• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if someone knows the name of this game I played in Japanese as a kid and never was able of getting to far as I couldn't figure out how to save:

• SNES JRPG
  • The beginning/nearly beginning is inside a dungeon/tower/temple
  • There are priest/monks NPC at the entrance/in some safe rooms where you can replenish your HP drinking from what it seems to be a jar with holy water
  • The members of your party follow you while walking, they use the previous tiles the leader steeped in
  • An early boos was some kind snake, a half woman half snake chimera, maybe, I am not sure
Maybe even it's a famous game, I am not versed on jrpgs outside FF

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see if someone knows the name of this game I played in Japanese as a kid and never was able of getting to far as I couldn't figure out how to save:

• SNES JRPG
  • There are priest/monks NPC at the entrance/in some safe rooms where you can replenish your HP drinking from what it seems to be a jar with holy water
  • The members of your party follow you while walking, they use the previous tiles the leader steeped in
  • An early boos was some kind snake, a half woman half snake chimera, maybe, I am not sure

Final Fantasy 3(6)?

The HP replenishment bit:

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 3(6)?

The HP replenishment bit:

No, it isn't FF 4, 5 or 6

I remember the starting dungeon being a building, a tower or temple, not a mine, it had about 3 floors, and there were priests at the entrance and at a resting room where you could heal drinking from those jars

It wasn't lufia either (the characters follow you while walking)

I wonder if I am making it up by mixing a lot of memories :p

Thanks for helping

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
While browsing Twitter earlier today I briefly saw a furry RPGMaker game having a store page on Steam with a message saying that its coming soon. It used to be Japan only as a game however its apparently receiving an English translation. However, Twitter did its weird thing where it removes tweets from your timeline when you try to click on them; can anyone help me find what this game was?

EDIT: Nvm I found it

Last edited:

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Okay, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of this MMO I played 15 years ago.

It was a 2D MMO, I think Korean, and I remember a fire level, an ice level, and some cool mini-games you play against others. I've searched a bunch of lists but can't find the name and it is bugging me!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird one.

It's a C64 game, a side scroller. You're a guy that walks through a town, you can travel back and forth. Almost proto-GTA-like, you could say. I think the name was really long-winded, like four or five words maybe. I remember fences and a black/purple-ish color motif. That's it, that's all I remember lol.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a (free, I think?) sidescroller that takes place in a castle or something (it was purplish), with its own level editor on PC (Windows)? I completely forgot what it was called and I can't even find anything about it

Also, there was an educational game that had took place in a garden porch with some mini-games taking place similarly to Zoombinis. Most important thing I remember is that it featured a splash screen for the old Made with Macromedia (or Quicktime) logo, and it might've been a Sesame Street game.

Context: both games are around the 90s (and maybe early 2000s, before 2004)

Last edited:

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• SNES JRPG

Stab in the dark here but is it possibly Breath of Fire? Probably the first game and not the sequel.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
This is a weird one.

It's a C64 game, a side scroller. You're a guy that walks through a town, you can travel back and forth. Almost proto-GTA-like, you could say. I think the name was really long-winded, like four or five words maybe. I remember fences and a black/purple-ish color motif. That's it, that's all I remember lol.
Not a C64 game but there was one on the Spectrum called 'Contact Sam Cruise' that had you walking around a city trying to solve a murder.

3eabe27a-8824-4d9c-aeaf-11066cd2ef14.jpg

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Here's one that recently popped into my mind:

Either PS1 or PS2, a racing game where you drive mini cars (as in small), in a sort of over the top racing view/helicopter eye. I think there were like loads of cars per race, like 50 or so. Might have been RC car inspired.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game sometime in 2003 at a friend's house. It was on OG Xbox. We played 3-player co-op (Same Screen) which makes me believe there is 4-player co-op. It is a brawler with isometric view. The charachters were humans with a modern day setting. I remember there was a playable female character.

It wasn't Kung Fu Chaos, was it?

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stab in the dark here but is it possibly Breath of Fire? Probably the first game and not the sequel.
No, it isn't Breath of Fire

I don't remember it being so colorful and with sprites so big, what I recall is closer to FF IV on art/technical achievement

Well, it wasn't as grim as the FF IV palette, but I would say it was less colorful than say FF V

Thanks

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of this MMO I played 15 years ago.

It was a 2D MMO, I think Korean, and I remember a fire level, an ice level, and some cool mini-games you play against others. I've searched a bunch of lists but can't find the name and it is bugging me!
Maple Story is a 2D MMO, made by Nexon (a Korean publisher), so I would guess that's what you're looking for.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's one that recently popped into my mind:

Either PS1 or PS2, a racing game where you drive mini cars (as in small), in a sort of over the top racing view/helicopter eye. I think there were like loads of cars per race, like 50 or so. Might have been RC car inspired.

I'm assuming it wasn't Micro Machines? There was another game which was similar to this but I don't remember what it was called.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Ok, I've got one. I think it's a CD-i game where you play as a wizard and it's and most importantly isometric. (Might also be SNES.)

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
This is gonna be a hard one because it was a web game, like those flash games... it was about a pig? in a desert, I think he was a cowboy, or the setting was western-cowboyish. it was 8-bit, sidescroller, plataformer....

one thing I remember is that you could jump on light posts, like climb them... I was a little kid when I played it, I can't even remember the website. hope someone can help me!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be a hard one because it was a web game, like those flash games... it was about a pig? in a desert, I think he was a cowboy, or the setting was western-cowboyish. it was 8-bit, sidescroller, plataformer....

one thing I remember is that you could jump on light posts, like climb them... I was a little kid when I played it, I can't even remember the website. hope someone can help me!
Save the Sheriff?

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
No, it isn't Breath of Fire

I don't remember it being so colorful and with sprites so big, what I recall is closer to FF IV on art/technical achievement

Well, it wasn't as grim as the FF IV palette, but I would say it was less colorful than say FF V

Thanks

There aren't that many candidates. SNES, JRPG, Japanese. If you look up a list and then YouTube each you will probably find it in no time.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

• SNES JRPG

I've played almost every SNES RPG in my days, but this one isn't ringing a bell.

I can't think of a whole lot of SNES RPGs that show your party members following behind you similar to Lufia, but with graphics on par with FF4.

I'll do some digging when I get home later today because this has my interest.

It could be a Japanese only release that I somehow can't remember offhand. Do you know what year you played it and if it was a new release at the time or not?

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There aren't that many candidates. SNES, JRPG, Japanese. If you look up a list and then YouTube each you will probably find it in no time.
I have looked at list of best, worst, unknown, japan only and not found this game

That makes me think it could had been a bootleg

It could be a Japanese only release that I somehow can't remember offhand. Do you know what year you played it and if it was a new release at the time or not?
I got it as a gift about 1999-2000, it didn't have a box and the cartridge label was black with the title in white or gray/silver so it was either used or pirated, but regarding the game itself it think it was a legit production, it looked consistent and not some assets glued together

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
I have looked at list of best, worst, unknown, japan only and not found this game

I got it as a gift about 1999-2000, it didn't have a box and the cartridge label was black with the title in white or gray/silver so it was either used or pirated, but regarding the game itself it think it was a legit production, it looked consistent and not some assets glued together

Doubt it's any of the SNES Dragon quest games since they are somewhat colorful.

Dragon quest 2 through 6 had party members follow you and were on SNES, maybe you had a fan translation cartridge?

Mystic Quest sorta fits the color pallette you mention but party members don't trail behind you.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019

Hmm interesting mystery. I'm at loss though if you have already checked lists... perhaps the scene(s) you remember are simply too hard to recall when watching quick summary clips. As gift in 1999-2000, that's way past last official release I believe.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't meet all the criteria mentioned but could it be Lagoon?
220px-Lagoon_snes_gameplay.png

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it's any of the SNES Dragon quest games since they are somewhat colorful.

Dragon quest 2 through 6 had party members follow you and were on SNES, maybe you had a fan translation cartridge?

Mystic Quest sorta fits the color pallette you mention but party members don't trail behind you.
I had a look at longplays of those, MQ has a colour palette that could be it but the hub during battles doesn't look like what I remember, I don't think it's a DQ either, from 3 onwards it's too colourful and I don't think it's 1&2, the tiling of that one is too primitive and too colourful too
Hmm interesting mystery. I'm at loss though if you have already checked lists... perhaps the scene(s) you remember are simply too hard to recall when watching quick summary clips. As gift in 1999-2000, that's way past last official release I believe.
That's cerrtainly possible :p

It doesn't meet all the criteria mentioned but could it be Lagoon?
220px-Lagoon_snes_gameplay.png
No, I am certain it was turn based, not action RPG

Thanks all for the help

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I had a look at longplays of those, MQ has a colour palette that could be it but the hub during battles doesn't look like what I remember, I don't think it's a DQ either, from 3 onwards it's too colourful and I don't think it's 1&2, the tiling of that one is too primitive and too colourful too

Thanks all for the help

And you don't remember something from lists such as this one?

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Thanks all for the help

Here is a helpful list I found, each game showing off two screenshots of both in and out of battle.

https://www.listal.com/list/snes-rpgs-paulojrmam

This lists seems focused on turn based ones.

Oct 28, 2017
i remember playing a game on pc conceptually similar to lemmings but on isometric point of view, you could give some brown-looking monsters various tools to make them perform specific tasks and reach the end of the level
all i remember was the line "i HATE pogosticks"

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have been looking at games on both lists and had no luck

Well, through this search I discovered rudra no hihou that looks very good so it wasn't totally in vain :)

This game has always been so elusive, I bet if I ever find it it won't even be good :P

0xBADC0FFEE

Principal Gameplay Programmer @ Splash Damage
Verified
Dec 2, 2017
London
This is a weird one.

Rags to Riches?

0xBADC0FFEE

Principal Gameplay Programmer @ Splash Damage
Verified
Dec 2, 2017
London
i remember playing a game on pc conceptually similar to lemmings but on isometric point of view, you could give some brown-looking monsters various tools to make them perform specific tasks and reach the end of the level
all i remember was the line "i HATE pogosticks"
mmh, could be Gruntz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v57I_LbcAs (it's a great game btw)

They mentioned it was Happiest Days of Your Life further up this page.

oh sorry, both interesting games, the c64 was full of weird stuff

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I remember a friend recommended to me a very unique game but I don't remember the name.

I'm 80% sure it was a SNES game, and 90% sure it was never released outside Japan. The game had several different stories (8, I think), each one focused on a different character, and the thing is that, for each story the gameplay was completely different. Like, one path was a fighting game, the other was a RPG, there was another that was a platformer...

I remember the selection screen had the character portraits to choose from, kinda like MegaMan, and they were drawn in a cartoon/anime style.

It sounded like a very interesting game, but I can't remember what it was.

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
I got one:

PC multiplayer shooter that came out around 2002 or 2003. Team based, only had a couple of levels with one being in the snow. I think it was a multiplayer test or something because I remember it being free to play. Any takers?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
So I remember a friend recommended to me a very unique game but I don't remember the name.

I'm 80% sure it was a SNES game, and 90% sure it was never released outside Japan. The game had several different stories (8, I think), each one focused on a different character, and the thing is that, for each story the gameplay was completely different. Like, one path was a fighting game, the other was a RPG, there was another that was a platformer...

I remember the selection screen had the character portraits to choose from, kinda like MegaMan, and they were drawn in a cartoon/anime style.

It sounded like a very interesting game, but I can't remember what it was.
Maybe Live-A-Live? (Nr. 9 in this video:)

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Arghh hopefully someone knows this.
I'm looking for a local co-op game, I think it's available on Switch. It's a Japanese indie game, has a very simple style. Every player controls a block or cube like character with cat features, and it's a side scrolling platformer where you have to overcome obstacles by stacking on top of each other so the player on top is high enough to jump and leap over a gap, that kinda stuff.
I believe someone made a thread about it on era recently but I've been searching for over an hour and can't find.

I got friends coming over tonight and was planning on playing this :(

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Arghh hopefully someone knows this.
I'm looking for a local co-op game, I think it's available on Switch. It's a Japanese indie game, has a very simple style. Every player controls a block or cube like character with cat features, and it's a side scrolling platformer where you have to overcome obstacles by stacking on top of each other so the player on top is high enough to jump and leap over a gap, that kinda stuff.
I believe someone made a thread about it on era recently but I've been searching for over an hour and can't find.

I got friends coming over tonight and was planning on playing this :(
Boxboy and Boxgirl?
www.nintendo.com

BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL!™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL!™ and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.