• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
So the CEO who knew about this for years, who didn't step down, didn't bother make any changes? Who could have seen this coming.

sagi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2021
Not exactly a surprise that management continues being bad and unresponsive to issues related to harassment and abuse when the man who managed the company through a period of great mismanagement involving prolonged and prevalent cases of harassment and abuse which were ignored until it blew up into a huge PR mess, remains as CEO at the company.

The self-serving motivations behind that man's unwillingness to take responsibility and genuinely work to improve things for his staff, are repugnant.
I think one of the articles even pointed out that he met with other abusers (higher management) weekly on a yacht or ship or something. So he was in that awful circle...

WanderingVoid

Feb 24, 2021
I'm not at all shocked and pretty much expected this outcome when Yves didn't even step down from his position. He failed his company and clearly more aware of the sexual harassment and misconduct then he's let on.

You'll only get the illusion of change at Ubisoft and nothing more.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course shit wouldn't change, the abuser who protected the other abusers is still there, their shitass CEO.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
New cases? How stupid should you be to continue being a pathetic pig and harassing people even after the stories of your harassment culture got out and grew to be a well known issue in the industry?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
New cases? How stupid should you be to continue being a pathetic pig and harassing people even after the stories of your harassment culture got out and grew to be a well known issue in the industry?
At first I thought the same thing but… I guess they saw no effective changes were made so their misconduct was validated.

Damn, I need a new avatar.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cause they know nothing will actually happen. There will be a few articles here and there but they'll just announce some games to shift the conversation.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't remember tge last Ubisoft game I bought anyway.
Easy to not give them any money when nothing they make is interesting.

Also its great how the gaming press collectively forgot about their abuses and continued business as usual covering Ubisoft games.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Until their stock value suffers, Yves has no reason to think about stepping down. It's his family's company, after all.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I guess the rape company is still the rape company.
They fired and rehired one of the worst case on a contract basis.
You didn't need clearer signs that nothing was going to change.
Guillemot likes abusers in managerial positions and is fully backing the abusers, that much is clear.

I'll support the racists abusers at Quantic Dream before Ubisoft see a cent from me.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
www.vg247.com

Ubisoft responds to damning report about changes made following last year's toxic management allegations

Ubisoft is accused of not doing enough to get rid of toxic management and respond to abuse allegations.

When contacted about the report, a Ubisoft representative told VG247 that the company has "implemented major changes across its organization, internal processes and procedures" in order to create a "safe, inclusive and respectful working environment for all team members." The spokesperson also listed all the changes Ubisoft has made since the start of the crisis, which include the previously mentioned reporting tools, investigating the allegations and taking action against the perpetrators, employee training, and revamping the company's code of conduct.

Ubisoft also pointed to the appointment of Lidwine Sauer as its head of workplace culture, who is overseeing the implementation of these changes. Speaking on HR, Ubisoft said it has "revamped our HR processes", and reiterated the hiring of Anika Grant as HR head, and Raashi Sikka as VP of global diversity and inclusion.

"These concrete actions demonstrate the profound changes that have taken place at every level of the company," said Ubisoft.

"Additional initiatives are underway and are being rolled out over the coming months. We are committed to strengthening our culture and values in the long term, to help ensure every team member at Ubisoft is heard, respected and valued in the workplace."

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
UbiLogo.png

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
They were never going to change as long as Yves is at the top.

And they're not going to get a penny from me until he's gone. Not that their games are worth a penny these days anyways.
But Riders Republic...

I am not sure what can even be done there when the Guillemont family has so much power over the company (how does that work when they are a public company that has to answer to shareholders and the non-Guilemont part of the board?).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
But Riders Republic...

I am not sure what can even be done there when the Guillemont family has so much power over the company (how does that work when they are a public company that has to answer to shareholders and the non-Guilemont part of the board?).
The Guillemots continue to own the controlling majority of the company's shares, I believe.

So, until the company is actually feeling the financial repercussions of these horrific actions, they don't have to do anything- there's nothing really to answer for, if the media reporting about the abuse allegations gets several thousand clicks and the next game preview video gets a million.

Oct 28, 2017
What's a good way to influence management change without impacting the workers of Ubisoft?

At the journalist level I guess it's keeping up the pressure on Ubisoft.

At the consumer level is it actively boycotting Ubisoft games or would impact the pockets of direct workers?

Honest question as someone that wishes better from Ubisoft (Canadian here).

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
It's bad enough that the systemic abuse and harassment went on for so long unchecked, but now after burying their heads in the sand, it's back to business as usual? What the hell? My friend circle hasn't purchased an Ubi game since, it helps that they're in a bit of a stagnant phase wrt their games. I feel great not wasting money on their "products" and "services." There are way too many good games to play for me to stoop to lining Yves' pockets if this is the way he handles things. Especially after that simpering, insincere apology.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What's a good way to influence management change without impacting the workers of Ubisoft?

At the journalist level I guess it's keeping up the pressure on Ubisoft.

At the consumer level is it actively boycotting Ubisoft games or would impact the pockets of direct workers?

Honest question as someone that wishes better from Ubisoft (Canadian here).
Promoting unionization for Canadian game devs would probably be the best thing in this situation. Boycotts aren't particularly reliable, and would need to be coupled with public sentiment as to WHY their are happening (or the company will get the idea "our games aren't mainstream enough" instead).

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Minimal changes you say? So just like every iteration of their open world games for the past decade.

Funny they trotted out their HR hires. As anyone who's worked in one knows, you can hire fucking anyone but unless these heads are given massive leeway to make the necessary changes it means jack shit. And considering Yves is still at the top of that totem, I'm guessing these hires are probably having a rough go at changing the culture over there.

Oct 29, 2017
I for one am shocked and disappointed that a company that couldn't even post public apologies as this was being reported made no meaningful changes to their company culture

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Yves is still there........of course nothing changed

The only way to truly change is to start at the top. With Yves still there, it will never change. And if he retires, he'll be sure to put someone in charge that would basically be just like him. And the cycle happens all over again and people still buying their games.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
That is so much nothing that I have no idea why it was posted. It only reinforces that nothing has changed.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Gaslighting fucks. I wouldn't want to be left alone in a room with that statement, let alone have my professional life depend on it.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
The fact this is getting so little traction is so damn depressing - we'll have 20+ pages for a Kotaku opinion piece on PS5, 20+ pages for Hero Lighting and this one stops in its tracks at 2 pages.

Fuck Yves. Ubi needs changes from the top down in a big way.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The fact this is getting so little traction is so damn depressing - we'll have 20+ pages for a Kotaku opinion piece on PS5, 20+ pages for Hero Lighting and this one stops in its tracks at 2 pages.

Fuck Yves. Ubi needs changes from the top down in a big way.
It's absolutely damning how little people seem to care for this. And worse is, the normal press tours are hyping out Far Cry 6 like nothing's happened. I guess, in a way, nothing is.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't bought a ubisoft game for at least 10 years and now im damn proud of it

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
This no longer matters, FAR CRY 6!!!!!

Ubisoft knows that this whole thing can be swept under the rug with a barrage of games and it's disgusting. You see how much discourse there is over the Final Fantasy games but actual abuse and harassment of real people are pushed to the side.

Fucking sickening.