• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Gamescom be cancelled?

• Yes, it will be cancelled (this includes public event cancelled, digital event for announcements)

Votes: 222 80.4%
  • No, it will go ahead as planned

Votes: 53 19.2%

• Total voters

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see a future where Gamescom goes ahead as planned, especially considering it's such a European event and parts of Europe are continuing to be hit so hard.

I assume the public event is canned, and Geoff moves on with his show as some digital thing. What do you think?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how things look in a month or two.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Gamescom is in the end of august, it's been estimated it that it will take from 2 to 4 months for the virus to slow down. It might make it, though it's not completely clear.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
It usually takes place in July/August, right? We're not yet halfway through March, so that's still about half a year away. I don't think we need to worry just yet.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see a future where Gamescom goes ahead as planned, especially considering it's such a European event and parts of Europe are continuing to be hit so hard.

I assume the public event is canned, and Geoff moves on with his show as some digital thing. What do you think?
Of course it's getting canceled. Even the Bundesliga (Soccer League) will stop next week.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too early to tell right now. It being in August gives the situation time to potentially improve.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If its in august we still dont know.
Things cancelled now are being postponed for summer. If summer this hasnt been nearly contained still, doesnt matter gamescom or whatever, we are clearly fucked.
But seeing China right now, theres a real possibilty we can contain it by then.
Maybe a smaller gamescom with less audience is possible.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows? Maybe

The Olympics takes place late July thru early Aug and there are talks it being cancelled.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Germany is expecting to get hit very hard by Coronavirus, so it's a pretty safe bet it will be cancelled.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
they will cancel it like a week before. corona will not stop, its just getting started.
even if the situation is a bit more relaxed during the summer, the last thing you want to do is to shatter that with 350 000 people in a crowded space. its just sets the stage for an epic desaster.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Köln is in Nordrhein-Westfalen, and that state has an official regulation that events with more than 1000 people attending have to be cancelled.

So unless the situation changes for the local parliament to revoke this regulation, Gamescom simply can't happen.

Pretty much expecting it to be cancelled. Would feel a bit sad, i was at every Gamescom so far.

That's not true....there's a flu vaccine and thousands die from it every year.

There's many variants of flu present during each flu season, vaccines only cover the most common ones. Flu vaccine never guaranteed you 100% safety from it, but it's much likely to get one with it.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It won't. It won't end till the vaccine is out

Don't spread wild assumptions like it's truth. A vaccine is far away. Health authorities are working on several models for different regions now but they all have the pandemic peaking in some time (like a few months away for my country) and ending before the year is over.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If things don't calm down considerably before then it will have to be cancelled. Right now it looks as if it will only get worse, considerably worse. I wonder if European countries will/can even implement as drastic measures as Wuhan, China that lead new infections to stagnate instead of just exponentially growing and growing. :(

Would feel a bit sad, i was at every Gamescom so far.

Technically that would stay the same when it's not taking place this year.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sire just move it to online announcements no need for a physical show anymore

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
Nobody knows how the virus will fare in the Summer so it's impossible to answer. Gamescom is more than 5 months away, things can get better before then, or not.

Jun 1, 2018
It's 5 months from now. Who knows at this point.
Gamescom isnt the only gaming convention in germany, there are lots this year.

its not getting cancelled just because E3 got cancelled (considering american health care is much worse than in germany where its pretty much free)

89778886_2596847280560339_4960388228436721664_o.png

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Way too far away to say yet. Five months is a long time. I'm kinda surprised they cancelled E3 three months in advance.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Every big public event is getting spiked through this summer. Maybe things will be in control by August, but do you want to risk a giant international gathering when you're just getting a handle on things? Hopefully things start to resume this fall, but get used to the idea of the summer being shot.