• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think I've started Bully 2-3 times and never made it past the first couple hours. The lack of cloud save on Steam really hurt it since I really don't want to start from scratch again.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Skyrim and Witcher 3 are my two biggest culprits. I just get too sidetracked when I know I should just get the bloody main story done. I will get there…one day.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I guess it's a bit of a cheat to mention a rogue like, but it's Spelunky. I like the game but, god, do I suck at it like nobody else. I've never got past the ice area.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Any Elder Scrolls game, but especially Morrowind.
I've lost count of how many new saves I've started over the years, across multiple consoles and PCs, in multiple countries.
That main quest just isn't that compelling to me, I decide I'm going to finish it this time around but get sidetracked for hours on random other missions or discoveries or trying to break the game until I get bored, then install new mods and start over again.

I think the furthest into the main story I remember getting to was shortly after meeting the last dwemer.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Mass Effect Andromeda. 3 attempts so far.

I've played through the original trilogy about a dozen times. At least. I lost count.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3... 6 times. Still not for me, unfortunately. I want to love it.

This is me. I've tried playing it so many times and, despite loving RPGs, find Witcher 3 to pretty much be an endless list of chores, saddled with a bad combat system, but I know I'm not in the majority here. I just don't get why people like it other than the fact that's it's an utterly huge amount of content, but... there ya go.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim

Hail to the King, if they ever update the VR version I might go back again lol

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Returnal, god I hate rogue likes. There is an awesome game buried in there though

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles DE. I've started this game at least 7-8 times now. Each time the over complicated battle system and litany of side quest get distracting and I move on.

I think I've given up on it at this point.

Maroon Cat

Jul 9, 2022
This is me. I've tried playing it so many times and, despite loving RPGs, find Witcher 3 to pretty much be an endless list of chores, saddled with a bad combat system, but I know I'm not in the majority here. I just don't get why people like it other than the fact that's it's an utterly huge amount of content, but... there ya go.

While I found the combat to be bad, I personally enjoyed its quests and open world activities because of its strong storytelling and atmosphere. But similarly, I just can't break through the beginning.

TW3 is a game I'm suppose to like, I've completed TW1 and TW2 several times and love them, but there is something about its design or structure that I can't pinpoint which makes me drop the game.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Persona 4. I always get to early summer and just lose interest. Still think it's a cool game but it just doesn't entirely click for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Majora's Mask, I've tried to play it so many times, and give up right around the first dungeon. When MM3D came out I actually made it past the second dungeon, then I just never picked the game back up.

It sucks, I love a lot of things about MM, but actually playing it is impossible. It just doesn't keep my attention, I think the time system is too overwhelming for me.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Bioshock. I always play it for a couple hours and then stop, for whatever reason. I've started it 4 or 5 times at this point.

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 and Witcher 3 are my top "I want to love you, but I can't" games. :(

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Horizon Zero Dawn. I've tried three times now to get into it, and I just can't do it.

I always end up dropping it shortly after becoming a Seeker. I'm not someone who hates on open world games, but HZD feels like the worst parts of the genre rolled into one imo. It's checklisty, it doesn't feel good to traverse, and it's janky as hell. Even the graphics (while no doubt technically impressive) are so visually noisy that it just looks messy imo. And robot dinosaurs aren't the inherent appeal for me that they seem to be for others.

I had hoped that the enhancement patch for PS5 would solve some of these issues. Maybe at 4k, the visuals would have more clarity? Maybe at 60fps, it would feel better? I did get farther than I ever had before (arrived in Meridian), but it alleviate any of the problems I had with the game.

It's a shame, because the lore of the world does seem interesting. Can't say I was engaged in the main story, but I really enjoyed tracking down remnants of the old world.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
The Witcher 3 I started it twice on PS4 but just didn't have it in me to finish I'll Try again when the next port releases.

Dragon Age Inquisition: I still wanna play this but every time I get about 10 hrs in and get bored.

Jun 25, 2022
Witcher 3 and wow at the amount of people who also never finished this game. For me my main issue with the game is its combat. If it was even remotely fun I'd have finished the game already, probably years ago. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the game is when I'll never be able to see because of the tedious and extremely unfun combat mechanics.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bayonetta 1. Tried starting it on maybe 3 different occasions, played for a few hours each time, and then fell off it. Not particularly sure why. Combat seems fun enough, but maybe that style of action game just doesn't grab me. Kind of ran into the same issues with DMC games as well.

I do have the collection on Switch, so may give it another shot before 3 comes out, if time allows.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Super Mario Sunshine and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker back in the day. I want to revisit them at some point.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
The two below come to mind real quick

-Burned myself out trying to 100 all monster kills. HINT: don't do that
maxresdefault.jpg
star-ocean-4-comparison-9.jpg

Game is pretty damn tough.
OfknUBTvi7tNqTzoRAxfxBN4aTiPt72x.png
ForsakenTidyArkshell-size_restricted.gif

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Soul Reaver, on paper this game is absolutely one I should enjoy but I just cant ever finish it. I mean I like the setting, the dual worlds and exploration, even the idea behind having to deal a fatal blow to the enemies but I have never finished the game despite trying to many times. I usually get about half way and just kinda lose interest or give up.

The other one for me is FF6 which I dont really understand why I cant finish it because I have completed earlier games in the series with lesser stories and mechanics.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 FES. Restarted 3 times and quit in the same part 3 times. Ended up just watching a LP so I can fully enjoy the story without playing the boring dungeons.

xXJonoXx

Jun 17, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2

I have started it three times and stopped every time at the same place. Once on PS4 when it came out, once on PC in 2020, and recently when I built a new PC. Always stop at the same place, the first town you get to after the train robbery, the game opens up to let you do what you want and I just feel like it's overwhelming on what to do next so I just stop and never come back to it

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Witcher 3

Started about 4 times now. Get 10-25 hours in, always at least finish the Red Baron quest line

Then I quit for some reason
This is me to a T. Literally the same part. I've now convinced myself to wait for the PS5 upgrade and try again but Ik deep in my heart that it just isn't meant to be.

Bloodborne - The thing about Bloodborne is, I played it the first time and hated it. Then saw someone on twitch played it, got a little farther, got distracted and bounced off. Then felt in the mood again, tried it, got farther but got distracted by another shiny new object and just haven't willed myself to go back. Whats funny is, I started Demon Souls PS5 and am I enjoying that a lot more so maybe if I actually finish that one I'll go back a final time and actually finish it.

Wolfenstein New Order, Days Gone, Borderlands 3, Watch Dogs 2, and Persona 5 round out my list

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
OK this doesn't quite count, but Dragon Age Origins.

Finished once on xbox 360 in 2009.

Restarted probably 87 times in the years since.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
xenoblade chronicles

i really want to be able to play it, but every time i try i get so bogged down by what feels like systems bloat or a meandering story or my own burnout from trying to uncover the whole map and do all the sidequests before moving on and i stop long before what i've been told is the halfway point

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Destiny 2. Start playing for a couple of hours.
Gun play draws me in. Then i feel completely lost and stop playing. Done that at least 5 times.
Really hope to see a new game from Bungie in the near future.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
GTA V

Ps3. Never beat it but put in a decent amount of time.

Xbox one. HD upgrade! Got very close to beating it.

PC loaded it up, played a few missions…. Noped out.

Ive never beat the game. On pc i thought, wow… 60+ fps and maxed out!! This should be awesome!!! Then i realized that the missions aint that fun, the gunplay is meh, and i dont want to do that all over again. Quit and went to play rocket league instead.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Xenoblade 1, and with the hype for the third I will restart the first one today for the fifth time ...

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Broforce

I really enjoy the game, and feel that I can replay it over and over again, until that last part that's so difficult that it's just frustrating.
And since I feel no need to actually beat it just for the sake of it, I pretty much just stop there, and then replay it from the start again at some other point.