• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

When the games industry saw its most recent wave of abuse allegations take shape in June, it included dozens of accusations against Twitch streamers. Twitch CEO Emmett Shear posted a memo he sent to staff about the allegations on Twitter, saying, "We support people coming forward, commend their bravery in doing so, and know there are many others who have not. The gaming industry is not unlike others that have had to reckon with systemic sexism, racism, and abuse that rewards certain people and disadvantages -- even harms -- others. The status quo needs to change. This reckoning and industry-wide actions are overdue, and this is another issue that we, and the industry, need to address to create lasting and positive change."

About the Sexual Assault:
Shortly after that statement, a former Twitch employee approached GamesIndustry.biz to come forward with allegations of systemic sexism, racism, and abuse like Shear had referenced.

"I've been hesitant for years to share my story and the events that happened to me during my employment at Twitch," she said, "but with the recent events and their statement on Twitter, I feel compelled to share and speak out against their blatant lies to 'create a safe community.'" This employee made it clear she had nothing to gain by coming forward, but felt it was more important to hold Twitch accountable for its actions, and lack thereof.

"Twitch repeatedly swept accounts of harassment and abuse under the rug: sexual, verbal, physical abuse, and racism. And not just my own. It took place in the office. At events. In meetings and behind closed doors. It was rampant and unavoidable. We heard about it in the halls. We saw it at our desks. It was overt and part of the job."
In the months since, we have spoken with 16 Twitch employees from every era of the company dating back to when it was Justin.tv. A few said they never saw anything of the sort in their time with the company; most of them had stories confirming different aspects of the original employee's allegations.

One of the most common assertions we heard from employees was that Twitch is not a welcoming environment for women, with one saying the company demonstrated "an explicit tolerance for misogyny." "It was a boys' club," another woman said of working there. "There was a definite bias, a definite sense that females and males were different, and females weren't given the same opportunities. They were prey." One early employee recalled an atmosphere of casual sexism in the office that ranged from ignorance to outright misogyny. Another said it was common to hear women referred to as bitches in the office.

Perhaps predictably, the office culture's attitudes toward women were reflected on the Twitch platform as a whole. Women streamers were routinely called "boob streamers" by men in the office. One employee recalled instances of male co-workers joking about streamers sleeping with people to get favors or slut-shaming them. "The women on the platform were held to extreme standards, and it was always blamed on them if they used sexuality as marketing, and it was deeply degrading," one woman said.

"Women streamers' concerns were not taken seriously," one early employee said. "There was never any talk about 'Should we make a formal system?' or tools of any kind to help them manage the constant harassment. There was an attitude in the office, especially among the partnerships team, of 'What do boob streamers expect'?"

Multiple women said they'd been sexually assaulted by men at the company, including forced kisses, groping, and inappropriate massages. One described suffering verbal assault that was "extremely inappropriate, abusive, degrading, and cruel." Several women we spoke to said they expected some of this kind of treatment when they were hired, but were still surprised at the extent of it.

"Nobody ever really took responsibility for anything and there was nobody to go to if you were threatened, or felt threatened, or were harmed in some way. HR was not on the side of the employees, for sure. They were on the side of the executive team. That was the sense; if you went to HR, that would just ruin you even more."

About the Racism:
"Historically, the decision makers have been predominantly white and male, so they have brushed off safety concerns of racial and ethnic minorities, women, and people from other under-represented groups,"
they said. "They have brushed off those concerns and said, 'When we are prioritizing product road maps, this is where certain safety tools and safety interventions lie; we're going to put those at the bottom because they're not important to us.'

"And they're not important to them because of their experience, and taking their [personal] user experience as the [universal] user experience. And they don't have voices at the table who say, 'Actually, this is really important.'"

Another employee suggested the company was less actively racist than it was tolerant of racial slurs and racist attitudes on its platform. "Hate speech was dismissed as teenagers being edgy and thus not as serious," they said. "It was almost like it was dismissed as not being real racism."

One employee said racism was accepted within the company, recalling one former executive making repeated racist comments to an Asian woman on the team. Another early employee said people within the company had to fight for a year to get the n-word on the global ban list. Streamers also were expected to moderate their own chats and could ban individuals from their channel, so it was not seen as the responsibility of the platform to police behavior.

When they reached out to Twitch:

When we told Twitch what we had heard from those employees, a spokesperson for the company replied, "We take any allegations of this nature extremely seriously, whether on our service or within our company, and work swiftly to investigate and address them as appropriate. Any suggestions to the contrary misrepresent our culture, leadership, and values.

More here

Jul 10, 2020
But in all seriousness this sucks and needs to improve.

Both the office culture and the culture on Twitch in general.

It's a shitpool.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
good, they're a terrible company and need to change. It's disgusting they've gotten away with all of this for long when it was never a secret to begin with.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even shocked. Wasnt twitch born from Justin.tv I remember how insane that site was back in the day I'm not shocked there has been blatant issues even now

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. Twitch has become an important part of gaming and we need the people there to help set an example and moderate their communities and content.

Reading that they aren't even doing a good job of keeping their employees safe from other members of staff is very disheartening.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This sucks. Twitch has become an important part of gaming and we need the people there to help set an example and moderate their communities and content.

Reading that they aren't even doing a good job of keeping their employees safe from other members of staff is very disheartening.

Thats like saying theyve been trying to do better but failing at it. Shit reads like they're cultivating an environment within that workspace and on the platform where it can thrive and they can profit from it.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hugely unsurprising. Twitch is the bastion of abusers and the worst parts of humanity.

It's like "4chan live" sometimes.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Given what goes down on Twitch and the lack of repercussions to be had, I mean... *shrug* it just sucks to realize over the past few years to learn, and honestly, accept that most of the content I consume or interact with is not made for "me".

They don't support anything that doesn't fit into the specific mold of straight/white/male and prints money. Even when they attempted to bring minority content creators to the forefront for discussions, etc. in concerns to the issues surrounding the lack of diversity among other stuff, it was so ill-conceived and insincere.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Seen enough of Twitch to where it started to look like a platform run by people who don't care, but it looks like its much worse than just not caring.
HR not being on the employees side too is just pitiful.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People ignorant to journalism in this industry can only cite Jason Schreier but Brendan Sinclair has been consistently great for ages (along with Simon Parker, Cecilia D'Anastasio, and more).
Perhaps predictably, the office culture's attitudes toward women were reflected on the Twitch platform as a whole. Women streamers were routinely called "boob streamers" by men in the office. One employee recalled instances of male co-workers joking about streamers sleeping with people to get favors or slut-shaming them.​
"The women on the platform were held to extreme standards, and it was always blamed on them if they used sexuality as marketing, and it was deeply degrading," one woman said.​
One employee involved in moderation recalled professional streamer Kaceytron as an example of that, saying there was an abundance of concern when she started becoming popular on Twitch while wearing low cut tops.​
"It was one of those rare moments where some of these guys just came out with it and were honest: 'This woman is a problem because she's showing too much cleavage. And we need to come up with a way that does not bend our rules but allows us to get her off of this website.'"​
Over the years, Twitch has banned, suspended, or warned women for breastfeeding, bodypainting, wearing workout clothes at the gym, and cosplaying as Chun Li.​
While Twitch has at times been hands-on about the sexuality of women, most of those we spoke to said it was less engaged when it came to the harassment of women.​
"Women streamers' concerns were not taken seriously," one early employee said. "There was never any talk about 'Should we make a formal system?' or tools of any kind to help them manage the constant harassment. There was an attitude in the office, especially among the partnerships team, of 'What do boob streamers expect'?"​

So the misogyny of the Twitch chat was mirrored literally by the employees. What a surprise! People sometimes say that comments sections are generally the worst but can divorce the source from the commenters, it seems you can't and have to factor that in that culture.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even shocking with how bad their PR and implementation of things have always been. Like those insensitive Hispanic heritage month emotes that added then quickly axed after all the backlash last month.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
I avoid Twitch like the plague. Cesspit.

Seeing the awful content and commentary that's permitted means that stuff like this is completely unsurprising.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe this given some of the disgusting shit they let their partners get away with. Disgusting company.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That's terrible but not surprising at all, hope it'll make as much noise as it was for Ubisoft, those kind of shit needs to disappeared now.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprised about Twitch. It's a shame that GI has written this piece, I just felt it doesn't ready very well. Hopefully it gets picked up and promoted by some other outlets.