• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
When Activision Blizzard reported shrinking sales, profit, and engagement numbers for its second fiscal quarter, the company said it had been investing in its key franchises, and those investments would begin to pay off in the second half of the year. The publisher today announced its third quarter results, and it appears those pay offs have been postponed to the fourth quarter at least.

Activision Blizzard net revenues were down 15% to $1.28 billion for the three months ended September 30, while net bookings were down 27% to $1.21 billion.

Part of that shortfall can be attributed to a tough comparison to the year-ago quarter, back when Activision still counted Bungie's Destiny franchise among its offerings. (Bungie reclaimed publishing rights to the series in February.) And while Activision revenues were down sharply -- off 47% year-over-year to $209 million -- it was not the only division of the company to see sales slide.
Blizzard revenues were also down 38% year-over-year to $394 million, while King revenues were off down about 1% to $500 million.

The publisher's engagement metrics were also down across the board. Overall monthly active users for Activision Blizzard were down 8% year-over-year to 316 million. Activision accounted for the steepest drop, losing 22% of its audience to finish the quarter with 36 million MAUs. Blizzard's MAUs were down 11% to 33 million, while King's MAUs declined 6% to 247 million.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I buy and play a ton of videogames and the only Activision/Blizzard I've purchased in the past 3 years or so has been Sekiro. Before that it was probably Overwatch.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This seems crazy considering Modern Warfare is the best performing CoD in a while.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Was going to buy Overwatch on Switch when it was announced but decided not to support them when launch came along

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't CTR-MW 2019 their biggest hits this year? Sekiro was a good hit as well right?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They've done a poor job cultivating their franchises IMO, CoD aside. They've had Destiny, GH, Skylanders and more be genuinely huge but now they're nothing. And it's not like there are new phenomena that have successfully taken their places. Even stuff like Crash and Spyro are in just coasting now with the inevitable new games nowhere in site. Blizzard's games will be huge but they're a while off yet. The forecast ain't great really.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that supported Blizzard from Rock and Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings, all the way to Overwatch; Blizzard can go and jump for all I care. Will never touch another Blizzard title again, not that the the execs are losing any sleep over it.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Enough people are playing CTR on PS4 as for me to earn the top 5% postions in every grand prix just by doing the bare minimum so im guessing crash is not under performing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is down because in the same quarter last year they released BFA.

It's to be expected when you don't have a 5 million seller in that quarter.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm upset to see Bobby Kotick's pockets a little less full.

Glad to see Crash did well. I wonder if we'll ever get the sales numbers for CTR.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
Activision Blizzard net revenues were down 15% to $1.28 billion for the three months ended September 30, while net bookings were down 27% to $1.21 billion.

Blizzard revenues were also down 38% year-over-year to $394 million, while King revenues were off down about 1% to $500 million.
so this is from before the china shit hit.

now they've got a new cod out i expect their next quarter to be good for them.
wankers.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
oh dear, I wish I had fucks to give but sadly I'm all out.

In truth though, it don't matter as they are still doing fine. I still echo the fuck blizzard/Activision sentiment though.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There was no Destiny September release this year. So less revenue is understandable.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm really curious to see in the upcoming reports how MW's microtransactions will perform compared to BO4's.

I doubt anything will overcome BO4's. They've included every monetization model in the book. Season pass, battle passes, miniature bundle battle pass things that you buy and then grind out, loot boxes, a cycling item shop, resource bundles, etc. Plus sticking powerful weapons behind an RNG gate and hyper diluted loot pools, only now starting to construct a more reasonable system for unlocking those.

As of now, MW is just doing some form of battle pass, but these things do tend to evolve. In Infinite Warfare and WWII, I think they mostly evolved for the better compared to launch. But Black Ops 3 and 4... hrm.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I don't want to judge other people's game preferences, but I can't help but find it depressing that King makes more than Blizzard.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In its fourth GP month there were still like 700K CTR players on PS4.
I think it's doing excellent and the constant content being dropped is every crash fans dream

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As much as I'd like to see them hurt over the China bullshit, next WoW expansion, OW1.5 and Diablo IV will comfortably make them whole.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They got rid of Destiny and replaced it with.......nothing. Last year Destiny had a huge expansion that was well received.....this year there was nothing.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised. HS, OW and Retail WoW are all stale and I don't see much on the horizon to change that. Classic was a huge boost but all the people I know that subbed for that have already stopped playing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder why the Blizzard Monthly Active Users are down, especially if WoW Classic is seeing a huge increase in subscribers. I guess some part of it is the slow death of Heroes of the Storm, and diminishing returns on Hearthstone.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
No

Which packaged releases did Activision Blizzard have in Q2? They had 0

Last year Activision had Destiny 2's expansion
Last year Blizzard had Battle For Azeroth

Beeing down is normal.

Did everyone miss the part of the article where it states they missed their own internal projections? i.e this bit - "the company said it had been investing in its key franchises, and those investments would begin to pay off in the second half of the year. The publisher today announced its third quarter results, and it appears those pay offs have been postponed to the fourth quarter at least"

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They're doing just fine.

Investors want to see growth so they can make money from their investment. Shrinking revenue is the opposite of fine for them.

This is gonna put the ATVI management under pressure to take measures to increase their earnings. In an ideal world that would be great, because it would mean that they'd invest in making more and better games. However given that this is ATVI we're talking about, that's probably not what you should be expecting to be their plan of action

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Did everyone miss the part of the article where it states they missed their own internal projections? i.e this bit - "the company said it had been investing in its key franchises, and those investments would begin to pay off in the second half of the year. The publisher today announced its third quarter results, and it appears those pay offs have been postponed to the fourth quarter at least"
Second half of the year goes from October to march. If you take it as calendar year, it's from july to december. Or maybe you missed the "half" part of the sentence?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
controvery/personal feelings aside, i don't think the house of Diablo and CoD has a whole lot to worry about. pretty great time to buy in