• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ETOH_vlXQAEufbN

So far, things will continue as planned. Gamescom takes place in the last week of August.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, August is relatively far away and a lot of countries expect things to improve (improve, not vanish) by May-June. They certainly have more time than most to decide.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, even if the situation has improved around summer, it's still a fair where a shiiiiiiitload of people fumble around with the same controllers / keyboards / mouses. Dunno if they can guarantee a smooth event with that even during a relaxed situation.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's the right move. August is almost 5 months away. No reason to cancel that far in advance. I'd say things will likely have improved by then. It won't be completely gone, but I think life begins to return to normalcy by then.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
lol, not gonna happen. European countries are currently preparing for a scenario where the virus spreads through society and they try to slow down the spread to a point where the healthcare infrastructure is able to keep up with it.
This won't be over by August. Not even close to over.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I don't expect public events of any kind (fairs, sports, concerts, etc.) to happen in any virus-hit country until late 2021. Things will only get worse in summer and fall, it would be so irresponsible not to cancel.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
If UK keeps doing nothing, this situation will last until next year. (If we get luck and find a vaccine)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, even if the situation has improved around summer, it's still a fair where a shiiiiiiitload of people fumble around with the same controllers / keyboards / mouses. Dunno if they can guarantee a smooth event with that even during a relaxed situation.

I have to agree. It's likely the worst will be gone by August, but still having that many people in such a closed area with everybody touching the same input devices, handles and whatot seems like a bad idea. At the same time, August is still 5 months away, so they are probably correct in taking some time before taking drastic decisions. Keep in mind many other organizations/companies/institutions are looking at May-June at potential "comebacks" too, as some estimates have that timeframe already show improvements. Let's hope they'll be right, because I have no doubt all these cancelations and delays are gonna be the death of certain companies and events.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Fucking cancel that shit. I was at Gamescom for 3 years straight and it got worse every year and felt like chicken in a chicken coop.

This is a photo I took.

rHcOtls.jpg

Have fun with that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Cancel it now, this virus started with just one person all it would take is one person to spread it and start this mess back up again.

The event is not more important than public safety. Shut it down.

Edit
This is a photo I took.

rHcOtls.jpg

Have fun with that.
Yeah fuck that shut it down, that's a new wave across the world all over again.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yuck, images like that one above have me appreaciate even more that i'm able to go there on media/business days. Those are full enough already for my liking, i would completely pass on the fair if i had to go on public days.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Cancel it now, this virus started with just one person all it would take is one person to spread it and start this mess back up again.

They are hoping people are immune enough by that time. If 90% is immune by that time, one person having it won't matter.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking cancel that shit. I was at Gamescom for 3 years straight and it got worse every year and felt like chicken in a chicken coop.

This is a photo I took.

rHcOtls.jpg

Have fun with that.

Why do they even allow it to get like that? That's not fun for anyone.

Also, that dude in the red checkered shirt near the front - I had that shirt about three years ago too!

Oct 29, 2017
No major gaming event will take place this year whatsoever. Including Gamescom.

Even if things do improve, the optics are so bad that it's not worth running them.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
No, shut it down... we have to stop this nonsense video games are not more important than human lives. We have to make sacrifices and so does the industry
You do realize you basically expect that in five months we still have no progress and we should still shut down half the public life? If that is the case, humanity is screwed. But it won't be. All the current containment measures are just to make sure people get sick slower so we get herd immunity without crashing the healthcare systems... It is not meant to prevent people getting sick.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Pre sales started the same day the E3 was cancelled. People that buy tickets now must be crazy.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Well July/August are the hottest months of the year there so we'll see how the situation evolves until then. That said considering the huge number of people that are usually present at the event it doesn't seem like a good idea even if things calm down considerably.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Edit

Yeah fuck that shut it down, that's a new wave across the world all over again.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad as it currently is since immune systems will have had time to build up a resistance to it.

No, shut it down... we have to stop this nonsense video games are not more important than human lives. We have to make sacrifices and so does the industry

It's 5 months down the road. If two months later and we're still in the same position or worse then of course they'll cancel it. They just don't have to rush it because they know they have time and they do.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question; what does someone think "the situation looking better" in august would even look like? There won't be a vaccine by then, so one person infected in a crowd of 200,000 is still a walking bomb.

Nothing substantial will change in the next few months. It will be cancelled.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
This will be the focus for at least a year. Self-quarantines will be re-entering exposure zones in waves. Five months is way too soon. This won't happen.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense, August is relatively far away and a lot of countries expect things to improve (improve, not vanish) by May-June. They certainly have more time than most to decide.
End of May is estimated to be the peak by some.

If UK keeps doing nothing, this situation will last until next year. (If we get luck and find a vaccine)
If the UK actually did nothing it'd rip through the country at an incredible rate and be gone as quickly as possible - with the maximum amount of death and suffering in its wake.

This situation absolutely will last until next year because that's the strategy to elongate the process as much as possible to allow care infrastructure to best cope.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it should be canceled unless by then the situation is completely, and I really mean completely 100% under control by then.

They are hoping people are immune enough by that time. If 90% is immune by that time, one person having it won't matter.

This plan might not work out as they think, as of this morning there are reports that even patients with light to almost no symptoms might get some forms of semi-permanent lung damage by it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Honest question; what does someone think "the situation looking better" in august would even look like?

Hopefully the number of new infected people dropping very significantly, I assume summer might help. Temperatures have been rising every year so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw new records again... not looking forward to it tbh, but if it helps in this case it's something I guess.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
As someone who has actually smelt Gamescom and lived to tell the tale there is no way it is happening lol

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't blame them for not cancelling right now but I think it's pretty obvious it'll get to that point eventually.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Even if they *did* hold it - which again, will never happen - which companies would be the ones brazen enough to disregard employee safety and have a presence / reveal there?
None

Gamers just...nerd culture in general just need to realize all your cons are canceled this year for public safety. Comic cons? Done, Gamescom? Done. Tokyogame show won't happen. It's not a simple cold that's going around.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

In our booths we clean the hardware between every session, but there is only so much you can do when so many people are around.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking this will all be sorted by August due to herd immunity.

They need to cancel it for this year. Come back next year nobody will miss it that much

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
In our booths we clean the hardware between every session, but there is only so much you can do when so many people are around.

Well the hosts at the Nintendo booths also have had sanitizing wipes with them so far, but you just can't clean the controllers like you should in less than a minute. It's not possible with so many people waiting.

I'll support their notion, though it leaves the controllers more yucky than before imo. ^^

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously public safety is a/the big concern but cancelling all public events for a year or more means thousands of people will be out of the job. It's not just about nerds wanting video game news, or people wanting to see bands or whatever.

There's major economic ramifications behind these decisions, people's livelihoods are going to be taken away.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's in Europe....so i have low confidence of them recovering from covid by August/September.