they wanted for the Completion Rate (As the goal was to have this with the most completions)
I've been impressed by the Steam achievement percentages, when I beat it I noticed the last mandatory boss in the set was at around 25% completion, which seems very high to me for such a long challenging game that even I a relative Souls veteran only finished this week after playing regularly since launch.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Not in this case. I know people love to "correct" folks and say survey results are accurate with very few people, but it's simply not true for many surveys, especially ones like this.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Therefore, the most anticipated games amongst this group is Bethesda's Starfield, which is due to launch on Xbox and PC this November. 17% of respondents opted for this
HeartyJealousCondor-size_restricted.gif

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think its a multi-pronged answer here. 1. It hit at the right time. Not a whole lot going on right now. 2. A fantasy game with GRRM involved is an easy sell for a lot of people. 3. Word of mouth has been extremely positive 4. Elden Ring is MUCH more accessible than a lot of previous entries. 5. People are still REALLY hungry for big new games for the new consoles.

Oct 27, 2017

Well I guess the responders hear BOTW2 was delayed then lol

I do think responders talking about ELDEN RING would be more in the know, and it's only 200 ppl.

I kinda doubt if it was open to more ppl that Starfield would come out above GOW just since it's a new IP. If Zelda was an option as it would've been before last week it def wouldn't be #1 imo. I hope it does well but I think the sample size and target demo (Elden ring buyers) skews it

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I do think responders talking about ELDEN RING would be more in the know, and it's only 200 ppl.

I kinda doubt if it was open to more ppl that Starfield would come out above GOW just since it's a new IP. If Zelda was an option as it would've been before last week it def wouldn't be #1 imo. I hope it does well but I think the sample size and target demo (Elden ring buyers) skews it
If you read the OP, you can see that Zelda was indeed #1 most anticipated, followed by Starfield. But since it was delayed to 2023 since that poll, Starfield comes out on top for 2022.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021

This survey was taken before BoTW2 delay was announced and consists of both people who did and didnt buy elden ring (70 : 130). Also BoTW2 was number 1 anticipated but now since its a 2023 game that makes the 2nd highest anticipated (Starfield) the most anticipated of 2022.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

you should read the article carefully.

Oct 25, 2017
People flabbergasted at the concept of a shit ton of people buying a video game that is *checks notes* good and *turns page* kicks industry norms and *closes notebook* had a shit ton of marketing, most of which advertised that it had the involvement of a recognizable writer.

Oct 27, 2017
If you read the OP, you can see that Zelda was indeed #1 most anticipated, followed by Starfield. But since it was delayed to 2023 since that poll, Starfield comes out on top for 2022.

This survey was taken before BoTW2 delay was announced and consists of both people who did and didnt buy elden ring (70 : 130). Also BoTW2 was number 1 anticipated but now since its a 2023 game that makes the 2nd highest anticipated (Starfield) the most anticipated of 2022.

The target demo is a fixed group of multi-console owners that gameindustry.biz regularly (?) surveys, not Elden Ring players.

you should read the article carefully.
My mistake then, read way too fast at work lol

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
People flabbergasted at the concept of a shit ton of people buying a video game that is *checks notes* good and *turns page* kicks industry norms and *closes notebook* had a shit ton of marketing, most of which advertised that it had the involvement of a recognizable writer.
Well to be fair it did sell better than it's other Souls peers by an order of magnitude so it's a fair question; what made this one different?

Pretty sure it's already outsold DS3's entire lifetime sales or something like that

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I doubt anyone is mistaken on the potential sales of the game titled "from the creators of Skyrim."
I feel like it's commonly ignored because "bugthesda" and since it's a new IP. Might just be my bubble but everytime I've heard people talk about big games this year and potential GOTY it seems like Starfield is always an afterthought. Hope they're proven wrong.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Interesting a lot of people seem to have been drawn to the game by George R R Martin being involved. Couldn't be further from my reason.

I bought the game as a new Souls player mainly for the following reasons:

- Cross platform availability meaning I could still play a 2022 game on my PS4
- Critical reception
- Learning that its open world nature meant you can't necessarily hit a wall, as you can always go somewhere else, level up and come back later
- Watching a bunch of gameplay videos to see if it would be my kind of thing
- Even then I almost didn't get it, and had actually decided not to, but a friend then messaged me in a similar boat (hadn't played a Souls game before) and talked me into it, saying it was really good
- It was also surprisingly cheap on Amazon UK at launch, I think 45 for the deluxe pack, which certainly helped

It was a hard sell, but I'm glad I picked it up. And no, I don't have any intention of playing any other From Software games. This is probably enough to last me a lifetime.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I worked for a large energy supplier as a analyst generally looking into issues and producing solutions. We would max out at 200 sample size most the times. Often 100 depending on time.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I feel like it's commonly ignored because "bugthesda" and since it's a new IP. Might just be my bubble but everytime I've heard people talk about big games this year and potential GOTY it seems like Starfield is always an afterthought. Hope they're proven wrong.
You are probably not wrong. Like, I'm almost one of those people. Bethesda games normally don't click for me. I could only like Skyrim, but that was it. I see no appeal at all for Starfield and I can't relate to why people are excited about it. As you said as well, the "recent" attention they got from a release with a lot of bugs doesn't help that as well.

But then I have to remember that they just sell well and are probably not for me 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
You are probably not wrong. Like, I'm almost one of those people. Bethesda games normally don't click for me. I could only like Skyrim, but that was it. I see no appeal at all for Starfield and I can't relate to why people are excited about it. As you said as well, the "recent" attention they got from a release with a lot of bugs doesn't help that as well.

But then I have to remember that they just sell well and are probably not for me 🤷‍♂️
And I'm with you. The only Bethesda game that ever sat with me is Skyrim. The older TES are too old for me and don't really like the Fallout aesthetic. So that's why, as a Skyrim fan, when Todd Howard says that Starfield is "Skyrim in space" that I got so excited. I love Skyrim, I love space, and I love voiced robots (VASCO 😍).