• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What're you REALLY here for, Era?

• DEATH STRANDING BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Votes: 944 64.5%
  • Gimme that Gears 5 Campaign goodness!

Votes: 242 16.5%
  • Call of Duty for me!

Votes: 109 7.4%
  • One new SEGA AAA IP, please!

Votes: 346 23.6%
  • I'm here for the Destiny stuff, boss

Votes: 127 8.7%
  • Predator Gameplay Reveal!

Votes: 116 7.9%
  • Updates on games I'm already playing...!

Votes: 156 10.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really like the lo-fi gameplay. And peeing. I like Kojima's insistence on not making action the focus, here.

And I'd be really, seriously excited for the storytelling ideas that pregnancy becoming a nigh-universal experience could bring, especially for male characters. However, even though I can see the point in it and did enjoy it for what it is, Mama's characterization is disappointing. She's bound to where she is because she has a baby. Oh and she had 2 minutes for her character depiction and we just had to learn she lactates in that timeframe. Something tells me Kojima isn't interested in nuanced depictions of gender here.

When she was introduced I thought she was affectionately called Mama because in the BRIDGES headquarters or whatever she provided support and perhaps leadership and guidance to everyone.

But no, she's a literal mom and apparently that's character-defining in a game where everybody's supposed to be carrying around babies.

I mean, I still like her character in isolation, but the boob grab and the way she was portrayed here makes her character a hard sell. It put a damper on the rest.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do people realize the 'wake up sheeple' act doesn't actually make you look smart?
How am I saying "wake up sheeple"? I just find a pissing mechanic getting applause and called genius by some here kinda ridiculous. But you do you. Let's see what else kind of genius Kojima has in store for us. I will be ashamed of my words and deeds yet again.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's just the next stage of this nonsense. We already have pissing getting applause, might as well take the next step. When someone jokes Kojima could literally deliver a turd and people would applaud, they weren't too far off it seems.

Gamer crowds applaud all sorts of weird and morbid shit. You are reading way too much into it. It got applause because it was the first bit of gameplay shown and because gamers cheer at immature shit sometimes.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is strange that for me the best things were those that didn't happen. I was afraid that many promising games would go the dark Epic path. But Iron Harvest, Everspace 2 and so on seem safe.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima: Here's Norman Reedus pissing and delivering boxes to a Geoff Keighley Watchtower

Fans:
tenor.gif
lol

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but I don't see how you can still be sold purely off of name when what we've see so far has looked as dull as it does. But hey, to each their own.
most people are in it for Kojima's wacky ride and so far it seems to deliver on that aspect. MGSV was a fanstastic GAME but lacked many of said wacky dumb dumb bullshit IMO. This seems to take the gameplay of MGSV and put in some weird dumb nonsense that Kojima fans, like myself, enjoy...and thats enough to be "hype".

You don't have to be hyped if its not hitting for you...I don't get the crowd that seems annoyed that it is appealing to them right now...wait for release and most if not all of your answers will be there. You don't have to buy it day 1...or even year 1...or even at all.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Geoff's weird fixation on Kojima is getting really creepy.

They don't seem like casual buddies at all. Weird Renfield energy coming off Geoff.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I get that, but I don't see how you can still be sold purely off of name when what we've see so far has looked as dull as it does. But hey, to each their own.
People are totally fucking obsessed with Kojima. Like more than with any other single person in the gaming industry. I cannot count the number of times I've read "Hideo Kojima is gamings first true auter". He made like 3 good games, it's pretty damn ridiculous.

Hooper

Oct 27, 2017
He slipped up and said "if everyone pees in the same spot"...did I miss this previously, or can we assume players are connected online connecting "strands" together? Something like all player progress in their game and then progress globally to another goal? Kinda of like the base building component of MG5.

This while strands genre has me super intrigued. Sounds like their is an online component that involves a global goal. At least that is what I'm taking away

They also showed a map of the US... Quick, are there any Konami offices in the US? What if every player pisses on Konami... at the same time

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It just doesn't feel right that a 'celebrity journalist' is in the game, and it's being promoted on their major platform. I dont' think it really needs it, to be honest. The game looks good enough on its own.
It's the guy whos been behind Kojima for almost his entire career. I don't see the problem

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Man, i love how amazing Kojima fans are at arguing in bad faith and with strawmen too.

"This didn't look good at all"

gets turned into "omg, you walk awhike without killing and explosions, what bad game" strawman, to make themselves look super smart and important.

It goes the other way

"I'm hyped for this game"

"why you are treating kojima like a god, you know it's terrible"

your taste isn't universal

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
That was so weird but I'm still 100% down. The visuals were amazing. The effects and the sound effects just as he was being scanned in that little outpost gave me tingles. Some crazy ass shit is going down in this game. Kojima is 100% holding back.

But yeah that was like wtf

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Weird af but also somehow the most enjoyable showing at this conference and it'll easily be the most talked about as well. Marketing done right!

I expected a boss fight or exploration with BTs appearing and norman fighting but this whacky stuff came out of nowhere lol. That was quite good.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was already fucked even without him being in it. I agree with you, it's like now Death Stranding HAS To win GOTY... like there is literally no other option right?

Death Stranding literally needs to bomb harder than Crackdown 3 critically and commercially for that to be even be a remote possibility.

And according to insiders the pre-orders are set to make this the highest selling Kojima gave ever.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
How am I saying "wake up sheeple"? I just find a pissing mechanic getting applause and called genius by some here kinda ridiculous. But you do you. Let's see what else kind of genius Kojima has in store for us. I will be ashamed of my words and deeds yet again.

I'm just pointing out that trying to frame you just not liking a thing as somehow being above it and that the people who do like as dumb, just makes you look pedantic and lame.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Was totally all in for the Death Stranding segment. Highlight of this show. The game's coming in a couple months. Really can't wait.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fine, but what I can't stand is the complete and utter dismissal of anyone having any part in the game outside of Kojima and his celebrity buddies. There was literally no mention of the team back in Japan who are sacrificing just as much if not more than Kojima to get the game finished; it's all just him because he's 'the boss'.
He sells the game, which also helps the team. I think everyone there understands this. Rock bands have their front man, too, but in the end the whole band benefits.

Also, Kojima has always given credit to his team(s) and developers. Lead artists became known along with him etc.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand it. You put out these incredibly enigmatic and rather cryptic trailers and the moment you step on stage and get asked to show gameplay (when it comes out in 3 months) you immediately go "Well, I'd rather show it at TGS!"

And then that? Pissing, a Geoff cameo, and comforting BB? Get outta here

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamer crowds applaud all sorts of weird and morbid shit. You are reading way too much into it. It got applause because it was the first bit of gameplay shown and because gamers cheer at immature shit sometimes.
You mean they could have shown anything and it would have gotten applause if it was the first thing they would see? But a lot of games elicit a worse reaction or none at all from the general gaming crowd when first shown. Remember Lawbreakers? Battleborn? Or half of the stuff shown today?
But those games weren't made by Kojima I guess. This sums it up pretty well:

Kojima: Here's Norman Reedus pissing and delivering boxes to a Geoff Keighley Watchtower

Fans:
tenor.gif

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I mean, it was already fucked even without him being in it. I agree with you, it's like now Death Stranding HAS To win GOTY... like there is literally no other option right?
If it happens, people will call Keighley out. If it doesn't happen, then people will claim the friendship is the reason why. He should have refused the cameo appearance -- especially since he has been a huge marketing factor for the game since it was announced. Now it all looks shady.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new stuff only from small studios, and big studios only had games that we had a good ammount of footage already with nothing that excited me, i dindt liked it overall, it was not great to me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People who hate this are why games can literally be nothing but Call of Duty.

Fuck those hundreds of indie devs and smaller developers doing unique things with the medium, Kojima is the only one who can make games that aren't part of the status quo. Those other games don't count!

Lol right, it's such a dumb argument lol

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I hurts my head trying to think what people want out of a Kojima game... like you go to Kojima games for the intense gameplay mechanics? There are so many game/shooters ect out there, I'd take this any day.

I want to be shook.

Not enough isometric Diablo action game clones or mediocre multiplayer gaas attempts or reboots, the people want more of that.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand it. You put out these incredibly enigmatic and rather cryptic trailers and the moment you step on stage and get asked to show gameplay (when it comes out in 3 months) you immediately go "Well, I'd rather show it at TGS!"

And then that? Pissing, a Geoff cameo, and comforting BB? Get outta here
you do understand that these info drops are planned in advance right?

Two character trailers and a Geoff reveal fits this setting. And TGS IIRC is the last big show before release.