• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Axe Warrior?

Warsong?

Could it be Golvellius Valley of Doom?

It isn't either of these, but boy they sure are exactly what I was describing. I think the more I look at Master System footage the more I believe it couldn't have been a Master System game. The closest maybe I've found to date are Neutopia 1 & 2 on PC Engine, which both very much look like the game I remember, but the game I saw was at my Uncle's and I just can't imagine him ever having owned a PC Engine / Turbografx when I know that he at least had had a Genesis and possibly a Master System at some point.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It isn't either of these, but boy they sure are exactly what I was describing. I think the more I look at Master System footage the more I believe it couldn't have been a Master System game. The closest maybe I've found to date are Neutopia 1 & 2 on PC Engine, which both very much look like the game I remember, but the game I saw was at my Uncle's and I just can't imagine him ever having owned a PC Engine / Turbografx when I know that he at least had had a Genesis and possibly a Master System at some point.

I also added Ys: The Vanished Omens for Master System, it wasn't that either?

If it was a Genesis game, then ATM at least, I can only think of some of the obvious ones like Crusader of Centy (aka Soleil in Europe) and Beyond Oasis.

Last edited:

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Genesis game. It was a sort of turn-based RPG/strategy game, but instead of having characters you had basically different units - dragons, soldiers, magicians. Each group of units had a number in the corner of it showing you how many of that particular unit you had remaining. You could move them around spots on a battlefield, a limited number of spaces per turn.
King's Bounty?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I've got one I've never been able to find but I think it's my own fault as there are many on the list that are in the maybe pile. It was on a sega platform, either Genesis or Master System, I believe Master System but I'm not certain. It was a zelda-like but featured text boxes and dialogue with at least on area where you could interact with another caracter.

could it be The Story of Thor?

29671_79b9dd4c9c1fba6fd9191f67b34460e09fefcf3e.png

beyondoasis_011-e1515600787714.png

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Now I need some help!

An RPG for Mega Drive / Genesis (or CD) that either got released as something else, or maybe it was canceled.

33Nklar.jpg

That's not Phantasy Star III or IV, but if I saw that screenshot without those words, I'd have thought the same thing as the editor.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Eastern Themed Super Nintendo game.

2D sidescrolling game with bosses at the end of each level.

The 4th, 5th and 6th levels were similar to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels respectively, but much harder and with different bosses.

I don't remember the first boss, they were really easy.

The second boss was like a hopping rock creature, kind of reminded me of a thwomp from Mario lol.

3rd boss was a significant difficulty spike for me, they were some sort of mud monster that you fought in a shallow pool of mud.

4th boss was a Kappa like creature would emerge from a pool liquid surrounding you, and there was a solid platform in the middle of the arena.

5th was a Dogo like creature at first, but then they shift into some sort of groos slime creature after you destroy their armor.

6th boss was a sort of dark knight warrior guy. Don't remember too much about them.

The seventh level was HARD.
I never beat it.
First section was a breeze, but the second area was some punishing platforming on a bunch skulls mounted on pikes.
I never beat that part...
For some reason I remember the seventh level was named to be some type of prison?
I'm not sure.

Please help, I've been trying to identify this game for over a decade!
Sounds like Musya. I was hyped for that game before release but it wasn't that great.

Now I need some help!

An RPG for Mega Drive / Genesis (or CD) that either got released as something else, or maybe it was canceled.

33Nklar.jpg

That's not Phantasy Star III or IV, but if I saw that screenshot without those words, I'd have thought the same thing as the editor.
I thought that was a prototype Phantasy Star game, too.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
There was a demo I had for PS1.

You were driving in a tank or hovercraft type vehicle. But it was first person I think (so the view would be like, mounted on the hood).

You'd expore these tunnels that looked like old sewer tunnels or underground base or something. In the demo, you had 999 of each weapon. You had something like machine guns, rockets, and a bigger mini-nuke type of bomb.

You'd travel down these tunnels shooting enemies (enemy vehicles I guess), and blowing up barriers to proceed. Eventually, you'd blow up whatever the goal was (a reactor?), and then would have to make it back to the exit before time ran out.

I only played the demo, and never saw it again as far as I can remember.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

You were driving in a tank or hovercraft type vehicle. But it was first person I think (so the view would be like, mounted on the hood).

You'd expore these tunnels that looked like old sewer tunnels or underground base or something. In the demo, you had 999 of each weapon. You had something like machine guns, rockets, and a bigger mini-nuke type of bomb.

You'd travel down these tunnels shooting enemies (enemy vehicles I guess), and blowing up barriers to proceed. Eventually, you'd blow up whatever the goal was (a reactor?), and then would have to make it back to the exit before time ran out.

Tunnel B1?

The game had an amazing Soundtrack by Chris Huelsbeck (and that was the only good thing about this game, unfortunately):

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Tunnel B1 maybe

Edit: beaten.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I eventually bought Dahna when I found it locally at a pawn shop in 1997. It was always on my to-play list from that magazine coverage years earlier.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I eventually bought Dahna when I found it locally at a pawn shop in 1997. It was always on my to-play list from that magazine coverage years earlier.

I've played both Dahna and Musya through emulation but would've bought domestic versions had they been released in the U.S. Neither game is truly outstanding but still worth playing.

BTW guys, I'd love to see a definitive answer on that supposed new Phantasy Star game. The screenshot is from, maybe late 1990 or early '91. If it's from a game that got released I think it could've been released anywhere from '91 to '93. I cannot nail it down to the exact year.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
BTW guys, I'd love to see a definitive answer on that supposed new Phantasy Star game. The screenshot is from, maybe late 1990 or early '91. If it's from a game that got released I think it could've been released anywhere from '91 to '93. I cannot nail it down to the exact year.
It looks like it could be a prototype screenshot from Sorcerer's Kingdom? The shot is really blurry, but some of the trees in the combat screenshots here look similar (if a little taller) and the protagonist's outfit looks sort of blueish like the one here...

sonkilmoon

Nov 3, 2017
indie game that was shown during indiecade around 2012? side scrolling with black female protagonist. all i remember is she was sitting beside a bus or van looking all depressed and the visuals being pretty

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a kids learning game that I played a lot when I was a kid. The parts I remember were multi choice stuff where you had to press either a dark blue button or an orange button. There was also a group of characters that talked to you but I can't remember if they were animals or not. This ring a bell for anyone? I reckon this game is about 15-20 years old at this point given my age now. Hopefully that helps.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember there was a NES game (at least I think it was NES as that's what my babysitter had as a kid and I feel as though that's where I played this) where it was two player, and it was a 2D platformer/shooter like Contra, but you played as robots or something. The graphics were really simple, the gameplay was fast and difficult.

You might've even played as a red robot and the 2nd player played as a blue one, but I might be wrong on that. I've never been able to find it since.

Important point: the colours were EXTREMELY simple. Like white and red screens and that was it - no full-colour Contra style graphics.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
I remember there was a NES game (at least I think it was NES as that's what my babysitter had as a kid and I feel as though that's where I played this) where it was two player, and it was a 2D platformer/shooter like Contra, but you played as robots or something. The graphics were really simple, the gameplay was fast and difficult.

You might've even played as a red robot and the 2nd player played as a blue one, but I might be wrong on that. I've never been able to find it since.

Important point: the colours were EXTREMELY simple. Like white and red screens and that was it - no full-colour Contra style graphics.

colours are wrong but the first thing i thought of was probotector

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
colours are wrong but the first thing i thought of was probotector

I don't think so.....good try though. Also what the hell? I've never seen this game but what's up with the completely re-purposed Contra levels?

EDIT: Ahh, Euro-Contra - nah, we were in Canada so it wouldn't have been that.

What I remember looks a lot like Powerblade, but that doesn't seem to be 2-player..and even that looks more colourful than the game I'm remembering, but honestly it might just be that I'm remembering something that never actually existed lol.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the west Contra was reskinned to have robots instead of humans because censorship and violent videogames.
Gotcha gotcha, thanks for that info!

What I remember looks a lot like Powerblade, but that doesn't seem to be 2-player..and even that looks more colourful than the game I'm remembering, but honestly it might just be that I'm remembering something that never actually existed lol.

(copied from above post)

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It looks like it could be a prototype screenshot from Sorcerer's Kingdom? The shot is really blurry, but some of the trees in the combat screenshots here look similar (if a little taller) and the protagonist's outfit looks sort of blueish like the one here...

Holy shit, you did it, that's it! Thank you so much.

Edit: confirmed.

BTW the screenshot was in this issue of Mega Play magazine.

RDrvsXf.jpg

Volume 2 Number 3 - May/June 1991.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
YES! that's the one, thank you! Might have to hunt down a copy

It's actually open source and has been supported for a while. The latest version was released a couple months ago;

You can download the campaign videos as separate files as well, but the entire campaign is there. It's a very nice little strategy game if you can get into the atmosphere of the thing. It really captures the idea of a post-apocalyptic landscape well.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably going to be a silly one. The game had a particular way in which inventory could be handled.

It was an RPG, several years old now, and when you picked something up, a weapon or something that you didn't want, you could "Mark as Junk", and it would shuffle it off to another page of the inventory screen where all the vendor trash went. You could of course undo it if you accidentally put something there.

Then, when you went to a vendor, you could just click on "Sell all Junk" (I think you had to hold the button down) and it would get rid of all of it in one fell swoop.

I don't even want to play the game, but I'm going through some of my current older RPGs like Skyrim and it doesn't have that feature, and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it. From Googling, it looks like Kingdoms of Amalur might have had it, but the one I'm thinking of was more recent than that. Some of the more recent looter-shooters also seem to have it, but I haven't played any of those.

Thanks in advance!

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Mid eighties maybe? Apple // era.

Side scrolling, I think pretty simple outline graphics, started with a drawbridge into a castle. Want to say sort of adventure like game, maybe played a bit like prince of persia. This is realllly spotty memory. I tried looking through some of the Apple// game archives but could never find it.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Side scrolling, I think pretty simple outline graphics, started with a drawbridge into a castle. Want to say sort of adventure like game, maybe played a bit like prince of persia. This is realllly spotty memory. I tried looking through some of the Apple// game archives but could never find it.
Could it be Dark Castle on Mac instead of Apple II?

edit - It's also on Apple IIGS

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably going to be a silly one. The game had a particular way in which inventory could be handled.

It was an RPG, several years old now, and when you picked something up, a weapon or something that you didn't want, you could "Mark as Junk", and it would shuffle it off to another page of the inventory screen where all the vendor trash went. You could of course undo it if you accidentally put something there.

Then, when you went to a vendor, you could just click on "Sell all Junk" (I think you had to hold the button down) and it would get rid of all of it in one fell swoop.

I don't even want to play the game, but I'm going through some of my current older RPGs like Skyrim and it doesn't have that feature, and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it. From Googling, it looks like Kingdoms of Amalur might have had it, but the one I'm thinking of was more recent than that. Some of the more recent looter-shooters also seem to have it, but I haven't played any of those.

Thanks in advance!

I want to say every Dragon Age has it. Could only find these screenshots from the first two though:

maxresdefault.jpg

2453-1-1302356344.jpg

But yeah it's relatively common I think

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

Holy crap, I think I found it, after like 4 or 5 times looking for it over the years.

https://archive.org/details/TalesOfFantasy4amCrack (if you want to play it) I really dont remember much about it, though I kind of remember there being a text parser. Pretty sure this is it though! Right release timeframe, distributed to educators (so, in a grade school classroom), mostly monochromatic, and a drawbridge on the first screen.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
There was a game that released a trailer recently but I can't remember the name. It looks like an Elder Scrolls game but it has 2-player coop and I believe they're having a beta phase for it right now.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
This is a pretty recent game but its for the switch, it has a neon art style and you play as a girl who's beating up gang members and the music is awesome

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Any chance this is Rolling Thunder?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance!
It's probably not the game you're thinking of, but just in case: I've just finished Spiderweb Software's Avernum, and it has a junk bag mechanic almost exactly like that. It's possible that maybe one of Spiderweb's later titles refines it further, and at the rate they're churned out, there's bound to be a Spiderweb release in the ballpark era you're thinking of.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC Game, gun and run, you play as an armored soldier, gameplay wise it feels a lot like Metal Warriors and, aesthetically, Judge Dredd. In the very first moment of the first level, there's a vista with a skyline from a futuristic city.

Last edited: