• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
Either way it goes, being a gamer that plays what he wants, on what he wants, its going to be funny watching all the little console warriors kill each other when those Digital Foundry videos start dropping, going to be brutal lmfao.

And theres me playing games I don't want, on consoles I don't want all these years, like a bloody fool.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Jason Schreier and a developer from Ready At Dawn.
Makes sense.
Are you console warring?
There seem to be a lot of "neutral" insiders that "happen" to know things that are good news for Sony.
I am more concerned about PS5 destroying the baseline for multiplatform games :/
Good point.
According to Sony fans, Teraflops don't matter. It might therefore even make sense to keep the Xbox One S around for a few years.
It's 9 TF vs. 12 TF which is a huge downgrade.
Were the PS5 a 1080p machine, I would be less concerned. Unfortunately it isn't.
It would seem so!

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The PS5's architecture is undoubtably more advanced when it comes to the overall IO, and that's better for devs. That doesn't mean the PS5 is more powerful or anything like that, but it's pretty easy to see why it would be easier to work with. I don't know why Xbox fans feel the need to dispute these kinds of statements as if it's implying the Xbox isn't as good or something. Both systems are extremely similar and each have their own advantages in different areas.

perhaps because you said this "The PS5's architecture is undoubtably more advanced ". I don't think that is true

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So it has a better development suite than the Xbox which is essentially a PC. OK! This is just pure PR bs in my mind. Of course I am happy that both are easy to develop for.

Probably since it's API is literally written for Sony Hardware and not something program language wise is shared with a giant platform that introduces new hardware every 6 months that it has to be re-written or updated to accommodate.

Sony's API are literally just for their hardware, it's not like they have to write extra code for it to work on other hardware configs.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are. No one who actually knows anything is responding to this question.

The idea that none of these anonymous impressions are comparing the PS5 and XSX is a total fiction. The context given by Schrier was explicitly about developers telling him the teraflop advantage was going to be less meaningful that the PS5's I/O optimizations. People need to prepare themselves for the idea that developers may in fact simply believe the PS5 is a better platform overall.

That sounds like marketing nonsense. Since PS4 these consoles are PCs.

Marketing? From anonymous developer sources?

I don't think that is true

It absolutely is true. We know for a fact the PS5 SSD is twice as fast, it's decompression hardware is more than twice as fast and it amore dedicated I/O processing units. Coupled with all the devs telling journalists how much they like the PS5 there is little room left to doubt the PS5's superiority in this area. Believing anything else is just magical thinking.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Yup...kind of like George Lucas saying he could of done some of the Star Wars CG on the PS2 because it is so powerful or how the PS2 is so powerful it could launch nuclear warheads and other stuff. It is a lot of PR speak but in the end, based on the hard facts of the spec sheets we are getting two very powerful consoles.
Exactly, excited for what next Gen is gonna bring and the pc advancements too

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, user in junior account phase
Stop sealioning. Just say you don't believe it, and move on. Some of you are so transparent.
Transparent? Because I have common sense? Sure.
Some devs told me the PS5's architecture is actually worse than the PS3's. Which devs? I can't tell you, sorry.

Why should you believe what's written here without any reliable source to back it up. Sorry, but it's hard to trust game journalists/bloggers. Most of them are nothing but fanboys.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I understand people's distrust but lol, there is no big conspiracy or attempt to reverse the narrative, if it really is true, and the PS5 having a better architecture, thats it, does not mean that the XSX is bad or anything like that. If you don't trust Jason or Jeff say so, it is fairer, although it is strange at some point that people will get excited about a leak based on their word to now say that they are lying

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't care which one is the more potent console (i'm getting both day 1 as usual) but we're going to hear about it over the next generation and if one console does stuff the other can't well...

I'm really looking forward to the 180s if PS5 games look better than XSXs or the other way around. Each group will have "great" resaons why their sauce isn't as potent as they touted before.

Some devs told me the PS5's architecture is actually worse than the PS3's. Which devs? I can't tell you, sorry.

Why should you believe what's written here without any reliable source to back what they say?

Don't you have an inkling of understanding how journalism works?

If they tell you their sources these sources get in trouble with ther bosses because they most likely signed a nda forbidding them exactly this. And now the journalists don't ever get another person to speak to them because they're afraid of being named.

In your wolrd we wouldn't ever get to know anything about what's happening behind closed doors.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If its now easier to develop for, hopefully, those ND Devs will finally be able to see their kids.

/s

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The I/O integration is quite a stunning technical achievement and I hope PC adopts something similar.

It's not entirely obvious that they can. The I/O situation on the PS5 is optimized around the safe assumption that the vast majority of the time you're dealing with pre-packaged multi-gigabyte read-only images. On a PC you need to deal efficiently with a more balanced mix of reads and writes as well as handling large numbers of potentially tiny files. As is often the case, a specialized solution can work exceedingly well compared to a general-purpose solution.

Don't get me wrong: PCs will outperform these consoles even in I/O before long. It's just that the hardware and software required to do so is going to start out more complex and expensive, and will therefore take much longer to get to the point where a developer can count on end users having it.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that none of these anonymous impressions are comparing the PS5 and XSX is a total fiction. The context given by Schrier was explicitly about developers telling him the teraflop advantage was going to be less meaningful that the PS5's I/O optimizations. People need to prepare themselves for the idea that developers may in fact simply believe the PS5 is a better platform overall.

Marketing? From anonymous developer sources?

It absolutely is true. We know for a fact the PS5 SSD is twice as fast, it's decompression hardware is more than twice as fast and it amore dedicated I/O processing units. Coupled with all the devs telling journalists how much they like the PS5 there is little room left to doubt the PS5's superiority in this area. Believing anything else is just magical thinking.
Look a former ps dev saying the Xbox series x is a beast. https://developer-tech.com/news/2020/apr/24/playstation-dev-xbox-series-x-compared-ps5/

Your gonna find these comments coming from everywhere praising each console

Dec 8, 2018

Why should you believe what's written here without any reliable source to back it up. Sorry, but it's hard to trust game journalists/bloggers. Most of them are nothing but fanboys.

This is from an article by Jeff Grubb. If you missed who he is he is the one who got the dates for not only Nintendo directs spot on before they were even announced, the PS5 reveal right and have been right about basically everything he said.

Do you think he is a basic fanboy or that perhaps it takes someone with some actual knowledge and connection within the industry to get all of these things right?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's so strange to me that some people are just unable to accept the idea that the PS5 might have real advantages over the Xbox (which has real advantages of its own). It's not like they totally forgot about tflops when they were designing the thing. They decided to focus more on other aspects of the hardware because they made a different value proposition than Microsoft did. Whose approach was the better one remains to be seen, but people need to stop acting like Sony completely shit the bed just because a single number on their spec sheet is lower than the competition's.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Look a former ps dev saying the Xbox series x is a beast.
Chris Grannell does not have a Devkit or informations regarding the next generation of consoles so its hard to find anything that he says reliable. Of course you can trust him based on his past as gamedev, I wouldnt judge you.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we hear same "Best shit ever!" hype from devs when current-gen was approaching?

To me that is just indication that HW and SW has kept evolving and improving, which is logical.
It's not a given that hardware keeps developers happy as technology evolves/improves. Another PS3 could happen if they don't consider ease of use or have bottlenecks or something. PS4 was a big improvement, but the slow HDD & relatively weak CPU were still acknowledged as issues early on.

Dec 8, 2018
Look a former ps dev saying the Xbox series x is a beast. https://developer-tech.com/news/2020/apr/24/playstation-dev-xbox-series-x-compared-ps5/

Ffs can people stop posting this guy's opinions.

He is NOT a dev working on neither Xbox or Sony.

He has NOT been a developer for years.

He IS a proven Xbox fanboy.

If this is the "Xbox to" you want to bring up as some kind of counter just don't.

Oct 25, 2017

You're not displaying any common sense here. You're just being defensive and playing dumb about the nature of anonymous sources. It's why I said if you don't believe it, just move on.

If *I* didn't find something credible I wouldn't sit around poking and prodding people on it, I'd move on and ignore it. But you need to fight to make sure everybody else sees it the same way as you... hence your sealioning.

Who needs a PR team when you have an army of fanboys.

People have now managed to convince themselves that variable clock rate is actually better than a fixed one.

I mean come on, we all know why Sony did this. They were caught off guard and the only solution they had was this variable shit to make their specs look less terrible.

Why should you be taken seriously?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of people on this forum that detest the other side of gaming depending on which brand they like. It becomes a more noticeable thing when you see them jump in to defend their brand no matter what is said. They don't even try to hide the bias and the joy they get from news that makes it seem like their brand is better.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm extremely excited for more news as well ... and I fear posting anything isn't beaming optimism to this article, but here goes.

What we know about the PS5 so far is what's inside the system and a few other details. Like the Xbox Series X, the PS5 features AMD hardware. This includes a Zen 2 CPU and a Navi GPU. The console also has a super-fast PCIe 4.0 SSD and a data-transfer architecture to match. But the acronyms and initialisms don't really matter.
These specs have been known for quite some time.

What you need to know is that the PS5 has significantly more GPU power and a massive leap in CPU and data throughput compared to the current generation.
Yes, it sure does. But how does it compare to the XSX?

On top of all that, developers and publishers continue to praise the design of the PS5. Some have told GamesBeat that it has a better architecture than any console in history. So studios may find it a joy to work with.
Well yeah, we've read countless takes from developers that have praised the design. Can we get something that matches the 2nd quote?

We also got a good look at the DualSense, which is the gamepad for the PlayStation 5. It has motorized triggers that can provide variable resistance depending on in-game context. Sony also included modern haptics to enable players to "feel" games.
Forget the controller. Get back to the topic of the PS5 specs.

That's about it when it comes to what we know. So Sony still has a lot it could share next week.
You're done? That's all you've got for us?

I'm ready to dial the fuck IN when they start dropping information on us in June. I guess my question is how this article is getting so much attention? Why are people even arguing? This is nothing more than a surface level recap of the most basic information relating to the specs / architecture of the console. I get the thirst for stuff to discuss, but what new information even exists here? I saw the thread title and the number of responses and expected something ... new?

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speechless. Many people cant stand Sony receiving good words.
What are you talking about? PS5 (or Series X) receiving good news is good news. This, on the other hand is just hearsay at best.
If you don't really care about what's been written and "good news" is all you want then, you should visit N4G.com or PS5 reddit more often.
This is from an article by Jeff Grubb. If you missed who he is he is the one who got the dates for not only Nintendo directs spot on before they were even announced, the PS5 reveal right and have been right about basically everything he said.

Do you think he is a basic fanboy or that perhaps it takes someone with some actual knowledge and connection within the industry to get all of these things right?
I should have paid more attention then, I didn't know it was written by Jeff. He seems to have contacts withing the industry (unlike many others who call themselves game journalists) so I trust what he says.
Thanks.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That's entirely possible. But also, you're reading into vague statements on the internet and applying your own biases on it. I mean... eh. People need to prepare for the idea that we have no idea what people will think about these kits for quite some time. And people who insist on console warring it up are going to believe whatever they want to believe. Doesn't seem productive to try to have these conversations lol

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's rare. How many people you know that enjoy their job? Now consider the jobs mentioned here is in an industry notorious for crunch. It's a weird thing to say. It's the author's words though. No dev actually said that

If game developers didn't enjoy making games then there would be no game developers.

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not displaying any common sense here. You're just being defensive and playing dumb about the nature of anonymous sources. It's why I said if you don't believe it, just move on.

If *I* didn't find something credible I wouldn't sit around poking and prodding people on it, I'd move on and ignore it. But you need to fight to make sure everybody else sees it the same way as you... hence your sealioning.

Why should you be taken seriously?
Maybe you should take your own advice and stop stalking or responding to my comments.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
as a frame pacing high end snobby pc enthusiast who makes own linux builds to do at time I agree.

The moment cerny started detailing how the power, cpu and gpu now work based on load need him and sony earned mylaunch dollars 3 times over.

The architecture and its tuning interest me vastly more than any tech demo will. Best architecture post gamecube period