• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Yeah we all have a regrettable purchase or 2 but I'm thinking of the ones that continue to make you extra cautious and skeptical due to how much they bummed you out.

The games where your hype got you hard and you couldn't even wait for some feedback, sales or something to mitigate the damage.

The ones that stick with me are the last parts of the nonary games (zero time dilemma - gross handling of characters, story and visually a downgrade to the point of parody) and corpse party (blood drive - from haunting a genuinely creepy visual novel with immersive story to chibi and borderline unplayable) and dragon age inquisition on ps3 (had I know the trespasser dlc would never be released on the console I would have just waited to play it as intended with all the content on the latter systems)

So simply put, if you could go back and tell yourself to avoid a purchase what would it have been?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne. I bought into the hype of the internet and I quickly realised these kind of games are not for me.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
Control is a great game. That being said, I could've waited for the Ultimate edition. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would and now it's stuck forever in my PS4. 😔

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Lumines on PC years ago due to internet hype. Didn't enjoy it. Got it again on Switch (for free with gold points) due to that same hype. Surprise, still didn't enjoy it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i liked mario so i didnt think it would be a crappy puzzle game
il_340x270.662165055_eb6p.jpg

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think I bought GTA4 because everyone was buying it but I knew I wouldn't like it because I didn't care for the others.

Nov 17, 2019
Watch Dogs Legion. I didn't really like the previous watch dogs games and a part of me knew I would regret buying it but I did it anyway because I was super bored. After about 10 hours of playtime, I uninstalled it and I'm probably never gonna play it again.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Every GTA game I buy hoping this time it'll click - and it never does

despite not finishing senior and blood borne I still very much enjoy my time in soulsborne worlds so no regrets there

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh tons. Blossom Quest, Rocket League on Switch, Enter the Gungeon, Quest of Dungeons, Snake Pass, Axiom Verge, Retro City Rampage, Rime, State of Decay, the Trine games, Iconoclasts, Octopath Traveler, the Spyro remasters, the Crash Bandicoot remasters, the Ratchet and Clank remasters and Watch Dogs come to mind.

They're not necessarily bad games (even though I don't think they're all that good), but yeah. Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll try a new game that's been getting positive buzz in a genre I know for a fact I don't enjoy like with Street Fighter V or Civilization V, and then it just confirms that, yup, I still don't like these games.

I think I prefer making bad purchase decisions over playing samey/safe picks though. So it probably does balance out with unexpected positives in the end. Having a service like GP around has mitigated a lot of bad buys though, so that's been nice. I've also gotten better at recognizing games that I won't like. I would've gotten a lot of Nintendo's first party stuff out of habit, but I can feel it my bones that stuff like the Yoshi and Kirby games or Astral Chain won't go down well.

Last edited:

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Anthem

I hadn't looked into it at all, just watched about 2 minutes of combat gameplay and thought it looked neat

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
The Conduit. Loved the idea of it, but that game was so, sooooooooooo bland. And now it just reminds me of when Michael Jackson died.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
BotW for sure, I kinda knew I wasn't gonna like it before buying it but I just couldn't believe Nintendo could make a Zelda game I wouldn't like, so I let hype take over and bought it anyways. Wish I at least didn't buy it digitally so I could've sold it later. Not making the same mistake with the sequel.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy. I thought it would be a great buy since the original games were great & the collection had great reviews. It ended up being one of the most frustrating games I have ever played.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i liked mario so i didnt think it would be a crappy puzzle game
il_340x270.662165055_eb6p.jpg

playground consensus back in the day was Dr. Mario was "mario 4".

i saw snippets of Super Mario World in gaming magazines at the mall, reported what i saw to my classmates and they all looked at me like i was high

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers and Ghost of Tsushima. Haven't touched one, and only played the other for an hour before other things took over.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mario Party and Tennis Aces on Switch. I thought it'd be nice to play with the family during my visit but none of them wanted to join me, Rip.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I bought Sonic Forces on day 1 even after watching streams of the leaked copies and reviews. Can't blame anyone but myself for that one.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill HD Collection... as I recall, in the run up to release, there was no indication it would turn out to be such a travesty, but maybe I wasn't paying attention :(

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
The Order 1886. Got it at launch and didn't know a lot about it.

should've waited for a price drop.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Disgaea 1 complete. I really didn't do much research into the game after seeing a trailer for 5 in a Nintendo direct it looked super fun because you could raise your level super high and deal a ton of damage. Well I though it was a turn based rpg turns out it's a turn based strategy game which I'm really not into so I was really disappointed and couldn't get into it

also sonic forces but I beat it in under 2 hours and refunded it but I still regret ever buying it

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this is like a launch day habit of mine since I get hungry for new games. So I'd say...

Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Knack
BOTW
Tekken Tag Tournament
...and Ryse

spring to mind as instant regret purchases

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I have actually never bought a game for myself I didn't at least somewhat LIKE, but I've definitely wasted money by buying a game and not getting around to playing or beating it until long after it had dropped in price - or sometimes gone to PS+ for free.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of the Robots on PC. What a miserable pile of shit. I was 12, limited funds, brought it back to Babbage's and said "it doesn't work on my computer", swapped it for another game.

But man did it work. It was fucking terrible. Featuring the music of Brian May?! From Queen! And robots kicking the shit out of each other? I loved One Must Fall 2097 so Rise of the Robots could be awesome! Wrong.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, Control. Don't get me wrong I loved the game. But I wanted to get the DLCs for it right around the time the whole Next-Gen BS was revealed. Now I have to wait and buy the game a second time.

RE6 HD. I wanted to give it a second chance. Boy what a bad idea.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
The one that I really felt it for was Brink on launch day, that wasn't the best purchase :P

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Control is a great game. That being said, I could've waited for the Ultimate edition. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would and now it's stuck forever in my PS4. 😔

Same here. Bought it when it went on sale over the summer thinking it wouldn't go any cheaper for a while. Should've just held off because I wasn't planning on playing it for a while anyway. Could've picked up the ultimate for cheaper than I paid, plus the eventual next gen upgrade. It's soured me on even playing it now even though I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I didn't buy it, but my parents got me Super Pitfall for the NES when I was a kid because I liked Pitfall II on the 2600 so much.

Worst game I have ever owned.

Everything I've bought I've been fairly satisfied with.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
my friend talked me into buying fifa 21( the first sports game purchase in my whole life) and i have never been more disappointed in my life, i was getting bored really fast which is something that rarely happens to me if it actually happens.

Nov 1, 2017
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. I'm such a huge Capcom vs fighter fan and played the absolute shit out of UMvC3. Deep down i think i knew it would be hot garbage but i was so ready and willing to be wrong. I was not.

Luckily i managed to get a refund thanks to some creative lying to Amazon so it wasn't a complete waste of money.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
The last of us 2. Wasn't going to buy it but it got amazing reviews so I changed my mind. Hated the story.