• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Many thanks to Horror, chadskin, Clive and others who made these threads what they are for many months. I've kept the old format, but will be adding a few choice quotes about games that people shared their thoughts on, so don't be shy to discuss what you played.

Last month was a double tie! The most played games were Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and Unpacking, both beaten by 11 people. Second place was Forza Horizon 5 and Shin Megami Tensei V with 6 plays each.

gyb_dec21kjk6x.png

Previous top monthly games:

August 2020: Ghost of Tsushima
September 2020: Mario 64
November 2020: Hades and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
December 2020: Spider-Man: Miles Morales
January 2021: Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Cyberpunk 2077
February 2021: Donut County
March 2021: Super Mario 3D World
April 2021: Monster Hunter Rise
May 2021: Returnal
June 2021: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
July 2021: Death's Door
August 2021: Psychonauts 2
September 2021: Psychonauts 2
October 2021: Metroid Dread

Hardcore Gamer of the Month was AniHawk with 20 games beaten! Second place was drinkrust with 19 titles, and coming in third was Palazzo with 10.

August 2020: KOfLegend
September 2020: KOfLegend
October 2020: fanboy
November 2020: KOfLegend
December 2020: KOfLegend
January 2021: KOfLegend
February 2021: fanboy and Zolbrod
March 2021: fanboy
April 2021: AniHawk
May 2021: AniHawk
June 2021: JhOnNY_HD
July 2021: KOfLegend
August 2021: sweetmini
September 2021: tvpivva
October 2021: KOfLegend

Here are some highlights from November 2021's thread:

Disco Elysium is one of the best games I've ever played, and almost certainly the best writing I've come across in a game. I've gradually come to the point where I basically never care about the ostensible subject of a game, so I was surprised that in this one I was carried along so well, and generally felt what it seemed like I was supposed to be feeling. I love the way the developers adapted tabletop stats to something other than combat, and also the new way they found to represent moments of tension within the dialogue/skill check system. Fantastic, GOTY.cx 2019 and 2021.

Friday the 13th (NES) - 4/5
Sidescrolling action game where you fight off Jason while arming your six counselors and protecting the camp. Had always assumed that this was junk shovelware, but was very pleasantly surprised. Though the action is a little basic, it has a pretty interesting strategic layer on top that keeps team management fun and exciting. Only real downside are the nonsensical forest mazes, which basically demand outside help, but despite that I really loved this game and would just about put it in my NES top ten. Beaten with no deaths.

The Ascent - my favorite game to come out this year. Certainly not the best but the one that brought me the most joy. With the most beautiful cyberpunk world in a game yet, It is like a dream come true.

Umurangi Generation, finished it on 1.Nov - basically a searching game where you have to take pictures of the right objects based on some hints and each level is a small sandbox. Great game done despite clearly not much of an high budget. The movement is like "taken from the Unity/Unreal presets"-level but the high amount of options for your photos and the well-working "find the right spot to take a pic of the object(s)" mechanic made it fun. It also has an amazing soundtrack.
I also love how everything about the story is purely "show, not tell" until the very last cutscene of the bonus DLC. And for that it still manages to land some heavy mood swings and gut punches, which is really impressive.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1: Guardians of the Galaxy
2: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond
3: Sonic Colors Ultimate
4: Mortal Kombat 11

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV
TNT Evilution in Ultra Violence. Without cheats! Finally.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
The Last of Us Part II (replay + Platinum)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intermission

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Kill it With Fire
Halo Infinite
Lake
Hitman 3
It Takes Two

Super solid month right there.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Guacamelee 2
Kaze & The Wild Masks
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labrynth
Little Nightmares

Bunch of shorter games, did nearly get all achievements in Kaze & The Wild Masks outside of the beat under 2 hours which might be a future incentive to go back to the game.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Just the Halo Infinite campaign for me.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy 14 - Endwalker - 9/10
I've really only played ffxiv since June this year tbh. Managed to complete Shadowbringers about mid November and when endwalker came out I no lifed it and finished the msq by the following Tuesday. Whilst it's a wonderful end to the story arc and possibly the second best final fantasy (ShB is first imo) it didn't have some of the real wow moments ShB did. That minor grumble aside it's incredible. The 2 primal fights are excellent and the new raid is fun if a bit sotn. I love the changes tanks got too seeing they're my main roles.

Guardians of the galaxy - 6/10
I will say that overall I enjoyed GotG but think it had some terrible flaws that aren't mentioned enough.

For starters the controls. I would often find myself holding L2 to lock on to an enemy whilst having to hold L1 to bring up my teammates action list to then press face buttons to select an attack whilst simultaneously using R2 to shoot and both analogues to move and aim. Add onto this using the dpad to select the relevant ammo type and R1 for those special attacks. It just felt convoluted and overly clunky and this was exacerbated by the combat itself. Spongy enemies requiring you to spam the different teammate attacks more often then you fired yourself. An unnecessary reload mechanic further added to the plate spinning each unsatisfying fight made you perform. There were the odd moments where it felt satisfying burning through multiple big hit attacks at once but more often then not I bored of the combat as soon as it started. I'd also draw attention to the animations especially the big qte type events. They often lacked any oomph and looked aged and low budget

The combat also had a weird mechanic where you can call your team mates for a huddle where a shockingly poor set of quips would need to be responded to with one of two options. Succeed with the selection and you get a team buff but the dialogue in these areas was awful. Considering how wonderful the script was in general it's weird these were so bad.

There were some real highlights to the game though with the script and graphics standing out. The dialogue was well voiced and the banter between the cast being generally funny and heart warming. The story was interesting enough and nice to see lesser known marvel characters taking the fore.

The graphics also deserve praise especially in ray tracing mode. The variety of environments and the colour palettes used were possibly its best feature. Varied locales in some of the most vibrant colours I've seen this year with the designers really running riot. If you have a nice tv and a modern console it's definitely a showcase.

It feels odd I wrote more about gotg than end walker considering I enjoyed ffxiv so much more. However I think I was frustrated how guardians showed so much promise but had so many glaring flaws. Like the bloody upgrades you finish 3/4s of the way through but still pick up unlock currency for. Stupid game.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I finally got a PS5 in December (thanks to a fellow Era user for giving me a heads up).

I finished Ghost of Tsushima which was stunning, from its graphics, story to presentation. Big kudos to the devs for hiding the HUD and a complete lack of minimap. (Only flaw was thundery weather which followed me around the entire endgame no matter my playstyle. The weather flute only delayed it. Really bad mechanic)

Today I just gave up on Hitman 3 which I'm exceptionally angry about. I can't remember the last time I got angry about a damn video game lol, but this one did it. Just a buggy broken piece of shit that I'd expect from an indie dev taking a chance on Steam or something. After the 5th crash of the day and unable to unlock a simple glitched challenge I just gave up. I feel robbed.

Next up for me: Chivalry 2. Please don't suck. (edit: actually forgot you need PS Plus for online, don't feel like subbing just yet. Might play Watchdogs Legion instead then)

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Valhalla - The Wrath of the Druids
Returnal
Death's Door
Guardians of the Galaxy

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Completed a bunch of so-so JRPGs this month:

Octopath Traveler
Switch, 86 hrs, 7/10
Very cozy art style. The individual stories range from OK to pretty good, but it's disappointing that they don't intertwine, and the characters having minimal interactions with each other made the journey feel lifeless. Game mechanics were basic, but combat was still satisfying and allowed for a lot of customization. Love the openness of the world, though the game is too formulaic.

Tales of Arise
PS5, 61 hrs, 5.5/10
Combat was monotonous and tedious, especially the very long boss fights. Game mechanics weren't well explained and HUD didn't do a good job of communicating status. Exploration was very linear. Graphics were nice but the game otherwise felt dated and unpolished. Story was overwrought and had terrible pacing. Characters were dull, which made the long and endless cutscenes all the more boring. Ending was drawn out, anticlimactic and just made no sense.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond
Switch, 34 hrs, 6.5/10
Trivially easy until a massive difficulty spike during the last battle, not just in terms of experience share/leveling but also the game telling you how effective different moves are in battle as well as telling you exactly where to go next. Didn't like the chibi art style. Seemed like there was a really low variety of Pokémon during random encounters.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
PS5, 22 hrs, 8.5/10
Characters were well written and had good chemistry. The banter was natural, funny and kept exploration from feeling dull. Story was light and fun, and pacing was good. Love that the branching narrative and dialogue options have meaningful gameplay implications. Combat felt very basic but serviceable. Soundtrack is awesome. Could have used a bit of polish overall.

January:

Marvel's Spider-Man
PS4, 36 hrs, 8.5/10
Felt a bit formulaic at times given the large checklist of tasks, but there was actually a solid variety of missions types. While combat missions did get repetitive, the move set was large enough that combat scenarios just felt like opportunities to try different combat styles. The city was amazing but I was hoping for a little bit more interactivity like shops or mini-games.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Switch, 28 hrs, 7/10
Similar gameplay as the original game, however missions felt much more linear and there was less of an emphasis on capturing and holding keeps, and juggling multiple fronts within a battle. I was disappointed by the direction they chose to take the story.

Star Wars: Squadrons
PS4, 12 hrs, 5.5/10
I loved the old Rogue Squadron games, but this one never jibed with me. I constantly felt completely disoriented and my ship felt so sluggish. It might have helped if I played in VR or if there was an option for 3rd person perspective.

Slay the Spire
Switch, 8 hrs, 8.5/10
My first card/deck building game. Highly addictive. Good balance between risk and reward, and between luck and strategy.

The Pathless
PS5, 14 hrs, 7.5/10
Design sensibility feels very similar to Journey while the mood and world feel very similar to Shadow of Colossus. Puzzles are basic but satisfying and the game is generally pretty chill.

February:

Doom Eternal
PS4, 32 hrs, 8/10
I loved Doom 2016 but found this one a bit disappointing. The basic gameplay is fun and super intense, and I like that you're encouraged to use different guns, but it's so frustrating that the game is constantly trying to get you to do things other than shoot like hunt down fodder enemies to chain saw, juggle different game mechanics, and navigate confusing platforming puzzles.

March:

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Switch, 93 hrs, 8.5/10
It took me a long time to feel engaged with the story and combat but once it clicked it was a great experience. The biggest issue is that there were way too many tedious sidequests which ruined the pacing of the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected
Switch, 14 hrs, 7/10
Story was a decent little epilogue. I don't mind that they ditched the affinity and gem crafting systems, which were never that interesting, but the loss of chain attacks removed a lot of the strategy and fun from the combat.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii, 12 hrs, 8.5/10
Great variety of platforming challenges that rarely get overused. Really fun playing co-op with my kid.

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
3DS, 56 hrs, 8/10
Never played the original release or anything beyond the Kanto or Johto games. Hoenn didn't have as much personality as Kanto or Johto, but I liked that there was some effort to create a story and lore. 2 vs. 2 battles were a nice innovation.

April:

It Takes Two
PS5, 18 hrs, 8.5/10
Detailed and creative environments, tight controls and a decent challenge level. Felt very polished. I liked that the game sampled a huge variety of gameplay elements without overusing any of them. Characters were annoying.

Monster Hunter Rise
Switch, 23 hrs, 6.5/10
Learning to play is about as fun as reading a textbook. Combat was boring and reptitive, and didn't make up for the complete lack of rewarding exploration, or interesting stories and characters. Crafting system wasn't intuitive or satisfying. I didn't understand why I could only complete one quest at a time before being kicked out of the area like I was playing Super Mario Sunshine.

May:

Outer Wilds
PS4, 35 hrs, 9/10
Loved the seamless traversal of the solar system and the open-ended exploration, which combined to create a great sense of mystery, but the clunky controls made it a frustrating experience at times (see Brittle Hollow). The narrative was very well crafted, and the physics-based systems were immersive.

New Pokémon Snap
Switch, 18 hrs, 7.5/10
Cool seeing Pokemon in the wild and there are lots of interesting moments, but it felt like reactions and interactions you could create between pokemon was limited. The AI photo judging seemed pretty hit and miss.

Splatoon 2
Switch, 13 hrs, 8/10
The single player campaign initially felt like it would be little more than a glorified tutorial, but it ended up being a decently satisfyng challenge. Using the inking mechanic to overcome platforming obstacles was innovative.

Kentucky Route Zero
Switch, 10 hrs, 4/10
I heard this game compared favourably to Oxenfree (which I loved) but it turned out to be boring, self-indulgent and pretentious. The story touches on some interesting themes but never coaleces into any kind of cohsive narrative. Characters were bland and forgettable, exhibiting no discernible emotional texture, and the dialogue system, while clever, ultimately came off as little more than a collection of mundane non-sequitors.

June:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
PS4, 43 hrs, 8.5/10
The story was a wild ride with one twist after another, and included pretty much every sci-fi trope I could think of. I just wish some story threads were resolved in a clearer and more satisfying way. Battle sections were OK but a bit unintuitive and tedious at times.

Hades
Switch, 29 hrs, 9/10
I didn't love Bastion, so I didn't expect that I'd like Hades as much and as quickly as I did. The combat is simple but frenetic, and the variety of builds is massive without being overly complicated or overwhelming. It feels like you're constantly being rewarded, and the story is constantly progressing, even if you're not getting any farther in your runs.

Metroid
Switch, 8 hrs, 8/10
I can't help but be impressed by the game that spawned a new genre, but it definitely felt dated with its stiff controls, countless identical rooms and lack of a map. It would have also greatly benefited from having a couple locations that let you fill up your health. I ended up relying heavily on save states just so I wouldn't have to waste time grinding my health up every time I died.

July:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
DS, 29 hrs, 8/10
Plenty of twists and turns, even if some are bit predictable. I liked how they managed to thread plotlines through the different cases. The game does have a lot of adventure game jank in terms of figuring out how to progress to the next scene. Didn't expect the music to be so good.

August:

The World Ends With You
DS, 26 hrs, 6/10
Never really clicked with me. Having to look at two screens simultaneously was a miserable experience. The world is stylish but not fun to explore since all you do is just go from combat zone to combat zone, which sucks because the combat felt clumsy and unintuitive. The character development is well done but the story is nothing special.

September:

Super Metroid
Switch, 15 hrs, 9.5/10
Loved the tense and isolated atmosphere. World felt huge given the era, but the map and more varied environments made it much easier to navigate than the original on NES. The controls were also drastically improved, but still felt very clunky and unresponsive at times.

October:

Dragon Quest Builders
Switch, 57 hrs, 8/10
Very mellow vibe. Feels like a streamlined version of Minecraft, with more mission and story structure, but less creativity and experimentation. Great integration of Dragon Quest monsters, items and lore, but I didn't like that I had to restart from scratch in each chapter and that it's not a fully connected open world. The game also seemed to drag on at the end.

Cruis'n Blast
Switch, 3 hrs, 7/10
Dumb arcade fun, but felt a bit light on content. Loved how vibrant and animated all the tracks were, though they do get re-used a lot. Online multiplayer would have substantially improved replayability.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
Switch, 7 hrs, 6/10
Like the animation but controls felt clunky and the hit detection felt way off. Combat also gets super repetitive and I felt like I was constantly getting stun locked. Don't like how you have to grind so much to upgrade.

Metroid Dread
Switch, 17 hrs, 9/10
Controls were super fluid, which makes all the EMMI escape sequences very fun, and makes you feel satisfyingly overpowered by the end of the game. I wouldn't call the game linear as it does give you opportunities to explore, but it does feel like it often railroads you down certain paths of progression, which is honestly kind of impressive given how massive the world is. I do wish the different areas felt a bit more distinct from one another. Ending was epic.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
- Castlevania Dracula X (Snes)
- Phantasy Star IV
- Medium-Naut
- Sayonara Wild Hearts

No replays this time

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
December has been an extremely work-heavy month due to motherfucking Covid, but managed to finish Guardians of the galaxy (7/10, pretty and fun characters but very shallow gameplay) and…that's it.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei V
Hitman 3
Tales of the Borderlands
Spiderman PS4
Bloodborne again
Jak 1
Jak 2
Jak 3
RE4 for the thousand time
Kena Bridge of Spirits

Crammed in due to the Christmas break lol
Not much new to look forward to aside from Elden Ring

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I started Assassin's Creed Origins in November an got about halfway through. Great game so far but when they announced they were trying to get a 60fps upgrade for the new consoles.

Instead, I picked up Death's Gambit with the new Afterlife expansion. Never played the original so I can't speak to that, but Afterlife was fun overall. Boss fights were particularly cool. I played Blasphemous earlier this year but Death's Gambit Afterlife is superior in my opinion.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Off the top of my head:
- Halo Infinite.
- The Gunk.
- Outlast II.
All three played on Xbox Series S via Game Pass and all three would receive a 4/5 from me.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
12/7 - Call of Duty: Vanguard (PS5)
12/27 - Deathloop (PS5)

That brings the grand total to 22 games finished in 2021 — right at half of the 43 I finished in 2020. I'll try to do better in 2022!

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Read Dead Redemption 2 (phenomenal game with Arthur being one of the best characters portrayed in video games)
Guardians of the Galaxy - The characters were a lot more fun and enjoyable than the MCU counterparts (don't @ me for this opinion)

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Vesperia (PC)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) (I finally understand the connection between Part 1 and Part 2)

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Tales of Arise on PS5.

I re-subbed to gamepass for a month to try it out after a while, the cloud gaming on my Mac has been noticeably improved but not amazing. Very playable though 90% of the time.. Re-beat a round of Hades, beat Ori will of wisps. The latter was good times. I wasn't too hot on the first Ori game for some reason but I felt that the sequel was better than Hollow Knight. Hot take I know, but it felt like it hit the right balance of exploration, length, challenge, and fun gameplay/traversal.

I beat Pokemon Brilliant Diamond too. The elite 4 was kind of a bitch. For the first time in a long time I had trouble in a Pokemon game.

I plan to jump into Persona 5 Strikers next as it's free on PS+ in Jan.

Last edited:

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Only game I really played and finished to 100% completion was Halo Infinite on Legendary. Now time to do it again on LASO.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Halo Infinite - Honestly did not enjoy this much at all. I just didn't care about the story at all and the environments were repetitive and uninteresting in Infinite compared to past Halo games. Open world in this game was incredibly boring. Beat the campaign and just promptly moved on. Multiplayer and overall gunplay are both fantastic though.
  2. Far Cry 6 - It's more Far Cry, but it'd been a while since I've played one so I had a pretty good time playing through it. Yara is actually a lot of fun to explore and it looks gorgeous too. Definitely prefer tropical settings for Far Cry games compared to ones like FC4 or 5. I really like the supremo and resolver weapons, and the amigo pets are entertaining. Blowing up tanks and helicopters with your rocket launcher backpack never got old. Also, Dani Rojas is easily the best protagonist this series has had. See what happens when you actually give your protagonist a personality and show them on screen, Ubi? I picked female Dani and I loved her voice acting and personality. Story was kind of whatever overall but it had some good moments. Overall it feels like a refined Far Cry experience and even if it isn't breaking new ground, it's still enjoyable. I will say the game has a ton of screen tearing on PS5 even 3 months after launch which is unacceptable. Quite a few mission breaking bugs that I ran into during the latter half of the campaign too.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Kena bridge of the spirits /PS5/(good) - fun game with beautiful cutscenes and charming characters. Beautiful graphics and interesting story. Gameplay is nice but nothing extraordinary.

Guardians of the galaxy /Series X/ (excelent) - Characters are a lot of fun, nice dialogues, some nice locations and story has nice pacing and is very fun to follow. Combat is a little mediocre but it can still be fun most of the time. Graphics are very nice in some parts and overall presentation is very very good.

REVIIlage /Series X/ (Classic) - as a non horror, specially in First person, fan I have to say this game is amazing. Overall presentation is fantastic, narrative and characters are good and interesting.
Exploration, level and game design are fantastic with great variety and good crafted moments.
Best quality in the game is the pacing that is absolutely fantastic.

Mortal Kombat XI /Series X/ (good) - I almost never play Fight games but since this game was on gamepass and had a campaign, i gave a chance and really liked. gameplay is very fluid and fun to play, very good animations and graphics. I was a little lost about the story but had good presentation and some very nice scenes. Very good for a casual fighter gamer.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Astal(Sega Saturn) is an absolutely gorgeous game from beginning to end. It's short, but a fun ride with some interesting levels. My favorite is the monster boat level.
LX9pL4T.gif

Halo Infinite(PC) I Have mixed feelings. The sheer scale of the open world was impressive, but there was nothing that made me go "wow this is next-gen" at least in terms of levels/set pieces. The combat was fun, but the levels themselves weren't memorable and the final fight was a bit of a letdown.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It was a very productive month:

Psychonauts 2 (platinum trophy)
Mobile Suit Gundam Battle Operation: Code Fairy
A Short Hike (platinum trophy)
Battlefield 1
Death's Door
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
Granblue Fantasy: Versus
Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars (platinum trophy)

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really touch any of my games this past month for whatever reason. Only beat one game.

Guardians of the Galaxy

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I beat 20 games in December! From the challenge thread:

127. Breath of Death VII (PC) | Dec 2nd - 3hrs | ★★½ | This was a cute little game! Nothing special, but a fun way to waste a few hours.

128. Cthulhu Saves the World (PC) | Dec 3rd - 6.5hrs | ★★★ | Better than Breath of Death, but only slightly. Makes the jump to Cosmic Star Heroine a lot more impressive.

129. Cthulhu Saves Christmas (PC) | Dec 4th - 3hrs | ★★★ | Much like most of Zeboyd's other games, this was cute, but nothing special. Easily the best combat system though, which seems to be directly lifted from Cosmic Star Heroine. Looking forward to their next game!

130. Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch) | Dec 7th - 32hrs | ★★★½ | As it stands right now, this is probably one of my least favorite mainline SMT games. This is definitely one of Atlus' most ambitious games, and I commend them for trying new things, but almost none of what was new to the franchise worked for me.

Gone are most of the tight, incredibly atmospheric areas and are instead replaced with what are frequently bland, rudimentary open areas that aren't even close to being fun to explore. I don't think any SMT game has incredible level design, but my god were the areas always dripping with atmosphere. Even SMTIV, a game that was very clearly held back in every way by the system it was on, managed to have an insanely bleak, oppressive vibe. There's maybe...one small dungeon in SMTV that feels that way? This was without a doubt the most disappointing thing about the game for me.

The story and characters are also a miss this time around. Now, mainline SMT has never really been about the plot or characters, but they were never this…bland. I in no way, shape, or form gave a shit about any of the characters at any point in the entire game, and I absolutely cannot say that for almost every game since Nocturne. The general premise of the story is also uninteresting. A giant space void is about to swallow the earth! A group of Samurai in a fictional eastern kingdom follow a mysterious figure and discover something that completely flips their world upside down! ...a group of high school students explore a tunnel and accidentally end up somewhere where angels and demons are fighting. How riveting. I don't know, none of it worked for me.

Aside from that, It's SMT. The combat system is still as fantastic as ever (with a few changes that I personally didn't mind), the music is still great, and the character and enemy designs are fantastic. It did seem to lack the usual Atlus polish since I can't remember the last time I played an Atlus game that ran this badly.

A lot of people seem to like this game so maybe it's just me. I still liked a lot of it, but I found it to be a crushing disappointment.

131. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (XSX) | Dec 7th - 4hrs | ★★½ | This was rough. Still love the intensity of knowing that anyone could die at any moment, but this was nowhere near as gripping as Until Dawn. Every single character is unlikable, and the story is a hot mess. I've heard Little Hope and House of Ashes are a lot better, so I'm still definitely going to check them out if they ever land on Game Pass.

132. Shivah (iOS) | Dec 10th - 2hrs | ★★★ | Really enjoyed this! Short and sweet. Really unique too, can't say I know of many point & click games starting a rabbi.

133. Halo Infinite (XSX) | Dec 12th - 17hrs | ★★★ | The gameplay's fantastic and the addition of the grappling hook will make going back to the older games really, really hard. Everything else, however, I found to be bland and uninspired. The story's kind of a mess, the villains are one-dimensional cardboard cutouts, and the open world is...there. I didn't have high expectations, but I'm still kinda disappointed.

134. The Blackwell Legacy (PC) | Dec 13th - 3hrs | ★★½ | This was fine? Liked Shiva a lot more but there's a lot of potential here. I will most definitely play the rest of the franchise.

135. Blackwell Unbound (PC) | Dec 14th - 2.5hrs | ★★½ | Weakest Wadjet game by far (so far), but still a fun way to spend a few hours. I'm really liking these short, not-too-complicated point & click games.

136. The Blackwell Convergence (PC) | Dec 14th - 1.5hs | ★★½ | Without a doubt the easiest and shortest game in the series thus far. It was alright.

137. The Gunk (XSX) | Dec 17th - 6hrs | ★★★½ | This was a nice little game! Nothing special, but still a fun time. The gameplay's pretty basic but it gets the job done, and the game doesn't overstay its welcome.

This, in my opinion, is a perfect Game Pass game.

138. The Blackwell Deception (PC) | Dec 18th - 2.5hrs | ★★★ | Probably the best game in the franchise so far, thanks to a stronger overarching narrative. The puzzles are also significantly more elaborate this time around, which was nice.

139. The Blackwell Epiphany (PC) | Dec 18th - 3hrs | ★★★ | Easily the best game in the franchise. It has the best story, best writing, best mood and best puzzles. Nothing incredible, but it's a fitting end to the series.

140. Gears of War 2 (XSX) | Dec 21st - 9.5hrs | ★★ | I have absolutely no idea how a good amount of people consider this to be the best Gears game. The writing is atrocious, the environments are universally bland and ugly, and the level design is mediocre at best. It's nowhere near as campy as the first, which makes all the bad parts stick out more.

141. Gears of War 3 (XSX) | Dec 22nd - 9hrs | ★★★ | Colors? In a Gears of War game?? Say it ain't so!

Easily my favorite Gears game so far. The writing is still terrible and the plot is still cheeks, but I had a much better time with this one than the previous two. Seems like this awful story arc has ended so I'm hoping for something a little better in the next few games.

142. Gears of War: Judgement (XSX) | Dec 22nd - 5.5hrs | ★★½ | Liked this less than 3. The way the story is told is neat but the plot itself isn't great. It's fine gameplay-wise but some of the mission design was a little weird. Out of all of the games so far, this one felt like it was made to be played in co-op the most.

143. Gears of War 4 (XSX) | Dec 24th - 9hrs | ★★★½ | Easily my favorite game in the franchise so far. I understand why it's disliked by fans of the franchise though, it didn't really feel like Gears (which might be why I liked it as much as I did). Absolutely gorgeous, too. The jump from the drab looking original trilogy to this was insane.

144. Gears 5 (XSX) | Dec 26th - 11hrs | ★★★★ | Easily my favorite Gears game. An insane jump in quality in almost every aspect, even from Gears 4. Suffering through the older games to get to this was definitely worth it.

145. Gears 5: Hivebusters (XSX) | Dec 27th - 3hrs | ★★★★ | Wish this was longer, but the short playtime and tight pacing are probably why it's so good. Really liked the cast here, which is something I can't say for almost every other game in the franchise. The setting's also pretty neat and fely a breath of fresh air for the franchise.

146. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS5) | Dec 31st - 30hrs | ★★★½ | Yes, there are too many collectibles and yes, there was no reason for this game to be open world. Yes, the story's kind of a mess but...my God does it play like an absolute dream.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
GS Mikami: Joreishi wa Nice Body (SNES) - 3/5
Licensed sidescrolling action game based on the anime series Ghost Sweeper Mikami, developed by the consistently strong Natsume. A breezy game with simple melee-based combat and very strong, bright presentation. It has good pacing and variety, so although it's not especially deep or challenging it makes for a good playthrough.

Power Blade (NES) - 3/5
Another action sidescroller from Natsume. Your method of attack is an eight-way boomerang toss which increases in range as you power up (can't help but draw Castlevania IV comparisons to this, though this game feels better thought out around this overall), and the levels are vaguely Mega Man-like but with light free-roaming elements (with some paths containing optional powerups and keys needed for progress). Though the game lacks intensity and never really breaks through into excellence (and the bosses are outright weak), it's paced solidly, has good enemy layouts, and fun mechanics.

Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) - 4/5
Changed-up port of the Namco arcade shooter. I've never really played the arcade original so I don't have a good point of comparison, but I enjoyed this a lot. It's a straightforward game with separate attacks for targeting aerial and ground enemies. The stages are pretty exciting and have a variety of interesting gimmicks, though the difficulty level is low - I enjoyed my first playthrough of the game but I can see that being a limiting factor. Though it's a fairly vanilla shooter, the underlying design is strong enough for it to be a memorable game.

Crisis Force (NES) - 3/5
A console-original shooter from Konami. Incredibly technically impressive and has fantastic visuals, which are its most obvious selling points. It has some interestingly unique mechanics - you have three different weapons you can switch between at any point (with a second set of three you can switch to if you grab the appropriate item), as well as an invincibility-granting super mode activated by accumulating powerups - and generally solid stage design. Though it's not that hard, its power-downs upon taking damage can be a bit punishing, and there's one level that's a bit memorization-heavy. The action, generally based around using the correct weapon or strategy at any given time in order to completely quash any given threat, is more tactical than consistently exhilarating, which is still good but not my exact preference.

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES) - 4/5
A sidescrolling action-platformer where you play as Jackie Chan. Fast-paced with exciting level designs and good variety. It seems punishing at first due to your relatively low amount of life but ultimately isn't that difficult. This game's most defining characteristic are your attacks, which have fairly narrow hitboxes and a low amount of active frames - although most of the scenarios the game puts you in are straightforward, damaging any given enemy always requires precisely-aimed attacks (which fits a martial arts game) and means that even the game's more mild portions have a good level of tension.

Sword Master (NES) - 4/5
A sidescrolling action game focused more around combat than platforming. It's straightforward mechanically - strike down enemies with a sword, gain experience to power up and eventually gain magic spells. There are some brief platforming bits - which are a bit awkward due to some control oddities, but ultimately easy to learn - but most of the game is a boss-rush style action game. The combat is surprisingly nuanced, incentivizing the player to land clean and thorough sword hits rather than glancing blows, and most of the bosses are pretty cool. Ultimately it's a great, condensed action game with some odd quirks; much better than I initially thought it would be.

Battle Bakraid (Arcade) - 4/5
An arcade shmup from Raizing, and the last of the "bat trilogy" that started with Battle Garegga. Though this game doesn't have quite the same phenomenally energizing aesthetics as Garegga or Batrider, it's still a fantastic game with exciting level design and excellent bosses (these three games, I think, have my favorite bosses in shooters - very dynamic fights with multiple destructible boss parts and fun bullet patterns). I like the charge shot mechanic here much more than in Batrider, where it feels more rewarding to save up and pull off due to its increased power. Cleared the normal course on one credit.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (PC) - 4/5
Last of the original Ace Attorney games. Probably my favorite of them overall, though it's hard to judge. It has the most consistently interesting cases to puzzle over and solve, and the story ends up being fantastic; the final case is of course the high point of the series. The localization is still not as strong as the first game's - it's at least not as comparatively weak as the second's, and is still good overall, but all Ace Attorney games ultimately suffer from not nailing character voices (distinct speaking styles) as well as the original. Excited to play the Great Ace Attorney games soon.

Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban (SNES) - 3/5
Top-down action game focused around melee combat; a relative rarity. Features really likable and detailed art, rendered in a somewhat realistic style, which is a huge part of the game's appeal. The environments are lush and lovable, the characters are amusing - the game is comedic, and though you start in feudal Japan, the scenarios you go through become increasingly wacky as the game goes on. The mechanics, though, are just fine. The slowdown is intense, and nothing in the game demands interesting strategy - everything feels underbaked, and designed to be mashed through with your abundant resources (screen-clearing bombs and the admittedly satisfying super mode that turns you into a Cho Aniki-esque muscleman who can easily smash through enemies). Pleasant but not excellent. Cleared on one life.

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (Saturn) - 4/5
A sidescrolling action game with interesting, idiosyncratic lock-on-based combat. You get near enemies to draw your attack cursor to them, so combat ends up being about carefully measuring your attack range, avoiding damage while building up your charge attack (which is dispersed if you're hit), and using your shield at appropriate times to power through attacks - it's very momentum-based combat, and is tough to get used to initially, but really rewarding. Your fully charged lightning rips through enemies, and you even have the ability to turn enemies into bombs to help clear the screen for you. And not least among this game's strengths are its stellar dark feudal aesthetic and lineup of cool bosses. Thoroughly fantastic.

-

I also played a lot of Assault Suits Leynos (Target Earth), both the Genesis original and the remake. The original is cool, albeit rough, but the remake has really become one of my favorite sidescrollers.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain. Really liked it. Obviously there are some flaws but really want to see a second one that evolves the game.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Shame this never got X enhancements.
The Gunk - I liked sucking stuff, but this never rose above average.
Halo Infinite - Honestly I had no idea what was going on in the story, but the gameplay was good.
Lake - I feel like this would have been more fun with some QoL gameplay fixes.

Uncharted Golden Abyss - I started this in 2013, finished in 2018, then platinumed it in 2021. Kind of a slog with all of the collectibles and QTEs. It would have been easier if I could have played it with a real controller.
Spider-Man Miles Morales - Got most of the trophies except New Game+ in about 18 hours. Made me hungry for more, so I got bought the $20 Spider-Man Remastered from the menu.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - There's plenty that's been said already about this one - great characters, decent story, excellent voice acting, absolutely amazing graphics. Even the combat system was fun once you get used to it and unlock some skills (I really hated it at first). Very cool game.

Chorus - This came as a surprise for me. Sure, the pre-release trailers looked decent but they didn't prepare me for the tight controls and the fun gameplay. I wish more people would buy it because the developers deserve to be recognized and encouraged.

Halo Infinite - Not really a Halo fan, I have mixed feelings about this one. The open world part of the game is simply excellent, and the gunplay is top notch but the actual campaign missions were the same corridors over and over again and got tiresome really fast. I didn't care about the story, and most of the characters (well, all but the protagonis) are annoying as hell!

Deathloop - Another surprise for me. I think Bethesda's strategy to release games at half price three months in must be working because I wouldn't have bothered with this one otherwise - not yet anyway. The trailers didn't really explain what the game was about and I didn't really do my research before playing it to really find out. But boy, am I glad I took a chance. Yeah, I know it's not as open-ended as Dishonored or Prey but the game's structure still gives you a lot of options, and there's a lot of stuff to discover, plus the asymmetrical multiplayer never got frustrating or annoying. I even spent quite a few hours doing the invading, which I never thought I would do. Great, great game.

Before Your Eyes - Saw this recommended a lot so I finally played it. An emotional story that I am glad I got to experience. Short and sweet.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Mom Hid My Game: I've been playing this on and off for months before finishing it. The perfect game to spent 15 or 20 minutes on. Very lighthearted anf fun!
The Artful Escape: It's style over substance. But I have to admit that in the end, style won me over lol. Each set piece is eye candy, each life form you encounter is unique, and each musical performance is grandiose. The story and general mood the game exudes are cool, too. So I'm glad I stuck to it even though gameplay itself turned me off initially.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
I'm a massive Pikmin fan but its taken me this long to finally get around to this entry, and I can't believe I waited all this time. Despite being a bit shorter than I'd expected, the content thats there is excellent and I have nothing but good things to say. The writing also seems to exponentially grow in charm from title to title. All the dialogue and journal entries put a big grin on my face. Looking forward to Pikmin 4 eventually happening.

Pokemon Shining Pearl
I don't entirely regret playing this but it left me feeling a bit empty. Really don't have much else to say.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Division 2: Warlords of New York

I bought it on a whim last year. Enjoyed the base campaign with friends. The writing is fucking aweful, but the shooting mechanics are pretty satisfying. I like the arena-style shootouts a lot. Then I bought the expansion, yet didn't know once I began it I couldn't return to Washington until I had beaten the campaign. My pals didn't purchase it, so I went through it alone. It was alright. It's nice that one can ask strangers for help, and I even had a good run with a couple of strangers one time or another. Pretty fun game, but I won't be returning.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bounty Hunter campaign)
Got myself a Lenovo Legion 5 with an RTX 3060 for an outstanding price. Haven't been PC-gaming for years! My last gaming computer was bought precisely for the purpose of playing SWTOR. Now that I could return to it, I figured I wanted to try out the game. Free-to-play and all. Got into the Bounty Hunter campaign, and it was good fun, and I am still playing a little, but I don't intend on subscribing.

Timodus

Oct 27, 2017
TitlePlatformDatePlatinumComments
Blue Reflection: Second LightPS42.12.yesgame provided by the publisher
ChorusPS59.12.yesgame provided by the publisher
Bai Qu: Hundreds of MelodiesPS49.12.yesgame provided by the publisher
Muv-Luv Unlimited: THE DAY AFTER - Episode 01 REMASTEREDPC14.12.
Samurai Warriors 5PS415.12.game provided by the publisher
Record of Lodoss War ~Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth~PS517.12.yesgame provided by the publisher
Sakura SantaSwitch20.12.game provided by the publisher
Fatal TwelvePS423.12.yes
Caladrius BlazePS424.12.in 2016
CupheadPS426.12.
Minecraft DungeonsPC27.12.
Metal Slug 3PS427.12.in 2016
Alwa's AwakeningPS428.12.game provided by the publisher
Sin and PunishmentN6428.12.
Aerial_Knight's Never YieldPS4 & PS529.12.yesgame provided by the publisher
Mortal ShellPS431.12.game provided by the publisher

A great list to end the year. I also managed to beat my yearly goal of beating more games than buying with 82 beaten and 53 bought.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - took me a while because I was waiting Endwalker to release so I can get past level 60. Great expansion.
Final Fantasy XIV: Stromblood - I actually think this is quite good. The early part in Doma is so boring, but otherwise it's fine. The patched content is fire.
Great Ace Attorney: Resolve - Love the cast.
House of Ashes - Probably the jankiest and yet the best of the anthology.