• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I haven't participated in these threads before. Here's what I finished in October:
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Moss
  • Halo 4
  • ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission
  • Resident Evil VII
Finishing Resident Evil VII on Halloween put me at 40 completed games for the year—my original goal. I've decided to shoot for 52. 6 in each month will be tricky, but not impossible. I think I have it planned out to achieve it.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Managed to get 3 done which I'm quite happy with.

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) - Platinum Trophy
Halo 3 (PC) - Legendary playthrough
Halo 3: ODST (PC) - Legendary playthrough

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Super Mario Sunshine, I've finally got a chance to give this game another try, and my experience fits what to be expected from a mainline Mario game, a spectacular one. 9/10
  2. Crash Bandicoot 4, now this must be the surprise of the year for me; they must've studied what made the trilogy so beloved and they've managed to make exactly more of it. Though, it could've been shorter and better with cutting its price. 8/10
  3. BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode 1 7/10
  4. 2064: Read Only Memories 6.5/10
  5. Raji: An Ancient Epic 6.5/10

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Halo 3 ODST
Cube Escape: Seasons
Cube Escape: The Lake
Cube Escape: Arles
Brutal Legend
Cube Escape: Harvey's Box

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
  1. Yakuza 6 - a fitting end to Kiryu's story. Shed a few tears. 8/10
  2. Nioh 2 DLC 2 - fantastic weapon, loads of fun with the new mechanism 9/10
  3. GoT Legends Story only - fun, but much prefer the main story experience. 8/10
Spent most of my gaming time flying sims in VR this month so not much else done. Yakuza 6 was completed it on the first of the month.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
October was a pretty busy month for me.

Night in the Woods: Disappointing. I can see why many people love this game, but it was not for me. There are some great moments between the characters, but gameplay (or the lack of it) really drags the game down. NitW is pretty much the only game that almost put me to sleep while playing. It also would have been nice to be able to experience all the activies with your friend within one single playthrough. IMO this game would have been better in a different format (visual novel maybe).
God of War (PS4): After having played Spider-Man and HZD, I was afraid I won't be able to enjoy this as much when I realized GoW is another game with an open world(-ish) map, cinematic approach, skill trees, side quests and collectibles. But gameplay is just excellent. Kratos' axe is one of the best weapons in gaming and combined with all the other mechanics it makes combat so much fun that I tackled all the optional fights. I really liked the puzzles too, even if they felt a bit out of place in a GoW game. If it wasn't for the crouching/ walking/ climbing sequences to avoid loading screens, pacing would have been perfect. From a narrative perspective, I enjoyed the story as well but the game's true highlights are the characters. Everyone who plays a somewhat important role is extremely well written (and very well dubbed in the German version). Atreus deserves a special mention - whoever came up with the idea to make him a main character should receive the red carpet treatment at Sony's offices.
A fisherman's tale: This game had so much potential with its unique, multi-dimensional gameplay concept that unfortunately only leads to a few cool moments. I thought they should have done so much more with this mechanic, the possibilites are endless and I could imagine many mind-bending puzzles but instead, it felt like a gimmick thoughout the game. Speaking of it, the game is incredibly short. It took me around two hours, but looking at steam reviews and youtube walkthroughs, many people finished it in just one hour. It also didn't help that I encountered several problems on PSVR like items glitching, this might have been problems with my setup though (camera placement).
Rayman Legends: I started this in spring but lost interest for some reason. After finally finishing it this week, I remember why. Without any doubt, it is a quality game. Rayman controls great, I appreciate the art style just as the level design, which encourages multiple replays to get all the collectibles. But it feels too similar to Rayman Origins, there are barely any surprises. People often mention New Super Mario Bros as a dull and stale game series, but Rayman made me feel this way after just having played two games years apart from one another.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X-2
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Genshin Impact - kinda, finished main contents pre-update and I've had my fill.

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up replaying some games this month, so I didn't really make a dent in my backlog. Oh well.
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  • Super Mario Odyssey (replayed)
  • Sonic Unleashed (replayed)

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 - Finished the first playthrough in almost 20 years. It's still really good. A great step towards the series highlight FF9.

Control: Foundation DLC & AWE DLC - Great DLC packs to an amazing game. The tie-ins to Alan Wake wasn't perfect but if it's considered a teaser to AW 2 i'll take it. The lack of meaningful upgrades makes the fetch quests and fights total bullshit.. but at least it wasn't any harder than the regular game.

Timodus

Oct 27, 2017
5.10. Mad Max (PS4) - platinum trophy
27.10. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
1. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
4. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
5. CoD: MW 3
6. Portal 2
7. Siren Blood Curse
8. Killzone 3
9. Resistance 3
10. Sly Cooper
11. Batman: Arkham Origins
12. Asura's Wrath
13. Folklore
14. Tell Me Why
15. Carrion

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
In October I beat:
  • Resident Evil 2 (remake)
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Resident Evil 3 (remake)
  • MediEvil (remake)
I now realise that these are fitting for October/Halloween, but I didn't do that on purpose at all. It just happened to be that I finally got into RE2, then immediately bought RE3. MediEvil I played because it is in PS Now

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
Pokemon Sword DLC: The Frozen Tundra
Paradise Killer
Carrion

Oct 28, 2020
  • Super Mario 64 - Got 120 stars for the first time!
  • Super Mario Sunshine - Finished with around 80 shines. Definitely my least favourite 3d Mario game but still a fun experience.
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - I think I started this game back in August and just finished it. Took a while to get going but it had me hooked when it did. Really enjoyed the battle system and getting to know all the characters and I'm itching to play the next part to see where the story goes from here.
  • Dead Rising 2 - Just as silly and fun as I remember it. Got to use the DLC costumes this time which made the beginning much easier. Planning on going through Case Zero and Case West once I get my Series X

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Was really busy last month so I only had the time to beat one short game plus the DLC for a different one.

Finished:
Skikhondo: Soul Eater (Xbox One) - Some of the art was gorgeous, solid bosses and bullet patterns but the enemy and stage variety is pretty poor and it lacks a bit of a unique hook. Good.
Marvel's Spider-Man - The City That Never Sleeps DLC (PS4) - Very much "more of the same" compared to the base game for better and worse. Ended up 100%-ing it and I had fun but the street crimes had already gotten old at the halfway point of the base game so I didn't really need more of those. The other side activities and story missions were great though. Good overall and I expect to replay it all in the remastered version eventually.

EasyCompany

Jan 28, 2018
Finished:
Hollow Knight - 10/10. After years of seeing the reverence people have for Hollow Knight, I finally gave it a shot. It took me a little bit to get what the fuss was about, but once I got a handle on the charms and unlocked some abilities, I couldn't put it down. Definitely a game-of-the-generation for me and the swan song to my Xbox One.

Played:
Halo MCC, Ticket to Ride, Tekken 7. Just waiting for the next gen at this point.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I finished a good amount of games last month.
  1. No One Lives Under the Lighthouse (6/10)
  2. Shadow of the Colossus Remake (Replay, 8.5/10)
  3. Silent Hill 4: The Room (6/10)
  4. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (9/10)
  5. Maid of Sker (6.5/10)
  6. Dead Space (Replay, 9/10)
  7. Amnesia: Rebirth (6/10)
  8. Hades (9.5/10)
Hades is my GOTY so far, and 13 Sentinels my #2. Lots of disappointingly mediocre horror games this year unfortunately... especially Amnesia: Rebirth. Not even close to the original.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
- Super Mario 64 - October 4
- Tiny Dangerous Dungeons - Oct 6
- LoH: Song of the Ocean - Oct 7
- LoH: Trails in the Sky FC - Oct 15 (Replay)
- LoH: Trails in the Sky SC - Oct 24 (Replay)

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
DuckTales (NES) - 3/5

Capable, charming platformer from Capcom. On the easy side overall, probably because it's a licensed game meant for a younger audience, but has reasonably solid and entertaining mechanics (the pogo jump is pretty cool) and level design. Levels are a bit open, which is interesting to see and kind of progressive in a sense for a game of this era - there are multiple branching paths in stages, which sometimes lead to permanent upgrades or score boosters. The game's presentation (particularly the audio and visuals) are very strong, but the boss fights are fairly weak, and the game ends on an anticlimax without any proper last stage (think a Mega Man game where it effectively ends after completing all robot master levels). Pretty good, but not more than that. I should try the sequel and remake sometime.

-

Mostly played a lot of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Minecraft this month more than anything else.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Another 5 games knocked out this month!
  1. Hades (NSW) - Simply the best roguelike action game I've ever played. Nearly flawless and a new benchmark for the genre.
  2. Picross S (NSW) - I just don't really understand Mega Picross but the standard Picross puzzles were great. There were some real good puzzles on the last "page" of the game
  3. Dirt Rally 2.0 (PS4) - Looks great and the handling is really well communicated. You can feel the difference between cars and even between upgrades to an extent. Only issue is that the track variety is very limited and the "career" mode feels very limited/undercooked.
  4. Eufloria (PC) - An interesting take on the RTS genre that ultimately got a little stale. Fun for a short while though!
  5. Eliza (PC) - A visual novel from Zachtronics of SpaceChem/TIS-100/Infinifactory fame. Short, sweet, original and will probably be a better cyberpunk genre-piece than Cyberpunk 2077.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
From the 52 games in 1 year thread:

Life Is Strange: Before the storm (PS4) | 5th October - 10hrs - platinum | 5/5
I loved it nearly as much as the original. It was great to hang out with Chloe again.

Return of the Obra Dinn | 7th October - 20hrs | 5/5
Everyone should know how good this game is by now but what no-one every told me was how good the music was. The swelling of the orchestra as you first unlock a new death scene never ceased to give me goose bumps.

25. Wolfenstein II: The new colossus | 19th October - 30hrs | 3/5
It dragged on a bit and the pacing in the cutscenes is all over the place and really hurts the narrative and it's a really difficult game to boot. But despite all that, the twists and turns of the story and the fact that it's not afraid to go to crazy places kept me hooked to the end.

26. Zero Escape: 999 | 30th October - 12hrs | 4/5
The game starts very slow and I'd abandoned it a couple of times before but once I'd unlocked one of the endings, I was hooked. I loved the msytery and all the characters. Some of the endings don't make sense in context of other paths taken but overall I really loved it. One of the best VNs I've ever played.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Mafia Definitive Edition on PS4 in early October and more recently Hades on Switch.

Other than that I've been taking a bit of a hiatus from gaming, a little break before OD'ing on next gen this month and next lol.