• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I vaguely remember a game from like the first era of kickstarter. It was a robot block pushing puzzle game, and the main gimmick was that there was like 2 different eras or something? I think you pushed blocks in the past to change things in the future?

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I think I remember this description correctly....

It was a game on the Saturn. I think in outer space, or on the surface of the moon or a distant plant, where you perhaps play as a mech (?) and have different types of weapons/missiles you can shoot? I don't remember a lot about it, but I've poured over lists of Saturn games over the years and can't really find it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think I remember this description correctly....

It was a game on the Saturn. I think in outer space, or on the surface of the moon or a distant plant, where you perhaps play as a mech (?) and have different types of weapons/missiles you can shoot? I don't remember a lot about it, but I've poured over lists of Saturn games over the years and can't really find it.
Amok?

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
So my better half is talking about a game when she got her first desktop back in 1998...there is a mesh, which is enclosed in a box and you have to manuver the side of the boxes so that the mesh does not touch the box, there were two or three meshes and have to keep moving the box around so that the mesh doesn't touch the box...

Any clues on what game she is talking about...I've gone through pong, breakout, snake doesn't seem to fit the bill, it was in black and white

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my better half is talking about a game when she got her first desktop back in 1998...there is a mesh, which is enclosed in a box and you have to manuver the side of the boxes so that the mesh does not touch the box, there were two or three meshes and have to keep moving the box around so that the mesh doesn't touch the box...

Any clues on what game she is talking about...I've gone through pong, breakout, snake doesn't seem to fit the bill, it was in black and white
Something like Jezzball maybe or some form of Qix?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
There was one game I've been trying to remember for the life of me that I remember playing as a kid. Can't remember if it was for PS1 or PS2 but it was a samurai/ninja sort of game iirc and the game had a side mode where you could build your own map, place walls/trees/folliage and many other things and then play the map you created. I spent pretty much all my time doing that mode.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
QueenVulpix
There was one game I've been trying to remember for the life of me that I remember playing as a kid. Can't remember if it was for PS1 or PS2 but it was a samurai/ninja sort of game iirc and the game had a side mode where you could build your own map, place walls/trees/folliage and many other things and then play the map you created. I spent pretty much all my time doing that mode.

tenchu 2 birth of the stealth assassins on ps1 had a mode like that.

EDIT:forgot to quote.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
QueenVulpix

tenchu 2 birth of the stealth assassins on ps1 had a mode like that.

EDIT:forgot to quote.

It's okay! Doing some googling and looking at videos on youtube my memory doesn't seem like it's that game in particular as I don't remember there being any timer or enemies and the options for architecture seems different, more just a free roam architecture like creator, though maybe my memory is of or as a child I didn't know of certain modes/times/enemy possibilties that you could do with it too.

I think there was a level in the maingame where you went through a large bamboo forest if my memory is correct, not sure if theres one like that in tenchu 2.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay! Doing some googling and looking at videos on youtube my memory doesn't seem like it's that game in particular as I don't remember there being any timer or enemies and the options for architecture seems different, more just a free roam architecture like creator, though maybe my memory is of or as a child I didn't know of certain modes/times/enemy possibilties that you could do with it too.

I think there was a level in the maingame where you went through a large bamboo forest if my memory is correct, not sure if theres one like that in tenchu 2.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it was Tenchu all along and my memory just remembered certain things differently. Thanks for the help!
happy to help.
i did a bit of googling to find out if there was an editor in any of the other games i couldn't remember and it turns out there is an alternate version of the first game with extra levels and a level editor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenchu:_Stealth_Assassins
Tenchu: Shinobi Gaisen
Tenchu was re-released in Japan on February 24, 1999 with many updates, including different mission layouts, all the stages seen in the American and European versions (levels 4 and 5 were missing in the original) and four selectable languages: Japanese, English, Italian and French.

The main feature of this version was its mission editor. The possibilities in creating missions were endless and it generated a special edition disc with the 100 best missions created by Japanese players called Tenchu: Shinobi Hyakusen.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to remember this one game I played before. It was either an Xbox or Dreamcast title (I think it was Dreamcast though). All I remember is it was a 3d beat em up @ 60fps. Kind of like a 3d golden axe or something with a medieval setting? I also remember the intro having a overly dramatic narrator that made us laugh back then

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to remember this one game I played before. It was either an Xbox or Dreamcast title (I think it was Dreamcast though). All I remember is it was a 3d beat em up @ 60fps. Kind of like a 3d golden axe or something with a medieval setting? I also remember the intro having a overly dramatic narrator that made us laugh back then

Looking through the list of Dreamcast games these stand out as possibilities.

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
Gauntlet Legends
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Soul Fighter?

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
This is ridiculous, but I finally found the Japanese indie games that I was looking for as I randomly found one on a compilation video of Arkanoid clones that led me in the right direction. It looks like they are from around 2003, although I am still pretty sure that I played them around 2005. I'll put this here in case for some ungodly reason someone else is looking for these same games.

The first game is called "Kurukuru UFO." I could only find a forum post and a couple of screenshots so I figure this was a ridiculously obscure game even by my standards. I definitely got some of the details wrong by the looks of things. Although it was freeware, I doubt that it is available to download anymore. Edit: Found a video:

The second is a came called "Smashset." I could find some videos of this on Youtube and it basically looks as I remember it, but like "Kurukuru UFO" I doubt that this freeware game is available anywhere anymore. Below are some of the only "clean" clip fragments that I could find:

Hope that this isn't bad of me to repost, but I want to find out either of these games if it possible. I am looking for two games that I think were made by the same Japanese indie developer for the PC around 10 years ago. I suspect that asking here is my best chance to find out what they were and is still a ridiculous long shot.

The first is a VS game where you play as large UFOs in on a small 2d screen. You would each have two or three artillery stars that would rotate around both you and your opponent. The objective was to shoot your opponent, so that would require you to strafe around your opponent until they came into range of your guns. I remember that the graphics were cartoony with thick outlines, and the gameplay felt arcade-y and bouncy.

The second game is a Arkanoid clone that played at a 3/4 fixed perspective. The bricks were stacked up on top of each other, so it would normally take multiple hits to destroy each tower. However, one of the core mechanics was to let your ship stop and line up shots which would blast the ball out into the playing field destroying all of the towers in its path. This mechanic also introduced a method to get rid of power downs (of which there were many). I remember that the aesthetics involved lots of dice faces for some reason.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Got a really hard one.
Amiga 500.
Probably a PD game, it came in a Spanish magazine.

Top down space shooter.
Asteroid-like control scheme.
Left and right would rotate your ship, up and down would make it move forward and backwards.
The peculiarity though is your ship would stay in the centre of the screen pointing up, and the screen was rotating around it instead (think Namco's Assault, or Drift Out, or Contra 3 even stages etc).

Edit: actually like Seek and Destroy and maybe some of the levels in Psygnosis' Awesome.

Obviously backdrops were simple starfields.
Had a split screen 2 players coop mode.

Very fast and definitely 50fps. Fun as hell

Lol, nevermind, thought it would be harder.
Game is Transplant. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a screenshot on Twitter of a game. It looked like a hand drawn or pixelated 2d horror game. There was a gas station with a giant horse head on the roof. I thought I saved the tweet to check the game out later but I didn't. Any ideas?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I saw a screenshot on Twitter of a game. It looked like a hand drawn or pixelated 2d horror game. There was a gas station with a giant horse head on the roof. I thought I saved the tweet to check the game out later but I didn't. Any ideas?
Kentucky Route Zero

owwAZwDZKdapp8TCgRfTFN-1200-80.jpg.webp

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
To this day I'm trying to find 1 game and 2 demos that I played when I was a teenager (end of 90s).

- The game was an Isometric view fantasy game. I remember that I had a champion with mana/life and a map. I cant be sure but I think I could create minions. There was no lanes, it was an open map. It had that edgy/dark theme. All I can remember is this. (EDIT: as far as I remember there was no story in the game. you chose the champion and the map that thats it)

- This demo was a battleship game but with a Pirate theme. I think it was kind of cartoonish. It had voices and a good animation when you hit the ship.

- This other demo was a tetris kind of game but the only thing falling was a block with a card stamp in it (ace of spades, 1 of hearts, etc). You could clean the board doing poker sequences like flush, 3 of a kind, etc. It had a old west theme/dark.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I think I've asked about this before, got the name and lost it again 😳

It was a PC game from the 90s, made by a British dev IIRC. 2D sidescroller where you picked up various drugs, and learned about the effects of drugs (I think they also affected gameplay, like heroin would make you slow, speed would make you superfast, LSD/acid/ecstasy/shrooms would make the visuals trip balls etc). Anyone remembers the name?

Edit: Found it, it was Wrecked

Last edited:

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
Not something like Magic The Gathering Battlemage, is it?

No, it was more "dark". the maps usually were to look like stone. The mana/hp were diablo like I think? a globe with both in it divided. and the camera was more diablo like. I think one of the champions looked like an angel and there was a woman too to choose

Phoenix4

Oct 28, 2017
Ok something i've been trying to remember for decades. Not that the game was amazing but it's weird that i haven't seen it anywhere since. Hope someone can remember this one:

- PC game somewhere from the late 90's/early 00's. I'm guessing somewhere '98/'99.
- 3D graphics - Voodoo 2 era
- Platformer kind of game
- You could take over identities of various characters with unique abilities (all human, it's not Spacestation Silicon Valley). I think over 100 different ones (which was part of the marketing?)
- I believe all characters where small/chibi-like
- modern environments? I'm thinking of a construction level but not sure.

anyone any ideas?

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Ok something i've been trying to remember for decades. Not that the game was amazing but it's weird that i haven't seen it anywhere since. Hope someone can remember this one:

- PC game somewhere from the late 90's/early 00's. I'm guessing somewhere '98/'99.
- You could take over identities of various characters with unique abilities (all human, it's not Spacestation Silicon Valley). I think over 100 different ones (which was part of the marketing?)

anyone any ideas?

Messiah?

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

anyone any ideas?
Maybe American McGee's Scrapland?

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know if i'll ever be able to find this game nowadays, but this thread is worth a try.

For starters, it was a heavily stylized PS2 title, must have been old by the time i got it on my hands. Had a strong Eastern vibe, tho i'm not sure at all if it came from there as well.

What i do remember in detail, was the main character holding a hammer as his main weapon, real-time combat in an actual 3D space, with a heavy focus on platforming and its fairly large stages for exploration. The first level took place in a rural plantation area within the night and there was a windmill as a point of interest around the field.

I wasn't able to progress that much since english was way harder for me at the time, tho i can recall another area during the day being filled with lava, while also being able to talk with a NPC there.

I had a really good time with it when i was little, it was very atmospheric and challenging with how it basically dropped you to explore on your own.

Would love to see it again.

Got an update on that...sort of.

I almost had given up on actively searching for this game, but suddenly Matt McMuscles made a video about Maximo Ghosts to Glory and i'm inclined to believe it was either that or its sequel "Army of Zin".

Did my best to describe it a while ago since it has been a long time, though after searching for it now and seeing gameplay it definitely has the atmosphere, combat, platforming, art style and setting i was looking for. The only thing really missing is that from what i remember the main character had an axe/hammer as their main weapon, but i know for a fact you can unlock that in both games.

So i guess it is either a title very familiar and/or based on those two, or i have finally found my lost game (hopefully).

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
you didn't say what system in your post and i can't remember if it had voices but i thought of overboard when reading this.

It was for PC and it was literally a battleship game, like the board, where you had to hit the boat without knowing where it was in the grid. It was 2d. there was a map and I could choose where to hit.

Deleted member 73558

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
Hey, I hope you can find this one. It's been gnawing at me for years. My friend had this game on PC, around the time of the SSI GoldBox series (early 90´s). On the cover there was a huge green creature very well drawn like the cover of the SSI games. The title of the game was maybe Chult or Kult?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Hey, I hope you can find this one. It's been gnawing at me for years. My friend had this game on PC, around the time of the SSI GoldBox series (early 90´s). On the cover there was a huge green creature very well drawn like the cover of the SSI games. The title of the game was maybe Chult or Kult?
oTIwLnA.jpg

"Kult: The Temple of Flying Saucers" also known as "Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess" by the always weird French development team Exxos, which later became Cryo:
www.mobygames.com

Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess (1989) - MobyGames

Set in a post-apocalyptic world, Chamber of The Sci-Mutant Priestess casts you as Raven, a young "Tuner" (psionic mutant), working for the Tuner Netwerk. One day, while out on assignment with his friend Sci Fi, he witnesses the massacre of a "Normal"...

You can even get it on Steam, unfortunately it is the inferior DOS version (using only the drab EGA color palette instead of the beautiful Amiga and Atari ST versions):

Last edited:

Deleted member 73558

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
oTIwLnA.jpg

"Kult: The Temple of Flying Saucers" also known as "Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess" by the always weird French development team Exxos, which later became Cryo:
www.mobygames.com

Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess (1989) - MobyGames

Set in a post-apocalyptic world, Chamber of The Sci-Mutant Priestess casts you as Raven, a young "Tuner" (psionic mutant), working for the Tuner Netwerk. One day, while out on assignment with his friend Sci Fi, he witnesses the massacre of a "Normal"...

You can even get it on Steam, unfortunately it is the inferior DOS version (using only the drab EGA color palette instead of the beautiful Amiga and Atari ST versions):

Holy shit! That's the one. I've been looking for it for so many years.
Thank you so, so much :-)
You're awesome!

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
there was an art/experimental game on pc maybe sometime in 2004-2008 (big range sorry) where all you did was connect to a server for two minutes (i think it was two minutes) and you win, but if someone else uses the client to connect while your connected, you lose.

i knew some blogs wrote about it but all the keywords just bringer up server problems for games in searches