• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I'm trying to Find a game that i played in my childhood on my 286 pc.
It was a sci fi Game and you were this guy going around some sort of base or space station and at one point you get on a ship and at the captain's chair you have to input some code or coordinates to advance. Never got past that part as i never Did Find them.
The graphics were pretty basic (cartoon like) with it just showing an area (environment) and i think you Could use the arrows to get to the next area (which would trigger a walking animation of the Main character)and mouse (if i remember correctly) to click on items in the scene.

The Dig?

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019

Nope. I would Say the graphics in the game i'm talking about were worse. More pixelated. While in the base it had a sort of MIB feel to it with al sorts of aliens around. And the main character or a secondary one reminded me of Zapp brannigan from futurama. At least thats how i remember it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade game that I played in the 90s. It was a western styled beatemup where items and weapons would be held in barrels. It was a traditional beat em up but I can't for the life of me find it or figure out who made it. It played very similar to something like Final Fight, but with cowboys.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade game that I played in the 90s. It was a western styled beatemup where items and weapons would be held in barrels. It was a traditional beat em up but I can't for the life of me find it or figure out who made it. It played very similar to something like Final Fight, but with cowboys.

I'm guessing it's probably Growl (Runark in Japan).

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A NES game where you play as triton and needs to collect treasures around different sea levels. A friend of mine had it and I enjoy it a lot when I was a kid.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I'm trying to Find a game that i played in my childhood on my 286 pc.
It was a sci fi Game and you were this guy going around some sort of base or space station and at one point you get on a ship and at the captain's chair you have to input some code or coordinates to advance. Never got past that part as i never Did Find them.
The graphics were pretty basic (cartoon like) with it just showing an area (environment) and i think you Could use the arrows to get to the next area (which would trigger a walking animation of the Main character)and mouse (if i remember correctly) to click on items in the scene.
Could it be one of the Space Quest games?

space-quest-i-roger-wilco-in-the-sarien-encounter_21.gif

79_4.jpg

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
This is a long shot because I can remember so little but it was a Runescape-like game in the look and also the gameplay.

I think there was a rose motif, maybe the name had something to do with flowers. There was an emphasis on levelling up skills similar to Runescape and I remember it being a browser game and the first few areas/first town were black/red coloured. I'd say it was early 2000s and it was 100% online only.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
So, there was this game that got announced earlier this year - I believe at a Nintendo Direct - that is about a woman travelling in alaska with her dog sleigh, first person and in the trailer she is jumped by a bear...

If anyone can tell me the name, I can't find anywhere hahahaha

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
I have one for you. I really though this was developed by Spectrum Holobyte, but now I am not too sure.

This game came out in the mid nineties. You were a polygon space tank and began each level by dropping down from something. It played in first person. You had a radar and shot triangle bullets towards different enemies. When done you went back up into the sky. This was definitely not BattleZone.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one for you. I really though this was developed by Spectrum Holobyte, but now I am not too sure.

This game came out in the mid nineties. You were a polygon space tank and began each level by dropping down from something. It played in first person. You had a radar and shot triangle bullets towards different enemies. When done you went back up into the sky. This was definitely not BattleZone.
Spectre?

Fattsson

Jan 21, 2018
I'd like to know the name of a game I played on a Macintosh in the late 90's. The

It was an isometric shooter, if my memories are correct.

The character you played as was some kind of a soldier I think. He had big muscles and said things like "No more mr. nice guy!"

There might have been a level where you're enemies were dinosaurs.

That's about everything I remember and that's why it has been so difficult to find the answer.

I hope someone knows what game I'm talking about. :)

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to know the name of a game I played on a Macintosh in the late 90's. The

It was an isometric shooter, if my memories are correct.

The character you played as was some kind of a soldier I think. He had big muscles and said things like "No more mr. nice guy!"

There might have been a level where you're enemies were dinosaurs.

That's about everything I remember and that's why it has been so difficult to find the answer.

I hope someone knows what game I'm talking about. :)
Power Pete?

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I am trying to remember the name of this bizarre Sega Genesis game I used to play and I have too little to go off of for Google apparently. It was sort of like this mini-game type game with a variety of wacky challenges and weird anthropomorphic animal type characters. And it's too hard to describe other than that lol. I remember some button masher that used to suck and some trampoline bouncer game but yeah agh details are eluding me.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am trying to remember the name of this bizarre Sega Genesis game I used to play and I have too little to go off of for Google apparently. It was sort of like this mini-game type game with a variety of wacky challenges and weird anthropomorphic animal type characters. And it's too hard to describe other than that lol. I remember some button masher that used to suck and some trampoline bouncer game but yeah agh details are eluding me.
It's not something like Tiny Toon Adventures ACME All-Stars is it?

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
It's not something like Tiny Toon Adventures ACME All-Stars is it?
No although I remember having fun with that! Whatever it was it wasn't from any sort of known franchise, I have to imagine it was a one-off thing.

Also I want to say some of the creatures were amphibious maybe?

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
I keep thinking about this one, hoping you folks might be able to help me out:
It's this racing game featuring futuristic boats/hovercrafts. There were multiple maps with varied terrain: water, ice and even lava. You could pick up powerups/weapons scattered over the level. The game had a very early-3D look. I also remember your opponents occasionally sending text-based taunts your way.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's this racing game featuring futuristic boats/hovercrafts. There were multiple maps with varied terrain: water, ice and even lava. You could pick up powerups/weapons scattered over the level. The game had a very early-3D look. I also remember your opponents occasionally sending text-based taunts your way.
Is it Hydro Thunder? I don't remember any lava levels but everything else matches up.
edit: Could also be Hyperdrive. This used basically the same cabinet as Hydro Thunder but came out earlier.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
Is it Hydro Thunder? I don't remember any lava levels but everything else matches up.
edit: Could also be Hyperdrive. This used basically the same cabinet as Hydro Thunder but came out earlier.

Hm, when you mentioned Hydro Thunder it rang a bell somewhere so I thought you found it. Looking at some gameplay however, I'm sure neither Hydro Thunder nor Hyperdrive are what I'm looking for. Maybe the game predated even early 3D graphics as I remember the game looking nowhere near as good as either suggestion. I do feel like Hydro Thunder gets very close though, almost as if it's a remake/re-release of the game. I should mention that I played the game of PC back when I was a child. I don't know if it was available on other platforms at the time.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Hm, when you mentioned Hydro Thunder it rang a bell somewhere so I thought you found it. Looking at some gameplay however, I'm sure neither Hydro Thunder nor Hyperdrive are what I'm looking for. Maybe the game predated even early 3D graphics as I remember the game looking nowhere near as good as either suggestion. I do feel like Hydro Thunder gets very close though, almost as if it's a remake/re-release of the game. I should mention that I played the game of PC back when I was a child. I don't know if it was available on other platforms at the time.

If it was on PC, Hi Octane strikes me as a possibility, although that still didn't have wildly varied terrain. Can you put a date on it?

Another vague possibility is Slipstream 5000

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
If it was on PC, Hi Octane strikes me as a possibility, although that still didn't have wildly varied terrain. Can you put a date on it?

Another vague possibility is Slipstream 5000

Nah, those aren't it either. I'm pretty sure the game was from before 2000 as I remember not being too impressed with the graphics even back then.

To give you an idea of what it looked like, look up Shattered Steel (I can't seem to add links right now) and take a look at the terrain. The whole game basically looked something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
There was this one NES game where you rescue POWs or hostages in an enemy base, and you're given a grenade that's needed to clear the stage.
I remember most of how the game works, but I keep forgetting the title.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

It's Playstation 1 game (Edit : apparently it's also available on PC ?), but hovercraft and lava/water terrain reminds me of Jet Moto. I don't recall weapons/powerup though.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, those aren't it either. I'm pretty sure the game was from before 2000 as I remember not being too impressed with the graphics even back then.

To give you an idea of what it looked like, look up Shattered Steel (I can't seem to add links right now) and take a look at the terrain. The whole game basically looked something like that.
Another possibility from that era would be POD (aka Planet Of Destruction)

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
An old Amiga platform game my uncle had, you play as a red and blue guy, maybe ninjas? The first boss is this weird rock or tree thing in a cave, pretty sure it attacks you with it's hands? Maybe you can't even see it's face, just the eyes? Really can't remember but it used to terrify me as a kid

O5ighter

Community Coordinator at Giants Software
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Erlangen, Germany
There is a game i don't remember!

I only ever played a demo of it, but basically it was an RTS in the late 90s where you controlled ships in a greek setting and you could do ramming and boarding and load up the ships with catapults and troops for all of that.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
An old Amiga platform game my uncle had, you play as a red and blue guy, maybe ninjas? The first boss is this weird rock or tree thing in a cave, pretty sure it attacks you with it's hands? Maybe you can't even see it's face, just the eyes? Really can't remember but it used to terrify me as a kid
Second Samurai?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

7sqDgtm.png

Mega Twins / Chiki Chiki Boys.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
There is a game i don't remember!

I only ever played a demo of it, but basically it was an RTS in the late 90s where you controlled ships in a greek setting and you could do ramming and boarding and load up the ships with catapults and troops for all of that.
We talking an RTS exclusively focused on naval warfare, or was that a component of the game? Also, was it a Greek setting, or Greek-inspired? Age of Empires and Populous come to mind. If it's not strictly an RTS, but rather a strategy game, we could also throw in Sierra's city builder "Zeus".

O5ighter

Community Coordinator at Giants Software
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Erlangen, Germany
We talking an RTS exclusively focused on naval warfare, or was that a component of the game? Also, was it a Greek setting, or Greek-inspired? Age of Empires and Populous come to mind. If it's not strictly an RTS, but rather a strategy game, we could also throw in Sierra's city builder "Zeus".
No the Naval Warfare was the exclusive gameplay component, it was also pixel style and 2D and very much in a greek setting, the ships were all triremes and such, with temples dedicated to Ares where you could get wonders and such.

Oct 26, 2017

Cyberrace?

Donuts

Oct 28, 2017
I've got two games I've been thinking about for years but haven't tried to figure out what they are.
(Both were when I was a kid so it would be around the PS1 era. Not necessarily on the PS1 though)

Game 1: top down camera. 2d game, or at least 2d characters. Very colorful but I remember very specifically an auto scrolling lava type level with a narrow path going up and lava bouncing around as well as enemies spawning. Here's a unique thing about the game: whenever a person died, an icon pops up where they died that shows your characters icon. You can press left and right so switch the character you are. These icons are pixel art. That's all I got.

Game 2: Think contra hard corps as a base. You're a regular looking dude, possibly with melee weapon but likely just shooting stuff. I remember the background looking like a field of trees / mountains in the distance and it scrolled for this boss. The boss is a giant metal robot looking thing you see off in the distance, then it jumps into the area under you. There are walls on the left and right side of you and platforms connecting the walls. You need to jump up the platforms while fighting the boss and there's a lot of scrolling / action.