• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rafroel

Oct 28, 2017
Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel/3. Really enjoyed 1, have repeatedly tried to get into the rest... they're just not funny or very fun after a few hours ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3 - I just dont like that game.

Bought it on PS4, sold it
Played it on Xbox, dropped it
Bought it on Switch, managed to get a couple of hours longer thanks to portability

So i've really given it a try.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Okami. I own it on PS2, Wii, PS3 and Switch and I've never made it past the first few hours.
I also have Okamiden on DS for when I do manage to get through it.

Oct 29, 2017
Breath of The Wild and The Witcher 3.

Really wish I could enjoy BoTW as much as so many others have. Not liking TW3 doesn't bother me much now, LOL.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3
Hollow Knight
Final Fantasy XV
Assassins Creed (only tried the first one to be fair)
Xenoblade (every single one of them)
Fire Emblem three houses
Every Call of Duty after MW3

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV.

I preordered ARR right before it came out, got to level 30 and could finally go with the black mage job. But I ended up putting it down due to a combo of MMO fatigue and a couple of big life changes.

Didn't pick it up again until a year and a half ago after hearing so many good things about the game. Made it to 30 again and became a dragoon but I was so bored of the main quests and having to constantly level up with side activities just to get to the next part of the story that either didn't build upon the story that much or felt inconsequential.

I got into it again this past week and I'm already 49 as a dragoon again (started fresh). I think the main quests got streamlined? Felt really engaging and I'm excited to move onto the expansions soon. The one thing I'm sad about is I didn't realize the fat black chocobo was only tied to a character, not account (really stupid IMO) so now I just have a plain vanilla chocobo.

Anyway I'm hoping to stick with it all the way this time. Gonna become a samurai soon! Hopefully I don't get fatigue soon again, wish me luck
So weird I'm doing the same thing this week, lol. Dropped it 3 times before. I've got Dragoon up to 40's and started on a Paladin because the extra xp boost from a preferred server is going to waste as my story level is only late 20's. I was able to get my PAL up to the story level in a couple of hours.

I checked the MSQ list online and oh boy... dunno if I'll see it through cause it is looooong but I'm gonna try. End game looks so effing good.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
The Division 2. I've tried to get into it multiple times, even bought the expansion on sale. Just doesn't click.

Souls games. Run, roll, attack, repeat. Just isn't for me.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Bloodborne. I've tried to get into the game, the story, but it has something that turns me off completely but I can't really identify what it is.

RDR 2. I can't stand how slow it is at the begining. If the game gets a next gen patch I'll give it another chance.

Deleted member 67044

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 27, 2020
Any Assassins Creed game ever. I've tried, I've bought many of them but I can't get into them. The gameplay loop is so boring.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
This is Witcher 3 for me. Just cant do it. I really liked the netflix show too and that got me to retry the game but i always fall off of it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The Borderlands games, took me like 5 or 6 full retries in order to get through the first and I've tried 2 around the same amount and just can't ever enjoy it enough to finish.

I get like 5 hours in each time and gtfo. I keep trying because I like the aesthetic and idea of the games.

Anything that is considered a rouguelike, I own almost all of the best ones and want to be able to enjoy them but just don't ever time.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Vagrant Story is kind of one. First time because i couldn't get the combat system. The other 2 times because i just can't get over the slow menus and the need to change weapon all the time between different types of enemies. A weapon change shortcut button would do wonders.

Parasite Eve 1 is another one, always get out of fuel after some hours, despite being a huge fan of the second game. I'm thinking of trying it again soon btw.

The Lufia series in general as well. Lufia 2 looks fun in theory but i can't just feel engaged enough to continue after the first dungeon.

Edit: Forgot about Fallout: New Vegas. I really enjoy the setting and the lore and all, but i just hate the Bethesda style of open world. The combat being completely whatever doesn't help either.

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
Dota 2, despite me thinking it's one of the best competitive games ever created, with immense charm and it's tons of fun.

It's probably because Gabe makes new players play 100 hours of unranked team games before we can play with people of our skill level in ranked mode.
100hours of torture..

Last edited:

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3, Borderlands, Souls games and I'm pretty much done with ubisoft open world games ie assassins creed, watch dogs, far cry etc

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I keep working at REALLY having a great time wi MHWorld but I struggle every time for some reason or another. Right now it's just built up habits of movement from prior titles making it less enjoyable. Other factors too but that's a big one and I'm working at it. Would be 4th attempt now

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Yakuza Zero. I've tried it probably three times, get at the most three hours in, then call it. I've seen some people around say to stick with it and I've made it a goal to do so at one point.

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
Also yes The Witcher 3 I've tried twice now once on console the other on PC. That combat just plain sucks, and it's not very immersive

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Horizon Zero Dawn. I have tried to get into it twice but I just don't like the gameplay (world and story are good). Another one is Hollow Knight. People seem to love that game but I just don't get it. Other games I have tried to like at least twice: Metal Gear Solid 5, Evil Within and Bloodborne.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Breath of the Wild.

Tried 3 times....

Still doesn't grab me like past Zelda games have.
Fuck the weapon breaking system is all I have to say.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

I did complete Ocarina and Majora, which I mostly enjoyed, but I ended up dropping Wind Waker almost every time I attempted it. I believe the furthest I got was the triforce shards. And for Twilight Princess, I could barely get past the introduction and first couple hours. I just assumed that the direction of 3D Zelda was just not my thing anymore, so I didn't even bother with Skyward Sword and instead just stuck with the 2D/handheld games.

It wasn't until Breath of the Wild that I got back into console Zelda, but that game feels far closer to the 2D roots to me.

Interesting! I significantly prefer 3D Zelda over 2D, which I think was one of the bigger reasons for me not liking BOTW as much (since it was closer to a 3D Zelda 1 than it was Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker) as many did.

That being said, man do I love Oracle of Ages and A Link Between Worlds.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Sea of Thieves. It's a game that hates solo players, though you can spend money on servers to get a decent experience. All I ever get is harassment from crewed ships and lost progress. It's such a hateful game and I regret every time I give it another shot.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne is probably the biggest game that fits this for me.

To a lesser extent, Final Fantasy 14.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
1. Octopath Traveler. Tried 3 times with a different starting character. Each time put in around 30+ hours and then would lose interest, stop for a few months and try again later after forgetting where I was in the game. The game is so repetitive and predictable in how the stories play out and something about the combat bothers me (probably something about how when I played I delayed breaking enemies because their counterattack post-break might change the tides too quickly and or cause too many annoying status effects).

2. Also, from software games (namely, the ones I've played being original Demons's Souls and Bloodborne). The games are kind of obtuse, dying at bosses is painful specifically, due to load times, and having to backtrack through the level. My viewpoint on combat (most likely ignorant as I haven't put in all that much time in learning attack patterns of enemies/bosses in these games) pushes me away from wanting to continue to play them i.e. that I view combat as random alternating between fast/immediate enemy attacks requiring immediate response (e.g. rolling because you saw them twitch) and slow/delayed enemy attacks that beat the "fast response". Somehow, I perceive this pattern as unfair and too random/RPS-like.

With next gen utilizing SSD for quick load times, I think I'll be much more willing to accept death when playing from software games.

3. Horizon Zero Dawn. This doesn't really count as I've only tried once, but I played a few hours and the way items/crafting works seems uninteresting compared to Breath of the Wild. It's probably because I don't yet understand the items or have a sense of their value or the item user interface, but I feel nothing when I pick up one item vs another.

Last edited:

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn. Must've tried two or three times to get into it, including once this year, but never made it very far. It's the type of Ubisoftian open world that I got bored with 10 years ago.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV. I've lost count how many times I tried to get into since Day 1. Most recently I bought the Royal upgrade to experience it in its final form – even rewatched Kingsglaive. Nope. I fell off after 8 or so hours.

I might have one more shot in me at some point with it running at a locked 60fps on PS5.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
FF7. At this point I'm pretty familiar with the whole story and I'm a big fan of Crisis Core and the remake but the furthest I ever get is right around the start of the second disc. My most recent attempt on Switch got me to the Great Glacier. I'm wondering if maybe I should just turn on the easy battles and power my way through it just so I can say to myself that I've finished it "properly."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Mania. The game feels so right but the levels do nothing but frustrate me, and yes, I still enjoy 1-3.

Oct 28, 2017
Half Life Alyx. I grew up with the HL hype and loved 1,2 and everything that came with it.

I was really excited for Alyx and it is really cool butttttt I'm just not into VR? The controls are wonky, the teleporting is goofy, I get all tangled up in wires trying to react in gun fights. Playing it just feels like a total chore. I just don't enjoy VR. I'm not advocating for Alyx to be released without VR as I think that would make it an AWFUL game. The experience is cool, I can respect it, but it's just not for me.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tried 5 times to get into Breath of the Wild.

Each subsequent playthrough just made me more annoyed with the game so I've given up. Maybe sequel changes my mind? I dunno. I sorta wish the next game was another standalone and not a sequel. At least be crazy different like Majora's Mask is...

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Roguelikes in general. I always get a new one when I hear it's acclaimed and each time the same thing happens - I do like two runs and get decently far, then can't be fucked replaying an entire hour long section of game any more times until I beat it. I love it when they keep a decent amount of progression and that's fun af, but even many Roguelites don't keep enough to be encouraging or useful. Still got Hades on my list to check out, and I'm hoping having an actual story and character development is enough to keep me going with it. Otherwise I think I'm about done with the genre and won't try it out again.

May 10, 2018
I would guess for me at the moment it's Sekiro.

It used to be Bloodborne but I actually gave that another chance and now all I have left besides the DLC are 4 more bosses.

I say I'll give Sekiro another chance but the thing is you can't really grind in Sekiro like in Bloodborne so I know I can't take it on the same way.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Final Fantasy XIV is the only game that meets this criteria for me. I've put ~40 hours into it on 3 different occasions, but that seems to be my limit. I don't actively dislike it or anything, I just lose all interest. It's a shame because my girlfriend is obsessed with it so it'd be fun to play together.