• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Any JRPG featuring a boy protagonist between the ages of 11-17...so pretty much all JRPGs. Funnily enough, Dragon Quest is probably the lone exception. I tried DQ11 on a whim and loved it.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the Infinity Engine and I do not enjoy games that try to mine nostalgia for that era. Sorry, but every single isometric PC RPG I've played has lost me within a couple of hours. If you're gonna design a game like that at least let it play like Diablo so the gameplay isn't paced like molasses trying to roll uphill.
Plenty of PC rpgs aren't trying to be Infinity Engine games like Shadowrun or Divinity. You also have this serious problem with assuming that people who do like Infinity Engine style games only do so from a place of nostalgia. It a shame you can't enjoy them as you are missing out .

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I feel like this question assumes I would otherwise buy every game the recieves critical acclaim and thats how I make all my purchasing decisions.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the Infinity Engine and I do not enjoy games that try to mine nostalgia for that era. Sorry, but every single isometric PC RPG I've played has lost me within a couple of hours. If you're gonna design a game like that at least let it play like Diablo so the gameplay isn't paced like molasses trying to roll uphill.

it has nothing to do with nostalgia. it's a useful camera angle for many reasons--tactical positioning in combat, for just one example.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Lmao dont get too fixated on my comment. Its not a jab at you. It is an odd question tho

My answer to your question: most of them? I dont buy games bc they get good ratings. I buy them bc they interest me personally. Overlap isnt 100%. What games would I never buy despite overwhelmingly positive reviews? Most of them. Hard to answer this unless theres conscious overlap that is the norm (bc i otherwise wouldnt notice it).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
out of curiosity, are on console or PC? I find that a wide FOV generally helps with motion sickness.

Console. PC gaming is way too frustrating and expensive to put up with and I'm just done with it forever.

Plenty of PC rpgs aren't trying to be Infinity Engine games like Shadowrun or Divinity. You also have this serious problem with assuming that people who do like Infinity Engine style games only do so from a place of nostalgia. It a shame you can't enjoy them as you are missing out .

Divinity was extremely boring for me, too. I've given the subgenre so damn many chances and not one of them has been able to hold my interest for more than a couple of hours.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Probably Last of Us II. I've been trying for a while to get into it but every time I pick it up I get underwhelmed, bored even. The narrative interests me but the gameplay is just kind of... there. Maybe I'll start from the beginning and try again when II comes out and see if my opinion changes, but if I do play the sequels;, it's not because it got Game of the Year awards and 99 on Metacritic or something.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Wont buy anything rockstar because their games put all the effort in the world and none in the gameplay or controls.
And Last of us 2 cause it will probably get a 99 on metacritic but I dont see it doing anything interesting in terms of gameplay.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
With the exclusion of game genres you are not interested into (like, I don't like sport games, so naturally I won't usually buy them), what games you won't buy (or you have not bought) even if they got very good reviews?

For me it is any Dragon Quest after IX: I've read excellent reviews about it and bought it on Nintendo DS, only to find one of the worst (and easiest) JRPGs I've ever played. So, no trust in future entries getting similar reviews.

(edit: somehow I missed the "s" in "reviews" in the title, sorry!)
I actually had a similar experience with DQIX. I got the game because of all the people complimenting it and then being disappointed by it in a major way. I didn't think it was that easy because I do remember getting wiped out a few times while playing it, but I was so bored by it that I dropped it and swore off the entire series.

I have given the series a second chance a little while ago with the DQXI demo on the Switch, and I actually think it's pretty good. I don't think it's incredible like a lot of people seem to, but I like it well enough that I'm considering getting the full game at some point.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Most Western AAA games like RDR/GTA, CoD, Bethesda games, Assassin's Creed, etc. because I know there's no chance I'd like them.

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to disregard reviews for western AAA open world games, since they all seem to review well. And a lot of them end up underwhelming on the gameplay side of things.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker, I will never play a game that looks that awful. I have always hated that art style beyond belief.

Anything Kojima makes, just dont like his stories or gameplay conventions.

Last of Us 2. I hate naughty dogs gameplay and I just find the ultra violent revelry in Last of Us gross

DronePhysics

Oct 28, 2017
Early access games. I like my games to be complete when I purchase them.

4x and grand strategy games because I dont have the time to enjoy them.

A Hat in Time because of Jontron's involvement in it.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Monster Hunter (World/Iceborne/whatever) because despite how great they are I don't like the core gameplay loop and don't want to get sucked into it.

FFXIV seems to only be getting better and better but I haven't played anything resembling an MMO since PSO and won't do it again until PSO2 next year

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Assassin's Creed: Whatever The Fuck could get a 99 Metascore and I just refuse to mess with this series any more. Considering I've never liked any of the games at any point, I'm disgusted with myself at how many I've given a chance and ended up hating. 10 years of buying games in a series I know I won't like and then complaining about them, I think I finally learned my lesson.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
All naughty dog games unfortunately. I hate the way it plays and I'm sadly repulsed by how graphic the violence has gotten to the last of us 2.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
This is an odd thread. I buy games based on if I'm interested in them or not. Like I'll probably buy the next Final Fantasy game because I'm interested in it. There's no way I could just buy every game that has a good review.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
In general I am pretty open minded about games, but it all comes down to genre or monetization systems. Also for me full price 60$/€ is a lot for a game so I only have a handful each year to pick from that I buy which naturally limits me much more than having games that I flat-out not buy . So more like a priority list and I never go as low as to where I have to struggle with actually not wanting a game.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Trust them for low review scores, trust my own discretion for high review scores.

I use reviews to avoid bad games (usually below 70), buy games that interests me regardless their scores. But nowadays even low scores could be biased. Days Gone is a low 80 for me, instead of low 70 on MC.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe anything new from Microsoft 1st or 2nd party studios.

Not because they're bad, but just because Game Pass feels a lot more ideal a route to play many of them to me personally.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
A lot of games actually, fighters, driving games, MMOs and pretty much any game that puts a heavy focus on multiplayer.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Most sport/driving/fighting games. Nothing against them but as I've grown older they haven't appealed to me as much and I have less time to really get into them and learn them.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Spiderman,
read Dead Redemption 2

I was burned hard by horizon and god of war reviews. Never again