• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering one of PSVR's most appealing features was its cost compared to the other VR headsets on the market when it launched, Sony might consider using the technology in its 2019 patent application for an environment mapping/player motion-tracking system. The patent describes a tracking method that uses thermal data, swapping out the potentially pricey multiple camera setups of similar systems for an assortment of thermal beacons (like inexpensive infrared diodes) that can be placed around the room and a thermopile array in a controller to determine the player's position.

Much more here:

www.gamesindustry.biz

PSVR 2 could be the hottest VR headset yet | Patent Trawling

Games industry patents are an interesting mix of futuristic ideas, practical applications, and utter nonsense. They can…

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
They're in a perfect position to take advantage and sell the technology. With Apple and Sony in the game, its going to get another shot in the arm. Only thing that worries me is we're going head first into exclusive territory - and not just to single out Sony, Apple and Facebook will likely do the same. Not an easy time to be a VR dev.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
the article is basically just speculation based on a bunch of patents that may never see the day light.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I'd love it to happen, but after what Ryan has said about the future of VR tech being 'more than a while away' (or something to that extent), I think it's important to not assume that PSVR2 really is on the way at this stage.

Nov 19, 2017
If they go for anything besides inside out tracking...ehh...not sure how much tolerance I have to wire up a room again

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to place shit around my room to be tracked. The quest 2's tracking is really damn good and all done through the headset. I hope Sony goes that route with dual sense features put into the controllers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
All I want out of PSVR 2

- Better Screen in Headset
- Camera free tracking (I know the camera are part of the headset but you get what I mean)
- No box needed, just plug that shit into the USB C port or something. Don't even know if that's feasible but I hate how much extra stuff I need plugged in for PSVR. Reminds me of the old Sega Genesis add-ons.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
All I want out of PSVR 2

- Camera free tracking (I know the camera are part of the headset but you get what I mean)
- No box needed, just plug that shit into the USB C port or something. Don't even know if that's feasible but I hate how much extra stuff I need plugged in for PSVR. Reminds me of the old Sega Genesis add-ons.

I agree, I'll just add the obvious: new VR Controllers with DualSense Features.

COLONY WARS VR too!

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
PSVR2 has the potential to be the game changer the VR space has needed but it's gonna have to hit all the notes:

- Easy plug and play, I.E. it needs to have the Quest 2's level of tracking and likely needs a wifi solution so it is wireless.

- It needs several killer apps followed by a steady stream of future titles

-It needs to be reasonably priced

- It needs a better screen than even Index and comparable controllers.

If they can hit those notes it can be a game changer, if not, the space will stay waiting

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I love a patent, but the majority of the stuff in that article are pie in the sky ideas that Sony throw around speculatively. I wonder if sometimes companies register silly patents to distract from their real direction.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I dunno how high Sony is willing to set the price for their headset and I doubt they are willing to eat costs like Facebook.

Oct 26, 2017
Unlike Facebook, Sony has a ton of games to sell so it's probably okay to take a loss on it. PSVR was already quite cheap for what it was.

Oct 29, 2017
PSVR2 has the potential to be the game changer the VR space has needed but it's gonna have to hit all the notes:

- Easy plug and play, I.E. it needs to have the Quest 2's level of tracking and likely needs a wifi solution so it is wireless.

- It needs several killer apps followed by a steady stream of future titles

-It needs to be reasonably priced

- It needs a better screen than even Index and comparable controllers.

If they can hit those notes it can be a game changer, if not, the space will stay waiting

Why would it need a better screen than the Index?

The rest I agree with. Sony is going to have quite a bit of time to develop PSVR2 titles since right now PSVR is on ice.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don't want to stick crap on my walls like this:

sonythermal.jpg

I hope they will use a better solution...

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
All I want is a high resolutions screen and a way lighter build. It's probably a lot to ask but I likely won't be buying it without both of those things, as they were my main issue with the original.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017

sonythermal.jpg

This seems like a very bad solution to implement in any realistic home environment.

tracking needs to come from the headset for any VR system in a console, if you need to go the way of having a vr room with a camera/tag system you are rich enough to enjoy much better PC VR experiences.

Playstation delivered a fantastic vr console experience i hope they do not make things more complex to setup.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
I'd jump in on the whole Sony ecosystem if PSVR 2 is even just on par with Quest 2 for tracking/visuals.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Would love to see some of that anti-motion sickness tech in there; stimulating the sides of the head with vibrations synced to left/right footsteps.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Inside out tracking is the way, even if it's expensive.

To me the PSVR2 needs to hit:

- Two versions: one with hardware inside, like a quest 2 and one tethered to the console. Games would need to deliver two specs, but this already happens with quest 2 / pc.

- Price: Tethered version cheaper than a quest 2, standalone same price.

- Screens on par with quest 2.

- Glove like controllers.

- No breakout box, in either version.

- Bundles: Half-Life Alyx or Beat Saber, Superhot and Pistol Whip.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

sonythermal.jpg

Yeah, when everyone else is transitioning to inside-out solutions (so no cameras/sensors), this seems like the opposite way to go in terms of a plug-and-play simple console solution.

This looks like a complete faff.

Hoping this is just 'early meaningless patents'.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love it to happen, but after what Ryan has said about the future of VR tech being 'more than a while away' (or something to that extent), I think it's important to not assume that PSVR2 really is on the way at this stage.

"I think we're more than a few minutes from the future of VR," Ryan told the Post. "PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment. Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that."

There are many ways to interpret what he means, I don't think PSVR2 is not coming is one of them.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Not so much interested in tracking, I think Oculus infrared solutions are fine.
I'm more interested in whether or not they manage to make it wireless and still use the power of Ps5.

Also, I wonder if it's already time for eye-tracking and foveated rendering because that would be a game-changer.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
If PSVR2 is basically just a carbon copy of the Rift S in terms of tech, specs & design AND the PSVR2 can be used with both PSVR 1&2 games I'll be happy. Whether Sony comes up with an Oculus-like solution where all PSVR1 games just work with the PSVR2 or games have to be patched to support it with Sony incentivizing devs to update their games, as long as I can play much of the PSVR1 library with a PSVR2 and it has decent inside out tracking I'll be happy.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
All I want out of PSVR 2

Plugging directly into the USB-C port is very likely to be possible, there's indications the PS5 has hardware to run DisplayPort over USB-C.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT16| Where we're going, we don't need loads. OT

Texas Instruments TUSB1044 10 Gbps USB Type-C bi-directional linear redriver https://www.ti.com/product/TUSB1044#product-details##features Fingers crossed DP Alt Mode’s fully hooked up for single cable USB-C PSVR2 connection. The rest of the USB configuration was accurately ‘discovered’ as...

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The patent describes a tracking method that uses thermal data, swapping out the potentially pricey multiple camera setups of similar systems for an assortment of thermal beacons (like inexpensive infrared diodes) that can be placed around the room and a thermopile array in a controller to determine the player's position.

That's dumb.

It's 2021, if a headset doesn't come out with inside-out tracking they fucked up.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Plugging directly into the USB-C port is very likely to be possible, there's indications the PS5 has hardware to run DisplayPort over USB-C.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT16| Where we're going, we don't need loads. OT

Texas Instruments TUSB1044 10 Gbps USB Type-C bi-directional linear redriver https://www.ti.com/product/TUSB1044#product-details##features Fingers crossed DP Alt Mode’s fully hooked up for single cable USB-C PSVR2 connection. The rest of the USB configuration was accurately ‘discovered’ as...

missed that. Does DP alt mode also allow for data transfer back and forth? They'd need decent bandwidth for video signals for tracking unless they do it on the headset.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
missed that. Does DP alt mode also allow for data transfer back and forth? They'd need decent bandwidth for video signals for tracking unless they do it on the headset.
From what I remember, DP alt mode takes over the pins USB-C normally uses for USB 2.0 backwards compatibility (plus possibly a couple of others), USB 3.1 coexists with it.

• Video, SuperSpeed USB and power, all on one connector
  • 4K @60Hz 24-bit color (without compression) with simultaneous USB 3.1
  • 5K (5120 x 2880) display support without compression with simultaneous USB 2.0
  • Support for BT.2020 color space, HDR, and HDCP 2.2
  • 8K x 4K display support with use of 4:2:0 pixel structure (good) or VESA Display Stream Compression (better)
  • High-end multichannel audio support
  • Backward compatible with VGA, DVI, and HDMI 2.0 with CEC using plug adapters or adapter cables
  • Extensible packet-based data structure

edit: Sorry, hit post accidentally. So it looks like the DP resolution is dependent on how many USB pins you want to have available, 4K@60 is probably a bit tight for next-gen VR, but with compression it looks like it can go up to 4K@120 with HDR support. Too bad it looks like the chip used is limited to DP 1.4.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
As a Quest 2 owner, PSVR would change the entire landscape. Maybe as much as Apple. I love the Quest 2 but it's just a placeholder until PSVR2. For me, PSVR 2 needs to be:

1. Inside Out Tracking/ Totally wireless - UNLESS
2. There's a mode that allows you to hook up to PS5 for full power (see #4)
3. PSVR2-only games similar to PSP / Vita/ Go, basically smaller experiences that require only the headset. Basically Quest 2 level games.
4. AAA experiences that push the power of the PS5 offering PS4 level VR games with higher rez and framerate. This requires a direct connection to PS5. Essentially, it's a low powered QUEST 2 for certain experiences (Superhot, Beat Saber, etc), or it's a HIGH-END machine in wired mode RE7, Skyrim, Asgard's Wrath requiring PS5
5. New controllers /tracking AT LEAST on par with Quest 2.
6. Full backwards compatibility with PSVR 1 library with improved resolution.
7. Pipe dream A: Launches with an updated version of Playstation Home.
8. Pipe dream B: Sony has been secretly working on making many of the upcoming FPS AAA First Party games on PS5 out the box PSVR2 compatible with both 2D and VR gameplay options. Thus, instant amazing library Day One.

If sony did this list, this is immediate VR dominance without isolating its existing base. I'd be ready to spend money on this.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yes the number one thing I want as a VR owner is to have a hotter headset lol.

But I really hope PSVR2 gets done and Half Life Alyx gets a wider release. Like fuck it sucks playing one of the best games of the year and it sort of comes and goes like a fart in the wind, discourse wise. I know that doesn't actually really matter but still.

I would hope also for a virtual desktop type solution, can't go wired anymore. I like being able to spin around.