• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Wasn't much time for games this month. Hard for me to dedicate the time during summer when I'd rather be outside.

Think I only beat 2...?

Crash Bandicoot 1 (Switch)
Space Harrier - SEGA Ages (Switch)

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
ZeroRanger (PC) - 4/5
Very, very cool shmup with great presentation and a strong sense for dramatic pacing. Heavily inspired by Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun in the way it treats levels, which are more about gimmicky setpieces stuck together than straightforward enemy gauntlets like a lot of shooters. This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but I do think the basic combat in a lot of segments can get pretty rote unless you play for risky scoring strategies as a result - once you basically have the levels down, a lot of the enemy waves aren't that interesting to fight unless you are specifically playing for score, which isn't something I'd say about most arcade shooters. That said, this isn't a severe problem, and the minibosses and bosses (there are a lot of them, this game is very Treasure) are mostly excellent.

Though I played all the way through the game, I didn't actually 1CC it - the final boss killed my credit and I had to continue once to finish the game. I'll come back and properly clear it sometime.

Beyond that, I've mostly been playing FTL (enjoyed it at first but bounced off when I realized just how intensely random it gets - I may go back but something like Spelunky is more my speed) and a few other shooters, including Gun.Smoke and Thunder Dragon 2 which I'm getting pretty heavily into. Started playing Doom 3 too, which I definitely want to finish this month - though it may take a bit.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts III Platinum Trophy
Spyro 1 on Reignited Trilogy

Could be better, but my mood to play games has come back

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few months since I beat anything but finished DMC5 last month. Fantastic game and my favorite 2019 release so far.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade: great game, can't wait to see what Ninja Theory can do with Microsoft's backing.

One Piece World Seeker: yeah, no. The traversal can be fun albeit clunky. But the most annoying thing about the game is the shitty quest design. Combat isn't anything to write home about too.
Finished it to see the story to the end, but it was underwhelming.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry V: Enjoyed it quite a bit, didn't really like the sections where you play as V.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (BE-E) - I'm still going back to do the rest of 3H, but I needed a break.

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure - An excellent and very unique adventure game that I hope more people play when the fan translation is finished.

Ultimate Doom (+ Sigil) - I'm not much for FPSes usually, but I greatly enjoyed Doom and totally understand why it's so revered now. I'm definitely going to be playing the other games too.

Black Bird (True Mode) - A pretty easy 1cc by shmup standards, even on True Mode, but rock-solid mechanically despite coming from a dev with no experience in the genre, and downright incredible aesthetically.

Astral Chain - I wrote more about this in the OT, but ultimately I felt like the game ended up being less than the sum of its parts since it can't decide whether it wants to be a one-and-done action RPG with lots of gameplay variation or a focused and replayable character action game. It's designed and paced like the former but structured like the latter - and for as much of a focus as it is, the story never got particularly interesting. At least it's very pretty and stylish and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Spiderman on PS4 and loved it.
The amount of set pieces and quality story and acting for an open world was such a nice surprise. Got the plat as many of us seem to have. Such a joy to play and looked amazing.

Finished Inside on PS4 - double dipped after originally finishing it on Steam. Still one of the best games ever made in my opinion. An absolute masterpiece.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Finished games:
Blazing Chrome
Castlevania SOTN
Crackdown 3
Manual Samuel
The Stillness of the Wind
Ancestors: A Humankind Odyssey

Dropped games:
AoE Definitive Edition
BELOW

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
Sekiro : Shadows die twice. The clash of swords was amazing, it's a new benchmark for action gaming for me

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Just Dragon Quest Builders 2, though I haven't gotten the Platinum yet.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Control, enjoyed the story and characters, gameplay, but performance was poor.

Borderlands the pre sequel - just an all round bad game.

Timodus

Oct 27, 2017
Only one game this month for me, which is pretty rare. The reason for that was losing my YouTube channel where I posted videos for 12 years.

18.8. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - One route done and another at the very end. Gametime is 135h, but I listened to the music player for many hours.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Finished Mass Effect Andromeda yesterday. Despite some issues and seeing overall lack of polish and development time, I really enjoyed it. The action is great and some character chemistry is well done. Oh, yeah Vetra is so cute.

Oct 27, 2017
As always I will update my list:

August 2019 Games:

15) Spyro the Dragon Remake (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
Score: 7/10
14) Assassin's Creed 2 Remastered (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
13) Detroit Become Human (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
Score: 8/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 2019 Games:

12) Farcry 4 (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
Score: 7.5/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 2019 Games:

11) The Surge (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
10) SOMA (Started- Finished- 100%)
May 2019 Games:

9) Batman Arkham City Remastered DLC Revenge of Harley Quinn (Started- Finished- 100%)
8) What Remains of Edith Finch (Started- Finished- 100%)
7) Far Cry Primal (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
April 2019 Games:

6) Batman Arkham City Remastered (PS4) (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
Score: 8.5/10
March 2019 Games:

5) Assassin's Creed Origins DLC The Hidden Ones (PS4) (Started- Finished- 100%)
4) Assassin's Creed Origins DLC The Curse of the Pharaohs (PS4) (Started- Finished- 100%)
3) Assassin's Creed Origins DLC The Discovery Tour (PS4) (Started- Finished- 100%)
Score: 6/10
2) Batman Arkham Asylum Remastered (PS4) (Started- Finished- Platinumed)
February 2019 Games:

1) Assassin's Creed Origins (PS4) (Started in December 2018! - Finished and Platinumed in February 2019)
January 2019 Games:

None!

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami 2: Majima Saga
Saved this extra chapters since Sept 2018 in order to wait for Yakuza 3 Remaster announcement.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Remnant: From the Ashes and Control are my only 2 for August - but I played a ton of Astral Chain, WoW Classic and Slay the Spire too. I imagine my September will be filled with even more completed games, from Gears 5 to Borderlands 3.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
de Blob
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
What Remains of Edith Finch
The Town of Light

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Was only able to beat FarCry 5.

When I first got the game, I was really unimpressed with it overall. But overtime I got used to it, started enjoying the gameplay and the environments.

What helped me the most was using headphones. Before that I was using my TV speakers and there's generally quite a lot of sound in my room, even with my PS going supersonic sometimes with the loud fan.

Using headphones actually improved my experience quite a lot. Actually started to get lost in the evnironment.

I enjoyed the Prepper Stash Side Missions quite a lot. They were always quite different and unique in their own way with stories that made me feel like this was a very lived in world.

Everything else was very basic and by the numbers.

Also never understood the fact that the main baddies always managed to capture the protagonist, never killed, just gave speeches about their ideologies and then somehow we would always escape their grasp.

What the fuck was that all about? Even when I would be causing them all the pain by taking over their turf, killing their men, etc. Never understood this part of the game.

7/10 from me. Preferred the side missions to the main content.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really need to change my goddamn job. Can only play on weekends and it sucks. Week ends before it even starts.

Titanfall 2
Doom 2016
Shadow of War

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Binge all 5 seasons of Gotham, so was in the mood for more batman. Played Batman, The TellTales series, and REALLY enjoyed it, performance was shit tho. 9.0/10, going to start The Enemy Within today.

Aug 31, 2019
I finished Into the Breach a few times and then decided not to go after all the achievements and unlocks. The gameplay loop is solid and elegant, but unfortunately there is not too much content. Glad I got it with Gamepass PC.

Also, completed Wargroove campaign. Great game, a good Advance Wars sucessor.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc:

Picked it up in the Spike Chunsoft sale considering the amazing value for the 1/2 bundle. Blitzed through it when I was ill with the flu one weekend, which led to some pretty insane fever dreams. It wasn't perfect, and some of the localisation wasn't ideal, but I liked the core cast and the story they were trying to tell. I wish there had been slightly fewer courtroom mechanics though, you shouldn't still have tutorials thrown at you 25 hours in.​
I also wish it had leaned more on the side of a pure Phoenix Wright styled text adventure and shunned more of the Persona style social mechanics. It's hard to build meaningful relationships with the cast to unlock different perks when the whole game is designed around a cast that's constantly dying. The courtroom mechanics felt overly complex and often overly vague when it came to connecting the right truth bullets with the corresponding phrases. You could have the right combination in the wrong order and get penalised for it, which seems silly.

Iconoclasts:

Very unique but just missed the mark for greatness, at least for me. I wish it would've stopped sitting on the fence and decided whether or not it wanted to be a puzzle platformer or a metroidvania. In the end, it straddles both genres awkwardly. Other games I've played that attempted something similar in the past, like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, achieved a much better balance of these two genres.​
The pixel-art, combat and story are all wonderful but despite the complexity and depth of the story for a platformer, I still felt it didn't go deep enough. There's a lot of lore and worldbuilding but it never really feels like it amounts to anything. A general playerbase is probably asked to infer way too much about the way the world of Iconoclasts works, but it just about inches by on it's charm and the inventive, outlandish cast of characters. Also, I felt the pacing was pretty all over the place, which didn't help matters. I didn't care for the tweak system either. The upgrades all felt so negligible, and only ever being able to equip three at once made the entire system feel underbaked.

Undertale:
Finally got around to playing it after putting it off for 4 years. I totally get why this was a huge phenomenon. Creative, witty, stylish, welcoming and unique. Been basically listening to the soundtrack non-stop since beating it, and the more I relisten the more I hear. The weaving of leitmotifs between several tracks on the OST is mindbogglingly good. Undertale really is a triumph that displays what someone with a distinctive creative vision can accomplish without the binds of needing to meet some kind of market specificiation.​

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Million Onion Hotel (iOS) - Weird as hell, very good mobile game
Chasm (Switch) - Bought it at sale without knowing much. I felt like there was a lot of story for how uninteresting it was. None of the fights felt very impactful, and you could easily spam yourself through the boss fights. Still, I played through it.
Hellblade (Switch) - Very good game. I wasn't a huge fan of the environmental puzzles, but they did support the narrative in a cool way. I've heard people call the combat tedious, but I had fun with it. Powerful themes and gameplay that supports them. Great audio.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
How was Blair Witch? Is it worth a Halloween playthrough?

Also, just finished games Ive already finished before again in August... (Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4)

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I had a few days off and played throught A Plague Tale and Bioshock on my PS4.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Yakuza Kiwami: A big letdown after Yakuza 0. The main story is fine, but the rest of the game just pales in comparison to 0. I'll still get Kiwami 2, but next time I'll keep my expectations in check (and will take another big break before revisiting Kamurocho).

Bound: I bought this pretty much blindly because Bound has received acclaim by media and fans and I generally enjoy this kind of game. It definitely is one of the prettiest, visually most stunning games I've played. Neither the gameplay nor the story convinced me though. Besides some cool moments, Bound is a very shallow experience IMO.

Deponia Doomsday: I'm a fan of the Deponia series and Doomsday offers more of the same: Funny dialogue, comical situations and humour that works well in this context. The puzzles are plausible; if if wasn't for one tiny moment at the end of the game it would have been the very first point and click adventure I had finished without any guide. This still bothers me a bit, I was so close.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I felt like I couldn't contribute, but then I remembered that I saw credits RDR2 in August. I'm not finished with the game entirely, but I still think that counts.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
blair witch dmc v dark souls 3 and guacamelee 2. all phenomenal and all except for DS3 were on game pass

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII: beat it for the first time since starting the game and playing like 5 hours many many times since I was a kid. I know a lot of people have memories of beating RPGs as kids but I just did not have the attention span to stick with something that long back in the day. Having finally played it to completion it's... pretty good. I 100% appreciate it's significance but many things do not hold up imo. The story lost me big time around halfway through, although the cast of characters is very strong and that helped keep my interest even as the story lost me. I do love the materia system.