• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Sports events will not be cancelled for the next year and a half. This is lunacy.

Maybe not the events themselves but I can imagine to be very tight and limited restrictions on public viewership. We just now get first reports that these affected by the virus might sustain longer-term lung damage even if fully cured otherwise. If that turns out to be true on a large-scale level protecting people has the upmost priority beyond normalcy and economy. Honestly most of us have comfortable homes and access to food and water, we have the internet and TV and friends and family. Economy aside is it really that bad to play it safe for a while?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Big international event like this? Yeahhh it will be canceled. Only a matter of time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not the events themselves but I can imagine to be very tight and limited restrictions on public viewership. We just now get first reports that these affect by the virus might sustain longer-term lung damage even if fully cured otherwise. If that turns out to be true on a large-scale level protecting people has the upmost priority beyond normalcy and economy. Honestly most of us have comfortable homes and access to food and water, we have the internet and TV and friends and family. Economy aside is it really that bad to play it safe for a while?

The issue is the "economy aside". They won't cancel sports events, which are massive money maker and essentials to the economy of any country, for the next year and a half. It'd ruin any country.

Gamescom being cancelled isnt a big deal but like people gotta be realist, the world can't afford to stop any activity for this long.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
That would honestly be the best and safest course of action. In the grand scheme of things 1-2 years of cons is nothing, people can still go to cons over the next 20+ years after this.
I understand the idea but the scale is completely wrong. We won't need to prohibit big gathering one year from now, it just won't serve any purpose. Unless the virus mutates in strange ways (then we'll see), it will be contained way before end of 2021.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not the events themselves but I can imagine to be very tight and limited restrictions on public viewership. We just now get first reports that these affected by the virus might sustain longer-term lung damage even if fully cured otherwise. If that turns out to be true on a large-scale level protecting people has the upmost priority beyond normalcy and economy. Honestly most of us have comfortable homes and access to food and water, we have the internet and TV and friends and family. Economy aside is it really that bad to play it safe for a while?

People won't have comfortable homes if they can't afford to pay rent/mortgage because they lost their jobs as a result of everything but the bare essential industries being shut down for over a year.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Well the hosts at the Nintendo booths also have had sanitizing wipes with them so far, but you just can't clean the controllers like you should in less than a minute. It's not possible with so many people waiting.

I'll support their notion, though it leaves the controllers more yucky than before imo. ^^

Yea for sure. It's mostly for picking up most of the sweat, but the controllers definitely are not clean.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is the "economy aside". They won't cancel sports events, which are massive money maker and essentials to the economy of any country, for the next year and a half. It'd ruin any country.

Gamescom being cancelled isnt a big deal but like people gotta be realist, the world can't afford to stop any activity for this long.
I understand the idea but the scale is completely wrong. We won't need to prohibit big gathering one year from now, it just won't serve any purpose. Unless the virus mutates in strange ways (then we'll see), it will be contained way before end of 2021.

I truly hope you two are right and I don't want to fearmonger. I'm just scared for my family, friends and myself because we all aren't exactly healthy to the point we could say we will be fine if we get the virus. And then there's this new development of long-term lung damage that goes through German media as of this morning.

People won't have comfortable homes if they can't afford to pay rent/mortgage because they lost their jobs as a result of everything but the bare essential industries being shut down for over a year.

This is also a good point, you're right, that will be a tough thing to balance worldwide. If there's anything to be learned from this, situations like this need to be taken much more seriously much quicker on a global scale.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's not happening. August appears far away for now but the situation will be developing for several months. I also find the Olympics impossible to happen as well.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Sports events will not be cancelled for the next year and a half. This is lunacy.
No massive events should happen until the virus is killed or there's a treatment and vaccine. Otherwise you'll find yourself in the same situation as of two months ago. Some countries wouldn't be able to handle another outbreak in fall.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize you basically expect that in five months we still have no progress and we should still shut down half the public life? If that is the case, humanity is screwed. But it won't be. All the current containment measures are just to make sure people get sick slower so we get herd immunity without crashing the healthcare systems... It is not meant to prevent people getting sick.

No, that's not what they "basically" said. The situation will get better and progress will be made, I truly believe that, but when our own health minister Jens Spahn and leading experts say that the crisis has a good chance of persisting until the end of 2020, then these words should be taken serious and we should do everything possible to prevent this. We shouldn't pour oil into a fire, especially with events like Gamescom, which has upwards of 200,000 participants from various parts of the world. Such an event could reignite a pandemic and make it much worse.

Also, you are confusing herd immunity with flattening the curve, because the latter is the reason as to why why have containment/quarantine.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
No massive events should happen until the virus is killed or there's a treatment and vaccine. Otherwise you'll find yourself in the same situation as of two months ago. Some countries wouldn't be able to handle another outbreak in fall.

I agree. Honestly I think the best way we could have handled this would have been back in February when the first cases cropped up outside of China, the whole world should have gone into a coordinated lockdown mode for public-life with curfews for non-essential things for a month, two at most. I'm sure even the economy as a whole would rather have had one or two months of predictable damage than X months of unpredictable damage.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's not what they "basically" said. The situation will get better and progress will be made, I truly believe that, but when our own health minister Jens Spahn and leading experts say that the crisis has a good chance of persisting until the end of 2020, then these words should be taken serious and we should do everything possible to prevent this.

And the extreme containment might not last that long, as such, we shouldn't create panic by cancelling events so far upfront.

Also, you are confusing herd immunity with flattening the curve, because the latter is the reason as to why why have containment/quarantine.
Flattening the curve still implies people getting sick and creating a healthy base of people who can't get sick anymore.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize you basically expect that in five months we still have no progress and we should still shut down half the public life? If that is the case, humanity is screwed. But it won't be. All the current containment measures are just to make sure people get sick slower so we get herd immunity without crashing the healthcare systems... It is not meant to prevent people getting sick.

How would people get sick slower if we send just ten undetected infected people into the Gamescom halls with thousands of people? It will all spiral out of control again just like if you have just one infected person at a big sports event right now.

Infected numbers will only slow down because of all the social distancing measures we take right now. Numbers of newly infected slowing down doesn't mean we can cancel all those measures immediatly and return back to normal.

And by August we're (hopefully) not close to infect the 70% of population that would be needed for herd immunity. If that actually happens there will be many healthcare systems overwhelmed and many more deaths.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How would people get sick slower if we send just ten undetected infected people into the Gamescom halls with thousands of people? It will all spiral out of control again just like if you have just one infected person at a big sports event right now.

Infected numbers will only slow down because of all the social distancing measures we take right now. Numbers of newly infected slowing down doesn't mean we can cancel all those measures immediatly and return back to normal.

And by August we're (hopefully) not close to infect the 70% of population that would be needed for herd immunity. If that actually happens there will be many healthcare systems overwhelmed and many more deaths.
Because by that time, of those 200.000 people, 100.000 people could already have had it. All depends on how many mild cases aren't being found right now.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do they even allow it to get like that? That's not fun for anyone.

Also, that dude in the red checkered shirt near the front - I had that shirt about three years ago too!
Greed. They could even rent more space, but that would cost money. Its like everything else in cologne, incompetence to the hightest degree.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the virus is under control by August, there's no way the city of Cologne will allow an event with 300,000 attendees to happen. The risk of the virus getting out of control again would be too high.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
And the extreme containment might not last that long, as such, we shouldn't create panic by cancelling events so far upfront.

The containment is far from being "extreme" and it's currently absolutely neccessary. I'm also not panicking, at all. I'm following the recommendations of being alert and having an event like this certainly rings the bells, considering the current situation and the info that is available to us.

Flattening the curve still implies people getting sick and creating a healthy base of people who can't get sick anymore.

I don't think you understand what herd immunity means and what it would take to achieve that. Just because a healthy base can't get sick, it doesn't mean that others can't get sick either, unless that healthy base is practically everyone.

Because by that time, of those 200.000 people, 100.000 people could already have had it. All depends on how many mild cases aren't being found right now.

Just a reminder that it took 1 person to cause a pandemic.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I find it seriously worrying how many still think this situation will be over with soonish. In my opinion large-scale public events should only be allowed to happen again once three things are achieved:

1: Having a treatment against the virus to some degree
2: Have a vaccine ready at large
3: The medium-term effects of people affected by it are researched and documented.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I find it seriously worrying how many still think this situation will be over with soonish. In my opinion large-scale public events should only be allowed to happen again once three things are achieved:

3: The medium-term effects of people affected by it are researched and documented.
I wouldn't be surprised if we have a couple of false starts were numbers start to settle down and people try to go about life as usual only to see things spike upward again. People think this is just going to blow over.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if we have a couple of false starts were numbers start to settle down and people try to go about life as usual only to see things spike upward again. People think this is just going to blow over.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either, this is something we as a species have to sit out properly. I know it won't happen but I still have hope that something else we learn from this is that it's not a good idea to have a large part of the economy tied to one country/area like we have right now with China and Asia to some degree.

And also that it's important to have a proper, long-term backup plan for economy and people should people be unable to go to work on a global or even just national scale where public events also simply can't happen. Too much of our system relies on things going absolutely issue-free to a large degree and when something like the Coronavirus happens everyone is unsure what to do and we need normalcy back or things collapse, that's not a good look.

Plus the Coronavirus is actually still quite tame all things considered, people should just imagine for a second if something with a truly high mortality rate would show up. Corona is a warning-shot towards our economy and I hope we take it seriously.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i think people are in for a rude awakening if they expect this whole thing to be over by august..

besides that, gamescom is awful as a normal visitor. i was there 2014, it was just awfully packed, can´t even imagine how packed this was last year for example. there are huge glass fronts in the building and when the sun is shining (which is 95% the case in august) the whole building is hot. it is just no fun at all when you don´t have a journalist card because when you have you can visit it a day or two before the public does.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, agreed. So many people saying we'll know more in a few months, or whatever. If there's any chance of a few sick people going into a crowd of 200K and spreading it, the thing should be cancelled.

I don't blame Gamescom for not cancelling this early, because why would they, but there do seem to be a lot of naive people who think some magical unidentifiable shift will happen in the next couple weeks.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, agreed. So many people saying we'll know more in a few months, or whatever. If there's any chance of a few sick people going into a crowd of 200K and spreading it, the thing should be cancelled.

I don't blame Gamescom for not cancelling this early, because why would they, but there do seem to be a lot of naive people who think some magical unidentifiable shift will happen in the next couple weeks.

Yeah I'm also not blaming them not cancelling yet but people should expect it getting cancelled moreso than not. Even a single person dying from this is a person too much.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all are acting like if they don't cancel now then they won't ever cancel it. If a couple of months pass and they need to cancel it they will. No reason to now since it's still a ways away.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Koelnmesse has now cancelled all trade fairs through the end of June 2020:

The agreement reached on 16 March 2020 between the German federal government and the governments of the German states - laying down common guidelines for dealing with the coronavirus epidemic and explicitly including the general closure of trade fairs and exhibitions - will affect planning security for Koelnmesse and the participants in the trade fairs in Cologne, far beyond the range of current scenarios.

Against this backdrop, the management team at Koelnmesse decided not to hold any Koelnmesse events of its own through the end of June 2020. This decision is supported by the Crisis Team of the City of Cologne, which at its meeting on 18 March 2020 also recommended cancelling trade fairs during this period.
Three of the twelve events affected have been moved to the fall, which leaves very little room to manoeuvre (if any).

The decision regarding gamescom is still up in the air

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
2020 is completely fucked, it is going to get canceled for the rest of the year too.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Fucking cancel that shit. I was at Gamescom for 3 years straight and it got worse every year and felt like chicken in a chicken coop.

This is a photo I took.

rHcOtls.jpg

Have fun with that.

Yep, no way that is happening without a vaccine in place

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Fucking cancel that shit. I was at Gamescom for 3 years straight and it got worse every year and felt like chicken in a chicken coop.

This is a photo I took.

rHcOtls.jpg

Have fun with that.

Whenever we finally make it through this, I honestly expect there will be new regulations that ban this kind of event, whether there is a current outbreak or not. We've known about diseases being spread at conventions for years, though obviously nothing remotely as serious as what we're dealing with now. Maximum occupancy for these convention centers will likely be severly reduced.